• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • But just because a type that makes little sense was created in generation I doesn't mean we should be making any (or multiple) ones now that Pokemon is in it's fifth generation and has sold 193 million worldwide copies. When you've got a world wide audience as big as Pokemon does adding a new type that makes little to no sense like Glass would certainly anger more people than the ones it pleases. I mean Mijumaru is judged for having a sea shell on it's chest I don't even want to imagine the firestorm if a glass type was added. I can't believe I'm saying this, but please stick to the light type idea. >.<

But this thread is the "New Types?" thread. It is for people that want new types to discuss possible new types. Honestly, I had never thought about Glass type before, but on the surface it sounds like an even cooler type than Light. I mean, glass is actually REALLY strong, and it'd be really neat to have another type like Steel which focuses on Sp.Defense instead of Defense. I mean, Sp.Defense didn't really exist back when the types were set up.

Anyway, I've noticed something in my few months on these forums, and that is this: when Game Freak makes a change, people will alter their perceptions to explain why it is a good idea. When fans suggest a change, people verbally beat them down into oblivion. Trust me, if Game Freak suddenly came out with an announcement saying, "There will now be 19 types, with the addition of Light and Glass," people would grumble about it for a month and then start altering their own reality to defend to outsiders why it is a good idea. Maybe 10% of the fans would really truly hate it. I'm guessing that you are in that 10%.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Short answer: No!

Long answer: The Dark type is dark as in evil or "darker and edgier". Not as in nighttime or absence of light. A Light type would make no sense. If anything, a counterpart would be a "Holy" type, but Nintendo would never go for that. Too many controversies. Plus, the types are balanced now. Why change anything?

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • But this thread is the "New Types?" thread. It is for people that want new types to discuss possible new types. Honestly, I had never thought about Glass type before, but on the surface it sounds like an even cooler type than Light. I mean, glass is actually REALLY strong, and it'd be really neat to have another type like Steel which focuses on Sp.Defense instead of Defense. I mean, Sp.Defense didn't really exist back when the types were set up.

Well technically by definition of the first post:

Has anybody else realized that this would be the perfect oppurtunity to add the fan demanded Light type? I personally think that due to this theme they are exhibiting that there will be a Light type. Does anybody else agree?

It's a thread for people to discuss the possibility of new types as well as defend ones belief against new types. On the surface it sounds cool but I stand by my belief that it isn't needed and doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, I've noticed something in my few months on these forums, and that is this: when Game Freak makes a change, people will alter their perceptions to explain why it is a good idea. When fans suggest a change, people verbally beat them down into oblivion. Trust me, if Game Freak suddenly came out with an announcement saying, "There will now be 19 types, with the addition of Light and Glass," people would grumble about it for a month and then start altering their own reality to defend to outsiders why it is a good idea. Maybe 10% of the fans would really truly hate it. I'm guessing that you are in that 10%.

I agree 100%. Frankly I wouldn't want to waste time grumbling with it and just focus on adapting. There'd be nothing I could do about it and my love of Pokemon would drag me back anyways. Hey, if GF implemented it and it worked out great for the game and for the franchise with notable improvement due to the types evident, I'd eat my words and admit I was wrong. But if no improvement was noted and/or their inclusion continued to frustrate me I would be forced to suck it up and deal with like I deal with the Flying type being named, "Flying."
    I think when GF does make changes it just forces people to see a new indsight, I'd argue that only people like us who really discuss give themselves a chance to see different possibilities before hand. Though, one can get so caught up in defending their own point, one can get to the point where their just being plain stubborn but I'll admit I've opened up to a "holy" rendition of the light type but at the moment I see no reason to desire or believe in a Glass type. =/

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I dont know why, i just felt that gamefreak will not add any more type to the current 17 since they are very much balance now.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2010
    I would absolutely LOVE a light type! And see all the new pokemon that are going to be light :> I can't wait!

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • Note: to me, Light = Good = Aether/Holy.

I don't see how "It isn't needed to balance the types." is a correct counter to "Wouldn't it be fun to add a Light-type?" Maybe if it was "It might unbalance the types." or if the orginal argument was "We need a Light-type to balance the types."

I also fail to see even a slight similarity between Light and Psychic by any stretch of the imagination. Neither how Psychic is the opposite of Dark. Normal would be closer.

Light is also not an unusual type to have. The six most popular elements in RPGs are probably fire, water/ice, nature, electricity, dark and light. Aether (a.k.a. holy) is also a base elemental type in Japanese media. So like how Dark is Bad/Evil in Japan, Light would be Aether/Holy.

Anyway, I would like to see Light, but it's not a big deal if it isn't there. Although if it is, it's probably a better idea to accidently slip into underpowered rather than overpowered.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Note: to me, Light = Good = Aether/Holy.

I don't see how "It isn't needed to balance the types." is a correct counter to "Wouldn't it be fun to add a Light-type?" Maybe if it was "It might unbalance the types." or if the orginal argument was "We need a Light-type to balance the types."

I also fail to see even a slight similarity between Light and Psychic by any stretch of the imagination. Neither how Psychic is the opposite of Dark. Normal would be closer.

