• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

srinator

To add, this is why Extreme Speed is Dragonite's preferred move over Aqua Jet; both do the same amount of damage on Talonflame (80 base power), but Extreme Speed is preferred for the +2 priority.

Umm aqua jet is 40 base power .-. But yes they do the same damage, aqua jet does a bit more to talon tho obv .

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    how much speed investment (EVs) does slurpuff need to outspeed scarfchomp after unburden?

Slurpuff is kinda irrelevant in OU because it's vulnerable to Scizor and other Steels there, unlike fellow Belly Drummer Azumarill.

In case you want to know, Scarf Garchomp hits 499 Speed. Slurpuff has to be Jolly with 192 Speed EVs to outspeed it; Adamant Unburden Slurpuff can't outspeed Scarf Garchomp no matter what.

Also, use Pokemon Showdown's damage calculator to help look for Speed benchmarks for reference.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    A good Poison-type?

What's a good Poison Pokémon I could consider breeding? If there is a type that could be better what Pokémon should I try to train from that type instead? And what's a good Mega-Evolution Pokémon to have on the team?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    What's a good Poison Pokémon I could consider breeding? If there is a type that could be better what Pokémon should I try to train from that type instead? And what's a good Mega-Evolution Pokémon to have on the team?

Viable Poison Pokemon are Gengar, Mega Venusaur, Scolipede, Nidoqueen and Nidoking (the latter two aren't seen too often in standard play because of their subpar Speed). What Mega Evolution you use depends on the team, IMO. If your team struggles with stall, use Medicham, Mawile or Heracross. If you're playing stall, use Mega Venusaur or defensive Charizard X.

srinator

Don't forget amoonguss, if u like at its stats right away it may not look stellar but it's def worth a slot esp if u want to save up for another mega

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2014
    Tips for my Team?

Hi I'm new to competitive and WiFi battles and I wanted to know if anyone had any tips for my team I don't have anmove sets in mind so far but I have some Pokemon in mind so far my team is Blaziken Klefkey Scizor Cloyster Blissey and Wobbufet any ideas on who to change out and who to replace them with btw O really want to keep wobbufet.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Hi I'm new to competitive and WiFi battles and I wanted to know if anyone had any tips for my team I don't have anmove sets in mind so far but I have some Pokemon in mind so far my team is Blaziken Klefkey Scizor Cloyster Blissey and Wobbufet any ideas on who to change out and who to replace them with btw O really want to keep wobbufet.

If you're playing Pokemon Showdown! OU, Blaziken is an Uber, so you can't really use it. On Battle Spot, it's okay.

Anyway, move sets:

Blaziken:
    -Flare Blitz
    -High Jump Kick/Low Kick
    -Knock Off/Stone Edge/Shadow Claw/Protect
    -Swords Dance/Protect
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Blazikenite
    Ability: Speed Boost

Klefki should abuse Prankster to the fullest. Be aware that it lacks Taunt, unlike fellow Pranksters Tornadus, Thundurus, Sableye and Whimsicott:
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Spikes
    -Fairy Lock/Foul Play/Play Rough
    Nature: Bold/Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Light Clay
    Ability: Prankster

or
    -Spikes
    -Play Rough/Dazzling Gleam
    -Foul Play
    -Thunder Wave
    Nature: Impish/Bold
    Item: Leftovers

The vast majority of Scizor's sets are pulled off best by its Mega Evolution:
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -Knock Off/Superpower/X-Scissor/Bug Bite
    -Roost
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 248 HP/44 Atk/116 Def/108 SDef
    Item: Scizorite
    Ability: Technician

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -Knock Off
    -Superpower/U-turn
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe

or
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower/Brick Break
    -Pursuit/Knock Off
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
    Item: Choice Band

or
    -Bullet Punch
    -U-turn/Superpower/Knock Off
    -Defog
    -Roost
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef

or
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower/Knock Off/Pursuit
    -Roost

