• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

League of Legends

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
    Years
    600th post in this thread belongs to me *evil laugh*

So I've been trying to get a better understanding of other lanes lately, and I know that I'd like to be a jungle main but I'd like to be able to lane top and go support if need be, however my pool for top and support is extremely limited and I don't know all of what I'm supposed to do in order to get better in these roles. Any tips?

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
    Years
    I've been practicing mid and top a lot recently. I seem to perform well with Rengar top. Like, really well. Haven't lost a game going top with Rengar, from my memory. But for top, farm and poke. Same with mid. On both lanes, when the enemy is low enough, go for the kill. In mid, back if you're below 30%, on top, don't back. Clear the wave and push to tower, then back. In mid, if you're pushed to tower, and the enemy laner isn't in lane, and just backed/you killed them, roam. On top, only roam mid, and don't do it a lot. Pretty much just stay in your lane forever on top.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    So I've been trying to get a better understanding of other lanes lately, and I know that I'd like to be a jungle main but I'd like to be able to lane top and go support if need be, however my pool for top and support is extremely limited and I don't know all of what I'm supposed to do in order to get better in these roles. Any tips?
    I main top lane, so let's see...

Top lane, in all honesty, isn't really that important of a lane when compared to mid or bottom. The people that are fighting here are generally the tanks or bulky fighters. Which means that if you get fed, you're most likely just going to be a bit bulkier than your opponent, and vice versa. So, the main thing you want to do here is get the first tower, and help out other lanes.

It's kind of difficult because I'm never sure on how much time I should be spending away from my lane. It also depends a lot on your opponent. If you're going up against a Nasus, then you want to stay and prevent farming as much as possible (and yes, I learned this the hard way). However, if you're winning and get the first turret, it's also a good idea to gank a lane and come back. The lane depends on your summoner spells.

You want Flash, obviously, but the second one is generally a toss up. You can run Ignite if you plan on poking your opponent a lot, Heal if you plan to play more defensively, and Teleport is also very viable, as well as amazing for ganks. So, it all depends on what your goal is as a player. Because of that, your champion select plays a major role. For instance, Heal on Wukong, although is nice, isn't the best plan. Wukong is very hard to lane against because of his constant poking ability, so it will be better to get Ignite, or Teleport. Galio, on the other hand, has a more defensive play style and harasses with his spells, so Heal is a viable option as well as Teleport.

And now I have to get ready for work, so I'll end it there. Hopefully this helped!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Top lane, in all honesty, isn't really that important of a lane when compared to mid or bottom. The people that are fighting here are generally the tanks or bulky fighters. Which means that if you get fed, you're most likely just going to be a bit bulkier than your opponent, and vice versa. So, the main thing you want to do here is get the first tower, and help out other lanes.
    I'm not sure how much I'd agree with this - a snowballing assassin is certainly scary but they're often nothing other than a joke to a high CC champ. On the other hand, if you get a snowballing bruiser you can build great damage and great bulk at the same time, often being able to out-duel anybody on the map, and most often being able to survive 1v2 or even 1v3 conflicts if you get ahead simply due to the inherent off-tankiness and damage/sustain of your average top-lane bruiser. I think it depends a lot on who you're facing though - snowballed assassins/adcs are certainly amongst the hardest of champions to stop if you're not prepared to.

On an unrelated note, has anyone tried much of Azir yet?

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    600th post in this thread belongs to me *evil laugh*

If you need help learning top, I can teach you in-game sometime seeing as it was my main role up to level 30. :) What are your champs for top if I can ask? The different champs you can choose from each have different roles in the game. So you're not gonna be assasinating the backline as a Renekton when your team has no tank to peel for them. On the other hand, Irelia can easily do that and be like "lolijustkilledallofyou". It also affects how you play your lane - and I'd also recommend you know the general champs that live there. So for top that'd be stuff like Jax, Jayce, Renekton, Shyvana, Darius, Teemo, Nasus, Lulu etc. Then there are some more uncommon ones that I rarely see like Fiora, Wukong and Irelia. I think knowing your matchups is also a really good thing to help improve your play. So Irelia vs Jayce can be an an absolute sh- I mean yeah, it really sucks up until about level 6 where Irelia has enough points in her W and ult. Just start poking Jayce, then go in for a free kill.

Also I'd recommend you look at your team comp before you instalock a squishy assasin into top lane (such as Kennen or Akali, both can work but your team needs a tanky jungler/support in that case.) If there's no tank - go for a tanky champ and if you don't have enough damage output - an assasin could work. If you're not confident with top yet, you could always just go into normals and practice but farm and play safe.Trade with them obviously but make sure you ward - top lane rarely gets ganked seeing as it's on an island + mid and bot are more important, but it happens. (I can't count the number of times I went to ward the tribush and the enemy jungler was there) ;__; Don't towerdive if you're not confident.

