• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

maoh4567

that's what she said...
    Years
    Map name: ?? Town (I cant think of a name for this)
    Map Game: FireRed

Pls give any comments or suggestions

Map Rating/Review Thread

Feel free to rate

Last edited:

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    Map name: ?? Town (I cant think of a name for this)
    Map Game: FireRed

Pls give any comments or suggestions

Map Rating/Review Thread

Feel free to rate
    This is good! Infact, it's very good!
    I didn't spot any tile errors..
    9/10 for a starting town
    7/10 for mapping

+ the path is good
    + some mountains
    - some trees are in rows

Neti

Inactive
    Years
    Rating: 3/10 (Hm, you got Neti's highest rating and my lowest? Strange how that works...)

Reason: Frankly, I was quite shocked to see Neti giving this map such a good rating. To be blunt, it's quite bad. First and foremost, the tile errors are blatant and vast in number. Although Neti pointed out some of them, there were still quite a few that he missed. For example, the hideous, truly awful tree error on the east edge of the map. I honestly cringed when I saw that. Your use of the mountain tiles is just terrible. The physical impossibilities are so seriously disturbing, to even consider of a 9.2 rating is absurd (I'm looking at you, Neti). If I were to make a picture like Neti did with all of the mapping errors highlighted, you wouldn't be able to see the map. Harsh, yes, but someone needs to speak out before this page is lost like all the others.

A Net Center and a PokéCetner? A little much don't you think? Your tree shading (or lack thereof) is poor. Also, you can't just transition straight from grass to mountain tile. The same goes for differing mountain shades. You used two different types of paths. Grass in towns is frowned upon, even in unreachable areas. You used only one grass tile, save for a handful of tiles here and there. You have a cave entrance that leads to nothing. This would be okay if you were going to put a pokéball there but there is no room for that. My guess is that you made this map without taking gameplay and storyline into consideration. Your use of cave entrances seems to suggest exactly that.

Suggestions:
    Look at a mapping tutorial. Any one at all.

P.S. Please don't take any of this personally. I know it's hard (even I struggle with it) but very little of what I write in a critical manner is written out of anger or hate. Take this as constructive criticism.
    --------------------

@Neti
    100% for Disturbed's map? You've gotta be kidding me. I can give a few reasons to deduct points if you're really having that much trouble.

What a bleak post for my 100th one :\
    I already figured out my map rating system produces too good ratings...
    there was a map once that i didnt really like and it got really close to 20
    well i think ill have to change the system a bit, put less points on obvious things such as "no straight lines" or "no tile errors" and more on the things based on my personal opinion and feeling, eg "idea" and "overall look"

but i still dont consider that one map bad
    it looks nice
    yes, it has a lot of errors, but those can be fixed

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    Spoiler:

I have spotted quite a number of tile errors in your map, neo. Take a look in the spoiler above.

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    It seems my map has been overlooked...
    I hate it when I am the last post on a page, and no-one sees it...
    Well, I'll post the link to my post here...

CLICK HERE
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=4230439&postcount=2825

Please rate it and Criticize... I need to better my mapping skills, and getting criticism is one of the best ways!

Too much blank space 0m3GA. It is big enough as a city, but the space needs filling a little more. Try adding more buildings into it. The houses with a green roof have tile errors, so don't use them.

7/10

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2009
    It seems my map has been overlooked...
    I hate it when I am the last post on a page, and no-one sees it...
    Well, I'll post the link to my post here...

Please rate it and Criticize... I need to better my mapping skills, and getting criticism is one of the best ways!

I give your map a 3/10. What are you trying to do with the lake or w/e in the middle? It really looks bad, especially with the messy grass tiles all around it. Not to mention all the empty space and badly placed houses. It also looks like your going to have some border problems.

Try something smaller before you move onto cities, once you seem to be good at mapping towns and routes and stuff then move on. Also go to the tuts/documents section of the forums and look at some of the AdvMap tuts, there are a lot of them.

