• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Isshu's gone Unova?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • anyone notice that all of the previous regions had an "o" sound in them?
    they may have changed it so that the name would keep that traditional "o" sound that it's predecessors had.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • The English name for Isshu is ok. I'm gonna have a hard time saying it, though, since I literally got used to saying (and misspelling, lol) "Isshu" since the beginning.

Oh, and Rais brought up a good point there. I guess they wanted all the regions to have O's in them. No wonder!

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Unova isn't a horrible name for the region. Personally, Isshu just rolls off the tongue a lot easier, and I'm used to regarding the new region as that. It won't take long to adjust though. It may not be the best region name, but it's not terrible either.

I like that it has multiple meanings to it, and it's not only the English copies getting a whole conversion from Isshu. To me, that's what caught me by surprise the most. The fact that they made a whole turn around from Isshu to Unova wasn't all expected.

Makes me curious though. If Unova was created by compiling more than one word together, and they did the same with the starters. I wonder if more of the translations in names will be words put together, than something all original. I know they've done this before in the past, but it seems to occur to me that they're doing it more so now.

Are they really running out of ideas? :x

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • As I mentioned in my first post, the region is apparently getting different names in every language. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it's handled in Canada and PAL regions due to the multiple languages used there. By the way, "no va" is Spanish for "doesn't go" so a change was fairly obvious there... but why use a third name? (NO WYNAUT PUNS PLEASE! THIS IS A RHETORICAL QUESTION!)

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • I prefer saying Isshu, more importantly Isshu chi o (or however you say it). Unova is awkward. But since it's based on the United States as a whole as opposed to just New York though the map shape says otherwise, I like it. Move over Isshu :cer_cry: Hello Unova :|

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I actually prefer Unova to Isshu.
    Me too but most seem to complain about it's new name ehh I guess we all have different opinions
    I wonder what the home town will be called...it's always a plant related name except for Pallet which was a color...
    We have had Newbark, Littleroot, Twinleaf, so maybe it's related to the Stem like Littlestem...nah that doesn't work...Newrose, New(insert flower here)

Years
  • "Oh no! I don't like the name so I'll let it ruin my opinion of the games!" or in other words, "Oh no, change!"
    Seriously? A little bit of change won't ruin your experience of the game, don't act like it's the end of the world.

If you don't like it, don't use it.

Years
  • I like that they tried to give it a name that could have multiple interpretations, similar to how Isshu can mean a couple of different things, but I just don't like the sound of Unova. I also expect that if I hear it pronounced I'm going to hear "you-know-va" and that sounds worse to me than the way I imagine it's said, "oo-no-va".

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I bet you all objected to "Shinou" or whatever it was being changed to "Sinnoh"....

My point is, we'll get used to it...I like as now I won't know what the region's called if I avoid this section....adds a newness when I don't know the whole storyline already :D

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I wonder how Orre fits into all of this...
    Although Orre is supposedly based off of Arizona, I don't think it'd get necessarily even get a mention in B&W as it's a region made by a different company (Genius Sonority) as opposed to Game Freak.

Headfirst For Halos

[insert ellipses here]
    Years
  • Fandoms are a funny thing. When change comes around, fans say RUINED FOREVER! Then watch when everyone chills out about it when Black and White comes out. /end rant

I personally like the name. Unova reminds me of "supernova", which is pretty cool yes scary.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back