• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Like the Unova region is ours

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Well it can never really be ours, 'cause Alder is the most powerful etc and therefore seems more like his if anyone.

Kay so, do you think Alder deserved to be the champion? He appeared first in Route 5, said a few motivational words and overall managed to influence Cheren's opinion on strength and power positively. He also seemed to get along with everyone within the region, so he had a good personality as well as helpful, both seen throughout the storyline.

However! Do you think his Pokemon suited that of a champion, and if you could replace him, would you replace him with anyone? If so, who, and how would you change the storyline to suit the new champion? Or would you just replace his Pokemon and be done with it? If so, share the moveset and such. :)

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • I personally think story-wise Alder is perfect for a champion, especially with putting Cheren's thoughts on the right path.

However, his Pokemon are a completely different story. Three Bug-types, really? I think the only Bug-type he should have kept is Volcarona. As far as the other two, how about he gets something like maybe Beheeyem and Eelektross? Just something to give him a wider variety of types. With his current team, half his team (Accelgor, Escavalier, and Vanilluxe) can be swept with Fire-type moves.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • He has pretty cool music, shows up a couple of times, but he feels more like a version of Professor Juniper (the male one), both show up at the same times sort of, with Alder deciding to duke it out in the Relic Castle and at the end (and losing thanks to what, a lvl 52 reshiram/zekrom with lvl 70+ pokemon? nooob).

I'd probably replace him in a heartbeat. Cynthia could be an option, she could totally arrive at Mistaltron and cause havoc in the hearts of Team Plasma, but it would feel like a bit of an asspull to have her appear in another region as a champ (though since she lost to the challenger in D/P/Pt, it'd totally make sense that she'd move over for the winner, and even without that we know that Lance had his fun with two regions as well, sooo)

I'd totally have Clay as a champ to be honest, he seemed to be the one that did the most versus the Plasmas anyway, and he is the one leading the charge towards the castle at the end. He'd naturally be an expert on the Relic Castle as well, as a ground-type user..

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Yeah I think I liked him, I didn't find him that interesting though. He had cool music, and that mysterious story about one of his Pokémond dying. His Pokémon did suite him if you ask him, he seemed a lot more fun than the other champions, but still keeping his sense and the whole wiseness about him. He looks a lot like his signature Pokémon Volcarna too so thats a little cool. I'm not really sure about appointing a different champion, and I know Cynthia is fine in Sinnoh, and it was pretty cool to see her in Unova, but no more Garchomp please.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Alder has the makings of a champion, but his Pokemon could use improvement. IMO, Vanilluxe doesn't really suit him, so I'd rather let Alder have Darmanitan instead.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I really like Alder and his character, he should stay as champion. However, I agree that his team should be mixed up a bit. Volcarona is really the only challenging Pokemon he has.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Do you think Alder deserved to be the champion?
    I don't think they would have appointed him out of all the trainers residing in Unova or else where if they didn't think he was up to the task.

Do you think his Pokemon suited that of a champion, and if you could replace him, would you replace him with anyone?
    Sure, his pokemon are suited because as we know they are apart of the Champs team. I would switch around a couple. Obviously Volcarona is his signature pokemon and anchor of his team, so I would build around that I'd keep keep Bouffalant. I actually like Accelgor and Escavalier on his team, but for a guy that doesn't specialize in Bug types he seems to have a bit much. I'd replace Vanilluxe, and maybe keep Druddigon since Dragon types are generally strong. I always thought he would have Eelektross since it would give him type diversity and has a pretty good move pool. Maybe replace Escavalier with another Steel type in Excadrill. Gigalith would be a pretty nice addition. Eh might as well throw in Mandibuzz since no other trainer is really using it if I remember correctly. Not that I am too high on that I'd prefer him to have Braviary but then he would have two pokemon Cynthia have.

If so, who, and how would you change the storyline to suit the new champion? Or would you just replace his Pokemon and be done with it?
    No he is perfectly fine as he is. If anything I'd replace him with somebody within the Unova League like maybe Drayden, then we would have to wonder if it's Iris or him at the Opelucid Gym for the third game.

