• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
Years
  • Map Name: Springleaf Village
    ROM Hack: Pokémon Auburn
    Credits: Alucus, Kymotonian, Pokemon-Diamond, TheDeadHeroAlistair, and WesleyFG for tiles. A few are modified by →goon.
    Comments: →goon and I will be working together on our hack Pokémon Auburn, so this is a little something I thought I'd post to show some progress other than the title screen in his signature. The pokéballs were added through paint, but everything else is inserted. :)

Spoiler:

thelaytonmobile

Beginning Reading Your Message
    Years
    Credits: Alucus, Kymotonian, Pokemon-Diamond, TheDeadHeroAlistair, and WesleyFG for tiles. A few are modified by →goon.
    Comments: →goon and I will be working together on our hack Pokémon Auburn, so this is a little something I thought I'd post to show some progress other than the title screen in his signature. The pokéballs were added through paint, but everything else is inserted. :)

Spoiler:
    I may not know much about maps but I think that's excellent! It looks natural, but seems perfectly playable. I like the way that you can come back and find more later in the game. I know this isn't a tile comment thread, but all those tiles fit together perfectly.
    10/10?
    Good luck on the hack also.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2013
    Name: Route 3
    ROM Base: Fire Red
    Comments: This route is initially inaccessible because of a "mudslide", but after you complete a certain task, it is deemed "safe" to pass through it.
    Spoiler:

Name: Sternburg Cavern (floor 1)
    Comments: It is the first cave/tunnel encountered. The player originally enters from the top-left ladder and exits from the top-right ladder. The water is foreshadowing the Flune River which runs underneath this cavern. Note that there is also a "strength" boulder which block the player from simply turning north and exiting.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years

Spoiler:

As usual, absolutely be-utifal. Everything fits together and it looks awesome.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years

Spoiler:

I could go on for days but I will instead simply point out that I'm not too fond of the disappearing mountains. It looks somewhat plausible up by (what I assume to be) the Professor's house but south of the pond, it feels strange. Possible but strange.

Best of luck to you and →goon. It's going to be exciting to watch two of the finer mappers in this community collaborating on a single project. I'm looking forward to more maps. Best wishes.

P.S. Welcome back! :)

Benzee

I got your number, on the wall
    Years
  • Map Name: Algama Town
    ROM Hack: Pokemon Red Dawn
    Credits: N/A
    Comments: Just a starter town. Not really meant to be an extraordinary map. Was going for a "simple" feel.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
  • Map Name: MountGuard Town
    ROM Hack: Pokemon Galactic Platinum
    Credits: Kyledove, Alucus, Wesley FG
    Comments: The New and Improved (I hope) starting town.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Map Name: MountGuard Town
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Comments: Okay so, I'll start from the top and work my way down.
    The path of the north connection of this map is too narrow, while it's kinda squarish; that doesn't leave player much place to move.
    Next, I have to admit I'm not too fond of the ground walls disappearing like that, it's just not normal. I think it only fits when you're using tree tiles with 4 tile width.
    In my opinion, that crater pointless, since it has nothing in it. (Thus the blue-coloured spray)
    I find the way to the north connection of the village narrow too, and the the little trees next on the east house symmetric. The path in front of that house is too wide; the path of the south connection of the map is kind of symmetric too. The ground wall is also squarish.

Suggestions: You should practice more in the tree placement, or maybe look at other maps? Beware of the squariness. If you don't know what to do with the ground walls, don't make them straight lines. Anyway, this map desperately needs decoration tiles. You know, like flowers. I usually put them to fill in the empty space, and to decorate something. (That's why I call them "decoration tiles".)

Rating: 7/10

P.S: Beware of the tile choises.

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    Map Name: Uh.. Super Humid Forest?
    ROM Hack: ---
    Credits: ---
    Comments: I tried something new : D
    Please keep in mind that the player will not be seeing the entire map at the same time.
    Spoiler:

Benzee

Years
  • Map Name: Uh.. Super Humid Forest?
    Please keep in mind that the player will not be seeing the entire map at the same time.
    Spoiler:

I actually like this map. It's not square, the grass and flower placement is good, and the pond shapes are good too. Only thing is I don't see the point of having a sign in the middle of the patch of grass. I also wouldn't call this a forest either, it's too small to be one. This would make a very good route though. I'll give it a 9/10, because I'm not a pro map rater, and I'll probably look stupid if I give you anything higher. Nice job.

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    Name: Pseudobridge(means fake bridge[name has a reason])
    Base:firered
    Comments:
    This map took 2 days and I'm still not happy with it, tell me anything I need to improve on. Also, the boundry block is dark water, so when you see opening in the dark water it is still not passable because the border block
    Spoiler:
    Bumpidi Bump Bump
    Never got rated :(

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
  • I decided to remap a few more of the towns of my hack and I improved the one I posted earlier.

Map Name: Guardian Village
    Spoiler:

Map Name: Shenta Bay
    Comments: The Beach or 'Bay' that resides beneath Guardian Village.
    Spoiler:

Map Name: Pendle Hill
    Comments: The Hill that resides above Guardian Village.
    Spoiler:

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • I decided to remap a few more of the towns of my hack and I improved the one I posted earlier.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

1st map. Okay, 7/10. The problem with this is the stairs are only one tile wid, which ruins the playability because the player is forced down one tile. I'm not also a fan of that ditch with the tree in it because that area's inacessable and seems rather pointless being there, unless there's a way down. Finally, I don't like how the mountain goes into the trees as there is no tree overlapping the mountain tile, so it seems rather bad.

