• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • The great thing about Pokemon's system is that it can handle additions without becoming unstable or imbalanced. Someone brought up Sableye and Spiritomb. That is a great point. To have a type combination that leaves one with zero weaknesses shows that the system, while stable and established, is not perfect. A new type would definitely help that.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I think a light type would be a good idea... somthing to bring down dark types with :D Maybe the ledgendery for white! Or it could be somthing like phychic/fire or somthing...

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • Firstly,

Just as long as we understand each other bro.

Appreciate it =]

Thank you. I just wanted us to be on the same page here. It is not neccesary, but nice.

Now onto bobandbill:

And since were dark types overpowered?

I JUST SAID THEY WEREN'T. Dark types have NEVER been overpowered. NEVER. Fighting destroys them, they destroy Psychic.

And onto another point - changing previous pokemon's types, which;d be just odd and throw people into a loop. Lanturn is no longer Water/Electric but... Water/Light? But it's been established for over 10 years that it's Water Electric! Does this mean every other electric type (seeing electricity gives off light) becomes a Light type as well? As said, it was ok to change a few into Steel types (namely Magnemite) in 2nd gen because the games were relatively new, but now it's more a problem of 'it's too late without screwing up the well-established canon'.

*rubs temples in frustration*

Okay, I'm sorry, but that's stupid. I'm not trying to flame, I'm not saying that YOU are stupid, I'm saying that Idea is stupid. Why would I suggest changing all Electric Types to Light? That's like changing all Ice Types to Snow or changing Ghost Types to Dark. I picked those Pokemon specifically for the fact that they have been referred to as Beacon like. For god's sake, an Ampharos lives in a Lighthouse and provides LIGHT for the LIGHTHOUSE!!!

I appreciate your constructive criticism, I really do. And I understand if you don't want a Light Type. But that was rediculous.

Can't say I'm convinced by your claim that you've played all of those games and know everything about Pokemon tbh, just saying. =/ Some mistake here and there and all...

I never said I knew everything about Pokemon. Hell, that's mentally impossible even for Satoshi-Sensei. But I do know a great deal about the principles and precise Type-Mathematics that go into it.

And tbh... that system there sounds complicated to me simply because it doesn't make much sense to me. =/ Why are those types strong against a light type? Rock strong against Light types...why? Or Water types? =//

I figured in the strange Rock/Paper/Scissors system of Pokemon that Rock would cover Light, and Light would pass through Water (Well now that I think about it, that would give Water immunity to Light).

Another thing bobandbill: How many smileys do you have to use?!? I saw seven in that one post!

Anyways, you asked questions and I answered.

I hope that cleared things up for you.

With all regards,

-ChrisTom

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    To be honest, I don't think we need any more types. As far as I'm concerned, Steel and Dark types put the bow on the type package, sealed it, and sent it away to never be touched again. I feel that the implementation of more types could just cnofuse things greatly.

In saying that you could contradict the statement by saying that Johto/GSC implemented new types. However, since GSC we've had two more regions and Isshu being the 4th. It'd be a little late in the game to be adding more things. I doubt that Gamefreak would change the gameplay, the look, the feel of a pokemon RPG and change the mechanics. It'd be very risky and I can imagine some complaints shooting their way if there were to be an implementation of the new types.

I'm not just being cynical and shooting down the possibility though, I just really cannot see it happening nor do I want it to to be honest. Light type would be a little cheesy and a little obvious, every type has it's own counterpart as it stands, i don't think we need to throw something in to upset the balance. Not to mention all the new moves that would make it even more complicated to trade with the 4th Gen -which I think is going to be possible iirc-.

Bunny69

Serious Buisness
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2010
    Light, super effective against: Dark, Ghost.
    Is uneffective against: Fire, Grass, Normal
    Uneffective by: Ghost, Fire, Psychic.
    Super effective by: Dark.

Seems the most logical to me. Poison could be thrown anywhere in to give it a bit bigger of a role.

Here's what I think:

Types super effective on Light: Grass, Rock
    Types that Light resist: Light, Water, Dark, Ghost , Bug
    Types Light is Super Effective on: Dark, Ghost, Water ,Ice
    Types Light is Not Very effective on: Fire, Light, Dragon, Rock, Ground
    Types That Are Immune to Light: Grass

Makes sense, sonsidering Grass absorbs Light and uses it for energy..

