• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Journal] junojournal [PokeCommunity Space Colony - Rimworld]

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I am gripped by this storyline and eagerly anticipate my inevitable gruesome death
    No one is dying under my excellent management skills
    Name: Mercury 'MF Bro' Frogbro

Kinsey Scale: 5
    Merc your age is gonna take you out in 2 minutes before my poor management skills can

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
      [tab=updates2][/tab] [tab=join2][/tab] [tab=colonists2][/tab]

UPDATES

In this chapter...

Drew 'Deva' Lue has joined the colony!
    Mercury 'MF Bro' Frogbro has joined the colony!
    Vendily 'Vend' Luigi has joined the colony!

Details below!​

Housekeeping

We are stabilizing and getting comfortable in our little 4-person colony, so it should not be a problem adding new colonists soon. We've mainly been tidying up our base and minding our own business, but we do receive a distress call from Austin's fiancee requesting rescue. We have 20 days to do this, so I put this on the backburner while we continue to clean up our homestead.

I don't think I've really taken any wide shots of the entire base, so this is where we're at (I write these logs as I play so this is actually near the end of the session, not where I'm at in writing, which is why you will see we already have 7 people here) - white squares are the planning tool, and as you can see, I'm planning to accommodate at least 20 colonists, but there's definitely room in this mountain to expand further.

CTRL-click to expand

In this time, Inky tames a blue meadow ave, but it looks like a chocobo so we'll call it that. And so does Inky, because I asked him for a name and he calls it Chocustin. I probably should have mentioned she is female, but this is now Chocustin.

CTRL-click to expand

Some friendly weapons traders pass through and stay for the night. We don't really have any silver yet and we need all our resources, so we passed on the trading opportunity, but they proved to be very helpful nonetheless, because just then, some monstrous mammoth slug creatures also roll up on our base and decide to attack. We could have tried to take them on ourselves, but, you know what, the traders have like a party of 20 and there's only 4 of us (2 armed with ranged weapons) in gazelle-leather parkas with no defence structures built yet, so instead of tactically mapping a battle strategy, I tactically locked the door and let our guests take care of the threat. They are weapons traders, after all, and as I thought, they took it out with no issues and no casualties. The thing never even got near us.

CTRL-click to expand

Inky hauls the carcass into our freezer in the morning - this is our property, after all - and this gives us some valuable black insect chitin after Tara chops it up, which we can use to craft durable armor with later.

CTRL-click to expand

Before that, though, because the monster did spawn near the top of the map, I wanted to mention it took out the spider colony I was afraid of up top, so we no longer have to worry about that anymore.

CTRL-click to expand

Man, look at all the death and blood that accumulated up there in this short time

Some more 'minding our own business' time passes, and we can't have that, so some bandits come to raid our home.

Raid & Recruit

I appreciate that there is a whole shootout happening right outside our base and Faffy decides to step out and casually play a game of horseshoes in the middle of this.

CTRL-click to expand

We actually end up not killing them, so we are able to take them prisoner with the intention of recruiting them, and I name them after our friends Devalue and Mercury here. This is where Faf gets to shine with her social skills, as she works to break our prisoners' resistance and convince them to join. I'm glossing over this a bit but it does take a good amount of time. Luckily, I have a few screenshots to help document the timeframe - our prisoners were taken on the 5th of Aprimay (how time works), and Merc's resistance was broken on the 8th of Jugust.

This was no doubt delayed by the fact he was mysteriously starving a few times in our care despite having set the priority of prisoner care to 1 for both Tara and Faffy, but I later caught Chocustin stealing the food left for MF Bro in his room, so that was probably why.

CTRL-click to expand

Deva was recruited earlier on, but doesn't accurately reflect the time it takes as he was recruited during a stroke of inspiration for Faf, which guarantees recruitment.

So! Let's say hi to our new friends.

CTRL-click to expand

Well, "friends" - we'll get there in time, they were just shackled to a bed for like a month and was shot a few times by us, so it'll be a while before they warm up to the gang.