Light is also not an unusual type to have. The six most popular elements in RPGs are probably fire, water/ice, nature, electricity, dark and light. Aether (a.k.a. holy) is also a base elemental type in Japanese media. So like how Dark is Bad/Evil in Japan, Light would be Aether/Holy.

Anyway, I would like to see Light, but it's not a big deal if it isn't there. Although if it is, it's probably a better idea to accidently slip into underpowered rather than overpowered.

My thoughts (near enough) exactly. I can't get my head around the argument that "the types are balanced now so there's no need for a new type." Why does anyone assume that a new type would ruin the metagame? Do they not have any faith in Gamefreak's ability to make a change while keeping the balance of the game intact?

Also, the only argument in favour of Psychic being a counterpart to Dark is that it was introduced to make Psychic less overpowered. That fact means that Dark was introduced to knock Psychic down a peg or two, but by no means does it mean that they're opposites. It just doesn't flow logically.

Also, if the metagame is so balanced, why is it that Poison is so underpowered? Or grass? Admittedly I'm not a metagamer myself but it stands to reason as far as I'm concerned that a balanced game would have all 17 types being (as near as possible) equally useful. I know for a fact that isn't the case, which just leads me further to believe that those who oppose new types are simply worried about possibly having to learn a few new type combinations and losing their competitive advantage.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Furthermore, if no-one likes the "holy" connotations of the Light type (which I completely understand), how about calling it the "Aura" type? That for me implies more of what I would consider the Light-type to be like. Sort of the spiritual, pure essence of warriorhood, as opposed to the close-minded, sneaky essence of the Dark-type.

P.S. Sorry for double post...

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Yes, pokemon like espeon (evolves in the DAY), among other similar psychic types are not related to Light right? Moves like LIGHT SCREEN or REFLECT don't exist either right? How about psybeam? Yeah you see what I'm getting at...

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • I think what most people are trying to get at when they say "no thanks" to a light type or any other new type is this:

1) While the idea might be interesting, it's a bit far-fetched to add such a drastic change when the canon is already so established. Yes, you can change stuff and add stuff at this point, but many would think it's a bit troublesome to adapt to a change like that, so they don't want a new type. Sure, this is only an opinion and not a real argument per se, but if enough people think like that, it can be a problem for GF and the new type, too.

2) While the idea is fun to speculate and could be fun in the games, it could also not be all that fun. Adding a new type wouldn't really add all that much to the games. Strategy-wise, it might take you a moment to adapt, but then it'd be just a type among the other types, which brings us absolutely nothing new. Personally I would prefer for Game Freak to concentrate on adding things that actually make a difference rather than expanding on the already large selection of types available. I don't see the addition of a new type being all that "fun".

3) While the idea itself is fairly simple and the type advantages, disadvantages, weaknesses, and resistances could be easily backed up with arguments, it would be unnecessarily complicated game-wise. It would wreck some of the compatibility between 4th and 5th generations, and we might only be able to trade Pokémon one way because of that. Moreover, keeping track of all the 17 types and their gameplay features is already quite a task in itself, especially for players new to Pokémon, and adding new types would further complicate the system and make learning it harder. As the target audience of the game generally is rather young - even if the new protagonists are older, I doubt the game is directly marketed towards older teens, but rather younger teens and older children -, I assume adding more complexity to the system would be something Game Freak wants to avoid.

4) In the past, when types were last added, they were added to fix an imbalanced system. Because of this, most fans probably don't expect to see new types being introduced unless they are introduced to further fix the system. However, the system is fairly balanced as it is, so a lot of us are inclined to think there won't be any new types. Sure, we might be wrong, but what's happened in the past is all we have to go on, as none of us have any inside connections to Game Freak.

5) Adding in a new type would cause imbalance in the number of Pokémon representing that type. All other types have at least three generations of new Pokémon added, so unless some of the older ones get their types changed or they add a lot of Pokémon with the new type in the 5th gen, there will be a miserably small amount of them in existence. The best choice in that case would probably be to change the types of some of the older Pokémon, but that could cause situations in which someone's favourite Pokémon loses its charm for them, or a Pokémon is changed in a way that robs it of a really useful STAB, or so forth. That's generally something fans wouldn't like to see happening, and hence they say "no thank you" to adding a new type at this point.

I hope that makes it a bit clearer why so many people are against this. Some of the people who want new types seem to misunderstand people's arguments, so I thought I'd make a list of valid reasons to be against adding a new type at this point.

So, yes, while I think the idea is certainly interesting, I wouldn't want to see this happen in the games. I just fail to see the point of adding something new, because I can't see it being very fun at all, just complicated.

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
    Years
  • Silverman said:
    I always thought Dark was the Psychic counterpart... oh, wait, that's BUG... how stupid I am.
    Considering that the Bug type was in the first generation and Psychics still destroyed everything, it obviously wasn't a very effective counterpart. When the second generation was released, the Dark type was introduced to limit the power Psychics had in battle, giving the Psychic type its first true counter in the metagame. The Bug type didn't get very many tweaks to make it more effective against Psychic types, and it still hasn't to this day. Therefore, I must disagree with a majority of your post.

