• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    Noticed more action in this thread; Looking for some actual thoughts on the maps.

Unlike Vrai, I actually don't like the one-way path to the house, because it's forced by a ledge. And I do like the way the two ledges across the path look. On the other hand...if you think about it, there really shouldn't be any ledges on a path at all, since a path has to be two-way to get beaten down. But I really doubt anyone will give it that much thought. I like the tall grass on either side of the path. It's a good way to fill up space while giving the player a chance to avoid stupid random encounters. The tiny little path underneath the lake is kind of odd.

All your maps are pretty solid. The sparse forest and tall grass on the mountain don't bug me too much. You fill up that area pretty well, so there's no chance of the player seeing paths between the trees.

My favourite is Prometheus Cave. Waterfalls and a lake in a cave? Yes please! I love that you use the waterfall to create a one-way path. One thing caught my eye - the puddles of water also use the animated running water tile, which is odd because there's no running water there.

The last map is quite boring compared to your other maps. There's nothing that makes it stand out except for the tiny beach, and it just doesn't seem to work, especially with the large rocks right on the sand like that.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME HOW I'M SUPPOSED TO READ A SIGN THAT'S FACING A TREE

Can't signs be read from any direction? I know it doesn't make sense, but still.

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    I fix my map now
    Name Hiun villa
    Credit to: WeslyFg,Zeikaro from DevianArt,and 875421
    Map Rating/Review Thread
    This map reminds me a lot of Sienna's starting town. :/
    This.
    Also, even thought the player won't be seeing it, but more variation on the stones in the water, don't just use one kind. They're supposed to be criss crossed by the way.

Fujitsu

Now with leather seats!
    Years
    Ah, I see. I just like to have consistency in my maps. I don't think it would look very good if the "puddles of water" used the still water tiles while the water with the waterfalls used the animated water tiles. Originally, I did have it as all still water tiles, but that doesn't exactly work with waterfalls.

locoroco

Ginga Densetsu Weed ANIME PWNS
    Years
    My map
    Lake verity recreation
    fire red

Map Rating/Review Thread

ummm i couldnt find the edges of the water so i came out kinda wrong i would like you to rate it in accuracy and the creativity and also tell me what could be bettered

tjwilliams24

Gone.
    Years
    Alright so here is the first map I've ever made. Please give me all the criticism you can.

(Note: In the back near the lab, I didn't know what to do so I just kept it like that.)

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
    Alright so here is the first map I've ever made. Please give me all the criticism you can.

(Note: In the back near the lab, I didn't know what to do so I just kept it like that.)

use block editor for that :)
    Well the first thing I see when I look at this is tile errors, with the lab and the back of the mountain, and the corners on your path, but it's better than my first map

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
    well you haven't joined up parts of the fence, the pond edges haven't been added, the mountain goes from rocky to grass, the corners of paths are missing,, and if the player walked on to that ledge at the side of the water they would jump into the water, the sides of the bridge are missing, and there is a black line on the houses.
    i think there are more i just can't see right now...

.Awesome

Awesome.
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 11, 2010

It's not that bad for a first map. Use block editor for the back of the house/lab. I'd say, 5/10. Because it's your first map. =p The gate is a little messed up and you forgot to put a corner in the grass path.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    What do you mean by that?

There are some pools of water in the cave that aren't connected to the waterfalls, but they use the animated water tiles. Why would the water surface be rippling if the pools don't contain running water?

I agree that it would look funny if your cave had both kinds of water. Could you connect the pools to the waterfall somehow? Or add a tile that makes it look like water is coming out of a rock? FR has those in Mount Moon.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
    My map
    Lake verity recreation
    fire red

Map Rating/Review Thread

ummm i couldnt find the edges of the water so i came out kinda wrong plz rate it

Okay, I will rate on three factors: Playability(How fun is it?), Aesthitics (Is it pretty?), and Organization ( Formation, tile errors, etc.)
    Playability: 5/10; It's below average, nothing special at all in it. Points of interest would be the wild grass, and nothing the player would gain for exploring the upper regions of the map and the lake/cave. Small areas are a no-no also, such as one tile wide pathways.
    Aesthitics: 3/10; It's an ugly map :/, No other way to put it xD Even though this isn't the pallete rating thread, it is still a map, and it needs to look better to appeal to me. A pile of poo poo, arranged like a flower, is still a pile of poo poo ;D
    Organization:6/10-2=4/10 for tile errors (1 for tree tile errors, 1 for the missing water block);That water block is essential, and all bases have it, so you just didn't look hard enough. Also, your missing the sides of the large trees >_<
    Overall: 4/10; A mediocre map.

Despite this bad rate, keep trying ;D. Everybody has some ingenuity. Try better tilesets, though, please xD Also, remmebr to give credits to the maker of the base ;)

Now, I got a map ^^.
    Hack of: Fire Red
    Hack: Pokemon Fey (no idea -___-)
    Name: Raven Valley (East)
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: Yesh, FR/LG R/S/E Combo FTW ;D I made this before the starter town >_<, so no background story this time xP
    Credits: Nintendo and Fangking Omega

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
    name: I don't know yet
    game: Fire red
    Comments: just something I did when I was bored
    credits: gamefreak for making firered, LU-HO for a-map and me for making the map
    Spoiler:

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    name: I don't know yet
    game: Fire red
    Comments: just something I did when I was bored
    credits: gamefreak for making firered, LU-HO for a-map and me for making the map
    Spoiler:

Right, errrm.

