• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyp159

Master of Fire!
Years
  • I'll repost cause i got skipped again. So here is my map.

OK, it's a bit bare. I can see where you are going, but the map seems too big for my liking - too spread out. I am also unsure about the tree placement, something that I always struggle with when mapping myself, and something that you have taken a very different approach to. I like the shape of the map, and how the buildings are arranged, along with the mountains to either side. My one bug bear though, is the flower placement. There are far, far, far too many flowers. Cut them down, and try to avoid placing large clumps. I like placing them diagonally across each other.
    Overall, a nice map, 6/10

OK, now for my map:

Spoiler:

Map Name: Un-named
    Map Game: Emerald.
    Comments: I had some spare time earlier, so I made this. I have no plans as of yet to incorporate it into a hack or anything. Mostly, it was a practice of my mapping skills, and the first map I have completed on my own.
    Please Rate honestly. Thanks in advance.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • My map.......

Tiles-Mew's D/p firered.
    Name-Outcrop Path

Spoiler:

OK, it's a bit bare. I can see where you are going, but the map seems too big for my liking - too spread out. I am also unsure about the tree placement, something that I always struggle with when mapping myself, and something that you have taken a very different approach to. I like the shape of the map, and how the buildings are arranged, along with the mountains to either side. My one bug bear though, is the flower placement. There are far, far, far too many flowers. Cut them down, and try to avoid placing large clumps. I like placing them diagonally across each other.
    Overall, a nice map, 6/10

OK, now for my map:

Spoiler:

Comments: I had some spare time earlier, so I made this. I have no plans as of yet to incorporate it into a hack or anything. Mostly, it was a practice of my mapping skills, and the first map I have completed on my own.

i like the layout and the tiles, but theres only one thing tat bugs me, the trees. The big ones seem too square and sparsely places. and for me theres too many small ones.

6.5/10

Last edited:
    Years
  • game base: Pokémon: New Life!
    comments: Don't mind the borders :)
    credits: Look in the New Life thread (link in siggie)
    map name: Route ?
    mapshot:
    Spoiler:

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • game base: Pokémon: New Life!
    mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    brilliant map as always! I like the shape of everything. The tiles look great from the ferns to the buildings. the only things that bother me are the placement of the wild grass, the the flowers. the wild grass shouldn't be in the tree-area(the areas that are sorounded by trees, so that you can't get there), and there are simply too may flowers(you might want to consut sasquachd00d on that). other than those two things, everything looks perfect!. 8.5/10

andyp159

Master of Fire!
    Years
  • My map.......

Tiles-Mew's D/p firered.
    Name-Outcrop Path

Spoiler:

OK, firstly, I like the tiles. They really give the map the feel that you would want. However, I am unsure on the mountainous area, and the sign outside the house. I am not sure if the blue stairways look right on the mountain. Also, there seems to be a lot of mountain around. Maybe too much, I'm not 100% sure. Also, there are some tile map errors that I have circled for you:
    Spoiler:

Also, what are the lines on the mountain top all about?
    Overall, a nice map. Fix the tile errors and consider adding something to break up the mountainous area. 7/10.

Here is ny home town remade.

Spoiler:

Just out of interest, what did you actually change on this map? All I can notice different is the flower placement on the right hand side. The main area of flowers was the large patch at the top, of just blocky flowers.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • OK, firstly, I like the tiles. They really give the map the feel that you would want. However, I am unsure on the mountainous area, and the sign outside the house. I am not sure if the blue stairways look right on the mountain. Also, there seems to be a lot of mountain around. Maybe too much, I'm not 100% sure. Also, there are some tile map errors that I have circled for you:
    Spoiler:

Also, what are the lines on the mountain top all about?
    Overall, a nice map. Fix the tile errors and consider adding something to break up the mountainous area. 7/10.

Just out of interest, what did you actually change on this map? All I can notice different is the flower placement on the right hand side. The main area of flowers was the large patch at the top, of just blocky flowers.

yes, referring to my big overworld map further up the page, this map joins onto the lower section of it. And is supposed to be a mountain, with the house being a pseudo-pokemon center.

anyways, i never even noticed those tile errors on the mountains lol

And referring to the stairs, those tiles are all i have besides the standard Fr tiles, which the majority find boring and crap.

If anyone would care to share a rombase or different tiles for me then id be very happy to accept, because sadly i have no idea how to change tiles, even with the various tuts on this site.

Years
  • Ok I have to so I'll link to them both.
    Name: Ship's Path (Link) and Terra City (Link)
    Game: Both FireRed
    Comments:I think Terra could use a lot of work, but I think I did decent on Ship's Path considering both of them being my first maps.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Ok I have to so I'll link to them both.
    Name: Ship's Path (Link) and Terra City (Link)
    Game: Both FireRed
    Comments:I think Terra could use a lot of work, but I think I did decent on Ship's Path considering both of them being my first maps.

Ship's Path...
    COMMENT: It's too empty... Arrangement of the trees are too square and not very exciting. The bushes are placed too randomly and are too many of them.
    RATING: 2/10
    SUGGESTION: Try looking at mapping tutorials in the Documents and Tutorials section...