CTRL-click to expand

Deva has great potential to be an excellent combatant, and botanist apparently. The slowpoke trait (speed -20% only affects movement speed) might be a bit difficult to work with in battle, but he can shoot from behind the lines so he won't have to run around. Industrious is great, he will get more done, and faster, in general. It looks like he's had a hard life, and we'll expand upon every new member's backstories in the Current Colonists tab.

CTRL-click to expand

MF Bro is an interesting character. His childhood and the fact he tried to raid our camp suggests a not so great person, but his traits say otherwise. He is very young though, so he can probably turn a new leaf with the right crowd (the right crowd being us). Speaking of leaves, he has a smokeleaf dependency that we will try to kick - firstly because drugs are bad mmkay, but also we do not have any drugs to feed his addiction anyway, so he has a tough withdrawal up ahead that will make him very grumpy for a while. He can spend his time doing something else he is passionate about, like crafting - our clothes are becoming quite tattered, and that won't do with winter coming up, so he can sew some mittens and shirts for everyone as he battles his addiction.

CTRL-click to expand

At this point, I notice a trend I'm not sure I like - of our 6 colonists currently, Faffy, Austin, MF Bro and Deva are incapable of caring - not in like the psychopathic way but it means they are unable to learn medic skills. This isn't a huge deal yet but I will want to recruit at least one other person proficient in tending to patients. Even Tara's not a great doctor yet, with a skill of 5, but she is passionate about it, so she can learn with more medical training opportunities.

And the other reason we need a second doctor quickly arises - what happens when our doctor gets sick?

CTRL-click to expand

Tara, out of nowhere, comes down with the fucking plague for some reason, and only her, and no one can fix Tara besides Tara, so we check the self-tend box and she does that. Her immunity was looking mighty low for a while and I thought she was going to be our first casualty, but she is tasked with just taking it easy and focus on healing, so she clutches it out eventually and was able to gain immunity before the plague killed her. I didn't send anyone anywhere in this time, because there is no doctor available to fix anyone if someone got shot or bitten.

Prisonbreak

We have enough food stockpiled at this point Tara does not need to cook for a while, and as she slowly recovers, I do remember that Austin's fiancee is still waiting for rescue, so with 3 days to spare, we finally form a small caravan with Austin, Inky and Chocustin to find the location she is held captive.

CTRL-click to expand

It's a short walk to the campsite - we probably should have tamed two Chocobos since they are fast mounts, but even with Inky riding and Austin probably running behind them, they make it to the location in about 2 days. Vend (Corezha pre-rename) is guarded by one guy and 2 turrets. The guy does not have a ranged weapon, so we just have to worry about the turrets. We're able to stand just out of range and shoot at the solar panel powering one of them, which of course draws the attention of Konstantin here, and he makes his way over.

CTRL-click to expand

Since he's just got a spear, we kite him around with Inky while Austin shoots at him, and the rest of the rescue goes smoothly. Austin gets shot a little bit by the other turret, and Inky takes a nap in the grass immediately, after all that shooting, but we get Vend out! Since there are no more threats in the area, they just sleep here for the night, and in the morning, we loot up everything we can carry and go home.

CTRL-click to expand

Vend is another plants person, so our farm is going to thrive with her, Deva and Tara tending to it. This Vend is unfortunately nowhere near as smart as the real Vend, but she's still got a solid skillset and has a great passion for learning how to bludgeon people. Incapable of dumb labor means she won't clean or haul, but that's not a big deal, and she is capable of tending to patients, which is great news.

CTRL-click to expand

Misc.

Some other stuff and things happen, but those were the highlights. On the animals front, I saw a single phoenix owlcat wandering into the map and it's cute, so I wanted it.

CTRL-click to expand

He doesn't really do anything, he can't fight or haul and produces no resources, but I name him after my cat and he wanders around the base and eats our food. Love him.

Another giant slug thing attacks our base, and there are not traders to defend us this time, so Austin and Inky take care of it. It was downed with about 5 hours to live, so I actually decided to have Tara patch it up. Apparently these things are not naturally aggressive and make great mounts? They only aggro when part of a raid, so I think we can fix this one up and tame it for a mount. I hope it doesn't eat too much.