Hello! I have a final version of Marmoria town.
    Hack from
    Fire red.
    Comments
    Please Inform me of any tile errors. I hope you guys like, because this map will be in pokemon Obsidian.

Again the White parts are the worn out parts.
    (Hopefully ill get a higher rating from neti)
    (Photobucket keeps saving my maps as JPEG)

I give your map a 5/10.
    Your map just seems way to busy, lots of rocks and lots of bushes. It makes it look hard for the player to get around. The mountains decent, but a lot of tile errors.

suggestions: take your time, its no race, make sure everything is perfect and dont make a map that you would like make a map that a player would like that is similar to your idea.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    another map for you guys im really happy with this one

Map Rating/Review Thread

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2014
    Can some one rate this map plz

Map Name: Route 820
    Map Game: Fire Red / Solarium

Map Rating/Review Thread

Credits:
    Kyledove - Tiles

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2009

Spoiler:

Credits:
    Kyledove - Tiles

8/10 really nice map, i like how you make the player go through grass and all of that, the tree placement is nice, all i can really say is add something in the middle it looks a bit empty.

another map for you guys im really happy with this one

Spoiler:

8.5/10 very nice map! the mountains look good, good tree placement, it gets a little empty at times. Maybe add some more grass, and some rocks.

good job.

****Also I have finally reached 15 posts, so I bring you my first map:

Spoiler:

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
    Years

Map Rating/Review Thread

Credits:
    Kyledove - Tiles

9/10 one of the best route maps I've ever seen.
    The grass, the trees everything is perfect.
    Except one thing, I find that lege a little weird sitting in front
    of the trees like that.

Spoiler:

7/10 A pretty good map, it feels a little
    too "non-playable" as you can't reach anything except for the
    houses, but othervise, a great map

And now for a map from me:

Map Name: Olivine City
    Map Game: Firered BPRE

Map Rating/Review Thread

//44tim44

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    8/10 really nice map, i like how you make the player go through grass and all of that, the tree placement is nice, all i can really say is add something in the middle it looks a bit empty.

8.5/10 very nice map! the mountains look good, good tree placement, it gets a little empty at times. Maybe add some more grass, and some rocks.

good job.

Spoiler:

A little thing thatis bugging me about this map is the house roof with the mountain tiles behind. If you look carfully (and I mean very) you can see that the mountain pattern behind the red roof doesn't match the one to the side. Hardly noticable, but I'm fussy.

Overall, its great, but unplayable, like stated before. 9/10.

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2014
    Guys i have another map for rating prepared :)

Map Name: Route 819
    Map Game: Firered / Solarium
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Guys i have another map for rating prepared :)

Map Name: Route 819
    Map Game: Firered / Solarium
    Map Rating/Review Thread
    Rating: 8/10
    Comments: Who says only advanced maps are well done? This rating also applies to the previous map you posted. They're both nice and simple, great shape, nearly flawless wild grass arrangements, and what is this!? Different grass!??! (not the wild grass) I never see this anymore! The only thing I don't like about this map is the abundance of flowers. These two maps have received the highest rating I've given since I became a harsher rater. Congratulations =D

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2014
    I know what you mean, well anyway i made another map:

Map Rating/Review Thread

Here i've marked some tile errors that you've made:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Oh and tell me why are you using the same grass(not wild one) all the time? You should really look at some Disturbed maps or My maps, to see how grass must be mapped. Anyway you map look okay to me. Fix those errors that i marked and it will be really good. 6/10

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2009
    Here i've marked some tile errors that you've made:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Oh and tell me why are you using the same grass(not wild one) all the time? You should really look at some Disturbed maps or My maps, to see how grass must be mapped. Anyway you map look okay to me. Fix those errors that i marked and it will be really good. 6/10

wow nice catch on the mountain, you mean why dont i use all the different variations of the grass? i didnt really think it mattered.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    I've decided to post this forest because I doubt I'll use it for Distant, due to it's amazing difficulty. Ah well ><
    Here is the biggest map I ever posted on this thread. Don't judge by it's huge amount of unplayability. It's meant to be nearly impossible. :D
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back