• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most forgettable starters

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    In your opinion, what is the the most forgettable generation of starters?

And of course, which starter itself is the most forgettable of all?

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    I'd say Chikorita is the most uninteresting starter. Actually Johto starters are my favorite design-wise, but it has No Mega yet, no useful hidden ability, limited movepool. It also suffers in two first gym in Johto, and even some trainers in Sprout tower have hoothoot,
    Basically, Chikorita is Johto hard mode. (I'm not saying I hate it :D)

drfaustfaustus

Not a real doctor
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2018
    For some reason, I find myself forgetting the Gen 3 starters most often, especially Treecko. I don't really understand why, because I absolutely loved Gen 3.

Years
    To me, Johto seems the most forgettable and uninteresting. It's mostly due to the fact that none of the three gain a second type, plus Chikorita is so difficult to use in the Johto games, to the point most would just pick Totodile or Cyndaquil.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    For me it's gen 4 !!

And of them it's Turtwig, probably. It's always the grass type lol.

I am sad to see about the second generation :( It's my favorite <3

Years
    As great as they are, there's nothing all that memorable about the second generation starters. Maybe getting mega evolutions before the other sets of starters would change that, but until then my vote goes to them.

As for the most forgettable starter, I'll go with Turtwig. I actually had a mental block as to who the Grass type starter in Sinnoh was, until I saw Mawa post it right before me. If Empoleon weren't my favorite final evolution starter, Sinnoh might've been in place of Johto above, but it goes to show how little I pay attention to the Turtwig family if I forgot it completely...

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    For me it's a toss up between the second and fifth generation starters. The second generation was rather bland, with no starter being a clear favorite. I thought the fifth generation had cool designs when it came to Serperior and Samurott, but I found them mediocre to use... enough so that I ditched them during the play through lol.

As for most forgettable starter itself I think I have to go with turtwig also. You never see it or hear of it really. It's funny for me because it was the first starter I chose when I played Diamond

Years
    Definitely fifth gen starters for me for some reason...I always have to go looking up which ones were fifth gen, since I can never remember them. >< To be honest, I would include second gen ones here as well, but I put so many hours into those games that I can't really forget the starters (plus, typhlosion <3).

As for most forgettable starter....uh. I'm not sure. Turtwig could be one, although I keep forgetting Tepig is a thing too, eh heh.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    Chikorita, Snivy and Tepig by far. Chikorita's line has already been explained and boils down to a shallow movepool and weaknesses against the first two gyms; interesting concept, but in serious need of a buff, just like Typhlosion and (to a lesser extent) Feraligatr. I love the latter two despite their flaws, but Meganium is just so disappointing compared to them.

And just for clarification before you read on, I'm referring to Overgrow Serperior, not its Contrary counterpart. The latter is amazing thanks to Leaf Storm, but the former just has nothing other than Speed going for it; honestly, Lilligant (with Quiver Dance) and Whimsicott are so much better as Gen V grass types. While Serperior actually has some use thanks to its Hidden Ability, Emboar is absolutely useless aside from its high Attack; all that HP is worthless if it can't even tank thanks to its subpar defences and low Speed. As the third Fire/Fighting type, you'd think Emboar would fill some sort of niche that Blaziken or Infernape can't - simply put, it doesn't.

Years
    I love Chikorita! It's my 2nd favorite starter, but I can see why it's pretty forgettable. Most people chose Cyndaquil.

Feraligatr is pretty forgettable.
    Gen 3 is pretty memorable.
    Gen 4 is memorable, but does anyone remember PRINPLUP... oh man...
    Gen 5... Tepig.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
    The most forgettable for me personally are all of the Unova starters. Oshowatt a bit less so, but still. But that's most likely because I never really played those games as much as any of the others.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    A lot of people are bringing up gen II. I played GSC far too much to forget them, but they're definitely Pokemon I never really use anymore. Turtwig and Tepig are definitely the most forgetable. I think in a few years so will Chespin. Does anyone choose it?

