• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Mature" Pokemon

Should there be a "mature" version of the Pokemon anime?

• Yes

Votes: 35 67.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armleg

Protector of all Slowpokes!
Years
  • I don't usually watch anime, but I would if there was a mature version of Pokemon. I've tried to watch the newest episodes of Pokemon that come on, but I can never get into them. When I say "mature", I don't mean full of sex, lol. You know, like some of the stuff that comes on AS on Saturdays. I'm not at all saying I expect a mature version to be made; I'm just saying that if it happened, I'd watch it. So what does the rest of PC think about that?

(Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum!)

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • I'd watch it; the only reason Ash and his friends are always kept young is to appeal to the younger audience who'll buy the game (thus why in the game, you're 10 as well - Ninty seems to think only 10-year-olds take interest in Pokemon).

As long as the female counterpart doesn't show off her body and have gigantesque boobs, I'd go for it.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • As long as the female counterpart doesn't show off her body and have gigantesque boobs, I'd go for it.

They kinda do already -.-'

Yeah, if the characters were grown up, a LOT more intelligent and actually knew how to handle and raise their 'mons, I'd totally watch it.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • They kinda do already -.-'

Kinda, yeah, but I mean like this (don't click if you don't like wiggly anime boobs):

Spoiler:

As long as it doesn't get to that lol ~.~

Aro-kun

Pokemon trainer
    Years
  • Um, mature means that it has to have sex in it or at least scenes of extreme violence.

Any ways, Pokemon is a children's video game made for children. And thus, the tv show is a children's tv show made for children.
    Honestly, if you want to see a mature version of monsters fighting monsters go watch Digimon or something.

Or read the manga. Can people make a petition to get the manga turned into an anime? I'd definitely watch a more mature version of pokemon. Just no sex, and light cussing (Damn, Hell only). Maybe they beat an evil organization leader and he says: Congradulations...you beat me...But that means nothing! *Pulls out gun, and shoots* *Character and pokemon dodge, pokemon does a ranged attack and defeats the boss, happy ending* lmao

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • coolcatkim22 said:
    Um, mature means that it has to have sex in it or at least scenes of extreme violence.

Any ways, Pokemon is a children's video game made for children. And thus, the tv show is a children's tv show made for children.
    Honestly, if you want to see a mature version of monsters fighting monsters go watch Digimon or something

Mature doesn't mean it has to have sex or extreme violence, no, that's adult. Mature can be aimed at a younger age group. Look at Avatar: The Last Airbender, or Teen Titans, those shows are somewhat more mature then a show like Pokemon, in that they have interesting characters and plots.

Adult, which is what you referred to, is where there is sex and extreme violence. Not all adult shows are mature, and vice versa, not all mature shows are adult. There are some that are mature, that are adult as well, but there are shows that are simply adult or simply mature.

Pokemon isn't mature, really, but it doesn't need to be. All it is, is an advertisement for the games, and that's likely all it will be. (Though there has been some more serious villains in the anime, via Galactic, and J, so they're starting to take steps in the right direction. Just deliver us some more personality for the main characters, and allow Jessie, James and Meowth to sit back for a few episodes between episodes, and there goes my complaints for the current anime.)

However, would I like a more mature version of Pokemon? Yes. I would. It would be nice to see something that takes itself more seriously then the anime, really.

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
  • Pokemon was originally considered "mature" even though it was aimed at a younger audience in both Japan and the English versions. Listen (or read) the original episodes of the Pokemon anime, including Mewtwo Strikes Back. While not "HARDCORE" or anything like that... They're both well done and deep.

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
  • 3. So what you're saying is that, all children program is outamatically without interesting characters and plot. That's quite a stretch.

1. Your dyslexia kicked in. Might want to fix that.
    2. I think you're taking Zeta too literally in what he said. He didn't say they were void of characters and plot, he said it lacked interesting characters and plot. I'm quite sure I haven't seen a plot to Pokemon since the 3rd season. The closest thing to plot the latest Pokemon episodes have is the opening credits where it shows Ash's Butterfree with his mate.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2016
    I'm pretty sure what Armleg is trying to say is mature in the sense of a more complex storyline, deeper theme and more valuable characterization of the characters.

