• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2016
    what is ur ideal moveset for a jolly furfrou?

Ideal moveset for rash yanmega?

Sorry to pick ur brain but you seem to be quite knowlegeable when it comes to online comp.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    what is ur ideal moveset for a jolly furfrou?

Ideal moveset for rash yanmega?

Sorry to pick ur brain but you seem to be quite knowlegeable when it comes to online comp.

Jolly is a no for Furfrou. It's meant to play defensively to take advantage of Fur Coat; it has to use an Impish nature in that case. 102 Speed is rather fast for a wall, anyways:
    -Return
    -U-turn
    -Thunder Wave/Toxic
    -Roar/Cotton Guard
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

Yanmega should be Modest or Timid, as Rash won't seem to do anything. However, you could use Rash if you don't have the patience to breed for a Modest nature:
    -Bug Buzz
    -Air Slash
    -Giga Drain/Hidden Power (Ground/Fire)/Ancient Power/Shadow Ball
    -U-turn/Sleep Talk
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs
    Ability: Tinted Lens

or
    -Bug Buzz
    -Air Slash
    -Giga Drain/Ancient Power
    -Protect
    Nature: Modest
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Speed Boost

Minokun

The Rival in Space
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2019
    Quick question, if you use trick on a Pokémon right after they used their move and gave them a Choice item would it take effect then, or do they have to use their move after you use trick?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Quick question, if you use trick on a Pokémon right after they used their move and gave them a Choice item would it take effect then, or do they have to use their move after you use trick?

If a Pokemon gets Tricked a Choice item on to them, they're forced to use the move they last used upon receiving the item.

Ex: Blissey got Tricked a Choice Scarf and used Aromatherapy. Now it's forced to use Aromatherapy only while it's on the field, unless it switches out.

Minokun

The Rival in Space
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2019
    So if the Poké were to attack first it wouldn't apply would it?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    So if the Poké were to attack first it wouldn't apply would it?

It still applies.

Ex: Mamoswine uses Earthquake on Gothitelle. Gothitelle survives and Tricks its Choice Specs on to Mamoswine. Now Mamoswine is forced to use Earthquake only until it switches out (and that's unlikely, considering that Shadow Tag prevents Mamoswine from switching).

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2016
    Jolly is a no for Furfrou. It's meant to play defensively to take advantage of Fur Coat; it has to use an Impish nature in that case. 102 Speed is rather fast for a wall, anyways:
    -Return
    -U-turn
    -Thunder Wave/Toxic
    -Roar/Cotton Guard
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

Yanmega should be Modest or Timid, as Rash won't seem to do anything. However, you could use Rash if you don't have the patience to breed for a Modest nature:
    -Bug Buzz
    -Air Slash
    -Giga Drain/Hidden Power (Ground/Fire)/Ancient Power/Shadow Ball
    -U-turn/Sleep Talk
    Item: Choice Specs
    Ability: Tinted Lens

or
    -Bug Buzz
    -Air Slash
    -Giga Drain/Ancient Power
    -Protect
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Speed Boost

Protect seems to usually only work one time in a row, is its main benefit to waste the move in hopes of deleting their other individual's pp.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Protect seems to usually only work one time in a row, is its main benefit to waste the move in hopes of deleting their other individual's pp.

Nope, that's not the point of Protect. The chances of Protect failing rises if you use it in succession (multiple times in a row). If you use Protect, then a different move, or if Protect fails, then the Protect is 100% guaranteed. Yanmega and other Speed Boost Pokemon mainly use Protect to guarantee that they get the first Speed Boost.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2016
    Nope, that's not the point of Protect. The chances of Protect failing rises if you use it in succession (multiple times in a row). If you use Protect, then a different move, or if Protect fails, then the Protect is 100% guaranteed. Yanmega and other Speed Boost Pokemon mainly use Protect to guarantee that they get the first Speed Boost.

ah i see, it genius, great for semi speed tier pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    So I've been breeding for a Fennekin and I finally have a 6 I.V Modest Fennekin and it has the Blaze ability. Which would be more useful in battle though, Blaze or Magician? I'm not sure how useful Magician could be so I don't think I should keep breeding.

Years
    So I've been breeding for a Fennekin and I finally have a 6 I.V Modest Fennekin and it has the Blaze ability. Which would be more useful in battle though, Blaze or Magician? I'm not sure how useful Magician could be so I don't think I should keep breeding.

Blaze is the preferred ability here because Magician causes you to have to go into the battle itemless as it makes you steal the opponent's item when you attack it, except for Mega Stones which can't be stolen. In competitive play, you mostly have to stick a held item on a Pokemon to use it effectively and sadly Magician does not cut it here because it means having no item at the start to make use of the item stealing effect.

So, essentially Magician is outclassed by the other options for abilities.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Blaze is the preferred ability here because Magician causes you to have to go into the battle itemless as it makes you steal the opponent's item when you attack it, except for Mega Stones which can't be stolen. In competitive play, you mostly have to stick a held item on a Pokemon to use it effectively and sadly Magician does not cut it here because it means having no item at the start to make use of the item stealing effect.

