• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I've been denied Halloween twice...and ignored when I needed sympathy

Garouga! Bare Your Fangs!

Throw your fangs up!
Years
  • When you reach this age, trick-or-treating is boring anyway. Other Halloween possibilities become available, and they're much more appealing. For example, I'm going to a 18+ Halloween party with my girlfriend and entering her costume in a Sexiest Animal contest. You can't do -that- when you're 12.

(It's a bunny, by the way.)

Autistic Lucario

Life is too short not to enjoy
    Years
  • When you reach this age, trick-or-treating is boring anyway. Other Halloween possibilities become available, and they're much more appealing. For example, I'm going to a 18+ Halloween party with my girlfriend and entering her costume in a Sexiest Animal contest. You can't do -that- when you're 12.

(It's a bunny, by the way.)

There are no parties or events in my area either. Everyone's going elsewhere. Meanwhile, I'm in my room, watching the day and night go by.

This is my halloween costume by the way:

http://www.victoryroad.net/picture.php?albumid=237&pictureid=2312

Mom's staying home too, taking phone calls.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    There are plenty of parties in my area. I mean, I got to what was once ranked the Number 1 Party School in America by Playboy magazine. I just don't enjoy the types of parties they have here: lots of drinking and pot usage.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    There is strong evidence the users here in general are too busy enjoying talking about costumes and trick-or-treating that they have forgotten or outright ignore those who aren't as lucky. It's sickening.
    You keep talking about your mother when you blatantly forget that not everyone on this site is fortunate enough to have a mother with them today. It's sickening.
    One day, everyone will reach my age and realize that life isn't all sunshine and lollipops.
    And of course, going on the Internet and trying to fish for pity is the perfect solution.
    Spoiler alert! Some things can't be solved by the Internet. Maybe if you try fixing some things yourself instead of begging for sympathy on a pokemon forum, you won't have as much trouble.

I can tell you're social, why can't you just have a party over Skype/MSN/Yahoo/etc. with some of your friends here? Unless you have some sort of strict moral guidelines that prevent having fun online.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • I've kind of got a similar situation happening with me this year. Three of my good friends are out of town together. They went to a concert. I was never invited, could not have gone with them anyway for unrelated reasons, but would have appreciated at least one of them asking if I even wanted to go. They're supposed to get back tonight but I'm half expecting them to say something like "Nah, we've had our fun this past weekend so we're gonna get some sleep for school tomorrow." So there goes a good part of my social group.

Another one of my friends is religious and therefor won't do anything on a Sunday. A lot of my other friends live too far away. There's a few people I could call, and probably will, but it's definitely not going to feel like Halloween this year.

Oh, and my mom has told me all this past month that I am too old to go trick-or-treating. I went last year, and it was awesome. Of course I got plenty of weird looks and aren't-you-too-old?s, but that's part of the fun.

Stuff happens. You've just got to deal with it.

Massacre.

sky's on fire again
    Years
  • I will never go trick-or-treating again, due to the incident with my dad, razors, and costume less running. They stuck razorblades in it, and my dad was freaking out, and blamed me all night. That was when I was 11. And I never liked anything, all trick or treating sucked then :( To sum it up, Age don't matter in my town, they were not enjoyable, etc.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • There is strong evidence the users here in general are too busy enjoying talking about costumes and trick-or-treating that they have forgotten or outright ignore those who aren't as lucky. It's sickening.

One day, everyone will reach my age and realize that life isn't all sunshine and lollipops.
    The days leading up to Christmas was dominated by my divorced parents arguing.

This Halloween, we didn't get to decorate (Not even the minimal decorations that we've started putting out ever since all Hell broke loose), besides a badly carved Jack-O-Lantern ("Badly carved" because it's really hard to carve the Georgia Tech logo (Which is also McGill-Toolen's) into a pumpkin).

My freshmen year (last year) sucked horribly, and I got almost no sympathy because of it. Now I do, but it seems slightly late. My brother was in China, my sister was too busy with her life.

This year, I have to beg for a ride home every day, because I don't have a regular ride, and I live across the bay from where my school is.

And yet... Besides a few outbursts, I typically don't complain. Quite the opposite. I cheerfully lend a hand at home, and try to live life in an upbeat manner.

Life sucks when you want it to.

So don't want it.

Garouga! Bare Your Fangs!

Throw your fangs up!
    Years
  • The days leading up to Christmas was dominated by my divorced parents arguing.

Mine too, but 'cause the divorce finalized on New Year's Day. XD

Halloween update: I loves me some sexy animals, but not birds. >_<

Oh, and I'm currently sitting here, playing MW2, and listening to my mom explain to this drunk redneck guy that the people across the street will never answer the door 'cause they got arrested. All in all, a good night.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Autistic Lucario... I think you need to realize that yes, this stuff happens. And sitting around pitying yourself is only going to make it worse. Also, other people have issues too, not just you. You need to quit depressing yourself and then taking all your angst out on a Pokemon forum. :/

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • And sitting around pitying yourself is only going to make it worse. Also, other people have issues too, not just you. You need to quit depressing yourself and then taking all your angst out on a Pokemon forum. :/

This. Trust me... I, for one, enjoy life more when I force myself to be happy.

Just make sure you find an outlet, though. Meido Stress Explosions are very bad.

Years
  • Uhh, well, it just seems like a part of growing up. I mean, once you're past a certain age, you're expected to grow out of things, like believing in Santa, Easter Bunny, and trick or treating. Lol.

I mean, if you want to dress up, you could go to a Halloween party. If you can't find one, then...maybe start your own? At this point, it might be too short notice, but..yeah.

Life's whatever you make of it. It can be magical with sunshine and lollipops, or...blah.

