• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricScyther

The lessons we learn
    Years
    Okay, okay. Reshiram is a fire type, so I'm backing down on the Light type thing for good. But I still think we'll see some new types. What about Sound? Think Loudred! I also think there will be a Time type and a Parasitetype. Look at that Gear pokemon come on!
    And Ravecat, I really think you should stop posting in this thread. All you really do is making people feel like idiots and criticize them.

SargeantMajorKururu

Loves Pokemon Black
    Years
    Like the idea...

Like the idea of Sound. Uproar, Perish Song, Supersonic, Hyper Voice, Sing, Chatter, these are just a few attacks that could be Sound.

XxRogueTrainerxX

Needs a better username
    Years
    This may be a little too harsh for the Pokemon saga... but I was thinking of a Blood-type. New moves such as Blood Fang would be interesting. Actually, this idea sounds dumb and possibly a little scary, since some Pokemon gamers are little kids. But it's the thought that counts.

Thunderhead

Ride the Lightning
    Years
    Dunno if I said this, but I think that Psychic works are the "Light" Type.

Think about it, Umbreon is the dark eevee, and its paired with the psychic eevee Espeon.

Also, Sound is the best idea for a type so far.

Dark, Ghost, Psy, Steel, Water, and Dragon are the strongest types in my honest opinion. Sound would be able to hurt ghosts, hurt water (as sound is louder underwater), and maybe hit some psycos here and there.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    Dunno if I said this, but I think that Psychic works are the "Light" Type.

Think about it, Umbreon is the dark eevee, and its paired with the psychic eevee Espeon.

Well, if you think espers are the opposite of/the companion to evil entities, then sure -- Psychic is the Light-type. Though I do see your point, wherein the Psychic-type is found where you'd expect to find the Light-type.

Perhaps what is needed is a closer understanding of what the Japanese think of evil and an esper.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I like the idea of a glass/crystal type. It's not gonna happen but it sounds cool. Also, I'll have to agree with ravecat and his grammar. He was right.

Also, also:
    Come ON. A light type is in B/W. I guarantee it.
    Based on Reshiram's appearance, though, I agree it'll most likely be "good" to balance the Dark type. (Finally! Good vs. Evil conflict!)
    And like I said before, (in my last post here) the Light type will be included with like an angel pokemon. Fact.
    Thre are going to be light types in Gen. V, point-blank.
    Of course, I never said there will be about 500 of them. And, once again, they balance out the Dark type, so they'll be a new type in B/W.
    And if I'm wrong, you can eat my sig.

lol wut?

Years
    we cant have glass type because of the way the japanese pronounce their l's they would think it's grass type instead and get confused

Grass = くさ -- kusa, the Japanese word for grass
    Glass = ガラス -- garasu, a transliteration of the English word "glass," but with a "ga" instead of a "gu" for unknown reasons.

Believe me, the only people to confuse the types would be English speakers with 2nd-grade reading levels. :cross-eye

I LOLed a bit at the Computer type, especially since it was weak to bugs. Way to add some humor to a thread that has taken itself entirely too seriously. I just think that it would also obviously be weak to Electricity, since surges can fry circuits. It should be weak to Normal too, since "normal" computer users (read: anyone over 30) can screw up computers more than I ever thought possible. -__-#

I've seen a couple of people throw out the idea for a Space/Alien type. What would that include? Same with Sound. I threw the idea for Sound out myself about 10 pages ago, but I let go of the idea to focus on Light and Glass, which sounded really interesting and viable to me.

dithyrambos said:
    Well, if you think espers are the opposite of/the companion to evil entities, then sure -- Psychic is the Light-type. Though I do see your point, wherein the Psychic-type is found where you'd expect to find the Light-type.

Perhaps what is needed is a closer understanding of what the Japanese think of evil and an esper.

Espers, or those with psychic powers, are seen in an arcane way. They could be either good or bad, depending on who is using the powers. It is very much a gray area, kind of like the word "monster" itself (from which we get "Pocket Monsters"). Mosters are not seen as bad. They are "bakemono" -- literally "changed or enchanted things." Special designations are needed to make either espers or monsters "good" or "bad". So, in a purely linguistic way, psychic and dark are not opposites of each other. Personally, I understand where people think that psychic and light fill the same role, but I see Psychic more as an in-between step between Dark and Light.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I've seen a couple of people throw out the idea for a Space/Alien type. What would that include? Same with Sound. I threw the idea for Sound out myself about 10 pages ago, but I let go of the idea to focus on Light and Glass, which sounded really interesting and viable to me.

Espers, or those with psychic powers, are seen in an arcane way. They could be either good or bad, depending on who is using the powers. It is very much a gray area, kind of like the word "monster" itself (from which we get "Pocket Monsters"). Mosters are not seen as bad. They are "bakemono" -- literally "changed or enchanted things." Special designations are needed to make either espers or monsters "good" or "bad". So, in a purely linguistic way, psychic and dark are not opposites of each other. Personally, I understand where people think that psychic and light fill the same role, but I see Psychic more as an in-between step between Dark and Light.

Ah, I see. I see. Thank you! So the Japanese' idea of an esper is pretty much the same as an American's idea, correct? With that interpretation, the Psychic-type does make more sense as the "in-between" step betwixt the Dark-type and fan-made Light-type.

