• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's talk about robot anime

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
  • Any topics relating to the mecha genre are gravy in this thread.

Some starter topics are needed I suppose. Favourite series? Favourite mech? Watching anything mecha right now? The thread will go where it goes though probably to the bottom of the page.

Let us begin.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • My favorite mecha series so far is Neon Genesis Evangelion, clearly. However I need to accept that it has many concepts that do not really fit in the concept of mecha series, which would lead to say it isn't really a series of this kind.

Anyhow, I'm a Gundam die-hard fan. My favorite so far is Mobile Suit Z Gundam, but it can sometimes be Mobile Suit Gundam Wing.

I'm currently watching the latest Gundam series, Gundam: G no Reconguista. It has the name of Tomino all over the place. I love it.

I'm also fond of older series like Patlabor, or Gunbuster.

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Eureka Seven, Gurren Lagann. Also Mazinger Z and Mazinkaiser.

Watching Captain Earth, but it hasn't wow'd me so far.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to mecha anime, my favorites are as follows:
    Gurren Lagann
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Code Geass

As for my favorite mecha in each of those three anime, I would have to go with the following:
    Gurren Lagann - Gurren Lagann
    Evangelion Unit 02 - Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Burai class Knightmare Frame - Code Geass

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • My favorite mecha series so far is Neon Genesis Evangelion, clearly. However I need to accept that it has many concepts that do not really fit in the concept of mecha series, which would lead to say it isn't really a series of this kind.

I don't think so, it is just convoluted. It isn't massively deep or unique really. Of course not many get close to it in terms of size or reputation, especially outside of Japan.

I'm currently watching the latest Gundam series, Gundam: G no Reconguista. It has the name of Tomino all over the place. I love it.

It is certainly has a charm to it that you would struggle to find in many modern series. I loved the part in ep 3 where the battle was disturbing the animals, felt like something out of Ideon.

I'm also fond of older series like Patlabor, or Gunbuster.

Top man.

Eureka Seven, Gurren Lagann. Also Mazinger Z and Mazinkaiser.

I really need to watch more super robot stuff from that era.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • Going into other format of Mecha anime, I would like to remind everyone of Medabots. A great shounen series, and a good introduction for everyone into the mecha anime world.

It is certainly has a charm to it that you would struggle to find in many modern series. I loved the part in ep 3 where the battle was disturbing the animals, felt like something out of Ideon..

If we have some watchers over here maybe a new topic only for discussing G no Recnoguista would be great :O

I haven't watched episode 3 yet, it's waiting for me at my house, but I still need to leave the office lol

Professor_Jared

Mr. Fish trainer
    Years
  • Favorite Mecha Series: Hands down G Gundam followed by 08th MS Team, Gundam UC, Char's Counterattack, Gundam Build Fighters, and Gundam Wing. Macross-wise: Macross DYRL and Macross Plus.

Also Mazinkaiser, New Getter Robo, and Shin Mazinger Z for Super Robot anime.

Favorite mechs are in the spoiler down below:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Favourite mech series? Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. I quite enjoyed 00, but Zeta built upon the previous two series and made it so much better. It was dark and gritty even for a Gundam series, and I loved every second of it. Plus...more Char. With a hilariously bad alias and some awesome sunglasses. Can't go wrong with that.

Build Fighters gets an honourary mention for being the biggest and best fan-gratification anime I've ever seen. It even had Ramba Ral as a prominent supporting character. xD

Favourite mecha...probably Gurren Lagann, and its various incarnations, if only because they get slowly more ridiculous and overpowered with each upgrade. I also quite like GN-008 Seravee (there aren't enough beefy suits out there) and I have a soft spot for Tauburn, as well.

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • Someone mentioned Captain Earth which i fount to be so mediocre it's not worth recommending someone watch it, In fact I'd sooner recommend Star Driver because it's a bit more enjoyable to watch and the premise is quite similar.

Argento Soma is an oldy but goody in my opinion, the story line of a man hating a machine for killing his best friend who he was in love with sounds mediocre but the way they use and develop other characters around the main is pretty damn impressive. My only problem with it is that the site I used to watch it switch from Subbed to Dubbed half way through and it is no where near as good dubbed as it is subbed, however it is still an anime I highly recommend. (Also has quite a bit of Mecha fighting lol)

pkmin3033

I'd call Captain Earth a sci-fi anime. It has elements of a mecha show, but I wouldn't say it really has enough to justify calling it a mecha anime...or maybe that's just because the fights are so boring and uninspired that it's just difficult to think of it as one? It has a likeable main cast, though, and I've seen worse plots...but yeah, Star Driver is the better BONES anime. xD

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • I'd call Captain Earth a sci-fi anime. It has elements of a mecha show, but I wouldn't say it really has enough to justify calling it a mecha anime...or maybe that's just because the fights are so boring and uninspired that it's just difficult to think of it as one? It has a likeable main cast, though, and I've seen worse plots...but yeah, Star Driver is the better BONES anime. xD

If you took the characters from Captain Earth and put them in a Mecha anime with a better story i think they would do a lot better but I agree that it's hard to think of it as a mecha anime because the fights are usually like 5 minutes of talking/shouting then 1 minute of actual battle.

Years
  • I seen Full metal panic, Code geass and chobits. Loved all of them in their own way.

Full metal panic has the coolest robots and a really fun querkiness to it.
    Code geass is awesome cool and just entertaining all the way thru
    Chobits is facinating in a its own way for sure.

Back