• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New mode of transport? Is it time they scrapped the bike?

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
  • Since Generation I, the mode of transport was a bicycle, it's fast and reliable, but is it time they changed it up a little? I remember reading that in Generation II that there was a skateboard planned which would allow the player to travel to "unusual places", but it was scrapped. Generation III introduced the running shoes, which are quite useful. In X and Y they changed it up a bit and gave us roller skates, but they got annoying. Do you think it's time they got rid of the bike and replaced it with more modern modes of transport, like Segways or those Hoverboards, or do you think they should bring back the skateboard idea and use it?

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think the Bike is a staple to the games and will always be an alternative method of transport. There's nothing stopping them from having new methods of transport coexisting with other methods to make it more of an optional choice.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Segways?... hum... not cool.
    Hoverboards?.. Would be nice, but I think we're not ready yet.
    Skateboard is an interesting idea, but GF should be careful because this could end up like roller skates in X/Y, or Tony Hawk's games (which is an interesting idea too :D ).

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • I'm totally cool with the idea of the bike staying but if they do decide to scrap it then I'd be really interested in what they replace it with.

I agree with the rollerskates too. I see why people think it's just a small thing but it's gotten to the point where I just use the D-pad so I don't have to see my character on blades. I think it's minor but I just prefer the animation of walking/running. It just feels more satisfying to me I guess, hahaha.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure the bike will stay. I don't see why it won't. They might change it a bit like they did in gen3.
    I want to see the rolerblade gone, or at least as an item we can turn off.

Years
  • Like Blue said, the bicycle is a staple of the Pokemon games and will still likely remain the protagonist's main mode of transport for generations to come.

Years
  • Personally, I prefer the roller skates over the bicycle (which I don't think I've used since Gen III), but I don't see them or any equivalent coming back for Sun and Moon. Multiple islands or not, Alola doesn't seem big enough to really need them. We'll probably end up with the bike yet again.

poop face

currently playing crystal ♡
    Years
  • Segways? I can only imagine all the Paul Blart memes to come out of that.

I honestly really liked the rollerblades, yeah, sure they were kind of fluky due to the circle pad, but I'm sure if they're going to put them in this game, they'll fix it

I feel like if anything, they might add a skateboard.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    I feel like if anything, they might add a skateboard.

Exactly my first thought when I read the thread title. Every time I'm at a beach, there's plenty of people riding longboards/skateboards. Plenty of people on bikes too, but skating would be a cool alternative. I also wouldn't mind a surfing mini game, like Pikachu's beach, just for fun.

jappo

[b]Thank you for being you![/b]
    Years
  • I hope they atleast keep the option of traveling with a bike, maybe combine it with a different option thats only different in aesthetics, and make it like a skateboard! That way everyone is happy :)

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    I don't think the skates will be back due to the change in camera makes it look like they'd have issues getting precise movement on skates - the base running speed seems pretty fast right now, but with the change in appearance the maps are probably larger relative to the player too.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2017
    The bike is fine however I do want the stick to be the one that activates it like the roller skates in x and y, just for less annoyance. They also would be able to keep the sneaking up on a pokemon mechanic by just normal walking, would be faster and removes the annoying crawl.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • Depending on how much water Alola has, I can see a surfboard in addition to the bike if they actually decide to give alternatives to HMs. Surf would most likely stay, but just in case you didn't want a Surfing Pokemon on your team, you could literally surf. It may look weird since the surfboards don't really function like that, with the movements being controlled so easily, but that may be the drawback to it: Surf in control with a Pokemon or ride the waves with a surfboard.

As for on-land travel, I'm going to assume the bike stays, but the Roller Skates will probably be changed (if they stay) to an item like the bikes so they're optional.

MissedtheMarx

The People's Battler
    Years
    • US
    • Seen May 15, 2016
    I wouldn't like a segway honestly xD But I think it would be cool if you could ride fast Pokemon all over the region, kind of like with Skiddo's evo in Kalos, but just be able to go anywhere. I think that would be a cool replacement for the bike, but a skateboard would also be neat. I don't see a difference between having a skateboard vs. having rollerblades tbh though

jappo

Years
  • I wouldn't like a segway honestly xD But I think it would be cool if you could ride fast Pokemon all over the region, kind of like with Skiddo's evo in Kalos, but just be able to go anywhere. I think that would be a cool replacement for the bike, but a skateboard would also be neat. I don't see a difference between having a skateboard vs. having rollerblades tbh though

Imagina your character riding a 'dolphin like pokémon' from Island to Island. I want that.

MissedtheMarx

The People's Battler
    Years
    • US
    • Seen May 15, 2016
    Yes! Having a cool animated sprite to make surfing more fun. I hope that the player character will have all sorts of cool islands to explore.

jappo

Years
  • Yes! Having a cool animated sprite to make surfing more fun. I hope that the player character will have all sorts of cool islands to explore.

Combine it with tides, and some area's are only avaidable for you and your dolphin at certain times of day/under certain weathers. Give it a really happy and melow music, like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzUPVXPMzwI

and I am 100% sold.

MissedtheMarx

The People's Battler
    Years
    • US
    • Seen May 15, 2016
    Yeah, and give your dolphin Pokemon a few tricks and manuevers like Latios/as in ORAS had for a little added fun!

Back