• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] New Mega Evolutions?

Years
    I dont think banning the likes of Mega Audino and Mega Absol is going to accomplish much of anything.

Just bring them back post game kinda like they did in Sun and Moon and it'll be fine.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 28
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I honestly hope we're done with Z-moves... Alola Forms should've been Alola's thing and let that be that

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
    Years
    What if Galar has it's own thing and a war with Kalos breaks out. Megas vs the new thing?

I honestly hope we're done with Z-moves... Alola Forms should've been Alola's thing and let that be that

I'd love to see regional forms of maybe Sinnoh Pokemon but no more Z moves ugh

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Definitely agreeing on the Z-Moves those were really not my thing. I wouldn't mind seeing more Mega Evolution or, like someone said, another kind of Evolution. And if it ties to Kalos somehow even better I'd love to see more tie-ins between regions and Galar / Kalos would be perfect.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I also hope Z-moves don't make a comeback. I was neither here nor there about Megas personally, when the idea was first introduced I completely detested it but it kind of grew on me in a way. I'm not sure whether or not we'll see Mega evolutions in Gen 8 but if we do I imagine the starters will have their own.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2022
    please Mega pegasus Rapidash!
    Please Mega Blue Dragonite
    please mega Narwhal Wailord!
    please Mega LLama Gogoat

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Mega Evolution I can see coming back, but I don't think Z Moves will. Mega Evolution is far too popular to never come back and we need to remember, we did technically get 2 Mega Evolutions in Gen 7. Ash-Greninja and Ultra Necrozma. They were called different things, but they still had the same basis.

I could see them doing that again, but calling it something different.

Z-Moves, I don't think people really liked the idea to start with and I don't think it caught on like Megas. I personally hate Z-moves. I liked using them to finish big battles, but that is about it.

LatchoDives23

Official Nicktoons Fan of the Boards
    Years
    I doubt it. Gen VII had no new Megas, so there's probably nothing new here, either.

I do hope for a Dragon-type Eeveelution though.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I doubt it. Gen VII had no new Megas, so there's probably nothing new here, either.

I do hope for a Dragon-type Eeveelution though.

Technically they did have 2 new Mega Evolutions, they just weren't called that. We had Battle Bond Greninja and Ultra Necrozma which were basically the same concept, even confirmed, in the anime that there were basically the same thing.

Not only that, but the outcry of not having a good way to get Megas in SM forced them to add better means of adding Mega Evolution in USUM. And then they added Megas that they could to LGPE that was probably a last minute change because they knew people would be upset if there were no megas at all.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I think they would have shown it in the trailers.
    Siding with IcyIce here. Besides, this was only the first trailer - they would definitely want to hold a lot of the features until later, particularly with a possible 9-10 month wait between now and game release. They will really have to pace themselves. (Also personally I wish we get less info than say what SM did pre-release).

I reckon they could, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't though. There's definitely scope for it, but I wonder if they'll try yet another gimmick and hence focus on that instead.

Last edited:

LatchoDives23

Official Nicktoons Fan of the Boards
    Years
    If there WERE going to be new megas (which I doubt), I'd want these:
    - Mega Magnezone
    - Mega Samurott
    - Mega Serperior
    - Mega Hydreigon
    - Mega Weavile
    - Mega Arcanine
    - Mega Noivern
    - Mega Skarmory
    - Mega Crobat
    - Mega Machamp
    - Mega Togekiss

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I've never been terribly enthusiastic about megas. It's a novelty but not something I see standing the test of time throughout future generations. If I had to choose though, I'd like to see more of the starters get megas. But I honestly think Game Freak is going to withhold mega evolution this gen to shoehorn a different gimmick in.

Years
    If there WERE going to be new megas (which I doubt), I'd want these:
    - Mega Magnezone
    - Mega Samurott
    - Mega Serperior
    - Mega Hydreigon
    - Mega Weavile
    - Mega Arcanine
    - Mega Noivern
    - Mega Skarmory
    - Mega Crobat
    - Mega Machamp
    - Mega Togekiss

They should also add Zangoose and Seviper, they have a potetinal. :)

Years
    I'd love some new ones, but all those pokedex entries in S/M seem to imply that mega-evolution is a terrible thing, lol. Who knows?

Yeah. I'm actually glad about that, I never liked Mega Evolutions or those other weird new gimmicks - they're all just innovation for the sake of innovation, without regard to the actual impact on the games.

I hope there is going to be some sideline in the story about Mega Evolution becoming illegal due to research confirming that it's unhealthy for the Pokemon or something. That way there's a believable story why it's not there anymore, but we won't have to deal with it anymore.

Honestly though, I don't like the chances of them coming up with a new gimmick that's even worse than Mega Evolution and Z-moves combined...

Years
    I think they're trying to bring a classic mechanic... and that my friends is the Stadium.. I mean when was the last time we actually had a stadium to fight in.. that's my theory. Maybe flygon will get his mega who knows. All we can do is wait and see 😎

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    I'd love for new ones to appear but I don't think they will. Seems weird to skip a generation only to make them return.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
    I never really liked the concept and wouldn't mind if Game Freak just forgot about them (in the sense of not even having them available), but at least I did like some designs like Ampharos or Altaria. I'd just prefer if they made new cross-generational evolutions or even regional variants (even if except for Vulpix, Ninetales, and to a lesser extent Raichu, Grimer, and Muk I found most of their designs horrible) instead.

Back