CTRL-click to expand

And that's where we are for now! Tune in next time to find out if mammoth worms make good pets or not. I think the mayoral elections are coming up, too - this is part of the Psychology mod and this is the first time I've played with it, so I have no idea how it'll go either and what influences voting/candidacy.

I should also look into building a crematorium because a lot of dead bodies are piling up outside our base. I didn't talk about the small, one-man raids but we had to shoot a few people dead and they're just kind of lying out there, rotting and really bumming everyone out.

Yeah... you shot him

JOIN

I'd love for more PC members to join! As mentioned, recruiting new members is a slow process, but ideally, I'd like to add as many of you as I can. If you're interested in seeing yourself in these updates, fill this out so I know your preferences and every time a new colonist joins PokeCommune, I'll randomize for a member and name the new colonist after someone here. Just leave a post here with the following:
    Name: Format has to be Firstname 'Nickname' Lastname - most important part is the nickname, since that is how the game refers to you as (eg. Faffy is Fafrir 'Faffy' Dragon, and the game calls her Faffy), so if you don't care about your first and last name, I can just randomize that.

Gender: The game only has male or female, sorry enby friends :( Leave blank if it doesn't matter.

Kinsey Scale: 0-6. Leave blank if it doesn't matter, but the game assigns 0 or 1 to most colonists.

There's a whole bunch of stats and backstories each colonist has (see: Backstories and Traits on the wiki for just the vanilla ones), but I think it would be best to randomize everything except for the ones listed above to keep it more fair.

CURRENT COLONISTS

Here is everyone currently living in PokéCommune. Expand spoilers for their traits and backstories.

Tarannasaurus 'Tara' Rex

wYzpWXL.png
    Spoiler:

Sugar 'Inky' Osborne

wb0NC3z.png
    Spoiler:

Fafrir 'Faffy' Dragon

PKldTp8.png
    Spoiler:

Austinky 'Austin' Dafo

61p6BXh.png
    Spoiler:

Drew 'Deva' Lue

zbJpDu5.png
    Spoiler:

Mercury 'MF Bro' Frogbro

ip67LPY.png
    Spoiler:

Vendily 'Vend' Luigi

jHx4h4F.png
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    can i join the ship pwease? :plead_emoji:

rabi!!! yes, fill out the thing in the "Join" section if you want some say in how you'll appear in game - I know it's not terribly inclusive but:

Name: Format has to be Firstname 'Nickname' Lastname - most important part is the nickname, since that is how the game refers to you as (eg. Faffy is Fafrir 'Faffy' Dragon, and the game calls her Faffy), so if you don't care about your first and last name, I can just randomize that.

Gender: The game only has male or female, sorry enby friends :( Leave blank if it doesn't matter.

Kinsey Scale: 0-6. Leave blank if it doesn't matter, but the game assigns 0 or 1 to most colonists.
    and your stats/backstory/traits will be randomized when a recruitable/rescuable person comes along <3

Years
  • rabi!!! yes, fill out the thing in the "Join" section if you want some say in how you'll appear in game - I know it's not terribly inclusive but:

and your stats/backstory/traits will be randomized when a recruitable/rescuable person comes along <3

omg yay ok here we go:

Name: Laszlo 'Rabinov' Krishner

Kinsey Scale: 4

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
      [tab=updates2][/tab] [tab=join2][/tab] [tab=colonists2][/tab]

UPDATES

In this chapter...

Laszlo 'Rabinov' Krishner has joined the colony!

So uh, a lot has happened since the last update - this is a game that's very easy to lose track of time in. It is the 4th of Septober, 5503 as I write this, so quite a bit of time has elapsed, and I'll try to piece together the quick highlights of the colony with the screenshots I dump in OneNote as I play.

Politics

As our first year on the Rim comes to an end, our little colony's first election also comes up. Austin and Deva both run, but Austin becomes mayor this time around. He is overthrown the next year by Faffy, and I actually didn't build an office until Faf became president, but she's got a nice little room at the end of the main hall now, with a shiny marble desk.

