• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Trick-or-Treating childish?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    Like the title said. A lot of people say that only kids Trick-or-Treat, and you should stop when you get older and all that.
    Personally I don't find it childish. After all, it's free candy.

GGJ

Roaming & Learning
    Years
    Nah bro, I'm going to go this year as Michael Jackson and me and some of my friends will go dancing down the streets to MJ songs.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    It's not childish, but it's for children. :x Think of it this way - if everyone was out trick or treating, who would be left to give out the candy? And even if there were people over, say, 30 or 40 that gave out candy, they would have to buy so much more candy and it wouldn't even be fun anymore tbh. It's acceptable to trick or treat as a teenager, with friends instead of family. But after you're out of high school imo, you shouldn't do it anymore.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Yes, of course it's childish, but why on earth does that mean that adults shouldn't do it?

EDIT: Please note that I got ninja'd three times while posting this and if you pretend my post came first, it gives it much more of a wise, sage-like quality lol

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I don't want any grown men coming up to my doorstep dressed as something and wanting free candy. I don't mind adults dressing up for Halloween, but damn, go to a party or costume contest or something. Older people can buy their own candy. This is a kid's time to horde in the candy and get cavities and all that. There's just a point where you have to realize you've outgrown the trick-or-treating time in your life, really. Dress up and chaperon your kids/cousins/etc when they go, but don't expect any candy. Like I said, most older people are making their own money and can buy their own candy.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    It's not childish, but it's for children. :x Think of it this way - if everyone was out trick or treating, who would be left to give out the candy? And even if there were people over, say, 30 or 40 that gave out candy, they would have to buy so much more candy and it wouldn't even be fun anymore tbh. It's acceptable to trick or treat as a teenager, with friends instead of family. But after you're out of high school imo, you shouldn't do it anymore.

Yeah, I agree there. I love trick or treating, but I wouldn't be doing it after 16 or 17...

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    It's not childish, but it's for children.
    A bit like Pokémon, if you think about it. :>

I figure Trick-or-Treating is fine 'till you hit 20 as long as you're going with like cousins or younger kids. I mean I'm going this year in a Doctor Who-themed group which is mainly composed of high school underclassmen. And it will be quite fun. :>

/really just justifying herself

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
    Technically, if the adult is going with little children, I don't mind them trick or treating. IN fact, I would specifically WANT to give them candy for being cool enough to dress up with their children. But if the adult is all by them self, or with other adults, nuh uh. Like Sydian said, get your own candy. xD

THEROGE12

V The Roge x
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 8, 2012
    Trick or Treating is for people With Swag Thats why im going dressing like a mattress

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    I dont think its childisn nessesarily but it is for children. As others have said adults/ older people can buy their own candy. I wouldnt want to get a costume and stuff now. I'll stay at home,eat candy and watch a movie or something.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I don't know... at my age it just seems tempting to go trick-or-treating because you just want the candy. But at the same time I feel a bit old myself.

But then, I am forced to go trick-or-treating this year because of my niece. I'm trying to show her the ropes of getting candy and how trick-or-treating is fun. xD

Her

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2024
    To me, if you're an adult the only places you should be dressing up for Halloween should be: if you're going to an office party or you're welcoming kids at the door because you're a 34 year old mom who is handing out candy because you want to feel ~hip~ and in with the kids. It's just creepy to me if I see a fully grown man dressed as Satan walking around with his two kids who are respectively a princess and a witch.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    You are never too old for free candy.

Actually, scratch that, you can be. Like, I don't want some 40-year-old dude decked out in some sort of costume at my door wanting candy. If you can afford to buy yourself a Halloween costume, you can afford your own candy kthx. It's cute when little kids come to your door and they're all dressed up in little pumpkin or vampire or princess costumes and ask for candy but for a grown human being it's creepy and I might slam the door in your face. Oh god especially if he's like, by himself with no kids. :/ -shudders- I haven't even trick-or-treated since I was thirteen. Just... leave it for kids.

But I'll be honest, I do miss free candy.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Even though I don't trick or treat that much anymore, I don't think trick or treating is childish because there are still some adults who dress up in costumes. Plus, they might want some free candy.

Years
    If someone older than myself showed up at the door by themselves, I'd be a little hesitant to give them candy.

I don't mind if an older sibling/cousin, etc. goes trick-or-treating with younger family members, because I always remember my favorite Halloweens being when I went with my cousins. It's also nice to see parents dressing up when they take out their kids as well, although I probably wouldn't give them any free candy.

While I don't neccessarily think it's childish to go trick-or-treating, you shouldn't be expecting to get free candy from strangers when you're old enough to work and buy your own (and as others have said, if you can afford a costume, you can afford a bag of candy).

Years
    I don't think there should be any age-limit or objection to trick-or-treating. Anyone can doing anything they like. Besides it gives more chance for family bonding when both adults and children trick-or-treat together. But I've stopped for a while because I can never finish the candy and I might get stomachaches. xD I usually visit the houses who are known to only have tricks, I always like to see what new things they have up their sleeves. ;D

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    According to my mum it's begging. xD; I've only ever did it at two halloween parties, when I was 9-11, but I don't really feel like an adult should really go trick or treating, I mean they have the money to go into a store and buy some. I can't really think of anything else to contribute to this topic, most of what I think has already been said.

Back