• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating Thread

cdrew

Spastic Video Game Designer
Years
  • isn't that the map you submitted in the ryen contest? if so than my suggestions are the same as in that thread.

ok my turn (since i see no limit to how many i can post, i'll post a few):

Name: Route 501
    Editor: RMXP
    Comments: Map for my game. used Kyledove and WelseyFG tiles, and a few customs hither and thither.

Map Rating Thread

Name: Vardon Town
    Editor: same as above
    Comments: same as above

Map Rating Thread

Name: Route 502

Map Rating Thread

Name: Dampwood City

Map Rating Thread

Name: Rockbeach City

Map Rating Thread

Last edited:

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years
  • isn't that the map you submitted in the ryen contest? if so than my suggestions are the same as in that thread.

ok my turn (since i see no limit to how many i can post, i'll post a few):

Name: Route 501
    Editor: RMXP
    Comments: Map for my game. used Kyledove and WelseyFG tiles, and a few customs hither and thither.

Map Rating Thread

Name: Vardon Town

Map Rating Thread

Name: Route 502

Map Rating Thread

Name: Dampwood City

Map Rating Thread

Name: Rockbeach City

Map Rating Thread

-cracks knuckles- Lets do this.

Route 501: The map is not square and I cannot see any tile errors. The map is very boring though. Try to spruce it up a bit.

Vardon Town: The map is a bit square. The path tile is hard on the eyes. I do not like how still and bright the water is. The buildings look nice, though.

Route 502: I love the idea for this route. I see a few problems, though. The player has no way to get back to where they came from. There is a lot more grass than is needed and the grass is probably the squarest thing I have ever seen on any map. Fix those things up and you will have a great route!

Dampwood City: A bit square. I still do not like the water tile. Not much else to say about this map. There is something about it that I really do not like. I can't put my finger on it.

Rockbeach City: Very sqaure. I do not like the water tiles at all, as I have already stated. I really do not like that pool of water at the very top. It looks awkwardly placed. Otherwise, this map looks pretty good. Only other thing I can say is to not make the buildings so perfectly aligned.

cdrew

Spastic Video Game Designer
    Years
  • actually there is a way to get back on route 502, just not the way you came from.

and maybe i'm speaking from a realistic point of view, but aren't buildings supposed to be alligned?

But thanks for the tips. maybe i'll post more of my maps later so I can get some more help.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • Route 505 would be a nightmare for the player with all that grass.
    Make sure to tell the player to bring some repels with them on the trip.

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years
  • actually there is a way to get back on route 502, just not the way you came from.

and maybe i'm speaking from a realistic point of view, but aren't buildings supposed to be alligned?

But thanks for the tips. maybe i'll post more of my maps later so I can get some more help.

I see. Still, it wouldn't hurt for you to make a small ledge you could jump on to get back. It would suck if you forgot to do something and you remembered what it was as soon as you jumped over that last ledge. You would have to trek all the way around. No problem, man. Just PM me maps if you want. Remember, the less maps you send me, the more in-detail I can rate them.

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    i saw people put region maps in the hack map rating thread so i assume its ok in this one aswell

Map Rating Thread

that is the half finished version of my region map the top half will be full aswell as you can see the region is going to be huge cus i want people to be able to play this game...well forever :D

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years
  • i saw people put region maps in the hack map rating thread so i assume its ok in this one aswell

Map Rating Thread

that is the half finished version of my region map the top half will be full aswell as you can see the region is going to be huge cus i want people to be able to play this game...well forever :D

Do you know how many maps you are talking here? If you have the motivation to map that many then by all means go ahead but you are going to have to be seriously dedicated.

Anyway, I think it looks great. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Do you know how many maps you are talking here? If you have the motivation to map that many then by all means go ahead but you are going to have to be seriously dedicated.

Anyway, I think it looks great. I don't see anything wrong with it.