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I JUST SAID THEY WEREN'T. Dark types have NEVER been overpowered. NEVER. Fighting destroys them, they destroy Psychic.
    Then what is the benefit to the game to have Dark type weak to something else>

*rubs temples in frustration*

Okay, I'm sorry, but that's stupid. I'm not trying to flame, I'm not saying that YOU are stupid, I'm saying that Idea is stupid. Why would I suggest changing all Electric Types to Light? That's like changing all Ice Types to Snow or changing Ghost Types to Dark. I picked those Pokemon specifically for the fact that they have been referred to as Beacon like. For god's sake, an Ampharos lives in a Lighthouse and provides LIGHT for the LIGHTHOUSE!!!
    That's good you think it ridiculous - so do I. =P But that's th point I am driving at - which electric types would everyone believe would deserve to become a Light type? Looking at things, Ampharos could have been another Pokemon (say Electrbuzz) and would fit just fine in a lighthouse, and so could every other Pokemon. At best the decision of what becomes what would be a Light type wouldn't make sense for many people. (Personally I don't agree that Ampharos should become one just because in a game it sat in a lighthouse... does that mean that Rhydon which learns Surf in GSC by the guy who gave you that HM should be a Water type? Silly idea, but in essence it's similar to what you are saying with Ampharos!)

That and there's the whole 'changing canon after 4 generations' thing in changing old Pokemon to a new one.

And no need to act all angry in posts either... e..g 'I'm angry and you're not stupid the idea is'. There had been sarcasm there which was why the idea was stupid as it was a deliberate exaggeration. =P
    I never said I knew everything about Pokemon. Hell, that's mentally impossible even for Satoshi-Sensei. But I do know a great deal about the principles and precise Type-Mathematics that go into it.
    And yet you sai Dragon types were only weak to Ice and Steel types had high special defence, and you did boast earlier about all the games you played implying that you kow your stuff (not neceessarily all, but a lot, which I would hav assumed meant knowing those things...). And tbh knowing precise type-mathematics... as really little to do with this topic anyway. =/
    I figured in the strange Rock/Paper/Scissors system of Pokemon that Rock would cover Light, and Light would pass through Water (Well now that I think about it, that would give Water immunity to Light).
    ...tbh I don't quite follow-why Rock and not other types then? Steel reflects light, no? And the other types mentioned?
    Another thing bobandbill: How many smileys do you have to use?!? I saw seven in that one post!
    A lot. =P
    Anyways, you asked questions and I answered.

I hope that cleared things up for you.
    Not exactly - there's still a lot in my post you didn't actually acknowledge at all. =/ But I gtg now so this post shall be hurried.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Here's what I think

Light Type:
    Spoiler:

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • No more type, please. And if you must make a new type Nintendo, please don't let it be Light. Can you say electric, which equals electricty, which makes things light up?

Charizard632

Now a great Touhou addict
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jul 6, 2012
    I've got a new type!

Hero Type

Great Against- Dark, Dragon, Poision
    Bad Against- Hero, Fighting, Steel, Ghost, Psychic
    Super Effective- Fighting, Bug
    Not Very Effective- Ghost, Flying, Dragon

Usual Traits

HP- Moderete
    Attack- Low
    Defense- High
    Special Attack- Medium-High
    Special Defense- Medium-High
    Speed- High

PalkiaSpace

Panda Hugger <(^_^)>
    Years
  • In just about EVERYBODY's post I've seen the same, thing; "The ONLY reason Dark and Steel were made in Gen 2 was to balance out the crazily overpowered Psychic type." We get that, but Dragon types Dominate the OU, so a Light-Type that can counter thoses pesky dragons can balance them out. I believe dark=light. so Dark type is super effective on light, and light is super effective on dark. even. ghost, psycic, and fighting just do normal damage, like water to Psychic.Light would be week to poison and bug, and I've also seen people go against that by saying this: "But that makes no sence, like saying electric should be super effective on bug!" but seriously, do half the type matchups even make sence? why would a caterpie be super effective on a umbreon? bug>dark is the matchup that makes no sence. So it wouldnt matter. it would give 2 lower tier types a chance in at least UU! light can be super effective on steel JUST BECAUSE lol. Like others have said, it does make sence to introduce it now, dark vs light, hello, the games are black and white! ying yang!

Sorry for the rant and some improper spellings, i typed this up while cooking lol

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    While I can see the point you're trying to make I still have to disagree. Dragons don't dominate the OU. They are among the strongest (there's no doubt about that) but by no means do they alone dominate the OU. Because by your standards then I guess Scizor, Metagross, Tyranitar, Blissey, etc, etc. are all dragons right?

PalkiaSpace

Panda Hugger <(^_^)>
    Years
  • While I can see the point you're trying to make I still have to disagree. Dragons don't dominate the OU. They are among the strongest (there's no doubt about that) but by no means do they alone dominate the OU. Because by your standards then I guess Scizor, Metagross, Tyranitar, Blissey, etc, etc. are all dragons right?

