• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mac vs. Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
  • Let's try to keep the discussion civil; if we can't do that, I'll be closing this thread.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    Let's try to keep the discussion civil; if we can't do that, I'll be closing this thread.
    lol.
    --
    someone here said that i can install windows on a mac machine. is that true?
    -
    and btw, i wanted to ask whether apple offers any discount to students? coz its a bit too expensive and.... i wont be allowed to buy something that expensive..

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • lol.
    --
    someone here said that i can install windows on a mac machine. is that true?
    -
    and btw, i wanted to ask whether apple offers any discount to students? coz its a bit too expensive and.... i wont be allowed to buy something that expensive..
    Yes you can install Windows on a Mac. As long as it's Intel Based, it's pretty easy to do. There are two ways: use a Boot Camp (which runs the Windows nativley) or use virtualization software (which runs Windows within the Mac OSX).

Also, you can have education discounts. Look on the Apple website.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    You can also do vice versa. I had Macintosh run on my Windows PC off the same partition. How? It was a ROM. Still counts.

Years
  • Tried it, hated it, make Mac virus on top of my To-Destroy list. Besides, SP2 is horrific, SP3 makes up for the errors. And don't kill Windows Explorer, you need to force-boot it to return your desktop.
    Rubbish, Windows Explorer will revive itself unless you personally kill it. In which case, Alt+Ctrl+Del to open task manager and start the explorer task.
    Windows has a wide variety of programs and games because it's widely used. Macs don't have nearly as much, but people that invest in WINE can use Windows programs seamlessly. Also, you can install Windows on a different Partition if you run a Mac, but Windows can't run Mac OS on a different partition, because of compatibility. Mac programs won't run on Windows either.
    Firstly, WINE is not a solution, as twocows said. It refers the libraries to their Mac/Linux equivalents, which is rarely perfect in execution. And there's nothing to stop you installing OSX on a PC. I have it on a partition of my laptop, it's just that there's no drivers for my wireless card.
    Every day, viruses, malware, Trojans and worms are made to attack Windows users. The reason Windows OS is so susceptible to viruses is because if important files in the Computers are damaged or destroyed, it can make the system crash because the files that rely on the damaged/destroyed file won't operate correctly. Macs run differently. Each part of the system is separate, but work all together, so if one is destroyed, it can be replaced easily because you still have limited access to the OS. Windows usually will require a fresh reinstall. There are security programs for both though.
    That's totally wrong. While Unix derivatives are of a slightly more modular nature, you take out the wrong system file, you get a Kernel Panic. If you think that booting into single user mode (-s) counts as limited access, then it's no different to doing a repair from a Windows disc.
    (why would anyone want to run Windows?) :(
    Uh... Because there's a lot of people that need Windows software, and because Windows does certain things better.

I'm a die-hard Mac user, but this is not true.

This thread is beginning to become one of those messes where everybody states an unfounded, argument-taunting fanboyish opinion on something that is really down to personal preference and willingness/ability to purchase.
    I think wakachamo is right. By all means, give OSX a go. If you like it, use it. Otherwise, use Windows, or even give Linux a go. Chances are if you dislike OSX, you will dislike Linux, but that depends. I quite like OSX, but it comes down to the fact that I don't currently have the money to fork out on a Macbook.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Mac OS on the other hand has based its system from UNIX, the most stable operating system. The programs are separated and if one program crashes you can restart it or force quit it (a feature only in Mac OS).

Linux destroys Mac in terms of security. Also, Windows doesn't work the way you think it does and this so called advantage has been on Windows as long as I can remember.

Now security. Like all Windows users have experienced, Windows is the most prone OS to viruses and problems. Whereas Mac OS is a secure OS (because UNIX is secure), and is yet to be affected with viruses.

Windows is the most attacked OS. It is not the most "prone" OS. Macs are not secure Operating Systems. In fact, Linux pretty much embarrasses them in that regard.

Windows 7 is just an incredible OS. I could never imagine using anything but it and maybe Ubuntu for any reason.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2010
    Windows, most computers use it and it just makes your life easier... you don't have to worry if you can run certain program or not if you have a Mac, or if you have a problem that you can't solve... everybody's using a Windows PC.
    I really don't trust Macs that much, but IDK why everybody in the sound industry uses a Mac.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    ive seen that people who play a lot of pc games, do not use mac.
    does windows have anything to do with better graphics?

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012

Most of the games only support Windows. Mac users usually use boot camp or something to run Windows on their PC to play games. There are games compatible with Mac, though. As for the graphics, they are the same, no? (not sure) Maybe Windows is better, IDK. Windows is the best OS for games, so if you are into gaming, stay with Windows.

