• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Loneliness.

Lindblum

you're not alone
Years
I'm pretty sure everyone experiences this at some point. But is it really always a bad feeling? Do you prefer to be alone most of the time or are you one of those people who can't get by in the day without having conversed with someone else. This can range from small talk, to having to know everything that is going on in your friend circle/at work etc.

I always wonder if it's the fact that we always associate being alone with loneliness that being by yourself is quite often viewed as a negative thing. It could be the idea of being alone, not the actual fact that you are alone and you can do as you please (most of the time!) that induces so much loneliness.

Do you get lonely often? Did you ever go through a period in your life where you were actively alone for long periods of time?

Ultramarine

Turn the tables
Years
Yah, I have nothing to do and all day to do it. This leads to me spamming my friends and if I just meet someone, while I may not talk much in person, I can't help but talk a lot via text. I've lost friends because I talked to them too much and I got annoying. I'm working on it, but...

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 11, 2020
I used to be very antisocial; I had social anxiety, I couldn't talk to anyone and I had very few friends.

But I think there was one point where I realised my loneliness (the last thing my ex said to me on the phone before we broke up was "Your problem is you're just lonely" and that just got to me so much) and I decided to do something about it. Every day, I try to talk to at least one person who's not a member of my family - whether it be phoning them or texting - and it's just made me much more comfortable. Even today, I've done nothing social all day, but I've facebooked quite a few of my friends. I doubt I could revert back to being asocial and lonely like I was before.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
Well... I'm the only one in my family without a job, so there are multiple times throughout the week where everyone except me are out of the house at the same time, especially in holidays. So yeah, I am lonely frequently, though not for a long time in a day, just a lot of times. Though I don't mind just my own company I do need to speak to people to keep me sane and that is one of the reasons why I'm part of PC I guess.

There was a period of time however earlier this month when my school didn't give me the permission to go with my family to attend my sister's wedding back in my home country, and so I was home alone for two weeks. It was actually fun the first few days, being all by myself and therefore being able to crank up the volume on music and just lounge around doing absolutely nothing but after a while I started feeling really lonely and so my mood was pretty crappy. So the second week my friends came to mine all the time and sometimes stayed in for the night. I felt much better and less sad afterwards.

ElGuapoAssassin

Lord Of Dragons
Years
  • Age 35
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 9, 2014
I've been through a lot of negative things this year, so being alone just gives me time to think about all the bad things that has happened and I hate to dwell because it's never good. Other than that, I love my solitude. I went through a period of my life where I had no friends for over a year and spent that entire year alone and I loved it. Sometimes people and their drama can really get to you and it's best to step away from it for awhile and relax.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 1, 2021
Let's get one thing straight, being alone is not the same thing as feeling lonely. Personally I do not mind being alone, I enjoy solitude to a point and sometimes you just need to be alone. You may be alone but there are people you can talk to and are willing to take time out of their days to talk to you. Being lonely is feeling like there isn't anyone there for you at all, doesn't matter the reason but people rarely talk to you. It just feels like no one either notices you, or if they do want nothing to do with you emotionally. You could be with a group of people but still feel lonely for various reasons.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Depends on the situation. Sometimes, I like to be alone or not. But for me, it's really better to be alone.
I'm not really that good at making friends, and I'm more like a shut-in kind of person. It's just different
when I'm alone, I can think of many things and reflect. In my opinion, being with someone really makes
me happy, but, I don't wanna feel happy every time. It's a weird feeling, but I think I just gotta wake up.
But, I'm more lonely than friendly. I'm different today, that was when I were a kid. People change. :)

mayuyu

Fairy Queen
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 22, 2014
I hate how it's a "bad" thing to want to be alone, so I feel compelled to always surround myself with people when I'm in public. But I hate it. I feel so uncomfortable. I'd much rather prefer being alone.

Everyone thinks I'm this huge extrovert but I always fake it. Whenever there's a school break or holiday I always go ghost and everyone thinks that's so weird but after months of pretending to enjoy myself with others, I just get tired. I constantly crave a break from people, even from people I'm close to.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I lock myself in my room all day. Don't get me wrong, I like spending time with friends, but it gets a bit much at times. If I don't spend time alone I get crabby and mad at everything. When my relatives were over for Christmas, I didn't get any time to myself for about three days. When my brother wanted to use the Xbox, I shouted at him to shutup out of the blue. Yeah, I locked myself in my room after that and felt completely better after an hour or two.

Years
I like to be alone, I hate to be lonely.

Sometimes solitude is relaxing or comforting, it can be nice to be away from people and the drams they bring etc... but at the same time, feeling disconnected is terrible. I do like the company of others and contact with others but sometimes it just gets to be a bit much.

Nakala Pri

I hate being alone, I detest it! Mostly because I love being the center of attention and if I have to put myself in the spotlight, then I usually smash my foot into a brick on purpose and then sit on the couch, eating ice cream and getting tons of spotlight. xD

But yeah, I hate being alone. :P

Years
I've been getting increasingly lonely over the Christmas break. It sucks and I've been inadvertently learning things about myself which I don't think I would if I had anyone else to focus attention on.
I miss the days where I could fall asleep with whomever and not have the itching feeling that I need to leave before they wake up. Actually i wish I could wake up next to someone knowing it meant something being there.

Autaven

Gamer Girl
Years
I don't mind being alone - and I've came to realise that if I don't get a certain amount of time alone (eg. over Christmas when there is a lot of family gatherings etc) then I become a little cranky. I think it gives me time to unwind and relax - all I really like to do is sit on my laptop, play some things or watch something. I think everyone has their own thing which helps them to stay calm and in control.

That isn't to say I'd always want to be by myself, I am happy spending time with my family and my boyfriend and life is much happier with them in it - but I am also comfortable spending time with just myself :)

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
Years
Please don't call me crazy for saying this

Well technically I don't ever get too lonely considering that I hear so many voices in my head anyways Maybe I'm Schitzo

But I don't mind being alone, it helps me think, when you are alone for too long, that's probably when you start getting lonely, sometimes it is a bad thing because it could lead to depression then to worse things if you aren't a very strong person.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I'm alone about 98% of the time. After some recent events that have happened, I prefer to be on my own, because my trust in others is dwindling fast. I don't quite mind it, even though I'm quiet, because the quiet ones have the loudest minds.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Most of the time, I'm usually alone. I'm not that social. In fact, before I joined PC, I could go weeks without texting/calling anyone. I'd just stay in my room listening to music, imagining things and lazying around. I used to mind it and I'd get needy for social interactions but not anymore. In fact, now I prefer staying alone and I'm starting to find social interactions to be boring. At least, there's the Internet.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I think there's something in the water they give teenagers that either makes them want to be alone or feel lonely when they are. In my experience it evaporates when you hit your early twenties. I like people, I like company and I think cutting yourself off from other people is just cutting yourself off from experiences and missing opportunities.

Back