• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most forgettable starters

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
  • As seems to be a common trend, I too found the the 5th gen starters to be kinda forgettable as they just weren't collectively all that great, though individually they did all have their own upside. It also doesn't help that in all of the other gens that I personally have a favorite in each one and in 5th I didn't.

As for a singular starter, I would say Quilladin and Marshtomp weren't so great to me but I actually liked all of the other middle evos, they are actually my favorite stage collectively for the starters.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • I think gen 5 were not that memorable.
    Especially (goes to look up the gen 5 starters so he remembers which was the worst) Dewott. It practically doesn't exist.

Delirious Absol

Call me Del
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Gen 4 is the most forgettable for me, especially Turtwig. I often forget Treecko too when I'm trying to remember all the starters.

SilverLeafeon75

Type diversity? What type diversity?
    Years
  • Piplup and Treecko are the worst for me. Why does starter have a 20 BASE POWER stab?! In Pokemon emerald, I would ALWAYS replace absorb for bullet seed. Yes bullet seed is better IMO than absorb. They dont even get a good move until they are in their mid 20's AFTER evolving.... The struggle with these Pokemon is so much that they deserve to not be picked.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • IMO, the Unova starters are the most forgettable. I'm actually replaying Black 2 right now and I'm already annoyed with my starter. The only memorable one was Snivy and thats thanks to the Smugleaf meme.

I know alot of people find Gen 2's forgettable, and I can see why that is if you weren't around for Gen 2 originally. Ever since Gen 3, anything Johto related has been relegated to the "forgettable" pile. Many of the mons from that era got more notoriety from later appearances (I can't tell you how many people think Skarmory is a Gen 3 mon, when its a Johto native). Merchandising, advertising, and being front and center are something that Gen II mons including the starters get the shaft on. A deliberate effort has been made to make them overshadowed by Game Freak and I have no idea why.

Years
  • Piplup and Treecko are the worst for me. Why does starter have a 20 BASE POWER stab?! In Pokemon emerald, I would ALWAYS replace absorb for bullet seed. Yes bullet seed is better IMO than absorb. They dont even get a good move until they are in their mid 20's AFTER evolving.... The struggle with these Pokemon is so much that they deserve to not be picked.

I think part of why Treecko and Piplup started out weak is likely because they get literally stronger moves as the game goes on. Thankfully, Treecko's moveset was edited to now learn Mega Drain earlier, and Bubble was buffed to 40 base power in 6th Gen.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm really surprised to hear treecko as a forgettable starter. the whole line has cool designs and i found it to be decent.

I know alot of people find Gen 2's forgettable, and I can see why that is if you weren't around for Gen 2 originally. Ever since Gen 3, anything Johto related has been relegated to the "forgettable" pile. Many of the mons from that era got more notoriety from later appearances (I can't tell you how many people think Skarmory is a Gen 3 mon, when its a Johto native). Merchandising, advertising, and being front and center are something that Gen II mons including the starters get the shaft on. A deliberate effort has been made to make them overshadowed by Game Freak and I have no idea why.

I'm so glad someone noticed this too! I always think of gen2/Johto as the forgotten generation/region. It's not that it's actually forgettable, it's more like they want you to forget about it.

Years
  • I'm so glad someone noticed this too! I always think of gen2/Johto as the forgotten generation/region. It's not that it's actually forgettable, it's more like they want you to forget about it.

They wanted to make Chikorita even more forgettable than the other Johto starters by literally making nearly every Gym and important trainer strong against it, and of course it struggles against Team Rocket's Poison-dominated teams as well. But I do see your point, Johto seems like the forgotten region to me.

Years
  • Well, story wise, gen 2 was to be the last one in the series. The whole storyline post-game seemed to tie up loose ends. Even the Cinnabar volcano thing was a way to end the Mewtwo plot by destroying the lab and mansion. Even to the part where you beat Red on mount Silver.

Lynda

Redhead Ponytail Gal
    Years
  • Gen 1 Starters: All classic. Love them all
    Gen 2 Starters: Haters gonna hate on poor Chikorita, I love all three of them. : )
    Gen 3 Starters: Easily my favourite set of starters. all nine evolutions are amazing.
    Gen 4 Starters: Easily the most powerful group of starters for the main story mode. All three of them get amazing dual types, and are some of the most powerful Pokemon in Pearl pre-nationaldex
    Gen 5 Starters: Completely useless and horrible. Most redeeming quality is the admittedly brilliant Fire-pig puns.
    Gen 6 Starters: I love all three of their first forms as much as Treecko, Torchic, and Mudkip. A shame all their evolutions are hideous.

If I had to pick an all around worst starter, it would be Oshowatt. Man that thing is stupid looking. XD

That's all she wrote...

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    They wanted to make Chikorita even more forgettable than the other Johto starters by literally making nearly every Gym and important trainer strong against it, and of course it struggles against Team Rocket's Poison-dominated teams as well. But I do see your point, Johto seems like the forgotten region to me.

I like to look at Chikorita as just "challenge mode" Johto. Out of the three i actually found totodile to be the most forgettable. I'll see and hear about chikorita, cyndaquil and their evolutions often enough. as for totodile i'll hear about it, but never its evolutions

Years
  • I love the Totodile line, I thought it would rival the Squrtle line.

I took the Johto challenged Chikorita line anyway, he came though in the post-game.

Back