Oh, wow, I completely wasn't thinking. You're right, i wasn't thinking of any of them xD Sorry 'bout that.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Nah it's okay, but let's not forget about those ever-common ice attacks either. All dragons (except for Kingdra, Latios, Latias, etc.) are 4x weak to ice so yeah. They're amazing and all but suffer from that nasty ice type xD

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • ^ ^ ^

Thank you. I prefer that saying of "I don't like it/don't think it'll be in the games" then what bobandbill has done. You were straight, simple and to the point.

Yeah I hate it when I'm proved wrong too.

In just about EVERYBODY's post I've seen the same, thing; "The ONLY reason Dark and Steel were made in Gen 2 was to balance out the crazily overpowered Psychic type." We get that, but Dragon types Dominate the OU, so a Light-Type that can counter thoses pesky dragons can balance them out. I believe dark=light. so Dark type is super effective on light, and light is super effective on dark. even. ghost, psycic, and fighting just do normal damage, like water to Psychic.Light would be week to poison and bug, and I've also seen people go against that by saying this: "But that makes no sence, like saying electric should be super effective on bug!" but seriously, do half the type matchups even make sence? why would a caterpie be super effective on a umbreon? bug>dark is the matchup that makes no sence. So it wouldnt matter. it would give 2 lower tier types a chance in at least UU! light can be super effective on steel JUST BECAUSE lol. Like others have said, it does make sence to introduce it now, dark vs light, hello, the games are black and white! ying yang!

Sorry for the rant and some improper spellings, i typed this up while cooking lol

Though really, Dragons aren't dominant because of their typing, it's more because of their stats (and access to moves like Dragon Dance, Outrage and Draco Meteor.) I mean, from bulbapedia, "The Dragon-type is statistically the best type, as its average fully evolved stat never goes below base 95." The averages are

Spoiler:

That's pretty freaking strong. And the tiers are fan made and really not very pokemon was meant to be good. That's why you can catch caterpie's early on but not Larvitar.

Also ChrisTom, light refracts in water but it doesn't dissapear it just slows down. It's only at deep depths of the ocean can the human eye not see light. Also light is such an easily manipulated thing, I assume you're talking about visible light but using all different types of objects and materials you can get light to do what you want; Whether it be sepperate into the rainbow, appear larger/smaller to the human eye, flip or reverse an image, create an image, speed up or slow down. Light is really in the eye of the beholder, I mean a Pokemon can just close there eyes in some cases and the light attack would be useless.
    If you want to argue for a light type I suggest you take the route of BleuVII since his definition (though I still don't like it) is actually plausible. Your defintion could work as an ability though.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Yeah I hate it when I'm proved wrong too.

Though really, Dragons aren't dominant because of their typing, it's more because of their stats (and access to moves like Dragon Dance, Outrage and Draco Meteor.) I mean, from bulbapedia, "The Dragon-type is statistically the best type, as its average fully evolved stat never goes below base 95." The averages are

Spoiler:

That's pretty freaking strong. And the tiers are fan made and really not very pokemon was meant to be good. That's why you can catch caterpie's early on but not Larvitar.

Also ChrisTom, light refracts in water but it doesn't dissapear it just slows down. It's only at deep depths of the ocean can the human eye not see light. Also light is such an easily manipulated thing, I assume you're talking about visible light but using all different types of objects and materials you can get light to do what you want; Whether it be sepperate into the rainbow, appear larger/smaller to the human eye, flip or reverse an image, create an image, speed up or slow down. Light is really in the eye of the beholder, I mean a Pokemon can just close there eyes in some cases and the light attack would be useless.
    If you want to argue for a light type I suggest you take the route of BleuVII since his definition (though I still don't like it) is actually plausible. Your defintion could work as an ability though.

Oh snap!

Anyhoo, I was actually wondering about the way light would react in real life with other elements. That clarifies it a tad.

Years
  • Umm.... thanks Waffle-san? :)

Yeah, "Light" as in a beam of light would be a bad idea for a new type, as it's already covered by Electric, Fire, and Psychic. But I stand by my original idea of Light being a "Holy" type in opposition to Dark being an "Evil" type. I think there is tons of potential there, and since I am new to the discussion of Light type (heard about it for the first time a month ago), that has always been the definition in my mind. I can see lots of creative potential for it.

Thunderpunch

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Light type?

They added Dark in GSC (along with Steel) and haven't added anything since. Do you think we'll see a Light type added in Black and White?

edit: pls move this to Black/White forum

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back