Ah, thanks, that's what I thought. Another thing is that I'm not sure what Moveset I should give to my Fennekin and what E.V's it should have. It's still level one and it's Modest with 6 I.V's.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years

Ah, thanks, that's what I thought. Another thing is that I'm not sure what Moveset I should give to my Fennekin and what E.V's it should have. It's still level one and it's Modest with 6 I.V's.
    Just saying, a Timid nature is preferred for Delphox, as it 104 Speed is rather decent. Without it, it ties with Timid/Jolly base 90 Speed Pokemon and gets outsped by Timid/Jolly base 91-103 base Speed Pokemon. However, a Modest nature is fine if you're using Choice Scarf:
    -Fire Blast
    -Psyshock
    -Grass Knot
    -Switcheroo
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Blaze

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Just saying, a Timid nature is preferred for Delphox, as it 104 Speed is rather decent. Without it, it ties with Timid/Jolly base 90 Speed Pokemon and gets outsped by Timid/Jolly base 91-103 base Speed Pokemon. However, a Modest nature is fine if you're using Choice Scarf:
    -Fire Blast
    -Psyshock
    -Grass Knot
    -Switcheroo
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Is there any other item I could use that boosts Speed? Or should I rebreed for a Timid Delphox? The problem with rebreeding is I would prefer to have a female Delphox and the gender ratio is 75% Male to 25% Female so it takes a very long time to hatch a female, let alone one that has the right I.V's.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Is there any other item I could use that boosts Speed? Or should I rebreed for a Timid Delphox? The problem with rebreeding is I would prefer to have a female Delphox and the gender ratio is 75% Male to 25% Female so it takes a very long time to hatch a female, let alone one that has the right I.V's.
    There aren't really any other items that boost Speed except for a berry whose name I don't remember, but for that to activate Delphox's HP needs to drop to 25% or less, so that's awfully risky. And tbh, I wouldn't bother re-breeding for a Timid one; breeding for 6 IVs takes forever even with good IV parents. Your Delphox will still do alright, though you may really wanna consider giving it that Choice Scarf.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    So I decided to rebreed for a Timid Fennekin, and I finally got a female Timid Fennekin with 5 I.V's (minus Atk)! Also turns out the gender ratio wasn't 75% Male to 25% Female, it was in fact 87.5% Male to 12.5% Female which made it even worse.

Anyway, so now I've got the right Fennekin, is this still okay?:
    -Fire Blast
    -Psyshock
    -Grass Knot
    -Switcheroo
    Nature: Timid
    Item: [Undecided]

Also, what items will I need to gain Special Atk and Speed from horde encounters? And can I get all of these moves from level-up/TMs?

On another subject, what nature, moveset and E.V split should I have when I breed a Froakie to make into a Greninja?

P.S Am I asking for too much help? I don't want to be annoying.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    So I decided to rebreed for a Timid Fennekin, and I finally got a female Timid Fennekin with 5 I.V's (minus Atk)! Also turns out the gender ratio wasn't 75% Male to 25% Female, it was in fact 87.5% Male to 12.5% Female which made it even worse.

Anyway, so now I've got the right Fennekin, is this still okay?:
    -Fire Blast
    -Psyshock
    -Grass Knot
    -Switcheroo
    Item: [Undecided]

Also, what items will I need to gain Special Atk and Speed from horde encounters? And can I get all of these moves from level-up/TMs?

On another subject, what nature, moveset and E.V split should I have when I breed a Froakie to make into a Greninja?

P.S Am I asking for too much help? I don't want to be annoying.
    Use Choice Specs or Choice Scarf for a Switcheroo Delphox. The former for more power and the latter for more Speed. Up to you.

I'd go to Route 12 to horde-EV train Fennekin.. The Wingull there provide Speed EVs; Mareep provide Special Attack EVs. Switcheroo is one of Delphox's Heart Scale moves. Fire Blast, Psyshock and Grass Knot can be taught to Delphox via TM; the former two are also its level-up moves.

This is the typical Greninja build:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -Extrasensory
    -Dark Pulse/Hidden Power (Fire/Grass)/Grass Knot/Spikes
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Ability: Protean

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Use Choice Specs or Choice Scarf for a Switcheroo Delphox. The former for more power and the latter for more Speed. Up to you.

I'd go to Route 12 to horde-EV train Fennekin.. The Wingull there provide Speed EVs; Mareep provide Special Attack EVs. Switcheroo is one of Delphox's Heart Scale moves. Fire Blast, Psyshock and Grass Knot can be taught to Delphox via TM; the former two are also its level-up moves.

This is the typical Greninja build:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -Extrasensory
    -Dark Pulse/Hidden Power (Fire/Grass)/Grass Knot/Spikes
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Ability: Protean

Thanks, I'm gonna go to Route 12, give Fennekin the Power Lens and fight some Mareep with my Charizard. Will it help to give my Fennekin Pokérus?

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Can anyone give me a good Charizard build? It will be holding Charizardite X, if that makes a difference. I'd like the moveset to include Fly, but don't hesitate to not include it if there is anything better at all. Thank you very much for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back