CTRL-click to expand

Recruits

We have recruited our 8th and 9th colonist! Our dear Rabi joins us this session, who is a much needed and highly skilled medic. They won't be able to pick up a gun if their life depended on it, but it seems like a fair trade for their high medical skills and animal handling skills. Being a socialite will inspire more parties in the colony, which is great as gatherings boost morale, and the transhumanist trait is interesting - they'll get a small mood debuff for as long as they do not have altered body parts, so I plan to give them a bionic arm or something as soon as we can buy/make one, which will increase work speed but also make them happy to be part cyborg.

CTRL-click to expand

Do we have a 9th colonist? Well, I thought so, but something wasn't quite right with this guy. Clarke joined as a wanderer, which happens sometimes - Austin joined as a wanderer, too - and I didn't think too much of it, but soon after, our food seemed to drain very quickly. This was odd, since I thought we'd stabilized on the food front, but maybe I'd misjudged that, and needed to send out the hunting team out more often. The new colonist was starving quite often, and quickly malnourished. It happened twice in the short time he was here. And then one day, he just... starved to death.

Before I could process this, this thing emerged from the corpse.

CTRL-click to expand

'Clarke' actually wasn't human at all, but a mime. I have quite a few mods loaded, and this was added in the time I'd stopped playing so I had no idea this was a thing in the game, and imagine my surprise and terror when an innocuous young man joins the colony, pitches in the first few days like a normal person, eats all our food and then tries to eat our colonists, too. I was absolutely shaken when this happened, but looking back, this is honestly a pretty cool addition to the mod (Alpha Animals), really keeps you on your toes. I'll know what's up the next time a wanderer joins and their hunger depletes twice as fast as a normal human, but man, that was scary the first time it happened.

Raids & War Crimes

As our colony and wealth expands, so too do the threats, and we're having fairly regular raids and attacks on our base. They have been pretty manageable so far - Inky, Austin, Deva and MF Bro are our best shooters, and at this point in the game, even though MF Bro and Deva are still using the bow and arrows they came with rather than guns, we've been defending the colony well. Too well, in fact - we've been able to take very few prisoners to recruit because they keep shooting everyone dead, making the pickings a little slim for new recruits. Faffy is a great melee fighter, but she usually hangs back until it is necessary, since I'd rather shoot everyone down from a distance so no physical contact is made at all if possible.

We had to commit a little bit of war crimes here and there - I did mention Faffy had lungs that need replacing from the start, so raider Nick here becomes our first organ-harvest victim. It's a walk in the park for our new medic, and because I am a merciful warlord, I let him keep one healthy lung. Someone else will come around to donate their other lung to Faf.

This wasn't enough to keep our prisoner calm, though, and he sadly has a breakdown in his cell for a bit. Understandable. I'd feel for him more if he and his friends did not come to raid our base.

CTRL-click to expand

He snapped out of it eventually, and once he was well enough post-surgery, we sent him home, relatively healthy and safe and sound.

Among one of the many events, I thought it was notably hilarious when a pack of manhunter rabbits infiltrated our base. It was actually a little bit horrific because they caused quite a bloody mess, but the idea that a few rabbits caused this level of carnage in the base is kind of funny.

CTRL-click to expand

CTRL-click to expand

Housekeeping

Anyway, as previously mentioned, a lot of bodies have been piling up outside due to the raids, and it doesn't do the colonists' moods any good, so we finally build a crematorium to burn the corpses.

CTRL-click to expand

Lightning struck a few times, setting some of our crops on fire - it's a team effort to beat out the flames, but we save our rice eventually.

CTRL-click to expand

The base is coming along nicely! I haven't gotten around to furnishing it yet, and if you're wondering why I've still not dug out the planned rooms on the top right, it's because colony wealth is a huge factor in determining raid sizes, and every room, colonist and resource you own contributes to this wealth - basically, keep and build only what you need and can defend, otherwise the game will really fuck you up and send you lots of well-equipped raiders/mechs your way.

CTRL-click to expand

Interpersonal

Austin breaks up with Vend. Inky breaks up with Faf. Austin starts dating Faf. Vend starts dating Inky. Again, I don't touch any of the socializing aspects, so. what the heck, guys

CTRL-click to expand

Austin and Faf's butcher room wedding vs. Inky and Vend's power outage wedding. Who did it better?​

I've also opened our doors to guests! With the Hospitality mod, you are able to designate guestrooms for friendly visitors to stay the night, and I'm hoping this will give us more opportunities to recruit new colonists to PokeCommune. You'll need colonists with good social skills to entertain and befriend them for it to happen, so it's not a quick process, either. In the meantime, visitors will just hang out around your base, buy things from you and leave gifts when they leave, depending on if they enjoyed their stay or not.

