• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Kanto Starters in X & Y!

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    I don't like the idea of giving out a Kanto starters Pre-Elite Four.
    It just didn't feel right for me.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Spoiler:

For all those who couldn't see Nintendo of Europe's tweets about the Kanto starters.

It does feel strange to have all these starter choices available in the main storyline of the game (if it is true that we get the Kanto starters early). There's so many changes going on with this game that will make it interesting and new.

As for which one I'll choose, right now, I'm saying Charmander. But if the Kanto starter has to be a part of the team for a while in the storyline, then it'll depend on which Kalos starter I'll chose and the rest of the Pokemon available in the area to make up my team at that time. Otherwise, the thing's getting boxed because I kind of want to use new Pokemon instead of Pokemon I've been using since Pokemon was first released.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Kanto Starters are MUCH better than those stupid monkeys in BW. (giving you a extra mon for type coverage)

Will you choose a Kanto-Starter, or based on your first starter?

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I hope that we get to choose which Kanto starter we get as opposed to being given one depending on your regional starter (i.e. opposite types a la the Pans in B/W)

Not that I know which I would choose- they're all great.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I never exept it to be in the ubers, not even in the OU
    And I really dissapointed his typing didn't became fire/dragon, charizard just beging for it, especially now with his mega form.

Well, I still croosing my finger for a grass/dragon sceptile!
    Oh I pray to god that comes true...please let Sceptile be Grass/Dragon.

@ Paparazzo. The screenshots show the player choosing so we choose which one we want. Also I'm on the same boat as you, I don't know which one to choose either...

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • As people have mentioned above, I'll be very disappointed if the Kanto starter is dependent upon what your Kalos starter is. Still, this is kind of cool, even if I'm not the biggest fan of the Kanto starters (I know, unpopular opinion!). Maybe the Mega Evolutions will sway my opinions of them somewhat, but it's unlikely, I think.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
  • Isn't the game starting in lumoise you probably get the first starters at the players home Then the gen 1 starters when you get your pokedex

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Isn't the game starting in lumoise you probably get the first starters at the players home Then the gen 1 starters when you get your pokedex
    One starts and get's their first starter in Vaniville. If Vaniville is indeed the town in the south of the Kalos map then Lumoise is the fourth town in the game as north of the south most town is another small one followed by forest, and what is believed to be the first gym city followed by Lumoise. So we may get them before our second gym battle...

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years

No Vaniville Town is the starting town, Lumiose City is 2nd or 3rd one it seems, so you still get the Kalos starter first it seems. Though 2nd or 3rd city is still pretty early. It's gonna be weird getting another starter so early in the game if that happens. I don't think it will depend on what starter you get or at least I can judge from the trailer.

What I'm gonna do for Kanto starters is picked the opposite of the Kalos starter I pick. So if I pick Fennekin for my Kalos starter, I'll pick Squirtle for my Kanto starter. Or if I pick Chespin, I'll pick Charmander or if I pick Froakie, I'd pick Bulbasaur. I'm most likely gong for Fennekin in Y and Chespin in X so I'm mostly likely picking Squirtle and Charmander then. I prefer Charizard's and Blastoise's Megas over Venusaur's so better for me then.

Last edited:

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
    Years
  • Don't get me wrong, I love the Kanto starters. They were my first, always will be. My problem is this: we're already getting Torchic. On top of our Kalos starter. I literally do not need three starter Pokemon before I'm even at the Elite Four. That's ridiculous. Not to mention, giving us Torchic and a Kanto starter, that takes up two slots on our teams. We still have a whole new regions worth of new Pokemon to discover and half my team is filled up by starters because you're that desperate to display the Megas? No. Sorry, not my thing. I've used all the Kanto starters plenty before, I've used Torchic and its evolutions, and seen them used enough. Show off some new Pokemon with Megalutions.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Kanto starters. They were my first, always will be. My problem is this: we're already getting Torchic. On top of our Kalos starter. I literally do not need three starter Pokemon before I'm even at the Elite Four. That's ridiculous. Not to mention, giving us Torchic and a Kanto starter, that takes up two slots on our teams. We still have a whole new regions worth of new Pokemon to discover and half my team is filled up by starters because you're that desperate to display the Megas? No. Sorry, not my thing. I've used all the Kanto starters plenty before, I've used Torchic and its evolutions, and seen them used enough. Show off some new Pokemon with Megalutions.

You dont have to use them, But i see why you feel that way

I think its awsome that they bringing back the old starters. I do hope wich one doesn't depend on your first pick though on the kanto starters

Years
  • Don't get me wrong, I love the Kanto starters. They were my first, always will be. My problem is this: we're already getting Torchic. On top of our Kalos starter. I literally do not need three starter Pokemon before I'm even at the Elite Four. That's ridiculous. Not to mention, giving us Torchic and a Kanto starter, that takes up two slots on our teams. We still have a whole new regions worth of new Pokemon to discover and half my team is filled up by starters because you're that desperate to display the Megas? No. Sorry, not my thing. I've used all the Kanto starters plenty before, I've used Torchic and its evolutions, and seen them used enough. Show off some new Pokemon with Megalutions.

they just offering you alot of starters, not forcing you to use.
    I for example won't use torchic for sure and might leave my charmander for the post game

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • I was literally screaming this morning when I was watching Pokemon Direct because of this! lol (It worsened when I saw their Mega evos).

I still haven't decided for sure who I want.
    I'm starting with Chespin in X and Fennekin in Y. X is the game I'm more stoked about (because Xerneas) and I think I'm going to take Charmander in that game. Because that Mega-Charizard looks freaking amazing. But I haven't decided for Y yet. I prefer Bulbasaur but part of me feels bad for not giving the water starters any love. Maybe if/when they release a third game/sequels.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • What was the point of the Torchic event, if we were going to get a potential mega (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle) as a part of story mode anyways?

So a Kalos starter, a Kanto starter, and a Torchic. Interesting to think that, now, our teams could potentially be half-starters. (Not that we weren't doing this since RBY anyways, what with trading and starting over.)

~~~

I've always wanted to raise a Bulbasaur as a starter; the only opportunities I've had in the past was post-story mode. I'm really hoping that Chespin becomes a physical attacker with 2 types. Considering that Thick Fat will get rid of most of Venusaur's grass weaknesses, that it's part poison, and a special attacker, having 2 grass types on my team won't be too redundant if all this comes true.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2013
    I don't know, it seems kind of crazy to give them out early. They said "Later". So to me this is probably going to be some post-game material as they almost always do. Doesn't really make sense to make kanto starters in early part (as I mention again) IMO

Back