• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: New items and features announced for Sword and Shield

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • Nature changing! Chugging proteins into your Pokemon at once! Boxes accessible from nigh everywhere! More!

Years
  • So... Doping, basically? Haha.

Jokes aside, the competition is very early. I don't think I'll participate, or even have my starter fully evolved by that time. I like to not gobble up the game all at once, it's much more memorable then.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    These nature changing mints are a most welcome change!

I was hoping to see some new Pokemon, though. Or some old Pokemon that haven't been shown in previous SwSh trailers.

Years
  • Aren't exp candies just rare candies?

Basically. They come in different sizes now (XS, S, M, L and XL and maybe more sizes), an Exp. Candy XL give 30k experience for example.

I won't use them but it's there if someone wants to. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Also, damn @ being able to give a Pokemon multiple vitamins at once. This is a welcome change. I'm happy about that because, honestly, having to select items one at a time was always tedious.

Years
  • Being able to effectively change a Pokemon's Nature is excellent news! As much as I've always enjoyed Pokemon games, I've always felt right from the days of Ruby and Sapphire that "this isn't fun" when soft resetting one-off Pokemon for the right Nature. I like how they've not actually changed the underlying Nature. So you're not like, messing with its brain lol. xD

Egg Moves now being available to existing Pokemon is also excellent news.

Hopefully we can still boost IVs, reset EVs, and change abilities. And hopefully all of these things are re-doable as many times as you want. Although some in-game effort e.g. to get the item you need is fair, it is an RPG after all.

The reason I say this is because, let's say you've just completed the game and you want to make your team competetive or just improve it a bit. In the past, if your Pokemon had the wrong Nature or was missing an Egg Move, you'd have to simply train a new one from scratch. With these changes, you can now just use your existing Pokemon!

Gonna be honest I was a little sad when I saw the chart showing which Pokemon didn't make it into the games, but this news about Natures etc is definitely postitive news imo. :)

Last edited:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    EXP Candies seems to be like a nerfed rare candy to me also neat to have stats boosting items that arent always like protein or zinc, mint is great too to go well with pokemon nature I always wanted to pump some more stat increaser because previous gen doesnt let you bypass it when you hit the limit . Boxes are useful for switching in and out every journey.

Im sure mint is useful for people who are more competitive because stats are important while battling competitively

Last edited:
    Years
  • Like everyone said, the exp candies are going to be a big game changer.

And here I am with my switch lite that can NOT go online boy am I happy I don't have to deal with some messed up drugged up Pokemon oh happy day...for ME! xD

Jokes aside, this is...interesting to say the least. I wonder how the competitive scene is going to be...changed? o_O;

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I like the nature-affecting candies. This will help make random shinies more useful, and will be nice for making in-game teams competition-worthy, which I guess is the rationale. I don't have a great sense of how hard they'll be to obtain (I guess you can get them with BP, but I've become so spoiled by the thousands of BP I've gotten from Bank that I have absolutely no sense of how hard it is to earn BP in game anymore).

Being able to do all of my EV training with vitamins also sounds nice. It looks like you can get to a full 252 EVs (Gengar got 26 Calciums), so that seems promising. I also like the egg move transfer idea.

The Exp candies seem overpowered for my tastes, and the box switching on the go seems like it might make things too easy. But it's nice to have option.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • "Hey, we just leaked the contents of your game and revealed that not even half of the Dex is making it into Sword/Shield!"
    "...mints?"
    In all seriousness, the mints are a handy concept, and the Exp. Candies seem pretty useful for low-level mons.

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
    Years
  • I don't think ev-training needs to be changed that much, it was already made a lot simpler in gen 6 with the mini games, and s.o.s chaining in gen 7. You should have to do at least something for your Pokemon to be perfectly ev-trained, rather than just instantly feed them unlimited protein and iron. So personally I would rather keep the old limit to how many stat-boosting vitamins can be used on a pokemon and still take effect. Since Gen 8 is going to remove the cap then I think supplements at least should not be sold in regular pokemarts anymore, that would be like being able to get as much rare candy as you want to make your whole team level 100 without doing any battle. Protein, zinc, carbos etc should have to be found in the overworld similar to an ether, or maybe purchasable for a significant amount of battle points in the post game facilities like the ability capsule so it isn't abused.

I'd like to have more information about mints. The full article and the Sword and Shield website implicitly stated that "Using a Mint on a Pokémon seems to change these stat-growth patterns! However, a Pokémon's Nature itself won't change even if you use a Mint." I don't know how I would feel about a pokemon with say a docile or gentle nature you caught in the wild becoming adamant or jolly after popping a mint-- that would be pretty broken. However, it sounds like this isn't exactly what happens. Maybe the mint changes the growth pattern by increasing and decreasing certain EVs earned like less sp attack from battles and extra speed evs, or perhaps it's a change to stats in certain categories that's temporary more like when a battle item is used such as X Defense. So I think this could be an interesting mechanic depending on how it's implemented, but am just not sure yet, and would love more detail. Just as long as you don't instantly get effectively any nature you want just from 1 mint, that would be too much.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • With the older generation of players like myself still playing into adulthood and getting real busy with working and real life, this is a good way to keep up.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Damn i wanted the higher chance for gigantamax drednaw to be for sword and not shield xD oh well, hopefully you can obtain it in both games, just presumable harder in shield and vice versa for other mons.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Damn i wanted the higher chance for gigantamax drednaw to be for sword and not shield xD oh well, hopefully you can obtain it in both games, just presumable harder in shield and vice versa for other mons.

The increased chance for Dreadnaw is Sword. Corviknight is Shield.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    UI looks really nice, and having control over natures will save competitive battlers a ton of time, which I think is a good thing. There's less pride that comes with finally catching the right Pokemon with the right nature, but I think it's a fair trade. People's time is more important lol. The XP candies are kinda dumb, I never used to use rare candies because it felt cheap. The fact that you can have an XL candy that will give a level 50 Pokemon 3 levels is kind of absurd. And the egg moves transfering between species is fine. Being able to access boxes from anywhere is a great QOL change and I'm all for it.

Overall pretty excited for the games still. I just wish I could turn off exp share. >:(

Back