CTRL-click to expand

Oh, um... Thanks. For the rotting mounds and fungi. I guess.

Animals

We've acquired quite a few more pets and livestock since the last update - I learned my lesson the hard way in previous playthroughs that your animal population can grow very quickly and eat everything if left unchecked, then you having starving animals and colonists, so I did not go crazy with the taming and buying of animals this time around. The shock goats self-tamed and joined on their own, and so did the huskies!!! That's right, we have puppies. And thank god there are only 3 of them, all female - they can breed quickly if males are in the mix too, and I cannot feed more than 3 dogs.

CTRL-click to expand

We did tame that mammoth worm as well - Inky got gored by it, but he managed, and now we have a trusty, tanky steed to ride into battle with.

And a last note on the animals, one of them becaome bonded to Deva! So Devalue, if you want to name your husky, let me know and I will change it for you. :D

CTRL-click to expand

JOIN

I'd love for more PC members to join! As mentioned, recruiting new members is a slow process, but ideally, I'd like to add as many of you as I can. If you're interested in seeing yourself in these updates, fill this out so I know your preferences and every time a new colonist joins PokeCommune, I'll randomize for a member and name the new colonist after someone here. Just leave a post here with the following:

There's a whole bunch of stats and backstories each colonist has (see: Backstories and Traits on the wiki for just the vanilla ones), but I think it would be best to randomize everything except for the ones listed above to keep it more fair.

CURRENT COLONISTS

Here is everyone currently living in PokéCommune. Expand spoilers for their traits and backstories.

Tarannasaurus 'Tara' Rex

wYzpWXL.png
    Spoiler:

Sugar 'Inky' Osborne

wb0NC3z.png
    Spoiler:

Fafrir 'Faffy' Dragon

PKldTp8.png
    Spoiler:

Austinky 'Austin' Dafo

61p6BXh.png
    Spoiler:

Drew 'Deva' Lue

zbJpDu5.png
    Spoiler:

Mercury 'MF Bro' Frogbro

ip67LPY.png
    Spoiler:

Vendily 'Vend' Luigi

jHx4h4F.png
    Spoiler:

Laszlo 'Rabinov' Krishner

wwXa7dm.png
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Harbors a strong interest in plants. Makes sense to follow a botanical theme. Selects the name "Nepenthes". Cannot go wrong with a carnivorous plant. Devours all of life's pests and people that stole an election.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I like how casual you are about committing the odd war crime here and there.
    Oh I play this game incredibly mercifully, you won't believe how weird and extensive people get with their war crimes on the subreddit lmao
    Harbors a strong interest in plants. Makes sense to follow a botanical theme. Selects the name "Nepenthes". Cannot go wrong with a carnivorous plant. Devours all of life's pests and people that stole an election.
    An excellent name! Nepenthes is indeed trained to attack, but dogs are squishy and I don't have the heart to send them into battle. :') She and her sisters can help hunt rabbits and haul building materials.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
      [tab=updates4][/tab] [tab=join4][/tab] [tab=colonists4][/tab]

UPDATES

In this chapter...

Mike 'Mike' Chuu has joined the colony!
    Cubeth 'Cube' Ism has joined the colony!
    Professor 'Tyler' Plum has joined the colony!
    Dusk 'Bella' Wolf has joined the colony!

Recruit list: Sophie (Aslan), Riki (Astromancer), Johnny (Johnny) and Luke

Defences

We've been skirting by with virtually no defence structures - you can get away with this in the early game, where raids are very small and manageable, but with our colony expanding, I shouldn't put this off anymore.

I had planned for the upper-left area to be our trap/killbox zone, so I had our best miners Vend and Inky dig that area out. It's close to the prison cell and crematorium, so from the trap box we can quickly dispose of dead bodies and capture survivors. I've expressed before I'm not the best at designing defences (one of the reasons I put this off), so I follow the commonly recommended basics of a killbox, which is a winding path full of traps and cloth bags that hurt enemies and impede movement, and will lead into an open area with cover for our colonists and gun turrets.

