• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Map Name: N/A

Map Game: Pokémon Fire Red BPRE

Comments: I've had quite a number of requests to post another map. It's been a while since I've posted a map here. Enjoy :)

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    its got a nice shape but its too square at the top,its also got good grass placement and water + mountain shape which makes it very and i mean very natrual.

i give this awsome map a woooping 10/10 !
    well done.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019

Comments: I've had quite a number of requests to post another map. It's been a while since I've posted a map here. Enjoy :)

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Rating
    Spoiler:

Reason: Some tree shading off with the block edits you made... there are numerous tile errors throughout the map, and the cliffs overlapping is done poorly. One final thing, part of the river looks odd ;D

Neti

Inactive
    Years
    You all know that I usually dont rate maps. The reason for that is exactly that.
    That might sound confusing xD ill explain it in short words: if i would rate a map there would be no comparable value.
    you can not compare two maps ratings that were made by different persons most often.
    you can only sum up all ratings and compare those, or you compare the ratings of a specific person that rated both maps.
    Thats the reason why I didn't use to rate maps

But from now on I will do so (again).
    I will follow my own standartized rating system that i made.
    All my ratings will follow it, i will place a link to it in my signature.
    Feel free to use and refer to it.

Still, I will not rate all maps, so dont bug me.
    I will also give comments so you know what to improve (thats the sense of this thread in general).

Some people might disagree with the balance that I chose.
    But this is mainly made for me rating maps, so it represents my ideas of what a good map should be like.
    If you disagree, dont use my rating system and dont tell me, im not interested.

The Word "Natural Sense" might confuse some people. It means:
    Are the trees/bushes/rocks/paths placed like they would be in reality, in a real town/place?

So here it is, Neti' s Standard Rating System:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    You all know that I usually dont rate maps. The reason for that is exactly that.
    That might sound confusing xD ill explain it in short words: if i would rate a map there would be no comparable value.
    you can not compare two maps ratings that were made by different persons most often.
    you can only sum up all ratings and compare those, or you compare the ratings of a specific person that rated both maps.
    Thats the reason why I didn't use to rate maps

But from now on I will do so (again).
    I will follow my own standartized rating system that i made.
    All my ratings will follow it, i will place a link to it in my signature.
    Feel free to use and refer to it.

Still, I will not rate all maps, so dont bug me.
    I will also give comments so you know what to improve (thats the sense of this thread in general).

Some people might disagree with the balance that I chose.
    But this is mainly made for me rating maps, so it represents my ideas of what a good map should be like.
    If you disagree, dont use my rating system and dont tell me, im not interested.

The Word "Natural Sense" might confuse some people. It means:
    Are the trees/bushes/rocks/paths placed like they would be in reality, in a real town/place?

So here it is, Neti' s Standard Rating System:

I will do the rating for haefeles map soon, but i dont want to put it into this post cause i will link to this post in my signature.
    This seems very well made. Personally, I am perfectly fine with the way I currently rate maps, but I would highly recommend this to people who are new to mapping and rating maps. This can also come in handy as a reference as to what to make sure you include in the maps you create. Very well done and thoughtful, Neti.

Neti

Inactive
    Years
    So I can rate colcolstyles' Map now without double posting :p

Spoiler:

Comments:
    That map is sooo very much my type^^
    But lets see where i deducted some points...

Natural Sense: I think that there are too many stairs and most of them are too wide, that doesnt fit with the rest of the route

Map Structure: The Layout itsself is brilliant BUT some sissys will be annoyed by having to walk down right down right down right instead of down down down right right right... I personally dont see that as a problem in maps, but i heard from some people that they hate that

I also noticed two extremely small tile errors (theyre so small, i still gave you 100% there)
    At some of the brown patches that are in edges you have an edge of normal grass on it, i noticed two of them
    that might be wanted, but im not sure ;-)

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2010
    Map Name: Town1(Undecided name)

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments:Starting town, trying to make it seem villagy and unmodern.

Neti

Inactive
    Years
    Rating of Semblance's Map

Spoiler:

Comments:
    This map fairly isnt very special.
    BUT you seem to have the skills, you just have to train them.
    What can you improve?