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2011
    I like Alder, but I do think his pokemon could be stronger, more challenging. I'd give him this team: Volcarona, Hydreigon, Reuniclus/Gothitelle (depending on the version you play, he has the one unavailable), Haxorus, Eelektross, and Excadrill. Volcarona would still be his ace, spamming quiver dance.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Well it can never really be ours, 'cause Alder is the most powerful etc and therefore seems more like his if anyone.

Kay so, do you think Alder deserved to be the champion? He appeared first in Route 5, said a few motivational words and overall managed to influence Cheren's opinion on strength and power positively. He also seemed to get along with everyone within the region, so he had a good personality as well as helpful, both seen throughout the storyline.

However! Do you think his Pokemon suited that of a champion, and if you could replace him, would you replace him with anyone? If so, who, and how would you change the storyline to suit the new champion? Or would you just replace his Pokemon and be done with it? If so, share the moveset and such. :)

Of course I can accept him as a champion! He is the first "Old Man" champion in the game. His pokemon is quite fitting I think. Its just too bad he is in the game where nearly everybody keep whinning that they can defeat him with one fire type. I don't like to get stickied by the game rule when talking about some character pokemon team.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I honestly think Alder is the worst champion. His character is annoying, he's not that tough, and he just seems to wander around Unova aimlessly turning up after something bad happened, but not really doing much to help. He deserves to be on the elite four, simply because they gave him a team with high levels and frequently included him in the story, but he's not champion material.

I'd rather have seen something done with Drayden and Iris for champion. It might have been interesting to fight them in a double battle, but idk.

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    His lineup shouldve been in no order

Volcarona
    Haxorus
    Terrakion
    Tornadus
    Whatever starter wasnt picked by you/rival
    Filler

Years
  • Volcarona Good choice keeping Volcarona.
    Haxorus Haxorus? I don't know about that...
    Terrakion No. Just no. Legendaries are never found on a champion's team!
    Tornadus NO!
    Whatever starter wasnt picked by you/rival No- well, maybe...
    Filler I have no idea.

Anyways, here would be a better idea for his team.

Volcarona
    Eelektross
    Druddigon
    Darmanitan
    Stunfisk
    Ferrothorn

Why Ferrothorn and Stunfisk? Both are underused Pokemon, never appearing in trainers' rosters.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • Alder's team sucks IMO because it has no real type diversity. 4 of his 6 pokes can be sweeped by a rock-type move, and Escavalier is his only pokemon that has solid defense, though Bouffalant has some bulk.

Years
  • I kinda always saw alder as a "wilderness" man( the outfit an wild hair) so I think I woulda chose something like...
    volcarona
    Sawsbuck
    Mandibuzz
    galvantula
    Beartic
    Bouffalant
    Everyone says unova is supposed to represent america an I think those pokes represent some common american wildlife
    The galvantula ...im up in the air on that one, but its seem like him to me.maybe krookodile instead.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • "OMG he's a Cipher Admin Dakim clone!" was my first thought when I saw him... and when he started mentioning his "partner" I kept thinking it was that Shadow Entei that Wes snagged from him in Colosseum xD It's still really hard for me to take him seriously as a champion still, since he's modeled after an administrator of a criminal organization.

And his team is in that limbo zone... he doesn't train exclusively one type, but with so many bugs others easily have him beaten in the type-diversity department. He could've gotten a better team, but that still wouldn't shake the whole "Alder = Dakim" thing out of my mind...

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • "OMG he's a Cipher Admin Dakim clone!" was my first thought when I saw him...
    This, although my friend also pointed out his face looked like an unshaven Oak's... it might be partly the eyebrows, but:
    Spoiler:

Anyways, although sure his team choices were a bit odd in being half bug and also having a few Normals I felt he was a decent champion... i just wish we had more backstory about his deceased Pokemon that kept on being mentioned vaguely. =/

But he was more likeable to me than say Steven, and came off as less of a stalker than Cynthia in Platinum too.