"Square" is the first thing that comes to mind, trees around the outside is a perfect rectangle, those lake-things are also very square and boring. Your paths are odd, the S-Shaping isn't the best idea, and it doesn't even reach the door of that blue house. The other one is just too boring and seems a bit pointless. Stairways should also be 2 tiles not just the one.

The path in is the worst bit I think. SINGLE tile green path through water? It looks terrible, if it was a double tile path it might look better but it is still pushing it... it needs a lot of widening up.

Then there's the rocks which are normally in the ocean or block the path but they do neither : S.

Overall I'm struggling for a positive point...

2/10

Now, I got a map ^^.
    Hack of: Fire Red
    Hack: Pokemon Fey (no idea -___-)
    Name: Raven Valley (East)
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: Yesh, FR/LG R/S/E Combo FTW ;D I made this before the starter town >_<, so no background story this time xP
    Credits: Nintendo and Fangking Omega

Wow, I love this map and the tiles you've used.

First off I'll point out the errors I've spotted, which is where the dirt meets the mountain (on that ledge bottom right) where the tiles have no top like a grass-mountain tail does.

Although the mixing of tiles looks pretty good for the most part there are a few bits that look a bit off. For example having both grassy-path tiles is a bit weird, and I think for consistancy it would look better with just one type. Also the trees don't quite go together... its kind of tropical mixing with woodland tree and looks a bit wrong.

The mountain shapes are great, though I'd get rid of the fence on it unless the rock behind the fence has a specific reason for being cut off.

8/10

Years
    Map Rating/Review Thread

....Yeah. Sorry 'bout the .jpg guys. Anyway...
    Name: Stardust City
    Hack: Fury of Shadows
    Comments:

The second town/city in my game. The opening at the bottom leads to Stardust Beach, while the stairs leads to Mt. Stardust and Breaker Cave. (See the reference?) The gym uses Ground and Water Pokemon. There's no grass so... Yeah.
    Reposting since it was on the last page!

ListenT

Black kitteh
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2012

Reposting since it was on the last page!

This map looks amazing in first look! I hate that only gym have grass around it. You should make other buildings have grass too or just remove it. The second thing I don't like is that the lava and water kinda doesn't match. If there's water around it, then there's water in the bottom of it. From the house at the corner to the mart that zig-zagy sand looks fake like road from gym to the pokemon center too. Here's my rating: 7.2/10

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
    Right, errrm.

"Square" is the first thing that comes to mind, trees around the outside is a perfect rectangle, those lake-things are also very square and boring. Your paths are odd, the S-Shaping isn't the best idea, and it doesn't even reach the door of that blue house. The other one is just too boring and seems a bit pointless. Stairways should also be 2 tiles not just the one.

The path in is the worst bit I think. SINGLE tile green path through water? It looks terrible, if it was a double tile path it might look better but it is still pushing it... it needs a lot of widening up.

Then there's the rocks which are normally in the ocean or block the path but they do neither : S.

Overall I'm struggling for a positive point...

2/10
    No need to be rude. :t354:

edited it
    Map Rating/Review Thread

No need to be rude.

edited it
    Spoiler:

Your tree shadows are all wrong, and the blue house has no windows (and the tileset does provide windows for it, top-right most portion of tileset 0). It's still too right-angly, try to make more interesting curves in your mountains and lake. There's a lot of wasted space over on the bottom left corner under the mountain. Fill it in or put something there. The space between the houses in the middle of the ridge they're sitting on is also a bit too empty. Fill it in with some foliage or something interesting. In my opinion, you're overdoing the flowers, but it's in a way that's at least acceptable, so I'll concede that. Signs in the middle of the road are generally not a good idea. Your stairs are only 1 tile wide. I'd expand it to two tiles. Take a look at some R/S/E maps for some more inspiration and methods to keep your map from looking soo... well, Nintendo-Firered-y.

4/10, but it is an improvement from your last one. Keep at it.

----

I have a map of my own. It's supposed to be an incredibly small town near the ocean. Admittedly, it is kind of cramped, but I decided to put some of the buildings on the route directly outside the town to give it a unique flavor and because one of the buildings was a large farm (and its land) that I decided didn't belong in the town itself. And there's no mart anywhere near this town, just a Berry Shop on the outskirts. In game, it doesn't seem as cramped because of what's right next to it on the adjacent route.

Name: Fragrant Town
    Base: Firered (With some R/S/E tiles imported, and custom tiles by yours truly.)

Map Rating/Review Thread

^I'm certainly happy with it, but I know it's not my best.

Considering changing the house color to a more pinkish color, or maybe a peach? Not sure. I do like the default Viridian green as it is though. Comments?

EDIT: Scratch the pink. Anything that fits with the town that isn't an orange, pink, white, or another type of green. Peach should still be different enough from orange though, right? I'd like some suggestions please. Maybe a blue? To bring the blue from the ocean in and balance out the map? ...This frustration is what I get for taking an art class... :P

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back