• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Kanto Starters in X & Y!

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
Years
  • Or Froakie to cover Water and Bulbasaur to cover Grass.

But yeah, I like how this idea was executed, I remember in HG/SS you could not only get a Johto starter at the start but also a Kanto and Hoenn starter after defeating Red. If you take one each out of the three trios you can potentially have Grass, Fire and Water covered all at once. But still, I'm hoping we get access to more other regions' starter Pokemon because given we've seen Mega Evolutions of Blaziken and the Kanto starters so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they had Mega Evolutions for all the starters.

Hahaaaa no
    I already decided on Chespin as my Kalos starter.
    It was between Squirtle and Charmander for Kanto, then I remembered the Torchic.
    I also like the cut of MegaBlastoise's jib.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • You know, we all seem to kind of forgotten something.
    We're getting a free torchic as well....
    That changes things completely
    Chespin to cover grass, Squirtle to cover water, and the free Torchic to cover Fire....
    That pretty much covers everything you need right there.

Or Froakie to cover Water and Bulbasaur to cover Grass.

I would've used this ideal trio if I decide not to use Serena, because both Chespin and Froakie don't suit her appearance, only Fennekin. Plus, Torchic may be uber again because Speed Boost as Mega Blaziken's ability, which what got him banned in the first place. If I choose Squirtle, then I'll be lacking key important types as secondary types, Ground and Fighting to be more specific, with a team of Gogoat (Grass), Fennekin (Fire/Psychic?), Blastoise (Water), Sylveon (Fairy), Honedge (Ghost/Steel), and Noiverne (Flying/Dragon). If I choose Bulbasaur, then I won't be having a Grass type with decent type coverage (Venusaur only has Growth, Earthquake, and Sleep Powder as noteworthy moves). MegaCharizard will allow me coverage against Rock and Ground types via spamming Solarbeam, but I do not want to have two Fire types in my team.

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
    Years
  • The only bad thing about this I'd say is that it confuses things when it comes to the anime for me (although, I don't even watch the anime anymore. Haven't since I was, like, 9). So, does anime Prof. Sycamore give away Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie to beginning trainers, or does he give them the Kanto starters?
    hmm. speaking of the anime could this mean that ash's charizard may make a return....nah. I am just overthinking.

anyway I already know what starters I am picking. Bulbasaur is one of my favorite gen 1 starters. And since vena's mega form has thick fat he will make an excellent tank. I am also picking fennekin(unless its fiire/fighting JK LOL)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • hmm. speaking of the anime could this mean that ash's charizard may make a return....nah. I am just overthinking.

anyway I already know what starters I am picking. Bulbasaur is one of my favorite gen 1 starters. And since vena's mega form has thick fat he will make an excellent tank. I am also picking fennekin(unless its fiire/fighting JK LOL)
    Actually Charizard return seems to be hinted at for awhile in the anime...so it's possible...and maybe Bulbasaur and Squirtle will return too!

On topic: I'm not going to restrict myself to the types of the starters who which one I think "suits" better the player character...so it's an open field for me...that doesn't make it easy to choose though as I can't narrow it down...I love Bulbasaur and Squirtle...but that Droughtzard...

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
    Years
  • Actually Charizard return seems to be hinted at for awhile in the anime...so it's possible...and maybe Bulbasaur and Squirtle will return too!

On topic: I'm not going to restrict myself to the types of the starters who which one I think "suits" better the player character...so it's an open field for me...that doesn't make it easy to choose though as I can't narrow it down...I love Bulbasaur and Squirtle...but that Droughtzard...

They best not take my idea
    bringing the old team back together...

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    All I know, is that I'll be getting Fennekin and Squirtle in my Y version, and the Chespin and Charmander in my X version.

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Totally getting Squirtle. MBlastoise looks so cool.

Oh, and it covers who my surfing Pokemon will be haha.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I won't be using my Kanto starter but chances are I'll be picking Bulbasaur because it's my favorite one. The reason why I'm not going to be using it is because for my first playthrough I want to use only Kalos Pokemon and if I used a Kanto starter it will ruin the point.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • I'll probably go with charmander because it's my favorite. Although I'll be choosing fennekin too, so I have a problem there.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • I won't be using my Kanto starter but chances are I'll be picking Bulbasaur because it's my favorite one. The reason why I'm not going to be using it is because for my first playthrough I want to use only Kalos Pokemon and if I used a Kanto starter it will ruin the point.

I agree completely. I love the Kanto starters, but I want to use all Kalos pokemon because, in my opinion, the whole point of the new game is to enjoy using new pokemon. I will probably end up picking Squirtle, but I won't be using it in my team.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    I'll probably be picking Bulbasaur! I REALLY want that Venusaur, especially the Mega version. From what I've heard, it's even bulkier and stronger. I would of went with Charmander, but ...meh. i luve Bulbasaur, haha xD;;

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Me too Omicron, we'll end up with 3 fire starters but ..the heart wants what the heart wants.
    Currently chances are I'll end up getting all three available fire starters too...but as you said the heart want what the heart wants...And MegaBlaziken, and MegaCharizard look beast! I hope Mega(Fennekin's final evolution) will look as cool as them :3

Years
  • Currently chances are I'll end up getting all three available fire starters too...but as you said the heart want what the heart wants...And MegaBlaziken, and MegaCharizard look beast! I hope Mega(Fennekin's final evolution) will look as cool as them :3

I know what it's like, there's been so many awesome Fire-types confirmed to be available in X and Y. I know what it'd be like, but doubling up on types can make teams unbalanced, like when I was a noob in Ruby and had two Grass and two Water Pokemon in the same team. But yeah hoping the starters in Kalos get awesome evolutions, Froakie's are the ones I'm hoping are the coolest. I'm in a situation like yours where I decided on Froakie as my Kalos starter yet I wanted a Squirtle. Since I didn't want to repeat my noob moment of 3rd Gen I went with my second fave Kanto starter, Bulbasaur just because I didn't like many of the new Grass-types so far. Gogoat does look alright but I'm more inclined to special-based Grass-types.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • Hah, with megacharizard in the way, talonflame wil say goodbye to my team. :( I can't have three fire types in one team, hahaha.

Seriously, all 3 mega kanto starters are beasts, they have some very sleek designs.

Years
  • I know what it's like, there's been so many awesome Fire-types confirmed to be available in X and Y. I know what it'd be like, but doubling up on types can make teams unbalanced, like when I was a noob in Ruby and had two Grass and two Water Pokemon in the same team. But yeah hoping the starters in Kalos get awesome evolutions, Froakie's are the ones I'm hoping are the coolest. I'm in a situation like yours where I decided on Froakie as my Kalos starter yet I wanted a Squirtle. Since I didn't want to repeat my noob moment of 3rd Gen I went with my second fave Kanto starter, Bulbasaur just because I didn't like many of the new Grass-types so far. Gogoat does look alright but I'm more inclined to special-based Grass-types.

The main story not that hard, and you can beat it with weak and unbalanced teams, I have beated the games alot with team which had double types(the first time I beated the elite four I had Charizard, Aerodactyl and Pidgeot).

Not that I'm a pro or something like this, thats just how things seems to me

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2023
    I'll get Squritle, But im gonna choose froakie so I have a problem there I guess... or just get another copy and 3DS and trade the starters for the Kalos regions Zubat.

(By that I mean The pokemon thats everywhere, but nobody wants it)

Back