Is Windows poor when it comes to running higher-end 3D games, or not? It will run slowly, so I've heard. :\

Last edited:
    Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024

There are a number of reasons why this is. The first reason: most computer games nowadays are written for Windows, because that's where the market is. If they had time, they might write a port for OS X as an afterthought, but it undoubtedly wouldn't be as good.

The second reason: the Mac video drivers and libraries aren't written for gaming. It's as simple as that; games can't utilize the graphics power present in most computers as well as they can under Windows. This is due to the fact that the game engines are more developed for Windows based systems than for OS X based systems. If you don't believe me, get a computer with both operating systems on it, download the exact same game (for me, it's Portal à la Steam on Snow Leopard and Win 7) and play it on both. The Windows version will be a lot better. Trust me.

The third reason: Making games is hard. Most developers just develop for Windows because that's either all they know how to do or they simply don't want to make it for Mac.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2011
    I'm a Mac user, but I've been a Mac user for quite a long time, so I don't really know much about PCs. Macs I feel like allow more detail work (I'm talking about in programming, movies, ect.), but they're a lot more confusing to use than a PC. Also (my dad, who loves all Apple products) has pointed out that in many movies, the 'bad guys' use PCs, while the 'good guys' use Macs. Haha- I'm wondering if that's really true or not :P

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I'm a Mac user, but I've been a Mac user for quite a long time, so I don't really know much about PCs. Macs I feel like allow more detail work (I'm talking about in programming, movies, ect.), but they're a lot more confusing to use than a PC. Also (my dad, who loves all Apple products) has pointed out that in many movies, the 'bad guys' use PCs, while the 'good guys' use Macs. Haha- I'm wondering if that's really true or not :P
    Again, Macs are PCs. PC stands for "personal computer."

You can do programming just fine on a Windows computer, and there are plenty of powerful movie editing tools on Windows computers as well. Mac OS X is generally touted as being "easier" than Windows (whether it is so is a matter of preference). You've got your notions backward.

locoroco

Ginga Densetsu Weed ANIME PWNS
    Years
  • No, I don't use Windows. I used to, though. It used to happened to me with Windows; namely XP (SP 2). I use Mac OS now. I was just stating my experience with Windows, as a previous Windows user :\

Anyway, I don't know what you want to do, but try out the Mac. IF you don't like it, switch back..

Well that was because sp2 sucked. Try win xp sp3 and win 7 those are awesome and i dont think that you will have any problems with them unless your one of those persons who like to enter in any webpage no matter what your gut feeling tells you.

oh my?!? i really think i have.

but really, ive never seen many people use mac OS. And also why is mac so expensive? :\ (in comparison to a windows PC or laptop with almost the same specs.)

I know they actually overcharge for there specs i mean an i7 with 4 gigs of ram 3k??? really.

Well i never tried mac so i wont say anything about it being safer or less safer, the reason that mac doesn't get viruses is because not that many people have it so coders don't actually try to make viruses for mac or so ive read. I wont say anything about the interface either honestly i find windows interface comfortable and responsive and don't forget beautiful. I wont talk about stability on macs i don't have any stability problems on xp she runs perfect with the occasional lag which is because i have a lot of things that emulate win7 effects on xp and its very rare that i lag. And lastly my opinion: I find that windows is better than mac (even though i havent used the original) i find it better ive been with windows since xp came out so i can tell you that windows is better.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I find that windows is better than mac (even though [S-HIGHLIGHT]i havent used the original[/S-HIGHLIGHT]) i find it better ive been with windows since xp came out so[S-HIGHLIGHT] i can tell you that windows is better.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Really? You said that you were underqualified to give an opinion and then made a verdict. The fact is that each brand has pros and cons, so each person should make their own choice.

Aero Blitz

Faster Than Sceptile
    Years
  • but really, ive never seen many people use mac OS. And also why is mac so expensive? :\ (in comparison to a windows PC or laptop with almost the same specs.)

Yes they overcharge, that should be obvious. In my opinion, you're paying for the Apple logo and the OS X.

Exothermic

Keeper of the Hammer
    Years
  • Macs are better in a sense that they are less prone to viruses and other malware as not many people actually make them. They'd rather create malware and trojans for Windows PCs, as there is a larger proportion of users using Windows.

However, I do prefer Windows personally; as I am pretty much used to using them and don't intend on switching to a Mac anytime soon. xP

Zet

Years
  • Macs are better in a sense that they are less prone to viruses and other malware as not many people actually make them. They'd rather create malware and trojans for Windows PCs, as there is a larger proportion of users using Windows.

However, I do prefer Windows personally; as I am pretty much used to using them and don't intend on switching to a Mac anytime soon. xP
    You probably won't want to switch any time soon considering how much of an increase malware, trojans etc are in the wild now for mac OS X.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back