Years
    A lot of people are bringing up gen II. I played GSC far too much to forget them, but they're definitely Pokemon I never really use anymore. Turtwig and Tepig are definitely the most forgetable. I think in a few years so will Chespin. Does anyone choose it?

I chose Chespin! I have a Chespin T-shirt too :I.

I think I chose him solely because my dad told me when I was little to always choose the grass Pokemon because it was the easiest to play with (He was right, in Gen I Bulbasaur was easy mode.)

I was young and thought this equated to all games, so I chose Chikorita and Treecko.
    I guess in Gen IV I thought Piplup was cute so I chose it instead, but I chose Snivy in Chespin later on.

So I guess my dad imprinted grass Pokemon on to me. It feels gross choosing any other Pokemon.

Fannie

Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    I chose Chespin! I have a Chespin T-shirt too :I.

I think I chose him solely because my dad told me when I was little to always choose the grass Pokemon because it was the easiest to play with (He was right, in Gen I Bulbasaur was easy mode.)

I was young and thought this equated to all games, so I chose Chikorita and Treecko.
    I guess in Gen IV I thought Piplup was cute so I chose it instead, but I chose Snivy in Chespin later on.

So I guess my dad imprinted grass Pokemon on to me. It feels gross choosing any other Pokemon.

The type must be your forte. I struggled with them until 3rd gen. Which is a shame because I love the designs for the Chikorita and Bulbasaur line!

Years
    I think in a few years so will Chespin. Does anyone choose it?

I recall Chespin seems to be the least picked Kalos starter at the moment. I mostly blame Quilladin as the reason people were turned off. I actually find Quilladin cute, but people think it looks too derpy.

As for the comments about Turtwig, I do have to kinda agree with you since I barely see many people choosing Turtwig in the Sinnoh games. Heck, I only did one run of Platinum with Turtwig as opposed to the other two which I did multiple tries with, with Chimchar now being my most picked of the three.

Fannie

Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    I recall Chespin seems to be the least picked Kalos starter at the moment. I mostly blame Quilladin as the reason people were turned off. I actually find Quilladin cute, but people think it looks too derpy.

As for the comments about Turtwig, I do have to kinda agree with you since I barely see many people choosing Turtwig in the Sinnoh games. Heck, I only did one run of Platinum with Turtwig as opposed to the other two which I did multiple tries with, with Chimchar now being my most picked of the three.

The first time I played Pearl I didn't research the starters before chosing mine. I thought that despite being hit with the ugly stick, Turtwig would grow into a beautiful flower. It didn't. The fact that Torterra is a small island is actually really cool. It's not a very pretty island though. And it's really funny to think about what it would look like battling in an alleyway with that thing.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023

imo i think chespin's line is the least desirable design wise in its gen. I even chose it last during my kalos playthroughs, but i will say i found it the most usable out of the three.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    Unova's starters are the ones I think are forgettable. They were only made around five years ago, aren't that good in battle (I'm sorry Serperior), and are overall just plain.

As for starters in general, every single middle evo like Charmeleon, Frogadier and Servine. It pains me to see that even SSB doesn't give them much love.

Years
    Unova's starters are the ones I think are forgettable. They were only made around five years ago, aren't that good in battle (I'm sorry Serperior), and are overall just plain.

As for starters in general, every single middle evo like Charmeleon, Frogadier and Servine. It pains me to see that even SSB doesn't give them much love.

The only reason why I don't find Unova's starters forgettable is because I'm a fan of 5th Gen, along with one of the three being my fave Pokemon. Serperior did at least get better once it got Contrary, even if it had to wait until ORAS-era 6th Gen for it.

But like you, I do have to admit how forgettable the middle stage starters tend to be. It's like they barely ever get recognition most of the time, but at least Braixen is getting more exposure at the moment thanks to the anime and Pokken Tournament.

Back