2nd map. 7/10 - again the one tile stair ruins the playability. Laso, your flower placement isn't very nice as they're all crammed into two spots, which looks rather unnatural and doesn't look nice.

3rd map. 7/10 - Again, the one tile stair ruins the playabliity. Also, the way you've done the top of the mountain is wrong and is one bug tile error. Also, I see another tile error where the mini tree doesn't have a ledge behind it, so it doesn't look right.

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021

Bumpidi Bump Bump
    Never got rated :(

Ok, it looks good, 8.5/10
    cause you've used the wrong tiles for the smaller trees in a line. Good shape however :)

Reposting again, I still am looking for a rating. :\ Please?

well....I have no Idea how to rate maps from those generation, so I'll say 7/10, cause the mini mountains are over used, and they have that brown surrounding, once again...I've no clue about these generation maps, so please don't take my rating too seriously.

I decided to remap a few more of the towns of my hack and I improved the one I posted earlier.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Pokepal pretty much summed it up, but I think the main fault would be that the mountain tiles randomly end in trees, which creates an illustion that they are just disappearing. I think if you hadn't made that mistak I would have given you a 9/10 in the first & third, not a big fan of the abnormal use of flowers in the third. Over all 8/10 for all three.

Benzee

Years
  • Map Name: Algama Town
    Comments: Think this map got overlooked. Well it's my starter town, was kind of going for a simple feel.

Spoiler:

Map Name: Route 1
    Comments: Just finished this, not revised yet. Any suggestions?
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    MAP NAME:
    Ice Valley

MAP GAME:
    Fire Red

COMMENTS:
    The very first map I ever made. Used it to try and enter a hacking group (dont remember which one anymore) but they didnt like it. Havnt mapped anything since that time (almost a year). Im trying to get back into it again now though.

I like it. You worked on the rock puzzles, I see. It took me a little bit to figure it out.

Spoiler:

With the squared area you need to add some bottom blocks. Also why would some lakes be frozen while others be normal?

I would give it a 8/10. Make that lake frozen and/or fix the squared area.

Map Name: Springleaf Village

Spoiler:

Everything looks perfect. The mapping is natural, the flowers aren't in a straight line, and the water looks natural.

I give it a 10/10.

Name: Route 3
    Comments: This route is initially inaccessible because of a "mudslide", but after you complete a certain task, it is deemed "safe" to pass through it.
    Spoiler:

Name: Sternburg Cavern (floor 1)
    Comments: It is the first cave/tunnel encountered. The player originally enters from the top-left ladder and exits from the top-right ladder. The water is foreshadowing the Flune River which runs underneath this cavern. Note that there is also a "strength" boulder which block the player from simply turning north and exiting.

Spoiler:

I'm sorry, but the route map is horrible. There is to much empty space, and the grass is to square. The bushes by the house are in a straight line. A tile error is on the Pokemon Center. The caves are straight and not natural looking. The gatehouse looks to tall and narrow. The grass isn't alternating. I could keep going on...

I give it a 2/10.

The cave is better, but there is to many rocks, the cliffs don't look natural, and the water is to square.

I give it a 4/10.

Name: hometown
    Comments:my first map may be used in a hack

Map Rating/Review Thread

The mountain looks weird just in the middle of the town... One house looks impossible to get to, and the flowers are in straight lines.

I give it a 5/10.

Map Name: Uh.. Super Humid Forest?
    Spoiler:

It's simple, but sometimes simple is a good thing. The only thing I don't like is the paths by the stairs.

I give it a 8/10.

Reposting again, I still am looking for a rating. :\ Please?

Looks to big. I would get lost in it. Make it smaller, and it will be better.

I give it a 5/10.

I decided to remap a few more of the towns of my hack and I improved the one I posted earlier.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Guardian Village is great, but I think that the stairs should be one tile longer.

I give Guardian Village a 9.5/10.

Shenta Bay is great too, but I think you should add some tall grass, and make the stairs closer to the water one tile longer, too.

I give Shenta Bay a 9/10.

Pendle Hill is good, but there should be some tall grass, and the stairs furthest the cave one tile longer.

I give Pendle Hill a 9/10.

All of your maps are great, Tactic. I wish I was that good.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Map name: N/A
    rom name: Fire red
    Map:
    Spoiler:

2/10. There are tiles errors and the mountain and pretty much every tree has tree shading errors. The same type of small grass tile is being used over and over again and the grass placement is all wrong. Your flower placement is okay, but you also have stairs which are one tile wide, making it an even bigger turnoff.

Comments: Try and base your maps on the way Nintendo does them until you get the basics. Then make them into your own style.

rokrdude

POKEMON : SINNOH QUEST CREATOR
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Game name: Pokemon Sinnoh Quest
    Map Name: Trainers paradise
    Comments: I have inserted some new tiles Pleases rate it
    (Credits to weasley fg, atomica, cnc ,paranoid and 874521 for the tiles)
    P.S- Please dont comment about tile errors relating to path I am in process of inserting some new paths

Spoiler:

I want some other people to review it
    How can I improve it?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back