• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • Alright so I'll give Rotom Will-o-Wisp Cheers.

Also I see what you're saying about the team and agree with you about Hydreigon and Infernape, but I'm sorry everything you suggested about Aegislash is just wrong. With max bulk investment and as little speed as possible I make use of Shield Forme to set up SD and stall Leftovers recovery. I can get two SD's comfortably if I make a good switch and have Screens up which is enough to put major holes in my enemies team. By foregoing revenge kills altogether and exercising some patience I usually come out with Aegislash still alive.

I don't agree with a defensive spread on SD + King's Shield Aegislash. Even with defensive investment, Blade Forme Aegislash is still defensively weak.

While I did indeed post a defensive Aegislash set, it's designed for defensive teams; it acts as a lure for its counters and cripples them with Toxic.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    what is best moveset for a magnezone that is only lvl 32?

It depends. What game is this Magnezone on, and what TMs do you currently have?

But Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are a couple of decent moves for it.

machupichu18

I like Cereal!
    Years
  • What's the best chain fished shiny compeitive wise, as in which is the best for online battles? Also can you give me a moveset that would go well with it,
    Thanks in advance

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What's the best chain fished shiny compeitive wise, as in which is the best for online battles? Also can you give me a moveset that would go well with it,
    Thanks in advance

Competitively, here are the best Pokemon found by fishing (note that while Politoed can indeed be found by fishing, it's only good with Drizzle; Swift Swim Poliwhirl can be found in the Friend Safari. The same applies to Corphish and Crawdaunt, but with Adaptability instead):

Gyarados:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Earthquake
    -Bite/Stone Edge/Substitute
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 32 HP/252 Atk/224 Spe
    Item: Gyaradosite
    Ability: Intimidate

or
    -Substitute/Taunt
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Earthquake/Bounce
    EVs: 120 HP/64 Atk/100 Def/224 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Earthquake
    -Bounce/Stone Edge
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

or
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Waterfall
    -Dragon Tail/Roar
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef

Starmie:
    -Hydro Pump/Surf
    -Psyshock/Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Natural Cure

Cloyster (you'll need to breed for Rock Blast):
    -Shell Smash
    -Icicle Spear
    -Rock Blast
    -Razor Shell/Hydro Pump
    Nature: Adamant/Naughty/Jolly/Naive
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: White Herb/Lum Berry
    Ability: Skill Link

Kingdra:
    -Focus Energy
    -Draco Meteor
    -Hydro Pump/Surf
    -Agility
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Scope Lens
    Ability: Sniper

or
    -Hydro Pump
    -Draco Meteor
    -Rain Dance/Outrage
    -Waterfall/Surf/Ice Beam
    Nature: Rash/Modest
    EVs: 80 Atk/252 SAtk/176 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Swift Swim

Clawitzer:
    -Water Pulse
    -Aura Sphere
    -Ice Beam/Dragon Pulse
    -Dark Pulse/U-turn
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 164 HP/252 SAtk/92 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Choice Specs

Years
  • I don't agree with a defensive spread on SD + King's Shield Aegislash. Even with defensive investment, Blade Forme Aegislash is still defensively weak.

While I did indeed post a defensive Aegislash set, it's designed for defensive teams; it acts as a lure for its counters and cripples them with Toxic.

I'm never going to be in a situation where I'm being attacked in Blade Forme because King's Shield has priority and with 112 speed there isn't going to be much coming up from behind, unless of course Trick room is up.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm never going to be in a situation where I'm being attacked in Blade Forme because King's Shield has priority and with 112 speed there isn't going to be much coming up from behind, unless of course Trick room is up.
    As I mentioned, Swords Dance + King's Shield is easily played around. That's because it's easy to predict when you'll use King's Shield, and that's right after you attack. The opponent can just set up on you as you use King's Shield, or switch to an appropriate counter.

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2015
    Hi! I'm trying to build a stall Sylveon and I can't decide which EV spread to choose. 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpDef or 4 HP/252 Def/252 SpDef? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hi! I'm trying to build a stall Sylveon and I can't decide which EV spread to choose. 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpDef or 4 HP/252 Def/252 SpDef? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

252 HP/244 Def/12 Spe with a Bold nature is preferred, as it lets Sylveon take advantage of its physically-based resistances; this spread also lets it outspeed Tyranitar. And here's the most preferred defensive Sylveon set:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Hyper Voice
    -Heal Bell/Calm Mind
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/244 Def/12 Spe
    Ability: Pixialte

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I have a Bold Altaria with bad IVs. It's a shiny a friend gave to me with sentimental value, so I still want to use it in battle to its best capabilities, even if it's not the best competitive choice. Egg moves and past generation move tutors are out of the question.

