• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Least significant Pokemon of all time?

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
Years
  • By this I mean the Pokemon you consider to have the least redeeming qualities all around. A Pokemon that just stands out as... pointless or worthless to you. It doesn't necessarily have to be the worst competitively or the ugliest... just the all around least significant.

For me... it's Druddigon, and that's coming from somebody who kind of likes it. Here's why:

1. Druddigon's design is almost universally disliked in my experience. Most people consider its design weak to ugly, and its colors to be off-putting and poorly conceived. Even the shiny is considered to be awful, and it actually changes substantially.

2. It's a pure Dragon-type, in spite of looking like it should be part Poison or part Grass. While pure Dragons aren't inherently a bad thing, it doesn't offer it ANYTHING special or unique to stand out with.

3. It's, competitively, probably the worst fully evolved Dragon type in the entire game. I can't think of one that's hands down inferior.

4. It came out in a generation where several other dragons were introduced, all of which are more interesting (and better), and one of which in particular is ALSO a pure Dragon type but superior/more popular in practically every regard.

5. It doesn't evolve into or from anything, it's not a Legendary, and it does not have a Mega evolution. Again, there is nothing inherently wrong with this... but NONE of this does it any favors in terms of usefulness or interest.

Again, I actually kind of like Druddigon... but I just can't think of a single Pokemon out there that's less significant. Even not fully evolved, useless Pokemon can evolve into something eventually. Even things like Illumise and Volbeat, which offer almost NOTHING special, have each other to stand out in SOME capacity. Hell, even Stunfisk is fairly usable in competitive battles and has a unique typing going for it that's actually really interesting. Druddigon, though? What... does it have? But that's where you come in. What Pokemon do YOU consider to be the least significant?

GilliTheFabulous

Shiny Hunter, Collector, and Breeder
    Years
  • Eevee.

I mean Eevee itself, not its numerous evos. No one uses Eevee. And why would you wait to evolve it? The new evo learns it's first move at level 9, this means you have no reason to keep an eevee past level 8. If you don't have a stone or a way to evolve it, you usually don't level it up and it sits in the box.

You know what makes it worse? Its shiny.

Least significant Pokemon of all time?

No, it doesn't look bad. It looks...great! However, because of everything I stated above this is the only reason to keep an unevolved Eevee. And even this is not a good enough reason since you have to find this f**ker 8 times to get all of its evos shiny.

All Eevee has going for it is it's cuteness. You even breed the guy to get egg moves TO EVOLVE IT into an Eeveelution with one of those moves.

GilliTheFabulous

Years
  • How about baton pass?

For the thread Ill counter Stantler.

Baton pass is a great move and it is very useful but what if you are not a competitive player? And even if you wait for baton pass, unless you play LC, you still evolve the thing. Even in a challenge scenario you have to be really careful when switch training/grinding Eevee against whatever is in the grass just to obtain baton pass. It will be strong in the beginning but slowly get weaker and weaker as the opponents/wild pokemon levels get higher and higher. And level 33 is a bit away, during any normal playthrough or even a challenge you would rather still be grinding up an Eevee just for a move or be using one of its evos at that point? Unless you are playing an ultimate randomizer in which Eevee is dragon/flying with roar of time or/and dragons ascent.

And I agree with you on Stantler. Eff that thing.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
  • Eevee.

I mean Eevee itself, not its numerous evos. No one uses Eevee. And why would you wait to evolve it? The new evo learns it's first move at level 9, this means you have no reason to keep an eevee past level 8. If you don't have a stone or a way to evolve it, you usually don't level it up and it sits in the box.

All Eevee has going for it is it's cuteness. You even breed the guy to get egg moves TO EVOLVE IT into an Eeveelution with one of those moves.

I suppose you could use this reasoning and deduce that every single starter Pokemon is useless? You really wouldn't wait to evolve it at all and in the first stage, they're super weak, no matter cool adorable they are.

pkmin3033

Lucario.

Yes, I know; I've stated more than once in multiple threads that I do not like Lucario, and here I am, harping on again about Lucario in what might seem the most unlikely of threads. But I do not get the attention this thing gets, and I'm going to explain precisely why this is the PERFECT thread to mention it. First off, it's not a Legendary, and yet it stars in it's own damn movie. Then it replaced MEWTWO - which was one of the original badasses of the first generation - in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and made an unwelcome return in the 3DS/Wii U versions. Whenever a Lucario appears in the anime, a supermassive big deal is made out of it. Why? Asides from the movie one, it can't speak. It has a cheap overpowered special power like some godawful fanfic Mary Sue/Gary Stu, or one of those OP anime protagonists. It's the bloody Tatsuya of Pokemon, minus the creepy little sister and ability to raise the dea--oh wait, the eighth movie. My bad.