Terra City...
    COMMENT: It's a boring map. It's too empty...
    RATING: 1/10
    SUGGESTION: Try looking at some mapping tutorials in the Documents and Tutorials section...

Here is ny home town remade.

Spoiler:

COMMENT: The houses' placements are okay but the trees are a bit annoying to look at. There are tile/block errors on the right side of your map, specifically, the thin trees. The grass are a bit annoying to look at as well as the flowers, plus your map has a lot of emptiness in it...
    RATING: 2/10
    SUGGESTION: Try to look at some mapping tutorials in the Documents and Tutorials section...

game base: Pokémon: New Life!
    mapshot:
    Spoiler:

COMMENT: It's a nice map, although I don't understand what those white pillars are for...
    RATING: 8/10
    SUGGESTION: Nothing to suggest, I guess...

OK, now for my map:

Spoiler:

COMMENT: It's a bit empty... It's not a very exciting map whatsoever...Tree placements are a bit square though...
    RATING: 5/10
    SUGGESTION: Make it more exciting? If it's a tow, then increase the map size and add some no-door houses, I guess...

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Map Name: None
    Game: Emerald
    Comments: I just posted this in the Map of the Month thread and decided to get some reviews at the same time. I know some people don't like this natural style of mapping. If you're one of them, then don't even bother reviewing unless you're going to give some real advice.

Years
  • QuilavaKing's map
    COMMENT: That's a very well done map. Very beautiful to look at. Looks like it could be in a real game.
    Also looks like an important area
    RATING: 10/10
    SUGGESTION: It's perfect just they way it is

justinufer

Learner
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2013
    Here is route 1 for my hack. While rating please ignore the bottom two corner tile errors on the left mountain and the ledge edge that has the tree over it that's at the bottom at the map and the colour of the mountain thing on the right side I just did it quick I'll be doing the tiles later on in the game when I have decided what they will look like.

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
    Years
  • Here is route 1 for my hack. While rating please ignore the bottom two corner tile errors on the left mountain and the ledge edge that has the tree over it that's at the bottom at the map and the colour of the mountain thing on the right side I just did it quick I'll be doing the tiles later on in the game when I have decided what they will look like.
    hmm,i will give you a 3/10,as like you said there are errors,you should have fix it before posting and i don't like how the tress were placed..The trees is also litte in numbers..try adding more so that the map will not look empty..hmm,the mountailn is unatural,its too linear imo that is..The fowers was placed badly too,they must not be in a row with so many flowers at once

andyp159

Master of Fire!
    Years
  • Here is route 1 for my hack. While rating please ignore the bottom two corner tile errors on the left mountain and the ledge edge that has the tree over it that's at the bottom at the map and the colour of the mountain thing on the right side I just did it quick I'll be doing the tiles later on in the game when I have decided what they will look like.

OK, I like the overall layout of the map. However, the map itself has some odd features. Namely, the use of the jump hedges. Namely, in areas with a jump hedge, it has to (in my opinion) go all the way across the area. Otherwise it looks a bit stupid. In other words, you are jumping down, but are still on the same level. Does that make any sense? Flower placement could also be improved. Try placing them diagonally from each other. It looks more natural. Tree placement is good, I especially like how you have used a combination of large and small trees, without overusing either of them. However, the steps going sideways are incorrect. I am not sure if there is a tile for them, but if not you may have to tileset modify them somehow.
    I have circled the areas of my concern:
    Spoiler:

Overall, a nice map, 6.5/10

Suggestions: Adjust the jump hedges as described above, work on flower placement and clear up the tilemap.

Game Base: Fire Red
    Comment: I didn't expect it to be so big :O
    Credits: MASTEROFPUPPET's ROM base
    Map Name: Route 69
    Mapshot in spoiler

Spoiler:

Wow. I love this map. It is really pleasing to the eye. Considering you have mapped such a large are here, none is what I could describe as boring. There are some things that I would like to pick up on. As described above, flowers look best when diagonally placed, but in adjacent squares, if that makes any sense. Also, I would avoid putting them in wild grass. It just looks weird. Also, make the whole path link up. The small lonesome section next to the house looks out of place.
    Overall, an excellent map. 9/10
    Suggestions: Adjust the flower placement. Also, do NOT listen to any-one saying "your path is too straight". They are MANMADE and thus are meant to be straight. The tree and path placement on this map is fine. Just make it link up to that single bit somehow.

Last edited:

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • ok hai me again, i got a route from the summit of my mountain.

tiles-Neti's frozen rombase
    name-cardinal Summit
    comments-its hard to travel up there :P

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2010
    Map Name: Shore-side recreation
    Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: My first go at mapping/general pokemon modding. Yes the building with the purple frame is built into the rocks, it's roof is level with the top. Wanted to see what I could do with the default tiles in the game.

Mapshot:see attachment

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • wow big improvement since the last map but I see some flaws
    1)waterfall - thats not the way you make waterfals look at how nintendo makes waterfals
    theres a lot of grass in one areah (to the right)

here are the pros
    awsome tree placement
    natrual montanis
    for the most part great grass placement
    very nice 8.5/10

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back