It's current EV spread is 252 HP/252 SpA. I'm thinking of using the combination of Rest/Natural Cure. I thought Life Orb would work well with that combination to heal off, but then it seems counter-intuitive to run max HP for a pokemon holding Life Orb. Should I run EVs in def/spdef, or should I consider another item? I know for a fact I don't want Choice Specs; even though it was recommended by smogon in the previous generation, the influx of fairies makes this sound bad. Not sure what moves I want at all... I have access to HP Steel, although 60 base power is meh.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I have a Bold Altaria with bad IVs. It's a shiny a friend gave to me with sentimental value, so I still want to use it in battle to its best capabilities, even if it's not the best competitive choice. Egg moves and past generation move tutors are out of the question.

It's current EV spread is 252 HP/252 SpA. I'm thinking of using the combination of Rest/Natural Cure. I thought Life Orb would work well with that combination to heal off, but then it seems counter-intuitive to run max HP for a pokemon holding Life Orb. Should I run EVs in def/spdef, or should I consider another item? I know for a fact I don't want Choice Specs; even though it was recommended by smogon in the previous generation, the influx of fairies makes this sound bad. Not sure what moves I want at all... I have access to HP Steel, although 60 base power is meh.

Life Orb is still kind of viable since you can use Roost to heal off the damage. Here's my best bet for a defensive Altaria like this:
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Roost
    -Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    -Toxic/Roar
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Ability: Natural Cure

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I have the first post of page 39!
    bwahahahahah!

Ahem, anyway... A question.
    I was participating in Ratings Battle earlier on my lunch break, and on my last battle, my foe and I were down to our last PKMN: my Sylveon against his Glalie.
    But he kept spamming Sheer Cold.
    Does that move work on online battles where PKMN levels are adjusted to lv50?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I have the first post of page 39!
    bwahahahahah!

Ahem, anyway... A question.
    I was participating in Ratings Battle earlier on my lunch break, and on my last battle, my foe and I were down to our last PKMN: my Sylveon against his Glalie.
    But he kept spamming Sheer Cold.
    Does that move work on online battles where PKMN levels are adjusted to lv50?

It still works, but it's notoriously inaccurate. It only works on Pokemon that are at an equal or lower level than the user.

Years
  • So, the ability Pixilate.
    True or false, Pixilate indeed does boost the power of Normal type moves by 30% as well as converting them to Fairy type. Stacking with the STAB 50% if used by a Fairy type Pokemon.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    So, the ability Pixilate.
    True or false, Pixilate indeed does boost the power of Normal type moves by 30% as well as converting them to Fairy type. Stacking with the STAB 50% if used by a Fairy type Pokemon.
    True. So really, every Normal move gets a 195% boost (I think). If that calculation's not right, all you need to know is 30% does indeed stack with STAB.

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2017
    Flareon. I wanna use one in casual battles with my friends. Most of them only half-heartedly EV train so I thought it might be interesting to mess around with some EV trained, but less initially good Pokemon.

How are his options looking for this gen now that he has Flare Blitz? Is Guts Flareon still a good bet and what sets are looking good?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Flareon. I wanna use one in casual battles with my friends. Most of them only half-heartedly EV train so I thought it might be interesting to mess around with some EV trained, but less initially good Pokemon.

How are his options looking for this gen now that he has Flare Blitz? Is Guts Flareon still a good bet and what sets are looking good?

Be aware that Guts Flareon will wear itself down fast with Flare Blitz and Toxic damage:
    -Flame Charge
    -Flare Blitz
    -Facade
    -Superpower
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Guts

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2017
    Be aware that Guts Flareon will wear itself down fast with Flare Blitz and Toxic damage:
    -Flame Charge
    -Flare Blitz
    -Facade
    -Superpower
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Guts

Hmm. It looks like Superpower is a tutor-only move. Does that mean I can't have it on a Flareon bred in this gen?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Hmm. It looks like Superpower is a tutor-only move. Does that mean I can't have it on a Flareon bred in this gen?
    If you have Black2/White2 and PokeBank you can. Or get one from someone in a trade who does have those things.

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2017
    If you have Black2/White2 and PokeBank you can. Or get one from someone in a trade who does have those things.

I like all my Pokemon to be bred on my own game and I don't want to go through IV breeding on Black2. Is it impossible to get Superpower on it then? Does anyone know if Z will have tutoring?

And if so what are viable alternatives?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back