• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mega Evolutions in Alola

Which would you rather they add more of in Sun/Moon?

• Total voters
    Years
    Do you think Megas will return?

This really has me concerned honestly. The thought they'll be thrown out the window for something as gimmicky and broken as Z-moves is kind of worrying as a competitive player.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
    You're worried about Megas being replaced by something broken? Did you even play Gen 6?

Kidding aside, there's no way they'd remove a feature so huge it was advertised across a whole Generation, tossing aside 50 designs in the process. Think of the backlash Game Freak would get for making Pokemon like Beedrill, Mawile and Kangaskan useless again. There's also the fact that two characters from XY appear (and seem to have Mega Rings) in this game, and the fact that Generations will show Megas again and it would be weird to show them again just to say "Hah hah, your favourite Pokemon designs are gone". They must be available during the Post Game. I'm not entirely sure if they're gonna give us new ones, but there's no way they'd be gone entirely.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Yeah, but it's hard to say whether there will be new megas or not. I'd assume if there are any new megas then there would be a significantly lower amount than XY/ORAS introduced. With Alolan forms being the main focus for S/M, I can't imagine all that many Pokemon receiving a new mega tbh.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Pretty sure Megas will return, but I don't see why you think Z-Moves are broken. You can use them once per battle and that is it. Everyone will probably have one, so it balances out.

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2024
    I found something in the recent trailer that seems to indicate the return of mega evolutions. Near the end, you see 4 characters using z-moves, a quick clip of solgaleo, and then the main character going through another motion sequence. If you watch the video at 1/4 speed, you can see that while the character motions are similar, the graphics are different in this final sequence. Instead of the reddish-orange background flare that the z-moves produce, this motion produces a couple of rainbow-colored starburst patterns.

Now, I could be wrong, but this seems to indicate mega evolution to me.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Maybe not OHKO moves because then they'd be absurdly OP in competitive play but I imagine they'd at the very least ignore protection moves and maybe have very high priority, in addition to having super-high base power. But hey I could be completely wrong and next year we'll see Talonflame carrying Ultra-Mega-Death-Fire Z-Stones so it can use it to OHKO anything Brave Bird doesn't already seriously anything's possible 乁(ツ)ㄏ

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
    Well, we did see Pikachu use a Normal type Z-move only do like 50% to a non resisted Pokemon, so they might not be all broken.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I think mega evolutions will still be included in the game, just with less emphasis placed on them. The Alolan Formes are supposed to catch people's attention more as it is a new feature. There will likely be less mega evolutions released for Sun and Moon so that they won't have to compete in the limelight with new Alolan Formes but who knows at this point! If mega evolutions are included, I'd say that they're either going to be included mid-game or post-game depending on how important of a role the Alolan forms play in the Sun and Moon storyline.

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2016
    I think mega evolutions will still be included in the game, just with less emphasis placed on them. The Alolan Formes are supposed to catch people's attention more as it is a new feature. There will likely be less mega evolutions released for Sun and Moon so that they won't have to compete in the limelight with new Alolan Formes but who knows at this point! If mega evolutions are included, I'd say that they're either going to be included mid-game or post-game depending on how important of a role the Alolan forms play in the Sun and Moon storyline.

I would agree with that, except we haven't seen a single mega evolution in Corocoro or the trailers

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    The problem with not having seen a single Mega Evolution at all yet could lean in either direction:

Either there are no new Megas whatsoever, so they don't want to show any in the pre-release materials to get peoples' hopes up. Think of how they showed small snippets of Pokémon-Amie or the character customization: they haven't officially announced either of these things but through what we've seen of the trailers, they do have new aspects to them. If there are no new aspects to Mega Evolution (aka no new Megas) there's a good chance they don't want to show it occurring before SM's release.

On the other hand, they may still be waiting to show off its return, and the reason why they're waiting for so long is because they have something major to show alongside it (aka new Megas). You also have cases such as the final starter evolutions not being shown before the games' release. Of course they will be there, but we just don't get to see them. For "important" things sometimes they do take a long time to reveal them.

So... right now things could go either way. We have another news update in a few days and we have the rest of the month, all of October, and even the beginning of November for anything to be shown. It's literally anyone's guess at this point.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 20, 2024
    The problem with not having seen a single Mega Evolution at all yet could lean in either direction:

Either there are no new Megas whatsoever, so they don't want to show any in the pre-release materials to get peoples' hopes up. Think of how they showed small snippets of Pokémon-Amie or the character customization: they haven't officially announced either of these things but through what we've seen of the trailers, they do have new aspects to them. If there are no new aspects to Mega Evolution (aka no new Megas) there's a good chance they don't want to show it occurring before SM's release.

On the other hand, they may still be waiting to show off its return, and the reason why they're waiting for so long is because they have something major to show alongside it (aka new Megas). You also have cases such as the final starter evolutions not being shown before the games' release. Of course they will be there, but we just don't get to see them. For "important" things sometimes they do take a long time to reveal them.

So... right now things could go either way. We have another news update in a few days and we have the rest of the month, all of October, and even the beginning of November for anything to be shown. It's literally anyone's guess at this point.
    there's also something else they might be doing. namely making it so certain Z stones can trigger mega evolution rather then giving access to a z move

blue

gucci
    Years
    Thought I'd throw this out there for some opinions.

Spoiler:

Anyone think this could be one of the mega stones? It seems to resemble the mega stone sparkle from gen VI. If that is the case, then it looks like this can be found on what appears to be the second island which would suggest that mega stones are in fact available during the storyline. I know they've already been confirmed to be in the games, but some people think that it may be postgame content.

Years
    You know, I think that does look like the sparkles that you find a Mega Stone in. So maybe we can collect them during the story, but then the question is when would we be able to get a Key Stone that fits into the circle indent on the Z-Ring?

Back