• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mewtwo looks like Frieza

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • What Pokemon do you think look similar to/were inspired by other characters in media/famous people?

I've always thought Mewtwo's design might have been inspired by this form of Frieza in Dragon Ball:

Mewtwo looks like Frieza
    Mewtwo looks like Frieza

While I do think that I am stretching a bit, I've always wondered about this.

But, yeah, what are some other Pokemon you think could have /possibly/ been inspired by other fictions characters, or strangely enough, real people? You can list human characters, too, if you want.

StaticShock

Chaos Current
    Years
  • Mewtwo is definitely inspired a lot by Frieza. He's a better Frieza though. :P

I can't think of any other inspirations atm.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    gumshoos looks like donald trump

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Zacian looks similar to Repede from the Tales of Series (I know there area people who say it looks like Great Wolf Sif from Dark Souls).
    Probopass does look like Mario or at least as a homage.
    Eternatus does look similar to Ridley from the Metroid series, both are dragon with skeletons present.
    Jigglypuff might be inspired from Kirby, both are pink, round, cute, and can float in the air like balloons.

There might be more but these are the ones popping in my mind.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • While Eevee's creator said that it was inspired by vague memories of an animal he encountered in the woods as a child, Eevee still shares an uncanny resemblance to the fox-squirrels from Nausicaa (1982) and Castle in the Sky (1986). Munchlax also looks like a little Totoro (1988).

Spoiler:

I also think Wigglytuff looks quite a bit like Clamp's Mokona (1993).

Spoiler:

I also always thought The Dash from Cardcaptor Sakura resembled Espeon, as well as Ruby Carbuncle from Yu-Gi-Oh! (though both of these came after Pokémon).

Spoiler:

EDIT: Electabuzz also bears some resemblance to Rei's beast form from Urusei Yatsura (1978), especially its Shiny form (though they are both based on oni). We also see a yuki onna wearing a purple obi like Shiny Froslass at some point (the main one, Oyuki, wears a red obi like regular Froslass). Coincidence?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Bagon reminds me of Yoshi from Mario, especially shiny bagon because it's green.

Shiny Altaria has always made me think of Tweety Bird.

Foongus could be Toad from Mario.

Shiny Machamp gives me Hulk vibes.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Shiny Galarian Darmanitan is Shrek

Shiny Bisharp is Knightman from Megaman 6.

Garbodor is me.

Gumshoos is Detective Gumshoe from Ace Attorney... and Trump too

Obstagoon is directly inspired in Gene Simmons, idk if that count bc it's obvious.

M-Ampharos is any Dragon Ball main character

Infernape is Goku (actually it is but it isn't)

Shiny Machamp gives me Hulk vibes.
    Hulk Hogan lmao

Last edited:

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • Mewtwo also looks a bit like Giygas from the first Mother game.
    Salamence is based on Devilman from the series of the same name. At least its color scheme and wings.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • What Pokemon do you think look similar to/were inspired by other characters in media/famous people?

I don't think this counts, but Team rocket's Meowth has an hitler like mustache in the banned episode with Dratini (TBH if hitler WAS an pokeman https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/001/023/4A3WG3NACXH63ZDCNOM4PE2GJIYZNBT7.jpg he will be an dark/fire type), in the polish dub, that Meowth is voiced by the same guy who voices modern dub gargamel (who is an Misanthrope), fitting huh?

Last edited:
    Back