• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Johto-Kanto's Underground?

Will there be a new Underground?

• Yep

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • Nope

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 30 46.9%
  • It's the same for me...

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • They're useless in Johto

Votes: 7 10.9%

• Total voters
Well, Hello guys. I was viewing the new picks of HG/SS and I found those air vents that are in Sinnoh:
Johto-Kanto's Underground?

In Sinnoh, when you "talk" with these air vents, it says:
"It's an air vent that exchanges the UNDERGROUND tunnel's air."

So what do you think?
They added it just as a detail to make look Johto more modern or they'll include a new underground?

Last edited:

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    It just may be a possibility that the Underground feature will be added in again. I honestly wouldn't mind because it is a bit fun digging for fossils and all. Seeing this, if we can safely assume that there will be an underground, then there might be a possibility of Move Tutors as well; propper assumption anyway.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    An underground feature would be pretty damn awesome, especially if it connected Kanto and Johto together.

Can't see any reason why it can't happen.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I would love for an Underground in Kanto/Johto. I don't see why they couldn't have one. ( "It's not in the original" doesn't count.) Digging up the fossils, and jewels would be a fun experience.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    An underground for the Johto would be pretty cool. There is a possibility that there is going to be one if it has one of those.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    When I first heard about the Sinnoh Underground, I personally saw it as Nintendo/Gamefreak's attempt at adding in a second region without actually creating a second region. Now that they are remaking games that already included two regions, however... If Nintendo can successfully add in an entire Underground on top of upgrading Kanto and Johto, then excellent. However, I am not going to count on it for the time being.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Some people see it as lamps. I see it as Johto/Kanto having a slight edge in technology and are able to have thinner vents. And not to mention how awesome it would be to have 2 undergrounds.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Whoa. I think I just realized how pressed for space this could get. 3d Plat style Johto, (hopefully) revitalized 3d Kanto, all-new Underground, any new features, etc...
    This could get cramped fast...

I would like the destruction of the Underground, and have it go to an above ground multiplayer mode, but at this point, that would probably be too much to ask...

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    I'm with Forci Stikane, personally. Though in this day and age, size issues shouldn't be too much of a problem. I don't think it would take too much effort to make a DS Cartridge with a greater capacity to handle the potential additions that HG/SS may have to offer. But then again, I don't know anything about the size of the latest DS games.

I'll stay on the fence about the whole Underground thing, for now; it might be something they scrap in the final version, if they are indeed air vents. Though I do admit, it would be a nice little addition to the game. So long as it doesn't take away from what the original had.

We'll just all have to wait and see, when the time for the Japanese release gets closer. XD

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Having an underground that would connect the Johto and Kanto would be neat. Except, they would have to do it in a way where cannot get to the next region early in the game. xD

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Whoa. I think I just realized how pressed for space this could get. 3d Plat style Johto, (hopefully) revitalized 3d Kanto, all-new Underground, any new features, etc...
    This could get cramped fast...

I would like the destruction of the Underground, and have it go to an above ground multiplayer mode, but at this point, that would probably be too much to ask...
    No it wouldn't. DPPt takes up only 64MB. That is 1/4th of the DS's max card size. So having all this would be no problem. If not the game would be huge. 1 undergrounds 2 regions Sevii Islands the works. Bigger Better Faster. This will be the pinnacle of the series mark my words.

I'm with Forci Stikane, personally. Though in this day and age, size issues shouldn't be too much of a problem. I don't think it would take too much effort to make a DS Cartridge with a greater capacity to handle the potential additions that HG/SS may have to offer. But then again, I don't know anything about the size of the latest DS games.

I'll stay on the fence about the whole Underground thing, for now; it might be something they scrap in the final version, if they are indeed air vents. Though I do admit, it would be a nice little addition to the game. So long as it doesn't take away from what the original had.

We'll just all have to wait and see, when the time for the Japanese release gets closer. XD
    As I stated space is the smallest worry. Yeah we will see. Maybe the underground will be more awesome then the Sinnoh one?
    Lulz. Do you guys wonder whether this underground system will have Wi-Fi capabilities? XD
    Netto I honestly have no idea. I would love it but no idea.

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
    Years

Actually, Nintendo should have prepared for this kind of game.
    They pulled it off with Mother 3 (32mb compared to a 16mb
    Pokemon game), so why not Pokemon? Also, I believe GTA:CW
    is one of the biggest DS games. The save file was so big, the ROM
    needed a patch to actually play the game.

Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver could easily pull off another underground.
    "Will they do it?" is the question. Let's use factual evidence, now.
    the point (aside from the new features the underground itself created,
    like spheres) of an underground in D/P/Pt was Fossils, Stones/Plates/Items,
    and finally, a Secret Base. Now let's try to find alternate ways of incorporating
    these features into HG/SS if it were to exclude the underground.

Secret Base:
    the TM could easily have an overworld use and the original
    Secret Bases could return
    Stones/Plates/Items: the player just has to live with one of that item, or
    they'll be able to purchas/find more of those itmes later on in the game.
    Fossils: in FR/LG, Fossils were a one time thing. In D/P/Pt, there was no
    set way to obtain fossils, and therefore, no way to get Aerodactyl, Omanyte,
    Kabuto, Lileep, Anorith, Cranidos, and Shieldon.. until they invented the
    underground, that is.

Now let's think of the Johto compatibilities. Secret bases and the items
    could easily be inserted. Fossils.. the only fossil pokemon I remember is
    getting an aerodactyl for a chansey by link-trade from a girl in Kanto.
    Other than that, I don't think there's any other way to obtain fossils,
    let alone the new DPPt ones (unless they come out with a fossil shop!)
    Either than any other alternate fossil system theym ay randomly create
    in HG/SS, there's no way to obtain the fossils.

IN CONCLUSION:

There IS a possibility of an underground. The air vents is just
    more proof and gives more of a possibility.. Based on facts, there is
    reason to create another Underground. For both regions? That's
    on the fence. One underground seems enough. I don't really see
    the point of hacing TWO undergrounds..

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    I could most definitely see them including the underground in the game, seeing as how it added many mini-games to D/P/Pt. It's also a much more fun way to get fossils and Heart Scales. :/

Lynx1

has significant angst
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2011
    It'd be a nice way to get evolutionary stones, considering how rare they were in the originals.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Loved it before, I'll love it again, and this time, in Johto and Kanto! :D
    Hopefully there will be Wi-Fi connection with it as well. :)

Lily!

moved
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2010
    I think there will be an underground included. It will probably have more capabilities than the one's in D/P/Pl.

This is a mere observation, but I noticed in Platinum's Villa, whenever you talk to Roark he says something about extending the underground to places like Kanto and Johto. Of course, this could just be a meaningless coincidence, but I've also noticed many other references to Johto (second Gen) in Platinum. :o

To be honest, I really love the idea of the underground and it seems like something they'd continue through in Pokemon. The picture of the underground air vents has me more convinced that it will happen.​

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I'd be fine with an underground system, I think it'd be cake :D

I have to agree with Penumbra on the whole TWO region underground, it just seems a little to excessive.

Now if they would use Kanto for something like above ground wireless, I would enjoy that.

BlueShadow

Banned
    Years
    There will be an underground in Johto and Kanto because there is a hint in Pokemon Platinum.... When Roark is inside the Villa in Resort Area, he says that he is thinking to expand the underground in Johto and Kanto! So that's a good clue that there will be an underground

Back