• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moves you hate most?

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    What Pokemon moves do you hate most?
    For me, Dark Void is the absolute worst. If it's kept in Generation 7 there is a big problem there.
    Other moves I hate are Protect and Detect. They make the battle drag on for no good reason.

Years
    I don't like the move Splash

It is too overpowered; my Pokemon can't handle it when an opponent uses Splash

I think that they should make it less overpowered in future games

But for reals, there's a lot of moves that I hate to be the victim of, but love to use on others, such as Leech Seed,

Years
    Moves you hate most?

Ever since the one time I got it randomly through Metronome, Memento's been my least favorite move. I mean, I guess it could have a use if you prevent an opponent from switching and then use it, but those circumstances are so limited that I don't know why anyone would teach it to their Pokemon.

And since this looks to be more about the moves from the games than it does about moves in general, I'm going to flip this over to Pokemon Gaming Central for you.

MOVED.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    I'm not a big fan of Rock Smash. Cut has a purpose and is a decent move early on in the game. Rock Smash on the other hand is weak even on lower level Pokemon and has a chance of lowering the Defense stat slightly which doesn't help much as it only does a touch more damage. And it's an HM move and you can't get rid of it without the help of a Move Deleter. It's one of the more useless moves I can think of. Even Flash is more useful because it lowers the opponent's accuracy similar to Smokescreen and if used a bunch makes it hard for the opponent to strike at all, and also lights caves up for you.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Probably Swagger, as it never hits when I use it and even when It does, confusion never works. Yet when the AI does, It might as well just OHKO my Pokémon with it hitting itself. I'll add anything that involves causing confusion as well, it's very cheap and the game becomes based on coin flips rather than actual skill.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Confuse Ray. If I'm the one using the move it probably last for about 2-3 turns with the foe getting hurt about once or twice, if the foe uses the move then I'll be confused for about 5 turns with most turns being hurt by confusion.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
    Freaking Techno Blast. What's the point of it? It forces your Genesect to use a specific drive over stuff such as Life Orb or Choice Scarf. Not to mention Genesect can use Thunderbolt and Ice Beam and Flamethrower and Hidden Power Water and everything in-between.

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
    Years
    I dislike low-accuracy moves in general.

Blizzard of Flame blast for instance, deal great damage but I always prefer Ice Beam or Flamethrower.

Also I hate Poison sting (fortunately it's used before gym 3-4 max in all games). It deals very low damage on one hand, but when opponent poisons me with it it's sadness I feel.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    I hate Knock Off ever since it got a buff in gen 6. Other moves on my hate list include hazard moves and status moves.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
    In-game: Confuse Ray, Toxic, Poison Gas, Poison Sting, Thunder Wave.
    Confuse Ray gets your Pokémon suicidal for no reason and the other ones give you status effects you stick with until the next Pokécenter. (I don't use full heals.)

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 14, 2024
    Has to be Dark Void. For the attacker it just makes the game dull, for the defender it's almost impossible to avoid. The only people to use Dark Void in combat do it because they think it's funny and purely just to win with no fun involved.

... ok, over-generalising massively there. ~_~ I just really hate that move. Luckily it's Darkrai only. FOR NOW.

TheGhosteon

Geeeetttt dunked on!!
    Years
    I hate the move Nuzzle. Just...Aaargh! It's basically Thunder Wave that does miniscule damage! Why?? Also, I hate the moves Confuse Ray, Supersonic, Toxic, Sing, Stun Spore, and Swagger.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Swagger & Flatter after the confusion fade by amount of turn or lum berry, the opponent can hit you hard unless you use mist or any switcher like Whirlwind

Toxic. at first was lower and next it goes up until the point of 1 HP left and baam you dead
    Double Team / Minimize; unless you have moves that ignore evasion stats, your out of luck when opponent sleep or stun you and they use these moves and especially snow cloak BRRR

King Shield/Protect/Detect and much worse scenario would be toxic and leech seed combine, certain pokemon learn feint or have moves like shadow force which surpass these protectors

Leech seed, don't even think the combo with toxic leech.

Hazard-based moves: spikes, toxic spikes and stealth rocks. Levitate ability and flying-type surpass spikes, but flying/fire/bug/ice and combine with these 2 would be more worse.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Stealth Rock. I don't like Rock-types, and I really don't like the fact that this makes two of my favorite types, Fire and Flying, more useless. It's just such an irritating, overused move, and everytime I see it mentioned, I just want to sock something.

Any moves that cause Confusion, Sleep, or Paralysis as well. I absolutely loathe status effects in video games. They're just these hindering annoyances that make the game harder to play and are too inconsistent/random with their effects. I don't mind Poison/Burn though because these aren't really based on chance so much.

Low accuracy moves. Like another in this thread, I'd rather use Flamethrower than Fire Blast. I don't like the chance or the risk. Also, Focus Blast. So many Pokemon have it as the only Fighting-type move they can use and it's SO unreliable. I wish there was an alternative or that these Pokemon could use Aura Sphere instead.

And recharge moves. Like Hyper Beam, Blast Burn, etc. Especially with Hyper Beam. It was such an awesome move in the anime, one that makes you go: "Oh crap!" This overpowered beast of a move... I really would have loved to use it so much, but that recharge turn is just killer. (It's basically the equivalent of using two 75 base power moves, which sounds considerably lamer) These moves to me are a huge disappointment. I'd like to see these moves receive more utility in the future, particularly since moves are becoming more and more powerful from when Hyper Beam was first created. So I don't think it'd be too overpowered if they had it decrease your stats instead like Close Combat. Either that or just increase the base power. (to 180, perhaps. That way, it's more so like using two Flamethrowers in two turns.)

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Moves that cause poison, confusion, and paralysis are especially pesky as they often appear during the story mode where I didn't purchase Full Heals yet. Alas, I whited out in Viridian Forest because of Poison Sting one time. Also, moves that cause infatuation can be quite as aggravating.... Whitney's Miltank being the bully of my childhood.

I find the Spit Up, Swallow, and Stockpile to be pointless. Also, Embargo and Imprison are always in my wut category. Protect and Detect are super annoying during the Triple battles in Le Wow in X/Y. The trainers are only stalling their demise.

I dislike OHKO moves that maintain 100% and thus destroy you in the battle tower, sigh

Years
    Most of the moves I can name have already been mentioned - confusion, poison, sleep, etcetera. And Sucker Punch as well, that move is a major ambush and really proves to be a threat.

I find the Spit Up, Swallow, and Stockpile to be pointless. Also, Embargo and Imprison are always in my wut category. Protect and Detect are super annoying during the Triple battles in Le Wow in X/Y. The trainers are only stalling their demise.

Well they use Protect to try to keep you from winning in the amount of turns they have you set to... And Stockpile was worthless in Generation III but in IV and later it does boost the defenses at least, i've used that move to alright effect.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    I don't particularly dislike moves, but Bide is up there among the useless moves. What I don't understand is why people believe Swagger to be an 'illegal' move over at smogon. Might as well ban entry hazards while we're at it. They won't even let you use Wobuffet due to shadow tag or other Pokémon that have sand arena (the one where you can't switch out). If one of these Pokémon arrive, you just have to deal with it like any other Pokémon. Choosing which Pokémon to send out against which is a crucial part of battling. Don't hate the game, up your game.

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
    Years
    Protect
    Detect
    Double Team
    Thunder Wave
    Tetter Dance
    Swagger
    Stun Spore
    Supersonic (grrrrrrrr why is it always 100% accuracy for an opponent?)
    I always hate low accuracy moves ( for you it is low accuracy, but for an opponent it is always 100.

Back