I have to question, though:
    Next morning, I didn't get any compensation. Didn't even get any sympathy. It was just another day. Halloween didn't happen that year, and it won't happen this year either. There are no parties in my area, and even if they were, the only person who can drive is in another country.
    How are we supposed to sympathize your lack of reception of sympathizing when..you just walked out and left? It wasn't a very mature thing to do, and so, I don't blame your parents. :[ It's just a matter of being mature enough to deal with it..or if you're not having a good time, instead of just LEAVING your parents there, talk to them and see if they are willing to leave. Express how you don't feel comfortable there.
    This kind of ties into why your mom might've been like:
    There comes a time when your parents just don't want to have fun anymore. My mom said that I'm not going to trick-or-treat, not even with my friend because I'm "too old." I can't even go with my friend. So what does she say we're going to do? "We're going to stay home and do nothing." She actually said that. I don't get it...all the little kids are having the time of their lives, and their parents are enjoying it too. I love the Halloween costume I have now (necromancer) and I see no reason to stop enjoying myself on Halloween.

I mean, it's just about making friends, and whatnot. I had a lot of friends who are my age [eighteen+] who dressed up, and we hung out tonight. It was great. ^-^;
    Or, go to a club! :D
    I went to an awfully cowboy club last night with my friends and there were a bunch of people dressed up :>
    There was this girl who was like a Na'vi and she won the contest. She was amazing XD

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • I had no responses...nothing. Not even a "that sucks." The conversation about costumes continued right over my post about being denied Halloween a second time. This is why I don't use PC much anymore. People ignore everything I post. I don't even get any sympathy if I have problems.

There is strong evidence the users here in general are too busy enjoying talking about costumes and trick-or-treating that they have forgotten or outright ignore those who aren't as lucky. It's sickening.

I've got four years on you, and I realized that life isn't sunshine and lollipops LONG ago. And while I'm quite open about that, I don't try to drag down others.

I've never gone to a Halloween party, simply because Halloween is my favorite day of the year (and October is my favorite month), and I'd rather not spend it out doing (in my opinion) meaningless things, such as partying. I usually spend it reading a good spooky book or watching horror movies, and only on trick or treat night do I "hang out", and that's only with my family. Halloween is a state of mind; you can party any time of the year. What's not every year is being able to see the leaves change colors and start falling, or seeing Jack-O-Lanterns adorn houses, or have a little extra jolt when you see a cemetery.

Halloween day I woke up to my mom telling me that our tires had been slashed... and I live in suburbia.

Anyway, instead of looking for sympathy, why didn't you take part in the costume thread? What happened to you does indeed suck, but why make yourself feel worse about it? I remember when I got dumped (about a year and a month ago), I looked for sympathy but got a surprisingly low amount, so I moved to diverting my attention. And know what? The latter worked so much better.

Misery indeed loves company, but misery is a wicked thing, and doesn't deserve company; so I always try my best not to let it have any.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I haven't went trick-or-treating in 4 years. And I'm only 15. I stopped caring for Hallowe'en, I grew out of it. Life was never sunshine and lollipops, it was a dark and bitter hell. Most people would die if they knew all the disturbances that I do.

In the country where I'm from (originally), there is NO HALLOWE'EN. Nothing. Nada. Just a normal day.

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    I wrote this in the wonderful Halloween Haunt chat because I was hoping someone could cheer me up.

I had no responses...nothing. Not even a "that sucks." The conversation about costumes continued right over my post about being denied Halloween a second time. This is why I don't use PC much anymore. People ignore everything I post. I don't even get any sympathy if I have problems.

You know what? Shut it. People have worse lives than you, often in ages WAY younger. you didn't get to celebrate Halloween? I had to sit in a stinkin wheelchair for six months. You know why I didn't complain? Cause I knew there were people out there who had it worse! Guess what? I haven't celebrated Halloween for five stinking years because of a stupid disease! You know why I don't complain? Cause people have it worse, and I still see the frickin kids outside having a blast. So you can shut it. Man, I have always wanted to say that to a person who was way older than me. XD

Rucario

Madam you see before you stand
    Years
  • I read this and my first reaction was "-_-" and then I read it again. Then it was ಠ_ಠ.

Seriously. There are people out there with bigger problems out there than you.

"Wah, I can't go trick-or-treating. Feel bad for me."

We're not going to give you sympathy for something so stupid like this. If you were this desperate to go trick-or-treating, tell your parents about it. Maybe they would feel bad for you and tell you to get it together. Seriously, they probably don't even know you are this upset about it. If they did, I'm sure they would see that you are overreacting to something so pathetic that it doesn't even deserve a thread and let you go trick-or-treating.

/tl;dr?

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Just be glad you didnt spend the whole halloween weekend working on an english paper even though you planned on a little more candy. ಠ.ಠ

FML

thorn96

Fool! I am the weasel!
    Years
  • At least you have the memories. But you can't be young forever, not even if you really want to. So make the most of what you've got, you'll have other things you can celebrate.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Why you didn't just go out and Trick-or-treat where you live on your own makes no sense to me. You are eighteen, you are an adult and can make your own damned decisions. Just because you have a "hard" life doesn't make you deserving of any sympathy, especially when so many others - even some posting in this very thread - have it much worse off than you.

I, for example, don't remember a thing about Halloween when I was seven. You want to know why? My dad died just a few days earlier and I've apparently repressed the absolute **** out of the weeks that followed, because the next memory after the night I found out is the actual funeral, and that is incredibly hazy. This one bad experience didn't ruin things for me though, as I thoroughly enjoyed Trick-or-treating until I turned 17, the point at which I decided I'd rather stay home and watch zombie movies than beg for candy.

Last edited:
    Back