Cloyster (if you really insist):
    -Shell Smash
    -Icicle Spear
    -Rock Blast
    -Hydro Pump/Razor Shell
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: White Herb/Lum Berry/Focus Sash
    Ability: Skill Link

Blissey (take note that Chansey does what it can do better because of its better bulk factoring in Eviolite):
    -Soft-Boiled
    -Heal Bell/Aromatherapy/Flamethrower
    -Seismic Toss
    -Toxic/Thunder Wave
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 SDef
    Ability: Natural Cure

This is literally all Wobbuffet can do:
    -Counter
    -Mirror Coat
    -Safeguard
    -Encore
    Nature: Bold/Calm
    EVs: 28 HP/232 Def/248 SDef
    Ability: Shadow Tag

how would build him? as a wall or physical/special sweeper?

What Pokemon are you referring to, exactly?

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2016
    If you're playing Pokemon Showdown! OU, Blaziken is an Uber, so you can't really use it. On Battle Spot, it's okay.

Anyway, move sets:

Blaziken:
    -Flare Blitz
    -High Jump Kick/Low Kick
    -Knock Off/Stone Edge/Shadow Claw/Protect
    -Swords Dance/Protect
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Blazikenite
    Ability: Speed Boost

Klefki should abuse Prankster to the fullest. Be aware that it lacks Taunt, unlike fellow Pranksters Tornadus, Thundurus, Sableye and Whimsicott:
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Spikes
    -Fairy Lock/Foul Play/Play Rough
    Nature: Bold/Impish
    Item: Light Clay

or
    -Spikes
    -Play Rough/Dazzling Gleam
    -Foul Play
    -Thunder Wave
    Nature: Impish/Bold

The vast majority of Scizor's sets are pulled off best by its Mega Evolution:
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -Knock Off/Superpower/X-Scissor/Bug Bite
    -Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/44 Atk/116 Def/108 SDef

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -Knock Off
    -Superpower/U-turn
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe

or
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower/Brick Break
    -Pursuit/Knock Off
    Item: Choice Band

or
    -Bullet Punch
    -U-turn/Superpower/Knock Off
    -Defog
    -Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef

or
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower/Knock Off/Pursuit
    -Roost

Cloyster (if you really insist):
    -Shell Smash
    -Icicle Spear
    -Rock Blast
    -Hydro Pump/Razor Shell
    Nature: Naive/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: White Herb/Lum Berry/Focus Sash
    Ability: Skill Link

Blissey (take note that Chansey does what it can do better because of its better bulk factoring in Eviolite):
    -Soft-Boiled
    -Heal Bell/Aromatherapy/Flamethrower
    -Seismic Toss
    -Toxic/Thunder Wave
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 SDef
    Ability: Natural Cure

This is literally all Wobbuffet can do:
    -Counter
    -Mirror Coat
    -Safeguard
    -Encore
    Nature: Bold/Calm
    EVs: 28 HP/232 Def/248 SDef
    Ability: Shadow Tag

What Pokemon are you referring to, exactly?
    seismitoad, for some reason they moved a thread that i made on it lol

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
    I have a timid Smeargle that I want to use but I can't decide on what entry hazards to give it. Currently it has:
    - Destiny Bond
    - Spore

What other two moves should I give it? Should I replace any of the moves it already has?

I'm considering:
    - Stealth Rock
    - Sticky Web

I was considering toxic spikes, but I have some Pokemon that may want to burn/paralyze the enemy Pokemon.

There's also spikes, but I'm not sure how useful that is? Especially if Smeargle might not be able to survive long enough to lay down all three layers?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    If you can keep the rain up, then make it as a sweeper, though doing a full rain team is hard with the weather nerf. If you're not going with rain, then make it as a tank.

I have a timid Smeargle that I want to use but I can't decide on what entry hazards to give it. Currently it has:
    - Destiny Bond
    - Spore

What other two moves should I give it? Should I replace any of the moves it already has?

I'm considering:
    - Stealth Rock
    - Sticky Web

I was considering toxic spikes, but I have some Pokemon that may want to burn/paralyze the enemy Pokemon.