I've also seen people relate the Fighting-type to the Light-type. They say that the Japanese think these are the good guys; The heroes in a world where the Dark-types are the villains. What do you think of this? I... completely reject the idea, but I'm not really sure why. One reason may be because "fighting" is such a broad term. Anyone can fight, both evil and good. But, eh... I don't know much to expound upon that. :/

The Space-type sounds like something they might have introduced in GenIV. It sounds very interesting, more so than the Sound-type imo. The Pokemon in this category would probably be Pokemon that aren't completely understood.... Perhaps they could be the ???-type?

Side note: I like the names Arcane-type and Esper-type more than Psychic-type. I would have loved it if either of these made it into the English games.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    See, here's the catch: This is Pokemon and not Final fantasy. I'm in no way and in no position trying to insult anyone's position or anything(rather just attempting to make a point), but rather saying that's really unlikely since...the idea would fit more towards something that's final fantasy-sque, see what I mean?

You do see Espers and, if I'm correct, Arcane(or Arcana) in Final Fantasy, if not some other game tied to it, so I doubt they would make their way to a Pokemon game. .-.

But it actually is called Esper (esupaa)-type in Japan. D: I believe it was changed for American audiences only because psychic is a more common term for it. I see your point, though. There's also the fact that people wrongly associate espers with the monsters that you summon in FF games, but really an esper is someone with psychic abilities. The espers in FF aren't even real espers by definition because they don't posses paranormal abilities.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    So your suggestion of an Esper-type is basically a renamed Psychic type or something? .__. Since you said(unless I misunderstood, by some chance) that it was originally esper and that it underwent a name change of some sort to become more familiarized with Americans.

A ha, yeah. That's all I meant. In Japan, some of the Pokemon types are actual Japanese words (like honno taipu for Fire-type and genki taipu for Electric-type). But others, like the Normal-type, are Japanized English words (noomaru taipu). Then there's the esupaa-taipu, which is the Japanized way of saying Esper-type.......... but here in the US it's called psychic. :/ I think it's kinda lame.

I can see how someone could misunderstand my original post! Sorry about that. I just think esper sounds cooler than psychic. :P

Years
    Yeah, I love the word "arcane" too. It just feels so nice coming off the tongue. :P <--- WARNING! Word Geek!

And I was floored when I realized that Espers game from ESP-ers (ESP = extrasensory perception). I had always thought of it as a FFVI/XII term too!

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    But when it really comes down to it, what 10-year old would understand what an esper-type was? I'm thinking that Nintendo sorta kept it pretty simple for a reason and just decide not to complicate everything. Sure, it may sound "cooler" but what matters is what makes more sense to the public, yeah?

Yah, I agree with you there. And that's yet another great reason as to why there was a name change. I mostly blame myself, rather than getting upset with Nintendo, for being so obsessed with mystic/esoteric/paranormal things. I'm not completely upset by it, though. I'm not a huge Psychic-type user.

SargeantMajorKururu

Loves Pokemon Black
    Years
    Mmmmm....

I love the taste of ElectricScyther's signature.

But seriously, I think that Game Freak should look at some of the fan thoughts. Sound Type is a very good idea and should be included. But they probably don't look at these anyways...

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Well, I'm still holding out for a Light-type, despite the Light-esque Reshiram being revealed as Dragon/Fire... For some reason, I was wondering whether the ???-type or Shadow-type should be implemented as an actual type, instead of being restricted to the move Struggle. I figure some Pokemon should be ???-type, because some Pokemon, IMO, seem way too strange to merely be Psychic-types (i.e., Deoxys)

As for the Shadow-type, instead of the version featured in Colosseum and XD, I think it should be an newly revamped type to couple the potential introduction of the theoretical Light-type, so that both have a yin-yang relationship. But I think Dark and Ghost would cover 'Shadow'...

Arrgh...I really want a Light-type, but Reshiram is making the possibility seem less likely...maybe he'll be able to learn Light-type moves? (similar to how Lugia is not of the Water-type, but represents the sea and utilizes Water-typed moves)... :D

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    ^ I'd say to be honest it makes the concept of the light type and so forth's chances of occuring basically naught. After all, IF there would be such a light type with the who ying/yang thing (which has been to be confirmed what the legendaries are about) then surely one of them would be light type if that's the theme. Yet....it isn't. =/

I just don't see Light Type at all now (not that I have really to begin with tbh, let alone any new type). =P Not that it'll stop other people speculating about it still, so have fun with that I guess? ;P As I've said before though, this Light Type business occurs every gen (apparently even 2nd gen), and yet it has never happened. Why now then, especially when the ying-yang themed Pokemon are dragon + electric/fire?

As for the ??? type.... eh, I doubt that'll see a type too. That's just for Curse given it's nature, and Arceus only so the game doesn't break if hackers try to change the type to ??? one way or another. Shadow type... ghosts and dark types kinda already overlap it imo in the way you're suggesting it as you said (and again - said legendaries do not involve either of those types anyways - electric and fire, plus dragon meaning they're both strong and weak to each other).

Last edited:

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    ^YES, yes, and yes. Once their types were revealed that pretty much killed the momentum the light type supporters had in their arguments. =]

I love the taste of ElectricScyther's signature.

But seriously, I think that Game Freak should look at some of the fan thoughts. Sound Type is a very good idea and should be included. But they probably don't look at these anyways...

But he guaranteed there'd be a light type =/ ........lmao

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Agreeing with bobandbill. Frankly, if they didn't insert light-type this generation (which is a near-perfect opportunity), it's hard to see it happening in the future. (And they missed out on the perfect legend too, ouch)

I feel bad for light-type fans though, they get their hopes up every time (almost ritual-like), just to get kicked in the gut. =/

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back