It stands amongst titans and, because of this, its lack of significance is highlighted all the more for me. It's because of its complete lack of significance - that is frequently ignored, glossed over, or outright warped to make it as powerful as Arceus itself - that I dislike Lucario so much. Lucario is worse than Pikachu when it comes to breaking things, but Pikachu has an excuse: it's the mascot of the series. Pikachu IS significant. Lucario is not. It's just another random Pokemon frequently brought to the spotlight for no reason. It's not even owned by one of the main cast. Yet it's blue furry backside is still being repeatedly shoved in our faces.

Lesser offenders would be Zoroark - which only has the movie offense - and Greninja - which has the SSB inclusion and that random Ash appearance thing - but Lucario is by far the worst. It's the least significant Pokemon to me because it tries so hard to be significant but there is NOTHING that makes it significant. It's obnoxious. Putting it mildly.

Last edited:

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • I suppose you could use this reasoning and deduce that every single starter Pokemon is useless? You really wouldn't wait to evolve it at all and in the first stage, they're super weak, no matter cool adorable they are.

except eevee isn't a starter

anyway yes i do agree that eevee and its evolutions are the least significant pokemon considering they are just... there. they get way too much undeserved attention just because they look cute, despite their complete lack of originality and creativeness. besides sylveon, every single one of them is also outclassed.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
  • except eevee isn't a starter

anyway yes i do agree that eevee and its evolutions are the least significant pokemon considering they are just... there. they get way too much undeserved attention just because they look cute, despite their complete lack of originality and creativeness. besides sylveon, every single one of them is also outclassed.

Competitively, sure. In-game wise, I disagree. I can't see how Jolteon is outclassed by anything in-game? The only electric type faster than it is Electrode and well...it's electrode and Magnezone get's OHKO-ed by a lot of things. I feel like the eeveelutions are superb for an in-game team but yep, they are quite outclassed competitively.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years

• Competitively, sure. In-game wise, I disagree. I can't see how Jolteon is outclassed by anything in-game? The only electric type faster than it is Electrode and well...it's electrode and Magnezone get's OHKO-ed by a lot of things. I feel like the eeveelutions are superb for an in-game team but yep, they are quite outclassed competitively.

Electrode has Explosion pre-gen 5 and Magnezone has 11 resistances iirc... but yeah eeveelutions can be helpful in-game, just not competitively.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
  • Electrode has Explosion pre-gen 5 and Magnezone has 11 resistances iirc... but yeah eeveelutions can be helpful in-game, just not competitively.

There's really only a few times in the entire games you'd ever use explosion and I usually use Magnezone and Jolteon the same amount tbh xD So yeah, in conclusion, awesome in-game, just not outside of it.:)

天 (Caine)

Flower Child
    Years
  • I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Magikarp yet. It's absolutely useless until level fifteen and I've always found that Gyarados just isn't worth the trouble, especially in generation one and two.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • OH. MY. GAWD.
    How come nobody even mentioned Dunsparce yet?
    Seriously that one is pretty much the definition of "Least significant". Need I honestly explain any further?

Other honorable mentions are:
    Volbeat and Illumise, Lummineon, and Chimecho. These all have terrible stats and lack the looks to make up for them. Probably explains they are fot forgotten. Neither of these, save Chimecho due to James having one, ever stood out.

Last edited:

GilliTheFabulous

Years
  • I suppose you could use this reasoning and deduce that every single starter Pokemon is useless? You really wouldn't wait to evolve it at all and in the first stage, they're super weak, no matter cool adorable they are.

You know what I never even thought about that but yes I guess I could. However, let me try explaining it this way. You choose your starter as a partner to use for the game and it stands out to you because it was your first pokemon in said game. Eevee is just given to you and every time you obtain it you keep it with its evolutions in mind.

You never care about Eevee just Jolteon or Flareon. You teach it moves with its evos in mind and the same for breeding it. You breed it for Wish and Curse with the intent of making a competitive Umbreon.

You don't care about Eevee, you only keep it because it's cute not because it is a useful pokemon. If you keep it for any other reason aside from its cuteness or its shiny form, I question your sanity.

OH. MY. GAWD.
    How come nobody even mentioned Dunsparce yet?
    Seriously that one is pretty much the definition of "Least significant". Need I honestly explain any further?

Other honorable mentions are:
    Volbeat and Illumise, Lummineon, and Chimecho. These all have terrible stats and lack the looks to make up for them. Probably explains they are fot forgotten. Neither of these, save Chimecho due to James having one, ever stood out.