CTRL-click to expand

So far, the actual killbox/shooty box has not seen any use because raiders rarely penetrate the first two rows of traps, but raids will get bigger in time (and when the mechanoids attack, wooden traps will not be enough), so it's good to prepare for that. We did get a sapper attack, and they'll try to dig through your walls, but luckily the group was small so we were able to shoot them down in the open field before they reached our walls.

And to finish off our current defence structures, I also added a triple-layered granite wall just around our main entrance, crop fields and livestock to keep them all safe, and provide a secure area for our colonists to go outside for some fresh air (mountain base dwellers that don't have the "undergrounder" trait will frequently experience a feeling of being 'entombed inside' if they don't go outdoors from time to time).

Hospitality

With the base a lot safer now, many friendly visitors and guests also arrive from time to time to stay with us. I built a row of small guest rooms near the bottom, and we also run a little restaurant near the base entrance where our colonists can serve guests meals for a little bit of silver.

Awkward moment when your prison cells are larger than your guest rooms

The main advantage of opening your doors to guests, as I previously mentioned, is that if enough of your own colonists befriend them, you can recruit them to your own colony. Like recruiting prisoners, this is affected by their social skills, but is, of course, a less hostile way to gain new members. You lose a bit of faction goodwill with their originating colony, but nothing too significant that can't be repaired with some gifts over time. It takes a bit of time to befriend guests, but we were able to recruit Mike and Cube this way!

CTRL-click to expand

A great brawler with good skills/passions in researching and hospitality as well. It's been a while since anyone has floated by with an even decent skill in cooking, so despite his many other qualities, I quickly send him to the kitchen to learn from Tara. With a growing colony comes a growing appetite, so a secondary cook is much needed to help replenish our rapidly depleting food stores. Fighting skills are never 'wasted', they're kind of a bonus since nobody is a full-time soldier anyway. You only need to be drafted when there is a raid or a threat on the map, so the other 90% of the time you need to pitch in in other ways.

Mike also has the most fabulous hair:

CTRL-click to expand

Next up, we have Cube, who is a well-rounded colonist, too. They have the makings of a good hunter and will be great help around the base with handling our animals - we keep getting more pets and livestock, and a lot of them need training.

CTRL-click to expand

Raids

MF Bro's passions in crafting is not only handy in clothing our colonists, but also arming them. At our tech level, we are able to build a fabrication bench, where he will be able to make and assemble various types of guns. Took some time to get the right amount of steel and components, but we quickly arm all our best shots with assault rifles.

The trapbox is working as intended.

CTRL-click to expand

Most die in there, but occasionally, 1 or 2 raiders will simply be badly hurt, and we can pull them out to take them prisoner, like Tyler:

CTRL-click to expand

He has a LOT of passions, which I greatly favour over just high skills, because a passionate colonist learns skills twice or three times as fast as others, depending on the level of passion for that skill. As an example, with a double passion in Intellectual, I sent Tyler to research a few projects. Two or three projects later, he is already almost as skilled as Austin, who's been in the colony for much longer (as of me writing this today, Tyler's Intellectual skill is at 17!).

Bionic Technology

Merc lost a leg. Don't ask me how. It specifically said "burned off", so I am assuming it burned off when he stepped in our flaming rice field the other day.

With two competent doctors now, I let them take care of themselves. I'll check in if they are still in critical condition to see if we need to make more medicine or if I need to micromanage the doctors' priorities, but once I see them moving around the map again, I assume they are fine. So I hadn't noticed that Merc was moving a bit slower than usual, and that was because he was hobbling around on one leg.

This is actually a great opportunity, though, because this is a sci-fi game and we can make better limbs. I know some people bionic all their colonists as soon as they can to turn them into but I consider it a bit of a waste of resources if their organic limbs are still functioning fine.