There's also spikes, but I'm not sure how useful that is? Especially if Smeargle might not be able to survive long enough to lay down all three layers?
    It depends on what the rest of your team is. If its filled with average speed or slow pokes, then Sticky Web will help them stay ahead of the opponent's Pokemon. Stealth Rock is good for teams of faster pokes who love the residual damage it provides that helps them score KOs. I'd use both SR and SW and not go with Spikes, since you often don't need 2 different damaging hazards, not to mention that there's pokes that are unaffected by it.

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
    It depends on what the rest of your team is. If its filled with average speed or slow pokes, then Sticky Web will help them stay ahead of the opponent's Pokemon. Stealth Rock is good for teams of faster pokes who love the residual damage it provides that helps them score KOs. I'd use both SR and SW and not go with Spikes, since you often don't need 2 different damaging hazards, not to mention that there's pokes that are unaffected by it.
    SR and SW sounds good.

I think, at the very least, Crawdaunt will appreciate both. haha
    Thanks.

-
    Edit.
    Okay, another question. I'm thinking of getting a prankster sableye.
    And I can't quite decide if I should get Knock Off over Foul Play?
    Or should I stick with Night Shade?

For the Knock Off variant, I don't think Sableye is going to actually kill anything,
    so I'm thinking giving it a calm nature, and 31/00/31/xx/31/31 IVs.

What I'm thinking:
    - Sableye can rely on burn damage to stall out the Pokemon, so hitting the Pokemon hard might not be really required? (I mean, this is Sableye. It's not going to be hitting that hard in the first place, especially with no attack investment).
    - Giving it the lowest attack possible will help it win against other Foul Play users? (Though, I'm not sure if it can kill Klefki because of draining kiss, if it has it)

Or is it better for the knock off variant to have a careful nature and 31 Atk IV? Or should I opt for Night Shade/Foul Play with a calm nature and 0 atk IV?

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Edit.

For the Knock Off variant, I don't think Sableye is going to actually kill anything,

What I'm thinking:
    - Sableye can rely on burn damage to stall out the Pokemon, so hitting the Pokemon hard might not be really required? (I mean, this is Sableye. It's not going to be that hard in the first place, especially with no attack investment).
    - Giving it the lowest attack possible will help it win against other Foul Play users? (Though, I'm not sure if it can kill Klefki because of draining kiss, if it has it)

Or is it better for the knock off variant to have a careful nature and 31 Atk IV? Or should I opt for Night Shade/Foul Play with a calm nature and 0 atk IV?
    It depends on if you want Sableye to wreck physical set-up sweepers or cripple defensive Pokemon. Foul Play is for the former, Knock Off for the latter. You could also use Night Shade to deal consistent damage to all non-Normal type pokes, but Knock Off or Foul Play is probably better. For the Knock Off one, while its not doing absurd amounts of damage, you'll still want 31 Attack IVs and a Careful nature anyway. No harm in doing that, and you might as well get the most out the attack, right? On a Foul Play one, 0 Attack IVs and Calm is fine. Sableye doesn't resist Foul Play, so having a lower Attack stat helps a bit. Though you don't really wanna keep it in on Klefki.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    A rain sweeping Seismitoad is the only viable set in OU. You still need Politoed to make the most out of it, though:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Earth Power
    -Focus Blast
    -Sludge Wave
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    - Destiny Bond
    - Spore

I'm considering:
    - Stealth Rock
    - Sticky Web

SR and SW sounds good.

I think, at the very least, Crawdaunt will appreciate both. haha
    Thanks.

-
    Edit.

What I'm thinking:
    - Sableye can rely on burn damage to stall out the Pokemon, so hitting the Pokemon hard might not be really required? (I mean, this is Sableye. It's not going to be hitting that hard in the first place, especially with no attack investment).