Overall look: Hmm when it pops up the first time it looks ok, colorful (mainly vecause of the path and the lake) but already a second later it appears boring to me. Try to make it less plain.

Idea: Well, a calm starting town. Thats what most people choose, I think its OK but its nothing special. Also you could have made more thoughts about the layout before starting to map.

No straight lines: Thats what probably cut off most of your points: The lake, the path, the little (useless) mountain and the upper border are VERY straight. You should spend more time on that. believe me, it looks way betetr if you do ;-)

Variety of tiles: You used bushes, flowers, rocks, different trees, different houses... Well theres not much you can dow wrong at this point with the standard tileset.
    The one point that is missing is reserved for the use of new tiles (like the bridges in colcolstyles map) or special tiles (like waterfalls etc).

Natural sense: Well, the bottom of the map seems alright and so does the path (besides the fact that it is so long and leaves the town). But the lake/pond and the upper border are not natural.

Map Structure: The whole map is just like one string... no mountains, no things that block the heros way... its possible to cross the map with only one button at all!

edit: my good friend colcolstyles found some tile errors on your map:
    at the evry botto mright of the lake theres a mysterious shadow...
    and you used wrong tiles at the small trees at the bottom, compare them with the ones at the top
    it wont affect your rating (average), so im not gonna edit the image

Last edited:

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    heres a map i made a few months ago

Spoiler:

Neti

Inactive
    Years
    heres a map i made a few months ago

Spoiler:

Gigantic! If you post a link to the normal-size image i might rate it ;-)
    its unrateable in this version

Rating of haefele's map:

Spoiler:

Comments:
    Nvm, I like it!
    Ill point out the parts where you lost points:

Overall look: I dont really have a reason for this 0,5 points... Its beautiful but theres something missing when looking at the overview... I cant say what, sry

Natural Sense: You have a heavy mistake here: Where does thee water go that comes down the waterfall? It ends in the little pond in the people drink it or what?
    Also the waterfall tiles are not meant to be used in that way, look up an original map with a waterfall.

No Border Error: It doesnt look like theres a map connecting at the left, so: there will be errors with the mountain near the house at the bottom left.

No Tile Errors: I didnt deduct points here cause theyre such minor ones.
    You know them already, I told you via msn^^

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Gigantic! If you post a link to the normal-size image i might rate it ;-)
    its unrateable in this version

Rating of haefele's map:

Spoiler:

Comments:
    Nvm, I like it!
    Ill point out the parts where you lost points:

Overall look: I dont really have a reason for this 0,5 points... Its beautiful but theres something missing when looking at the overview... I cant say what, sry

Natural Sense: You have a heavy mistake here: Where does thee water go that comes down the waterfall? It ends in the little pond in the people drink it or what?
    Also the waterfall tiles are not meant to be used in that way, look up an original map with a waterfall.

No Border Error: It doesnt look like theres a map connecting at the left, so: there will be errors with the mountain near the house at the bottom left.

No Tile Errors: I didnt deduct points here cause theyre such minor ones.
    You know them already, I told you via msn^^

ok neti will do here you go

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m225/bitrzo/6copy.gif?t=1230248849

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    its still zoomed
    upload the full image that is exported from advance map so i can see the details

i will not rate any more maps today (or should i say before i go to bed?), its 1:20am in germany so im going to sleep now

well that sucks i dont have the origional anymore its on my ol computer

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Wooooow! I just had to post, when I saw this!
    I love it so much, I wish I could make something like that! Man, you were born to map!

Rating 10/10 sorry for harsh rating XD

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    M'kay, I've worked pretty hard on this one. I'd like it if I could get a few honest comments here.. ^^

Map Name: Route 701
    Map Game: Fire Red
    Comments: There's no grass whatsoever because as the player is going through this map, he doesn't have any Pokémon.
    Mapshot: Located here

Quoted myself from the previous page. Reviews would be helpful. ^^

Especially since no one seems to want to review me :P

Neti

Inactive
    Years
    Rating of Vrai's Map:

Spoiler:

Comments:
    I like this map. The new tiles work very well with the palettes you chose and the fit to each other.
    Now, lets see what I disliked.