CTRL-click to expand

That said, I think Tara was inspired to do some surgery due to her good mood (100% success chance on her next surgery!), so I did put that to use and replace Rabi's arm with an advanced Archotech arm for the hell of it, since they have the transhumanist trait that gives them a mood boost for having bionic limbs, which stacks up to 4 times. Their dexterity will be greatly improved as well, which is a good bonus for their doctoring skills.

CTRL-click to expand

A Stranger

Everyone is plugging away dutifully for the betterment of the colony as usual, and suddenly:

*Later renamed Bella

And, if you will recall, the last time this happened, we got a very nasty surprise where the colonist was not a human at all, ate all our food and then turned into a monster that tried to eat us, too. Needless to say, I've been extremely wary of 'free' colonists that join without being asked since that incident, especially at this stage in the game - the game tries to get you to 5 or 6 colonists quickly early on, with "Wanderer joins" and "Transport pod crash" events being thrown at you more often than usual, but the chances of these events occurring greatly decreases once you have a well-established colony. At the time Latch/Bella tried to join, we had 11 colonists, so this was very suspicious.

I checked her hunger rate, and it seemed normal, but my paranoid ass was not convinced and I still decided to lock her in her room for a little bit just to be safe. A little over a day passed and Bella's mood tanked considerably from not having access to anything and anyone except for a bed, but trivial malnutrition had set in and she still did not turn into a monster, so at that point I deemed her safe and let her go eat. Sorry, Bella. Welcome to the colony.

On the plus side, I now know that malnutrition and starvation takes quite some time to badly affect a colonist - malnutrition goes through several stages (trivial, minor, moderate, severe, extreme) before it will kill a colonist, and I don't think she got past minor even after a day and a bit of starvation, so... good to know. Anyway, here's our new friend - these are her stats as of today, didn't grab a screenshot on the day she joined since I was probably too busy panicking about a possible mime, but just imagine all her skills a few levels lower.

CTRL-click to expand

Psychopathy is kind of like cannibalism here, in that there are really no downsides to it - it really just means she's not gonna be sad if people die and the butchering and imprisoning of people does not affect her mood, which is a plus for me since those are usually the biggest offenders in driving colonists to their breaking point. The only downside is socializing will not make her happy, but we have a TV and a pool table, so tons of other things can make her happy here besides other people anyway.

And the 'Jealous' trait means she will need to have the most impressive bedroom, hence the giant wolf statue you'll see in her room a little further down in the update.

Improving Literacy

We are at the point where we occasionally have idle hands, since enough people are working at all times. I decided it was a good time to start having a few skilled colonists write some books for our people to read when they are bored. Reading books will also slowly increase the skill the book's topic is on. Since we have been opening our doors to visitors and need to be hospitable to our guests so that they can become potential colonists, I decided the first book we should write is a Social book, authored by our most skilled social expert, Faffy.

While she is quite skilled in being sociable, Faffy's not the most literate, unfortunately, so it took her quite a bit of time to finish writing this book. It was worth the wait, though, as the book was of excellent quality and has a cute smiley face on it.

CTRL-click to expand

Seeing how much she struggled with the writing, it became obvious to me that the next book we needed was one to actually boost the literacy of our colonists, so I sat Austin and his level 17 Intelligence to write our next book. It took him comparatively very little time to write this, and now we can use this to teach other colonists how to write better books more efficiently. I sat MF Bro down to read this cover to cover a few times, and he also went on to produce an excellent crafting book, so hopefully someone else will read this and start helping him out with the tailoring and machining work, too.

Housekeeping

With all basic structures up and running, we can afford some luxuries now! I decided to ask a few people on Discord how they wanted their rooms decorated, and here's what we have so far:

CTRL-click to expand

Ink wanted pink, Mike wanted blue and Bella actually Bella had very little input, Austin said "weeb" and I ran with it, but I love how it turned out.

So if anybody else has a colour or vibe they want for their bedroom, let me know and I'll do my best! This is not the most graphically impressive game and this is no Sims - the furniture options are limited even with mods, but I'll see what I can do.

In other housekeeping news, I very narrowly saved this legendary quality cheese from Deva, who nonchalantly grabbed it from the freezer to make kibble for the dogs.

CTRL-click to expand

I didn't know where else to put this, just thought it was funny.

