• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moves Pokemon shouldn't be able to use, but can.

Sirfetch’d

I can't believe that Mew and Smeargle can learn Pluck, let alone all the other TMs. I thought Pluck was exclusive to birds.

Also, why does Pupitar learn Crunch when it doesn't have a mouth? and how does Golurk Fly when it doesn't have wings?

I guess Mew and Smeargle learn those moves due to Smeargle's ability to sketch and Mew's ability to learn all TMs.

Pupitar learning Crunch is a bit weird to me as well and for Golurk it flies using its rocket feet.

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2024
    Parasect can learn Aerial Ace >.> <.<
    and Leafeon too .-.

Noir

Sir Lucious Left Foot
    Years
  • Digglet can learn sucker punch and it have no arms... find that a bit weird.

This is one of those "lost in translation" things. The Japanese name for Sucker Punch is 'Ambush', so it would be perfectly plausible for Diglett to get it since it could always burrow underground and sneak up on its enemy!

I don't get how Emboar knows Scald. Well I do, but the mental image of Emboar heating up his saliva to spit at the enemy is disgusting and ugh why did I type that.

Sleeping Snorlax

I'm blocking your path
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2014
    Gyarados learning both Thunderbolt and Thunder.... like what??? I swear it would just kill itself while producing the electricity. Its even 4x weak to lightning. Pokemon Logic FTW!

PokeChris123

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Moves Pokemon shouldn't be able to use, but can.

Pokedex description of Vullaby:

Black: Its wings are too tiny to allow it to fly. As the time approaches for it to evolve, it discards the bones it was wearing.

Black 2 and White 2: Their wings are too tiny to allow them to fly. They guard their posteriors with bones that were gathered by Mandibuzz.

Both of these Pokedex entries state that Vullaby can't "Fly" because of its wings, yet it can learn the HM for Fly with no problem. ??????

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
    Years
  • As Boilurn has said himself - Mew and Smeargle knowing Pluck. I honestly thought Pluck was a Flying-type move only until I found out that those two could learn it, and I was creeped out.

Also, Pupitar learning Crunch, is that just because it's evolved version can crunch?

Golurk using Fly is slightly weird, but doesn't he have weird thrust things in his feet? o.o

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2014
    rollout jigglypuff.
    hum.

How does Zapdos produce a Heat Wave?

This actually makes sense. A byproduct of tranporting/producing energy is heat. Zapdos can basically supercharge itself and cook things around it like that.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I also find it funny that Wooper learns Ice Punch despite not having arms, but's probably because it evolves into something that has arms, Quagsire. But still I find it funny how some Pokemon learn moves executed by a body part when the said body part is not even visible, causing confusion over how they perform the attack.

Fomalhaut

Formal Hunt
    Years
  • Lapras does have some draconian aspects, IMO. I think it makes sense to it to be able to use electric attacks... Fire, on the other hand, I'm a bit on the fence with that. But it's Lapras, and Lapras is awesome, so I try not to think about it too hard.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • I was teaching the HM Strength to my Raichu in FireRed, I had an Exeggcute in my party and it was compatible with the HM! Who knew that these psychic eggs/seeds can move boulders! haha

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • And one that also confused me for a long time is Skuntank learning Flamethrower despite not even being a Fire-type. I don't get what a Fire move has to do with a skunk, but it's odd.

Well you know those jokes about holding a lighter up and farting into it and it apparently causes a "flamethrower for a second? yeah.....

Is it legitimate To discuss the Pokemon that should be able To learn a technique, but can't here too? I always wanted rapidash to learn rock climb.... But it gets bounce instead... what?

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
    Years
  • Is it legitimate To discuss the Pokemon that should be able To learn a technique, but can't here too? I always wanted rapidash to learn rock climb.... But it gets bounce instead... what?

Well maybe that's because horses are better known for jumping than climbing. When you think of it that way, it maybe makes more sense.

Unlike when you realize Snorlax can be taught things like Psychic, Selfdestruct, Gunk Shot and Recycle (through various methods).

Fomalhaut

Formal Hunt
    Years
  • I was teaching the HM Strength to my Raichu in FireRed, I had an Exeggcute in my party and it was compatible with the HM! Who knew that these psychic eggs/seeds can move boulders! haha

Yes, how could such a tiny Psychic type move something so heavy? Absurd.

Also, Alakazam learning focus blast which is a fighting type move? Not sure 'bout that.

It's a ball of energy... A powerful ball of energy... Seems to fit. I mean, if you assume that it's strange for it to learn focus blast, why not question it learning energy ball, or charge beam or signal beam... et cetera...

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • I remember battling a Machamp in Platinum I think? It used flamethrower on me! As well as Golem. Not a very good move to put on those Pokemon but it surprised me.
    I looked up Machamp's compatible TM's list and found he could learn Poison Jab. It also learns moves such as incinerate and fire blast!

Also, I don't understand how most Pokemon can learn Toxic...

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I hate how in the current gen psychic tyoes uses fighting atacks knocking out my dark pokemon grr. or all the chanseys etc using flamestorm or flame thorwer or thunderbolt where the heck do they come with that?

Back