:D i know this is like only half of the towns and cities added but i am very dedicated to it

Years
  • Name: Zephyr City
    Game: None, just a test of mapping style
    Other Comments: None really, except that there are just a few parts missing and a few tile errors. I just want to know about the mapping style in general. Oh, and JPEG'd to prevent theft.
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • Name: Zephyr City
    Other Comments: None really, except that there are just a few parts missing and a few tile errors. I just want to know about the mapping style in general. Oh, and JPEG'd to prevent theft.
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Rating: 9/10

Reason: The graphics are really 10/10. I haven't seen tiles like those in about a year (other then your screenshot). If you made your own NPCs in that style (which I'm kinda guessing you will given the size of each tile) that is going to made for some amazing eye candy. The pint was dropped because of the road/path. I would of like to have seen the path surround the middle section. You might thing it would make the map look square, but I think squaring off the path would fit right with the feel of the graphics and the feel of this map that it's a city (it is a city right? lol). If this was a city, the paths would loop and break off rather then end....

Suggestions: Ehhh- why is this put here when you could write your suggestions in the reason header? You would give a suggestion per say with the reason anyways even if you didn't go into detail- [random comment on a random map]eg. "I don't like the flowers in the top left" - ehhhhh, to anyone with a brain, the suggestion is implied- remove the flowers or edit them.... DUUUUUUUHHHHHHHH!
    (I know this thread template was taken from somewhere else, so I'm not "having a go" at whoever started the thread as you all like to accuse lately.... I'm merely providing a ........ suggestion.... haha).

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Map Rating Thread

just a little something fun a little remake of the ruins of alpha in a way that i think they may use in hg/ss
    the unown glyths need blending a bit better but im still working on that

SiLvER32

Pokemon League Developer
    Years
  • i saw people put region maps in the hack map rating thread so i assume its ok in this one aswell

aww man this is HUGEEE :knockedou if you want the game to be long maybe you should try thinking about adding lots of repeative events and multiple goals/"quests" because travelling all the time will be, umm, quite frustrating? maybe?

Just some ideas because what you are planning to do doesn't sound right to me
    Name: Zephyr City
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Will give it a 9.5/10. Really good looking, can't describe the awesomeness but there's one flaw, it doesn't feel like pokemon.. I mean like the pokemon overworld, but that's just how I see it.

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    heres a nice little map you yall today it started off as just a test for the forest shadow system but ended up turning into a serious map :D this one wont be in the game its way to small

Map Rating Thread

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    How can you disable the grid on RPG maker?

I wanna show you my pics but i can't disable it...
    1. Go into Layer 3 (that doesn't have lines, but the lower layers are dimmed).

2. Go into the View menu and untick "Dim Other Layers" (or press F4).

3. ???

4. Screenshots!

monarc

Cute! A Pokemon Adventure
    Years
  • Map Name: Gemeral County

Map Editor: paint

Comments: This is a Region Map for the Gemereal County, which is in Pokemon Ladiene (thread in the P+SI Section). Just Like Neo-Dragon, I decided to section my game into counties (although he has states, but whatever). This is the county in which you start, annd.. it might seem a but small but *hint hint* in the desert it is much cooler underground. ; )

hope you like it.

EDIT:oh yeah, also this is just the first draft revisions will be made..

Map Rating Thread

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2022
    Rated Map: Woodland Town by PyroYahtzee

Rating: 7

Reason: I just don't like the tiles. But quite a good idea with the 'Hill House'.

Suggestions:
    Better Tiles. ;)

Map name: Unknown Route

Game: Private Mapping Project

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

thelaytonmobile

Beginning Reading Your Message
    Years
  • Map name: Unknown Route

Game: Private Mapping Project

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Wow. I love this map. I can see nothing wrong, it has excellent playability, and it looks like there will be other things to do if you come back later (which I like). It doesn't force the player to go through too much grass, and you can go off the path, for items, presumably (which I also like). The tiles are very nice also and go perfectly with that style of map. 10/10.

Back