Interpersonal

And as sure as the sun rises every morning, Austin can't stay in a relationship for more than a year. Faffy said she's had enough and files for divorce, and within a few weeks (as you may have noticed on the map since they are sharing a bedroom now), Austin and Cube begin dating. Let's hope third time's the charm.

Another tumultuous relationship that formed during this time I neglected to write consistent and proper updates was between Rabi and Mike. And boy, was it tumultuous. Within a year, they got together, Rabi proposed within a week, I'm pretty sure, and Mike rejected the proposal. They kept dating, though, and within another couple of months, Mike decided he wanted to propose this time, but then Rabi rejected his proposal. They scheduled a date anyway, and then a few more days later, decided they had enough and broke up. So that was a real ride. I was really rooting for them.

Animals

A lot of animals self-tamed into our colony, including some alpaca (a steady source of wool), some boomalope (like antelopes but they go 'boom' upon death - what is the benefit of keeping live bombs in your base, you might ask - they can be 'milked' for chemfuel, which can power many things), and this slurrypede beast which I'm honestly quite scared of and don't know what to do with. The game says it is a docile creature that eats random garbage and turns it into an edible nutrient paste, but we don't really have a lot of garbage for it to eat and I saw it eat a tree whole, and to be honest I could have used the wood for fuel or building a lot more than I have a need for unappetizing nutrient paste since we have two stellar cooks now, so I still don't know if we want to keep this beast. It's 629 years old though and can live up to 3000 years, that's pretty cool. And a rat, which is a rat. It doesn't eat a lot, it's fine.

CTRL-click to expand

Among the self-tamed creatures, we also tamed two more Chocobos since they are great for travel, and I bought a cat for Tyler. It's a little, white Munchkin named Artemis.

CTRL-click to expand

JOIN

CURRENT COLONISTS

Tarannasaurus 'Tara' Rex

wYzpWXL.png
    Spoiler:

Sugar 'Inky' Osborne

wb0NC3z.png
    Spoiler:

Fafrir 'Faffy' Dragon

PKldTp8.png
    Spoiler:

Austinky 'Austin' Dafo

61p6BXh.png
    Spoiler:

Drew 'Deva' Lue

zbJpDu5.png
    Spoiler:

Mercury 'MF Bro' Frogbro

ip67LPY.png
    Spoiler:

Vendily 'Vend' Luigi

jHx4h4F.png
    Spoiler:

Laszlo 'Rabinov' Krishner

wwXa7dm.png
    Spoiler:

Mike 'Mike' Chuu

xU3HO5u.png
    Spoiler:

Cubeth 'Cube' Ism

kstvmhk.png
    Spoiler:

Professor 'Tyler' Plum

0mDTlnX.png
    Spoiler:

Dusk 'Bella' Wolf

zRLGfZK.png
    Spoiler:

Lastly, here is the latest map of the colony, labeled:

Spoiler:

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Requests a green, nature-themed room. (Could be animals, plants, or both.) Suits the character. Stands out from the other rooms.

Psychopathy is kind of like cannibalism here, in that there are really no downsides to it
    Liked this out of context.
    In other housekeeping news, I very narrowly saved this legendary quality cheese from Deva, who nonchalantly grabbed it from the freezer to make kibble for the dogs.
    What? Did you think some dull-tongued human should eat it? Belongs to Nepenthes. Deserves the legend—wait for it—dairy.

Can dogs eat dairy? Never owned a dog in real-life. ...Googled it. Varies, much like humans, apparently.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Requests a green, nature-themed room. (Could be animals, plants, or both.) Suits the character. Stands out from the other rooms.
    Ooh, that's a fun theme to work with! Something to look forward to when I boot the game up (been sidetracked with Pokemon Snap and Sims :why:)

Liked this out of context.
    There are no downsides to psychopathy - Juno 2021

What? Did you think some dull-tongued human should eat it? Belongs to Nepenthes. Deserves the legend—wait for it—dairy.

Can dogs eat dairy? Never owned a dog in real-life. ...Googled it. Varies, much like humans, apparently.
    Honestly, that's fair - the dogs have been pulling their weight, they deserve some legendairy. And if they can survive off the corpses of our enemies out here, I don't see why not.

Back