• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dooxer

42 or not 42
Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    light/dark theory... adds up!

I remember when i used to trade pokemon cards like crazy, holos, ex, and other kinds which i dont even remember...
    but I do remember two special classes of cards, light and dark pokemon

I had a light Arcanine card, and though beat up i knew it was rare. So I think that instead of a new element in the game, there will be a whole new thing to keep track of: a pokemon's phase, similar to the idea of shadow pokemon in Colosseum and XD.

Think; special bosses with light/dark phase pokemon, giving extra stats and a sort of pre-battle animation like for shinies... breeding with a special light/dark pokemon, giving a chance to have any pokemon light/dark... this would be a incredible thing to add! imagine trying to get every pokemon in the pokedex light and dark form :knockedou

Last edited:

dooxer

42 or not 42
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    sorry for double post, adding pictures of what i mean...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I think we're fine with the current types that we have. For fifth gen, I want them to focus on more type combos, rather than a new type. That, and what would the new type be?

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    I have always wanted only one more type, and no more than that.
    That type is the Light type.

But the problem is that a lot of Fire, Steel, and Psychic type Pokemon and attacks are already more suited to be the Light type, and introducing the Light type would mess up most of those things. Too bad.

An example of a Pokemon that would have the light type is Ho-oh, but the problem is that it would have three types that way, so it's a bad idea. Otherwise, it would be great.
    An example of a move that begs to be of the light type is Flash Cannon. It's a burst of light.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I just sat here and read through the entire Light-type debate...because I was bored.

I've been fairly neutral to it for the past ten years, leaning towards the "if it ain't broke, don't' fix it" argument, but BleuVII is perhaps the first person I've seen support the light-type through its implications as a holy or spiritual type as a counterpart to the evil and sneaky dark-type. While I made this connection years ago, most people nowadays just associate light with...light...like a lightbulb light...a boring and rather limited concept indeed. >_>

While I like the idea of light-type as representative of holy energy...occupied by angels, fairies, and miscellaneous heavenly beings, and I'd love to see poison have better type-coverage, I still lean towards the issue of balance. The type chart is perfectly fine as is. Steel and Dragon are moderately dominant in OU, but the common presence of Earthquake, Flamethrower, and Ice Beam keep them in check.

Like I said, I'm not completely opposed to it, but GameFreak has to be rather meticulous when it comes to the game's balance before just throwing in the light-type due to fan demand and risk mucking up the relative stability of our metagame. This may involve adding another type in alongside light.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Light type...hmm, well I wouldn't mind there being one but it really wouldn't make much sense to me. We already have fire and electric so what would light's purpose be? Use of some energy from within or when light is out to control the sky? As in determine where light reaches thus being the difference between life and death? If this were the case, then it would make for a fine storyline in black & white.

Years
  • There is actually a 6-page long discussion of this already. My suggestion over there was that rather than having "Light" mean physical light, make it more along the lines of "Holy." In Japanese, Dark is "Aku" which means evil. In the same way, make it "Sei" (holy) and translate it to "Light" in English.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • They added Dark in GSC (along with Steel) and haven't added anything since. Do you think we'll see a Light type added in Black and White?

edit: pls move this to Black/White forum
    Merged your thread in with the existing types thread.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • I really liked Timbjerr's outlook. I think that was a good way to argue it and for the most part I agree.

And BleuVII you make a good point as well. But if they were to write it as "Holy" that would cause controversy. Several sprites were banned in GSC due to the fact they had religous references, which Nintendo does NOT like.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2010
    I think a Light type would be pushing it >.< Like really how many of them can you make? Proble not many

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • The great thing about Pokemon's system is that it can handle additions without becoming unstable or imbalanced. Someone brought up Sableye and Spiritomb. That is a great point. To have a type combination that leaves one with zero weaknesses shows that the system, while stable and established, is not perfect. A new type would definitely help that.
    It's not perfectly adaptive, no. (if it was we wouldn't be banning pokemon, anyway)

Or, if you're just talking about types, what proof from our games backs up your point there, BleuVII? They've never added types to this current system. Even then, there can be additions that overpower the system, we could get yet another type with beautiful pokemon that simply can't be overcome often enough. Although it might not be likely with over 600 pokemon, you never know, the checks to possible new pokemon of new types might already be banned or simply not viable. (see: MUHAHAHA, I have Lightadon, 600 BST and full of special attack, it's only counter? ... Mantine.) Well folks, that's just game over right there if that's the case.

It's really about how conscious enough gamefreak is to make sure it's balanced, and with so many factors involved, that's no easy task. So no, there can certainly be additions that throw off the system, but it really all depends. I mean sometimes (regarding pokemon), we have to take things into our own hands and remove them from competitive play.