So, yeah. I would definitely watch a Pokemon series with a more mature tone.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • Hm, I'd rather not get into an argument with you, so yes, I made a mistake. My bad. But how can I not? The definition of a 'mature pokemon series' here has been talked about incorrectly from the definition then for quite a while, unless everyone wants bloody corpses and sex in pokemon. That incorrect definition is what I assumed, due to previous conversations.

What I meant is something that takes itself at least a little seriously, with three-dimensional characters, and a more complex plot. I'm not saying all children's shows lack them, look at Teen Titans, the characters seem well developed, to me, anyway, and that is a children's show. Yet it shows seriousness at the same time.

So maybe it isn't maturity, but maybe effort from the writing staff I crave. Avatar has had a lot of effort put into it by its creators, basing the whole world off of Asian cultures. They did their research, and were able to craft a whole world out of it. And making it quite interesting, and kind of mysterious at the same time. Pokemon writers have gotten lazy, indeed, and don't put as much effort into it, which makes it less compelling, and the characters less... unique.

This is the last post I'll be writing here, no point in overstaying my welcome.

Armleg

Protector of all Slowpokes!
    Years
  • Wow, so many posts to quote and evaluate! I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a debate. For you persnickety forum browsers, let me explain myself...

First of all, I obviously (or not so obviously) used the word "mature" because it seemed to me to be fitting. Excuse me if I thought saying "for ages 14 plus" would confuse people more than saying "mature", and excuse me once more since I didn't check the dictionary to make sure my word usage was one-hundred percent perfect. Sorry if that upset some of you.

Secondly, Did I not explain vividly enough that I didn't expect an "ages 14 plus" Pokemon anime to be made? I am sure that is not going to happen, and I do not think it would be good for the Pokemon franchise. All that was intended in my creating of this thread was to see if I was not alone in my opinion.

Sorry if this thread caused any sort of turmoil. Please stick to the subject when you post as a means of avoiding this! :]

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Um, mature means that it has to have sex in it or at least scenes of extreme violence.

Honestly, if you want to see a mature version of monsters fighting monsters go watch Digimon or something.

Pokemon in Genral whether the anime games or manga is always directed toawards young children it can be aimed towards older people, for example the TCG and Games are basically aimed to the older generations. While the Anime and Magna try ot aim for the younger kids and children.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • The games, TCG and manga are directed at all ages. It's the anime that's directed at kids. That's what this 'alternate anime' would be trying to rectify.

Oh and Armleg, don't worry, you used the word correctly. coolkatkim22 is not using the dictionary definition of the word, but like the ESRB (or equivalent) definition.

Last edited:

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • I'd probably watch it! It would be interesting to see them older and stuff. :D

I think it would make life easier for people who tease people about playing Pokémon. They could show them the mature version so they would stop associating the games with the "OMGYAHGOPIKKAKCHCUUU!!" childrens version of the anime :P

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • A sex scene or extremely violent showdown between two Pokemons? Hm, that sounds like the Pokemon manga. To be honest, I would love to watch a more "mature" version of the Pokemon anime. It doesn't have to include violence and sex. They could just show an Arbok being decapitated in half earlier on to show how mature the show really is. Besides, I love anime girls with big breasts

Cartoon Network could show the "child" version in the morning and the "mature" version late at night, eh?

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • I'd love to see a more 'mature' version of a Pokémon Anime. Perhaps with main characters in their late teens (usually the age of the main character is around the audience's age), with deep personalities and such... most of all my vote goes to a decent, less repetitive plot.

Like someone mentioned earlier, I wouldn't mind seeing the Pokéspecial manga animated. *_*

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    @coolcatkim22

Read your own definitions:

4. pertaining to or characteristic of full development: a mature appearance; fruit with a mature softness.

A fully developed story = Mature.

I'd love a more mature version of Pokémon, the show at the moment (and for the age I am) is ridiculously childish and overall very boring with it's repetitive themes and boring scripting.

A more adult overhaul would be nice.

Ciz Adartse

• Damn •
    Years
  • I'm in a bit of a confusion but I'll go for a "no"...

Only a NO because many kids could be influenced bigtime if they watch the newly "Matured" Pokemon series...

*But I'd Really go for a hell yeah when im the only one watching ;)

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    No, I would not want a more "mature" version of Pokemon. The whole concept of "Pokemon" is utterly ridiculous, and if it started taking itself seriously then it would crumble. I kinda think that Pokemon should become more camp, like 60's Batman.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back