• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating Thread

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I'll give the cave 9/10: it looks great, it's original but i'm still missing the final touch
    the Lake of rage i'll give 6/10: the gyarados got the blue spikes on his head, the shiny version got it in red; The house looks like something saurav created and it is far from original. The good thing is that you added the fog and the tiles are good (but i still think you got some of saurav, if you do so, give credit for him).

I know it's kinda bad comment, but face it, everyone just see the thing he don't like first.
    Maybe if you got a litle more experience you get the lake map really good, but the highest score i'll give on non-original map is still 8/10

Ye the lake was just a through together to be honest I wasent trying all that hard on itI have credited him in my deviant art but ya know, Its not even the full lake as you can see :D but it was just like a spur of the moment thing with the lake.

Is there anything else that you might be able to say about the cave that i could add

V0RT3X

Scientist at fluid dynamics
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2016
    you got 3 wide open spaces.
    You can fill them, but then you'll probally got the problem that the map would be to crowded.
    So it's a Dilemma, if you add something it will look to full, if you don't add something, you miss the final touch.

So my advise would be: if you want to use it for a game, leave it as it be.

PS: i just noticed something, the underwater tiles got the square edges, maybe you can fix that.
    If you do, i'll give you a 9.5/10, that is as good as perfect.

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    you got 3 wide open spaces.
    You can fill them, but then you'll probally got the problem that the map would be to crowded.
    So it's a Dilemma, if you add something it will look to full, if you don't add something, you miss the final touch.

So my advise would be: if you want to use it for a game, leave it as it be.

PS: i just noticed something, the underwater tiles got the square edges, maybe you can fix that.
    If you do, i'll give you a 9.5/10, that is as good as perfect.

right thanks i could most likely add paths to both of them that might help fill in some of the space and thanks for pointing out the problum with the underwater tiles thats a big help

Pika Storm

learning to script
    Years
  • 7/10
    The map itself looks good except for the slightly artificial treeline.

Also, it looks like you are using two different tilesets stuffed together. Some of the houses cliffs, and a few other things look animated while the rest of the map looks like dp stile tiles. A quick palet change could fix that though

atanil

O estel Calad tôl
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2016
    Map Name: New Bark Town

Map Editor: RPG Maker XP

Comments: Credits to Wesley FG, Kyledove and Pokemon-Diamond

Mapshot: In attachment

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    First thing that comes to mind - the houses clash horribly :\
    For example, the house at the bottom looks way too bright compared to the others, and Kyledove's D/P gatehouse doesn't fit with the FR/LG tiles.
    I'd stick to one kind of house per town (obviously excluding important buildings like the lab), and switch Kyledove's gatehouse for a FR/LG one.
    A similar thing applies to the flowers; you have two distinctly different styles of flower tile (FR/LG and D/P). Choose one of those; don't use both.
    Finally, some of the tiles look a bit odd; most of the trees look like their shadow's been cut off at the bottom. A quick tile edit should fix that. Also, the hedges look too bright compared to the rest of the map; try using a similar palette to that used for the trees. The water could use a bit of toning-down, too.

Now for the good points. I like the tree layout; it looks natural, but doesn't make the map unplayable. I like how you've included a shortcut from the entrance on the left to the houses at the bottom; I hate having to spend ages walking through towns just to reach a few inconveniently-placed buildings (unless they're supposed to be hidden away). Most of the tiles work well together, too.

atanil

O estel Calad tôl
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2016
    Wichu: I changed things you mentioned. I hope it's better now.

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013
    It's to big to posted, but here's a link:
    https://fc08.deviantart.com/fs47/f/2009/231/1/3/Almost_Done_by_chimcharsfireworkd.png

TO Alucus:
    First, Hi.
    Second:
    10/10
    I love what you've done with the trees and tiles! Great first town.

Looks nice, but some of the stuff is too boxy and open:
    7/10
    Would you please make it smaller next time, Hard to see it all.

Wichu: I changed things you mentioned. I hope it's better now.

I like it except for some of the tiles.
    I don't like what I think are rocks and the little tuffs of grass.
    9/10
    The trees are good and the houses look nicely placed.

ScizorZ

ROAR I"M A TACO!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    man, everytime i think of an idea for a map, i come on here, and someone has something way to similar! life is tough.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Wichu: I changed things you mentioned. I hope it's better now.
    You have the concept right, placement of trees, buildings etc is good. But the buildings and trees and the grass just don't seem to match each other, the grass is way too bright too. I think you just need to experiment more with different tiles :)

Map editor: Game maker
    Name: Larcoon
    Map Rating Thread

I am going to add some more things around and about to make it more interesting but can't think what, suggestions?

Last edited:

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Map name:Hagaku Forest
    Map editor:RMXP
    Comments:none really
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

i like it there is a little tile error with a tree inside a large tree, but anyway it looks very natural but i would maby add a little but more tall grass cus at the minute the small clumps look a little odd

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
    Years
  • i like it there is a little tile error with a tree inside a large tree, but anyway it looks very natural but i would maby add a little but more tall grass cus at the minute the small clumps look a little odd
    fixed tile error and added more grass
    Map Rating Thread

Mapshot:

Map Rating Thread

Map name:Mazu village
    Map editor:RMXP
    Comments:uh still no
    Mapshot:

Map Rating Thread

Last edited:

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • Map name: Viridian Forest
    Map editor: RMXP
    Comments: Tree Tiles made by Alucus_of_Borg (I think), the grass autotile is made by Alistair (almost forgot to say that), and the bright grass path and cliffs are my edits.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Riceeman

Spriter Guy
    Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    Wow, really like ti Luka! The pallette is perfect, the green cliffs are really nice, and the whole idea of adding levels into Viridian, and it all looks great!

Back