• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's talk about school

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
    Earlier this year the school district that I went to celebrated its centennial of education. Plus for the next three years, the high school is getting remodeled. I recall my favorite subject in school was History. My worst was math. Course it has been seven years since I graduated from high school. As for college, I attended a community college that used the quarter system.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2022
    Can't believe I'm the first one in here to say that I hated school.

Food was okay actually just the rest was crap.

You couldn't pay me enough to go back and if I thought I could burn the place to the ground and get away with it I would be buying the gasoline right now. Worst years of my life. Bullied non stop and pushed in front of cars on my way home just because I dared to need glasses and be slightly overweight. Not even enough to be out of healthy range, I was size 12 for Christ's sake. But for some people, the slightest reason is enough.

Then one day I decided I had enough, was seriously considering killing myself, came home set to do whatever I had to do to put an end to it and found that I had a message from one of my friends on a forum. Nothing special, just chatty and I just sat down to reply and before I knew it my mum was home and I'd lost the motivation to do it. Next day I went in, got the usual torrent of abuse. This one guy knocked me down and I just snapped and went nuts and he ended up in the emergency room with a broken rib.

Funnily enough they never touched me again. Planning on home schooling my kids.

I've been having issues with getting my transfer credits over to my current school due to advisor incompetence but just last night I went to check my unofficial transcript to see that they've finally been moved over omg!! No longer do I have to worry about being 2 credits short of my bachelor's degree and needing to take an online course or whatever.

I can graduate and be done. Forever. :D You've no idea how happy that makes me because I was one of those people who loathed each school day (especially in college) from start to finish.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Going to college next week. So nervous, I don't even know who my roommate is.

Wow, same here haha.

I'm not too nervous yet.. I don't think that it's hit me that I'll be 3 hours away from my family and my home for the next year.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    It's really not that scary, especially since you're with hundreds of other people going through the exact same thing, you know?

Euphoric

Indefatigable
    Years
    Ugh, you just reminded me my financial aid STILL hasn't been processed. And I have to pay that crap next Wednesday. Halp.

Also, I had Chipotle every other day for a month. Never again.
    That sounds pretty great, haha. I love Chipotle.

The high school that I'm currently attending has decent, I guess, food. It's not exceptional but it serves the purpose.

The school itself is pretty good. I'd say it's better than the food, at least :p I'm satisfied with it for the time being. Then again, my county does have very good schools in general. I'd like to go someone far away when I go to uni, though.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    For everyone going to college for the first time, I second the comment that it's not that scary. Just be friendly, and if someone suggests doing something social, do it, even if you'd rather go back to your room and sleep or decompress. Everyone's in the same boat, so most people will be eager to make friends and fit into the new environment. Also, don't worry if you tire yourself out too much during orientation, as there generally aren't many assignments due the first week of class (unlike in high school, where work is often due each day), so you can catch up a bit on sleep then. (If your school already had orientation, then just try to meet people and socialize some during the first week or so of class, then buckle down and stay on top of your work.)

Essentially, you'll still be a student, just like you've been for the past 13+ years. If you haven't lived away from home before, that will take some getting used to, but it's a natural transition in the same way as the transitions from elementary to middle school or middle school to high school. It probably seems scarier or less certain, but you'll get through it well enough. And if you have trouble, personally or academically, ask around for help/resources sooner rather than later.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    The college I go to right now is alright. I really don't talk to anyone there, but the one's I have talked to were pretty nice. I'm taking art classes in a few weeks, and I think I'm gonna try to talk to more people. I feel since I'll be with people who have the same interest as me, then I will be more comfortable and make friends.It's a community college so I'm only there for two years and then I'm gone so I better make friends there while I can. High school I hated so much. I hate the people and I felt like I didn't belong at all. I was the geeky nerd among the jock people. It was so weird. Grade school was cool, but middle school was bad since I got in trouble all the time so that was hell.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    Starting college in a week... Eep, I'm nervous. xD
    I've already been in one week in orientation but there's still a ton of things to do before the lessons actually start.

Just hoping that I don't need to take the mandatory English class if I score high on the English test for new students. High school's English is a huge snooze fest, and I really don't want to go through it again at college. :<

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Yeah man, I have no idea what to expect. I'll be 10. xD

Dang, thats quite a distance owo

I'm think that I'll be more comfortable once classes start and I get more used to living in the dorm. The first week (this upcoming week) is like an orientation/welcome week, and I'm afraid it's going to be super camp-y but hopefully I'll be able to befriend a good handful of my classmates.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I dropped out of college. When I found out that I wasn't going to be able to take a creative writing course because of requirements, that bummed me out a lot. What was crazy was that I was going for a creative writing degree. So they were going to give me a creative writing degree without me actually taking a creative writing course. I'm so not spending that much money on a bunch of useless classes, sorry!

Years
    My school lunches are pretty good, but obviously they get pretty tiring. I can't wait to get out of high school and go to college, from what I know it's so much better d:

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
    My school lunches are pretty good, but obviously they get pretty tiring. I can't wait to get out of high school and go to college, from what I know it's so much better d:

You and me both. But I'm a glutton, so I'll eat if it's edible. My school has square pizzas and questionable taco meat and pasta and macroni and fried chicken and fruit of all things.

I wonder if the guy who designed the standards for schools also worked on prisons at some point. xD

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    Most of the posters in this thread are gluttons, from what I see. P:

I have a canteen, and not a cafeteria. Food is pretty standard, but not many stands here sells rice, mostly noodles. P:

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    It is what it is - I'm pretty neutral about school unless other aspects come in, like romantic interests or sports, which are actually both apart of my life currently so I'm ready to go back!

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I dropped out of college. When I found out that I wasn't going to be able to take a creative writing course because of requirements, that bummed me out a lot. What was crazy was that I was going for a creative writing degree. So they were going to give me a creative writing degree without me actually taking a creative writing course. I'm so not spending that much money on a bunch of useless classes, sorry!

Just curious, to become a fictional writer would it be even necessary to earn a degree? Sorry if that was a dumb question. :c

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    Just curious, to become a fictional writer would it be even necessary to earn a degree? Sorry if that was a dumb question. :c
    Well, it depends on what you're going for. If you want an official job, such as a journalist or a storyboard writer, then you're going to want a degree. You don't have to have a writing degree to be a novelist, so that's good news for me! Well, a degree isn't a necessity, but employers look for it for proof that you know what you're doing. But for me, actually getting some writing published will prove more than some degree can, so that's what I'm going for.

Back