Anyway the easiest way to learn is to practice. That sounds really clique-y but it's true.

Also Azir just reminds me of Viktor, full stop. But he's interesting I guess. I haven't bought him and probably never will because there are other champs I'd want over him. Maybe I'll give him a go in the FTP rotation later. :p

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    On an unrelated note, has anyone tried much of Azir yet?
    I went against him for a little while when I was covering mid with Galio, and holy crap he is hard to lane against. He stands in the background while his soldiers slice through the minion waves. They don't do a lot of damage, but they can wear you down if you aren't careful. I've found that he is quite tanky too.

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
    Years
    What are your champs for top if I can ask?

My champions for top (meaning the champions I own that can go top and do well, doesn't at all mean I'm good with them.) : Aatrox, Alistar, Cho'Gath, Dr.Mundo, Garen, Lee Sin, Maokai, Nasus, Pantheon, Singed, Teemo, Warwick, and Wukong. Now the Champions I don't just do terribly with XD : Maokai, Pantheon, Nasus, Cho'Gath, Aatrox. And thank you for the tips :3 I'll make sure to pay more attention to the comps when deciding my champion and build.

Also, SK Fredy122 is a big big meanie. Carrying the team to beat my TPA like that ;-; what a monster.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    According to worlds, SK's Fredy has been an absolute monster despite the rest of his teams seemingly poor form, and the game they won he carried that also. I don't think it's fair to say top lane is the least impactful lane. It's down to the champion picks IMO
    Okay, okay. So maybe top lane is important, haha. I was just comparing it to a fed ADC, or some middle lane champions (I'm looking at you, Yasuo). I've found that a fed Galio or Wukong isn't as scary as, say, a fed Katarina, Twitch, Draven, etc.

And I haven't been really keeping up with worlds, unfortunately. I've been too busy playing the actual game, haha.

Talon

Years
    Apparently very. It's hard to gank me, because I keep river warded 24/7, and know when your coming. I play jg. I know what you're doing, you sneaky bastard.

Years
    Its become a second nature to me, every time I click to go to a new jungle camp, I watch the lanes, every time I an on my way to gank, i check the lanes.
    If I see the enemy jungler, I go steal his camps or countergank. I will almost always deepward with a pink. Vision is so powerful, even jsut looknig at the map can empower you, I wish I could make the people I play with understand that...

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I'm not even in ranked yet, and I understand that. That's why when I'm playing support, I'll always get a sightstone and ward the enemy jungle, so that it's not a surprise when people come and gank when we're pushing the base or inner turrets. Although, I find myself not checking the minimap as much as I should be. I generally don't check it when we're about to kill someone and I'm too caught up in the moment, haha.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Anyone been watching much of Worlds? TSM... daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn I'm even more impressed than I have been with their LCS matches. Lustboy's really working out well for them which is a huge relief. Also been watching a lot of AHQ's Westdoor on Fizz - I'm thinking potentially best midlaner in the game right now...? Even coming close to Bjerg which is impressive in my books!

Talon

Years
    I haven't been paying much attention, but I know that last I heard TSM was dominating. C9 is starting to play now, right? My favorite LCS team :D (Other than CLG. No one messes with the CLG. PENTALIFT.)

Years
    I'm gonna be rooting for Alliance. I also had the pleasure of meeting Froggen and tabzz in person at LCS London.

Meanwhile, I still hunt for a champion to call my own. I just don't know what I want to play or feel like learning. The only champion I know pretty much inside out is Renekton over season 2 and 3, but he's just not strong enough anymore...

Talon

Years
    Anyone been watching much of Worlds? TSM... daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn I'm even more impressed than I have been with their LCS matches. Lustboy's really working out well for them which is a huge relief. Also been watching a lot of AHQ's Westdoor on Fizz - I'm thinking potentially best midlaner in the game right now...? Even coming close to Bjerg which is impressive in my books!

I think Faker will always be the best mid laner.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I think Faker will always be the best mid laner.
    Yeaaah he's definitely right up at the top, shame the rest of SKT don't follow through. I had a lot of respect for Piglet before he left (not sure what actually happened there, anyone know?) but otherwise I just haven't seen any of the team perform to Faker's standards. Lead to the ugliest Zed skin of all time though :(

Years
    Yeaaah he's definitely right up at the top, shame the rest of SKT don't follow through. I had a lot of respect for Piglet before he left (not sure what actually happened there, anyone know?) but otherwise I just haven't seen any of the team perform to Faker's standards. Lead to the ugliest Zed skin of all time though :(

I honestly think the Zed skin is cool, if you got a PC that can handle high quality models. The shadows look great too.

Back