But but but...Dunsparce...

It's good if you want it to be a troll as it can learn things like Iron Head and Roost but it is one of those pokemon that for a playthrough, it's...erm...you would rather have something better.

Volbeat and Illumise, they stand out because moonlight, that's it. And even then it is rare for people to even remember these guys. Same with Lummineon except no heal stall annoyance. It looks pretty(and it should be fairy type IMO)but that is all it is. Pretty.

Chimecho is useful for a shiny hunter like me as you can skill swap levitate to make sure your shiny Geodude doesn't die or heal pulse/disable that shiny Growlithe to make sure it doesn't kill itself with take down. Aside from that, you just don't use a chimecho. Kind of sad actually as I think the mon could've gone somewhere with its life.

Years
  • I think a lot of people are misinterpreting the meaning of significance. Sure, you might not like Eevee, Lucario, or Magikarp for whatever reason, or you don't think they're all that great, but your average fan will know more about them than a Pokemon like Chingling or Binacle.

I think the best pick so far is Maractus, and while it may not be the least significant Pokemon, it's gotta be down at the bottom somewhere. They're rarely seen in the games, and are impossible to find in the 6th gen unless the right conditions are met. As for the manga, only one has appeared, and even then it was defeated almost as soon as it showed up. The only time Maractus had a bit of significance in the Pokemon franchise was for one episode of the anime, and when you consider there have been around 850 episodes so far, it doesn't seem all that important any more.

Adore

Party.
    Years
  • Elgyem and Beheeyem fit the bill for this in my opinion. I don't dislike them or anything (their designs are actually pretty cool) but they aren't a Pokemon I'd necessarily use. They're just kind of there.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • polemic about Druddigon

Druddigon? Insignificant?! I'll have you know that Druddigon is the subject of an in-joke by the RU community regarding how "broken" it is (and, to be fair, it is a pretty neat Pokemon in the tier).

I think one of the most insignificant Pokemon is Corsola. I feel like Game Freak only created it to illustrate to children that coral reefs have regenerative properties in the correct conditions, as evidenced by its wasted ability, Regenerator. Its typing is awful, its stats are terrible, it doesn't get any evolutions (which would allow it to use Eviolite to increase its 55 / 85 / 85 bulk to impressive levels), it is competitively useless, and, for all of its faults, you can't obtain it in Pokemon games until you've gotten relatively far into them.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • I think a lot of people are misinterpreting the meaning of significance. Sure, you might not like Eevee, Lucario, or Magikarp for whatever reason, or you don't think they're all that great, but your average fan will know more about them than a Pokemon like Chingling or Binacle.

I think the best pick so far is Maractus, and while it may not be the least significant Pokemon, it's gotta be down at the bottom somewhere. They're rarely seen in the games, and are impossible to find in the 6th gen unless the right conditions are met. As for the manga, only one has appeared, and even then it was defeated almost as soon as it showed up. The only time Maractus had a bit of significance in the Pokemon franchise was for one episode of the anime, and when you consider there have been around 850 episodes so far, it doesn't seem all that important any more.
    Doesn't Dunsparce fit this role as well? In my opinion, Maractus at least has some decent stats, and looks pretty cute too. Then again, I might not be 100% objective because I really like Maractus. Too bad its movepool is so limited...

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • Elgyem and Beheeyem fit the bill for this in my opinion. I don't dislike them or anything (their designs are actually pretty cool) but they aren't a Pokemon I'd necessarily use. They're just kind of there.
    While I can definitely see the reasoning, they at least have a really unique concept and they have an evolutionary line. So they've got... SOMETHING to stand out with, even if it's not much.

GilliTheFabulous

Years

Hmm, well I see what you are getting at but I think it is a matter of opinion. The definition of the word insignificant is "something that is too small or unimportant to be worth consideration". So for some people that is magikarp, for others lucario because for them that pokemon fits the definition of said word. For some people it might even be pikachu since it is popular but not that great of a pokemon, so to that person it warrants undeserved attention which still fits the definition of the word insignificant.

However if we are talking about the least memorable pokemon, then I would have to say sigilyph. Now, I personally like this mon but is it memorable? I don't think so. It only appears a few times in the anime and only once in each game it appears in(B/W, B/W2, and X/Y). It's a 10% rarity in the desert resort(same as maractus surprisingly) yet common and uncommon and X/Y. The only reason you catch it is because you want to fill up your dex or because you are doing a nuzlocke. Its stats are okay I guess with decent sp.atk and speed but that still only puts it in the RU tier. Most people I speak to about Sigilyph have to be reminded about it as they forget the thing exists.

Back