• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Never Have, Never Will...

Years

• I NEVER WILL...

This has always been an interesting phrase that I have heard on this community. 'Never have drank and I never will...' is an example, no I am not referring to one person on the forum, a lot of people say it.

I have always wondered, how do you know that you will never do what you say? Granted, if it is something in the extreme, then I understand, but normal, everyday things like alcoholic drinks, people say they have never touched them and will never touch them. Not to be condescending, but most people saying that are way under the drinking age anyway. I am not having a rant, I am just interested as to why people say it.

More importantly, let's not stray from the original question and not get drawn to one type of example.
    So, if you have said the 'Never will...' phrase, how do you know?​

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    Yeah, I've used that phrase whenever I'm asked if I smoke. Unless someone drugs me and forces me to, I won't smoke. Nope, I've set a principle in my life, and a part of it is to 'never smoke'. It disgusts me. I wouldn't even try to know how it tastes.

Therefore I'm confident in this phrase, about this matter. I've survived until my 20th year without any temptation to smoke, what makes you think I won't keep it up?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I know when to say "I never will" when I don't really want to do something (like learning a new language).

Years
  • Pretty much like Truality, this is my opinion on smoking. As a child, long before I knew about the health and monetary consequences, I decided that I hate the smell and am never going to smoke. Not even my former love interest could get me to change that opinion, all she achieved when she and some others decided to smoke at her birthday party slightly over 1½ years ago was to disgust me. This might or not be one of the reasons why we never became more than just friends and eventually even stopped being that and by now haven't talked at all for over half a year, but it was worth it. So, now, with 19, I still am the radical non-smoker I always wanted to be as a child. Nice to know I achieved at least that in life.

Can't think of another occassion I used the phrase. Maybe drugs. Unlike tobacco, they do have something fascinating about them, so I'm not sure if I would be as stubborn if I'd have the opportunity to try them. I better should, though.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • omg Fabio, this is totally about me isn't it?

I'm going to stick to the alcohol example because I was one of the people in those threads that said I will never drink - however I've been legally allowed to drink for nearly three years.

The simple answer to your question is: I don't know. I have no idea what the future holds, I don't have psychic powers and my crystal ball has gone missing. But what I do know is that I don't drink and I have my reasons for that, and I don't have any intention to drink in the future. So while it is possible that one day I'll wake up with a hankering to try beer or whiskey, I'm fairly confident in saying that I'll never drink. It's just not something I'm interested in.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I did a little bit of smoking and drinking back when I was younger but I absolutely hated the stuff at the time.

As for other stuff though, well I can't make any promises since I don't know what my future holds.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I use it when I'm asked if I've ever smoked, done drugs, had a pet, or owned any type of small import car. Because I'm confident that I will do none of the above. The pet thing is out of the question because of my awful allergies to them, and the small import car is a no because I just don't roll that way.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • If asked about drugs/alcohol, I know I will never because I never get tempted, and I never fall for other people's tricks. Plus I myself never want to do that stuff anyway.

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    My friends used to always say that they would never drink, only one of them has stuck to her word.
    As for me, the one thing I have always said I will never do is have kids. I might sound like a jerk, but I just cant stand kids at all.

Years
  • When someone says "I will never _______" they don't literally mean it will never happen. What they mean is that it is something that goes against something fundamental to their views and their image of themselves at that moment, and that they wish it would never happen. It's a kind of reinforcing mantra, a kind of positive reinforcement.

So like with me. I say things like "I will never smoke" and "I will never get drunk" because I don't want to do these things and if I didn't try to take a firm stance I think my ability to resist temptation wouldn't be as strong and I'd loose respect for myself.

Years
  • To be honest, these days there aren't many things I'll say I'll never do. As I've gotten older, I've realized that my opinions change, and some things I vowed to never do, I've eventually done. Like at one point in time I said I'd never get drunk and now I love to do it when opportunity arises. -_-;

Right now, the only thing I want to stick to is that I'll never smoke. But that's because I know if I start I'll never stop. We all die, but the health consequences of smoking are pretty bad and I'd like to avoid them.

Years
  • The only two things that I know for a fact I will never do is smoke or give birth, the first is just because I can't even breathe when I go around people that do, so I wouldn't even think about doing it myself. The second is because, well, I'm a male (doesn't mean I won't have kids in the future, though). I've also said in the past that I'll never drink, but in all honesty, if I do than I do, but if I don't, I'm not going feel like I'm missing out.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I absolutely hate it when people say "never have, never will" because yeah you can't tell if it's going to be true or not. A couple of years ago I'd have said "I will never touch any form of drug, not even marijuana" but that didn't work out so well and tbh I can't imagine anything else working either. You can't tell the future, and you can't tell your future self. Saying "I will never" is just saying "I hope I don't" or "I don't think I want to" but trying to make yourself sound more spur srs.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • I never going to smoke tobacco.

I'd say that i'd never smoke at all, but I smoke a joint once a year. And yes, their is a story behind this.

Tomandgreen

The Original Copy-Cat
    Years
  • It's an expression meaning I hope I never will, and it's a promise to ones self to make sure you don't do the thing you don't ever want to do. Like I never will smoke, or do drugs. Not only do I hope those are true, but they currently are, and being 17, I think I can stick to it!

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I try to be careful with the phrase "never have and never will" because I never really know if I actually mean it. For example, there was a time where I would say I had never drank alcohol and never will, but I definitely do now so I'm kind of going back on what I said then. There's never any way for me to know if I'll actually never do something.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I've never used this phrase, because I already know I am open to trying everything and anything

(within reason okay. I'm not going to behead myself)

Actually now I think about it, I'd probably say I'd never try heroin. True, I can't predict the future, but I already know of plenty of drugs to try that aren't as destructive so I don't see why I'd ever resort to heroin. Same principle can be applied to other situations to

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • There are a lot of things that apply to this category of "I never will do this..."

Examples: Drunk driving (let alone drinking - but not 100% sure on that one), being the richest guy in the world, or some other things that's so far-fetched to imagine at this point in time, obviously. (For example, visiting Saturn or something like that).

Back