No straight lines: You were very good at this point in total, but the mountains appeared a bit straight at most parts. Theyre good nevertheless, but you can make them look even more natural by rounding them more.

Variety of tiles: Theres too much space on the mountain in my opinion. You should have added another level up there that cant be reached by the player.

Natural Sense: The only cutoff here is that the trees that form the border are placed in horizontal AND vertical rows. With the block editor you can make new tiles so you can place them diagonal.

No Tile Errors: Check this:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Rating of TehTehTehTeh's Map:

Spoiler:

Comments:
    As the rating says: Its good, but nothing special in my eyes.
    This si what I think could have been done better:

Overall look: I think the DP Palettes cut off some points here, I dont liek them very much. ALso the dark path doesnt look very nice.

Idea: You definitely made some thoughts about what the map should look like before starting to map, but it doesnt really have something special that makes the palyer remember it.

No straight lines: I reduced your rating only by a half point here.
    Its just like in the rating I did before: The mountains could have been a bit more rounded.

Variety of tiles: You inserted new tiles, good ones in my opinion and theyre inserted correctly. That mainly save this point for you, because you have only 1 type of trees on the whole map. also there are only 2 bushes and no rocks at all (except for the mountain). You actually can be happy that I gave you 2 points here.

Natural Sense: I can onyl repeat what I already said in the previous rating: The Trees that make the border are in horizontal and vertical rows. Try to make some tiles in the block editor that allow you to place them diagonal.

Map Structure: Its not boring, it is also easy to play. But you destroy the triangle layout by letting the player pass the little mountain at the right side of it. Block the heros path there.

пзо

zzirRusty
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2010
    IS there a reason?

Thank you neti for the feedback, I have updated my map.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Rating: 7.9/10
    Comments:
    Is there a Reason this map dont have flowers?
    It also seems awfully empty. but the use of tiles is good. and I cant see no errors.
    ------------
    Posting my map here!

Map Name:
    Marmoria Town - Pending
    Base Rom:
    Fire Red
    Comments:
    This map may be in my hack, Pokemon, Obsidian.
    And Guess what! Its the last town in the Alpha!
    Any Tile Error, please Post, as i wanna fix them.

Also, the orange building is:
    A PC
    And upstairs.. a LAB!

And that little stand is a Mart.

My Tree Placement is legendary!
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Well, I tried to fix my map according to the review Neti gave me. ^^

Comments: Just so you know, there aren't any border errors in-game. I checked, and it's impossible to reach the border in any direction (It's one square off on the top part of the mountain :D)
    Map Game: FireRed
    Map Shot:
    Spoiler:

Thanks to whoever rates this. :D

Edit: Actually, I'll give a cookie to whoever rates this. :D

Last edited:

Cheesymitten

Dukcs
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2015
    Well, I tried to fix my map according to the review Neti gave me. ^^

Comments: Just so you know, there aren't any border errors in-game. I checked, and it's impossible to reach the border in any direction (It's one square off on the top part of the mountain :D)
    Map Game: FireRed
    Map Shot:
    Spoiler:

Thanks to whoever rates this. :D
    Rating 9/10
    Comments-I like the colour of the bridge the tiles are interesting as well :) keep it up

Rating: 7.9/10
    Comments:
    Is there a Reason this map dont have flowers?
    It also seems awfully empty. but the use of tiles is good. and I cant see no errors.
    ------------
    Posting my map here!

Map Name:
    Marmoria Town - Pending
    Base Rom:
    Fire Red
    Comments:
    This map may be in my hack, Pokemon, Obsidian.
    And Guess what! Its the last town in the Alpha!
    Any Tile Error, please Post, as i wanna fix them.

Also, the orange building is:
    A PC
    And upstairs.. a LAB!

And that little stand is a Mart.

My Tree Placement is legendary!
    Map Rating/Review Thread
    Well :/ it's not square.............I LIKE IT! its awesome that tree with the pointy bits is great i cant see any errors....

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back