For Smeragle, I don't think you need Destiny Bond. It's not fast enough to take advantage of it, unlike Gengar and Speed Boost Sharpedo. You're better off with Magic Coat, which, with some prediction, lets Smeargle bounce back status moves that would have hindered it from setting up in the first place:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Sticky Web
    -Spore/Dark Void
    -Magic Coat
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 96 HP/120 Def/40 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Own Tempo

As for Sableye, an Impish/Bold nature is better for it because even with a specially defensive spread, Sableye still struggles with specially offensive Mega Evolutions like Charizard Y and Mega Gardevoir. Knock Off and Foul Play are the generally better options for it because of the former's utility of removing items and the latter's ability to deal with high-Attakc opponents. In the end, it's better to use the move depending on what your team needs.

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
    It depends on if you want Sableye to wreck physical set-up sweepers or cripple defensive Pokemon. Foul Play is for the former, Knock Off for the latter. You could also use Night Shade to deal consistent damage to all non-Normal type pokes, but Knock Off or Foul Play is probably better. For the Knock Off one, while its not doing absurd amounts of damage, you'll still want 31 Attack IVs and a Careful nature anyway. No harm in doing that, and you might as well get the most out the attack, right? On a Foul Play one, 0 Attack IVs and Calm is fine. Sableye doesn't resist Foul Play, so having a lower Attack stat helps a bit. Though you don't really wanna keep it in on Klefki.

Okay, I'll go with knock off and give it the 31 Attack IV.
    Thank you.

For Smeragle, I don't think you need Destiny Bond. It's not fast enough to take advantage of it, unlike Gengar and Speed Boost Sharpedo. You're better off with Magic Coat, which, with some prediction, lets Smeargle bounce back status moves that would have hindered it from setting up in the first place:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Sticky Web
    -Spore/Dark Void
    -Magic Coat

As for Sableye, an Impish/Bold nature is better for it because even with a specially defensive spread, Sableye still struggles with specially offensive Mega Evolutions like Charizard Y and Mega Gardevoir. Knock Off and Foul Play are the generally better options for it because of the former's utility of removing items and the latter's ability to deal with high-Attakc opponents. In the end, it's better to use the move depending on what your team needs.
    Alrighty, thank you. I'll retrain Smeargle to match what you suggested.

As for Sableye, will something like this work? Or should I spread out the EVs between Def and Sp. Def? (120 Def/136 SpD?)
    - Knock Off
    - Taunt
    - Will-o-wisp
    - Recover
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD

I have a special wall that I think can handle what sableye can't stall.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2016
    A rain sweeping Seismitoad is the only viable set in OU. You still need Politoed to make the most out of it, though:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Earth Power
    -Focus Blast
    -Sludge Wave
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Swift Swim

-Stealth Rock
    -Sticky Web
    -Spore/Dark Void
    -Magic Coat

is that with politoed's drizzle ability? So is he really that bad as a wall?

Also should a jolly furfrou be used as a physical attacker/ wall/ or a mix of both?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    is that with politoed's drizzle ability? So is he really that bad as a wall?

Also should a jolly furfrou be used as a physical attacker/ wall/ or a mix of both?

Yes. Gastrodon and Quagsire do the defensive Water/Ground thing better.

Also, Furfrou should be physically defensive to make the most out of Fur Coat. Its offensive move pool is just too shallow for it to do any attacking roles, while its Attack isn't high enough for the same purpose.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2016
    Yes. Gastrodon and Quagsire do the defensive Water/Ground thing better.

Also, Furfrou should be physically defensive to make the most out of Fur Coat. Its offensive move pool is just too shallow for it to do any attacking roles, while its Attack isn't high enough for the same purpose.

I think swampert would prolly be the best, as furfrou what's an ideal moveset for him in competitive play?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I think swampert would prolly be the best, as furfrou what's an ideal moveset for him in competitive play?

Swampert isn't seen often either, mainly because it lacks reliable recovery, unlike Gastrodon and Quagsire. But if you insist:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake
    -Scald
    -Roar/Toxic/Ice Beam
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 240 HP/16 Atk/252 Def
    Ability: Torrent

or
    -Waterfall
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Punch