Simmy93

Aspiring Emulator
    Years
  • Bar his party, yes. I think Alder is a good champion. His physical apperance really sold it for me. Strength both within and without. His bugs however.. I mean I see what they tried to do. Showing the two evolution via trading pokemon but it seems silly to have such a clean sweep if you started with Tepig.

Simipour

Geyser Pokemon
    Years
  • I like Alder, but I think he deserves to have more added to his backstory. He has potential as a character, and I like that he seems to have feelings; dealing with the loss of a Pokemon and trying to help Cheren out.
    If there is a third installment I want to know a bit more about him.

I think his team could have been improved on, though. It just didn't strike me as champion-like as the teams of the previous ones.

Forgive me, I found Ghetsis' team and battle more dramatic.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
  • Alder sucks.

(First part is a lot of me ranting)

Most dissapointing champion I've ever faced to be honest. Thanks for making wallace and the water type look that much better because your team sucks and you look like some deranged rancher hobo.It's no wonder he lost to N because it even shows it in his text that he doesn't care about "getting stronger".

I want a champion with an outfit that says "stand back and watch the master". Alder doesn't give you that feeling. Nor does his team. It has no theme to it and speaking of "theme" the music stinks. Most of his team is wiped away by fire and fighting attacks. Heres a team I made using only pokemon from the region:

Electross- WTH kind of setup is he going for with accelgor?
    Thunderbolt
    Thunder wave
    Brick break
    Dragon tail

Hydreigon- Has much better base stats and movepool than druddigon.
    Fire blast
    Focus blast
    Crunch
    Draco meteor/Outrage/Dragon pulse/dragon rush

Volcarona- His current moveset is sloppy and risky.
    Quiver dance
    Flamethrower
    Bug buzz
    Psychic/ hidden power (mine is fighting)

Jellicent- The region is limitd on water types but it covers for more than vanilluxe for sure.
    Surf
    ice beam
    Will-O-Wisp
    hex

Mienshao- Just a personal favorite
    High jump kick/drain punch
    Acrobatics
    Reflect
    Bulk up/u-turn

Reuniclus- Another favorite. Makes me happy I got White version while all my friends got black =)
    Psyshock
    Focus blast
    Thunder
    recover

That's mostly just my favorites. It's much more creative than Alder's team though.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    (First part is a lot of me ranting)

Most dissapointing champion I've ever faced to be honest. Thanks for making wallace and the water type look that much better because your team sucks and you look like some deranged rancher hobo.It's no wonder he lost to N because it even shows it in his text that he doesn't care about "getting stronger".

I want a champion with an outfit that says "stand back and watch the master". Alder doesn't give you that feeling. Nor does his team. It has no theme to it and speaking of "theme" the music stinks. Most of his team is wiped away by fire and fighting attacks. Heres a team I made using only pokemon from the region:

Electross- WTH kind of setup is he going for with accelgor?
    Thunderbolt
    Thunder wave
    Brick break
    Dragon tail

Hydreigon- Has much better base stats and movepool than druddigon.
    Fire blast
    Focus blast
    Crunch
    Draco meteor/Outrage/Dragon pulse/dragon rush

Volcarona- His current moveset is sloppy and risky.
    Quiver dance
    Flamethrower
    Bug buzz
    Psychic/ hidden power (mine is fighting)

Jellicent- The region is limitd on water types but it covers for more than vanilluxe for sure.
    Surf
    ice beam
    Will-O-Wisp
    hex

Mienshao- Just a personal favorite
    High jump kick/drain punch
    Acrobatics
    Reflect
    Bulk up/u-turn

Reuniclus- Another favorite. Makes me happy I got White version while all my friends got black =)
    Psyshock
    Focus blast
    Thunder
    recover

That's mostly just my favorites. It's much more creative than Alder's team though.

While this thread would've been fine about a week ago, it fits perfectly fine into this Alder thread where you can state your thoughts about him. Merged~

Back