Also, as it was so eloquently put earlier, sableye and spiritomb aren't really good points of imperfection/need for a new type because whenever something has those kinds of positives, they're shut down in another aspect or two, such as terrible stats or weak movepool as our current two show. We don't need the introduction of a new type because we have bad non-super-effective-weak pokemon running around. Just because something can't take super-effective hits doesn't mean it's invincible. (otherwise Sableye, a very, very infrequent addition to competitive teams, would be everywhere.) Nor does it really appear as a flaw thanks to all the other circumstances. And say Nintendo produced something else with that type combination, and extremely powerful with little to no flaws, well, let's just say it'd probably go up for a ban to uber anyway. As we all know, they introduced types due to the game-breaking Alakazam and psychic-types, Sableye and Spiritomb are far from game-breaking thanks to their typing.

By the way, you all keep going on and on about Yin Yang, well, who was the opposite to Darkrai, the only dark-type legendary? Cresselia. So the opposite to another, possible game mascot, dark-type could certainly be psychic-type yet again. Who knows.

Years
  • I've been going back and forth about whether or not to even bother responding to you, BeachBoy; you're all over the map. Asking for proof of a situation working and then saying it has never happened before; talking about how certain pokemon have been banned from competitive play and then turning around and praising Game Freak's meticulousness. My favorite comment is this:

the checks to possible new pokemon of new types might already be banned or simply not viable. (see: MUHAHAHA, I have Lightadon, 600 BST and full of special attack, it's only counter? ... Mantine.) Well folks, that's just game over right there if that's the case.

You're killing me. That says nothing about adding a new type; that's just an example of bad game design, and we all trust Game Freak to be better than that.

You asked for my proof of why a new type would work. Here it is:

New Types?

It's a chart. The beauty of it is that you can add another row and another column and not change the rows and columns that came before it. All that you have to do is make sure that the new row/column has the same average number of characteristics as the one that came before it. It's really not that hard. And another column is not game breaking.

I bring up Sableye and Spiritomb not because they are great pokemon, but because there exists a dual-type combination that has no weaknesses. That right there, in my opinion, warrants the creation of a new type so that there is at least one weakness.

My proposed Light type was strong against Fighting, Steel, and later, Dark; weak against Psychic, Rock, and Light; Immune to Steel; weak to Ghost, Poison, and Dark; and resistant to Flying and Light. In my opinion, that seems like it not only balances itself, but also does two needed things: makes Poison more useful and gives Steel another weakness.

Now, I can understand if you don't want the addition of a Light type, but it's simply not a good argument to say that it would throw the game out of balance or break it to add another type. It wouldn't. As long as the type has strengths and weaknesses and can't combine with another type in order to have no weakness, it won't break the game.

AuraGaurdian

Protector of auras
    Years
  • Look in my oppinion the other types have light covered in fact theres one move that specifically refers to light i.e. flash cannon
    (Duh)
    So I agree with the many people who have said this already LIGHT TYPES ARE A BAD IDEA SO GET OVER IT.

seriously

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2010
    The Psychic type seems to fill the niche of Light in Pokémon already. Espeon/Umbreon and Cresselia/Darkrai have already been mentioned, but I'd like to throw in Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, the Gardevoir line and the Chimecho line. These Pokémon would be shoo-ins for the Light type if it existed, but Game Freak chose to give them the Psychic type instead. This, in my opinion, proves Game Freak's stance on this issue.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • See, one of the problems with the Light type is Pokemon that would fit in it. Ones that already exist, I mean.

I highly doubt they'll change the typing of those guys any time soon. If they did, some Pokemon do raise the question - what type to replace?

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • Right now there are only two new types that I'd like to see, those being Light and Virtual. Light simply to balance out Dark and Virtual for the Porygon family, change them all to the Virtual-type and add a few more in there.

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years
  • With regards to Pokémon, I've always seen the Dark-type not as an evil/demonic power, but more of the darkness that can corrupt/cloud our minds. That plays heavily into why Psychic and Ghost-types are weak to Dark, and why Dark is immune to Psychic.

If Light is to be introduced as a new type, I don't think they will go the spiritual/holy route, since this comes very close to touching the concept of religion. Also, if Light does make it in, it would have to make sense with the various checks and balances, and not just have weaknesses/strengths just to cover other types.

My proposed Light type was strong against Fighting, Steel, and later, Dark; weak against Psychic, Rock, and Light; Immune to Steel; weak to Ghost, Poison, and Dark; and resistant to Flying and Light. In my opinion, that seems like it not only balances itself, but also does two needed things: makes Poison more useful and gives Steel another weakness.

If you can explain why Light is weak against Psychic, Rock, and Light; why Steel has no effect on Light; why Flying is resistant to Light; and why all other Light-type match-ups are sensible as a reference to real-world concepts, then this would be fine. But the typing system the Pokémon franchise uses isn't just about balance, but also logic, and that can't be ignored.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back