On the subject of other types, I think it's much too late to add any new ones to the game. If you consider that many existing Pokemon would have to be re-typed to maintain a respectable number of that type, many Pokemon that may be involved in the re-typing would lose STAB bonuses and whatnot for certain attacks. That's not to mention re-typing Pokemon that already have two types. I think I saw someone argue that Lanturn could be re-typed to water/light. I think this is a preposterous idea, considering 1.) It's prevolution, Chinchou, has positive signs on its eyes, 2.) It can have the ability Volt Absorb, and 3.) it uses attacks based around electricity, not light. And children, light =/= electricity. The same argument can be applied to nearly every new type that has been proposed in this thread.

yomamathecableguy

Has a lot of projects going on
    Years
  • God.. that would just be an awful idea. Light type? Come on.. for one, it was fine when they added Steel and Dark types in the second gen because that was only the second series of games - this is 5 generations in. It's completely different. You can't go through 493 Pokemon and then say 'wait a sec! there's a new type in these new 1__ Pokemon that for some odd reason we never saw in any of the other nearly 500 Pokemon!'

Not to be a pessimist or anything, I just personally disgust the idea. I'd rather stick with the types we have now.. what's the point of adding another? And what exactly would a Light type attack consist of, anyways? Holy Grail Smash?

Plus, you have to realize that these games are going to be linked via Wi-Fi to D/P/Pt/HG/SS. How would that work? It's just going to magically change types when it trades over?

Last edited:

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • Yes, pokemon like espeon (evolves in the DAY), among other similar psychic types are not related to Light right?
    One Psychic evolving during the day doesn't really say much. Fighting or Steel (a.k.a. Lucario) don't have anything to do with the morning. And I see Light as meaning 'good' rather than physical light; as with how Dark has very few connections to the night, is called Bad in Japan and most of the connections to do with darkness would probably be just because 'badness' is associated with that.

1) While the idea might be interesting, it's a bit far-fetched to add such a drastic change when the canon is already so established. Yes, you can change stuff and add stuff at this point, but many would think it's a bit troublesome to adapt to a change like that, so they don't want a new type. Sure, this is only an opinion and not a real argument per se, but if enough people think like that, it can be a problem for GF and the new type, too.

Gen IV gave us the Physical-Special split. That affects the game a lot more. Gen III gave us abilities which also would. Seriously, if some major battle mechanic doesn't change in this game, it's going to be boring.

2) While the idea is fun to speculate and could be fun in the games, it could also not be all that fun. Adding a new type wouldn't really add all that much to the games. Strategy-wise, it might take you a moment to adapt, but then it'd be just a type among the other types, which brings us absolutely nothing new. Personally I would prefer for Game Freak to concentrate on adding things that actually make a difference rather than expanding on the already large selection of types available. I don't see the addition of a new type being all that "fun".

So adding new type combos isn't interesting either? If we keep going with the same types, we're running out of non-Dragon, non-Ghost related type combos that are interesting. Light would open up another 18 type combos. The same repeated type combos over and over isn't the best. I mean just imagine Gen VI...

3) While the idea itself is fairly simple and the type advantages, disadvantages, weaknesses, and resistances could be easily backed up with arguments, it would be unnecessarily complicated game-wise. It would wreck some of the compatibility between 4th and 5th generations, and we might only be able to trade Pokémon one way because of that. Moreover, keeping track of all the 17 types and their gameplay features is already quite a task in itself, especially for players new to Pokémon, and adding new types would further complicate the system and make learning it harder. As the target audience of the game generally is rather young - even if the new protagonists are older, I doubt the game is directly marketed towards older teens, but rather younger teens and older children -, I assume adding more complexity to the system would be something Game Freak wants to avoid.

It shouldn't affect backwards compatibility. Either way, I doubt there will be trading backwards. And all the complex type combos aren't very important for beginning players. I know I went a few years without knowing any but the basic ones for a while.

4) In the past, when types were last added, they were added to fix an imbalanced system. Because of this, most fans probably don't expect to see new types being introduced unless they are introduced to further fix the system. However, the system is fairly balanced as it is, so a lot of us are inclined to think there won't be any new types. Sure, we might be wrong, but what's happened in the past is all we have to go on, as none of us have any inside connections to Game Freak.

But the precedent for adding types is still there. Sure, it woud be a different reason this time, but there's nothing saying they can't have more than one reason. It still shows that if they want, they're not afraid of adding more types. It really makes it more likely that they will then if they hadn't added any at all.

5) Adding in a new type would cause imbalance in the number of Pokémon representing that type. All other types have at least three generations of new Pokémon added, so unless some of the older ones get their types changed or they add a lot of Pokémon with the new type in the 5th gen, there will be a miserably small amount of them in existence. The best choice in that case would probably be to change the types of some of the older Pokémon, but that could cause situations in which someone's favourite Pokémon loses its charm for them, or a Pokémon is changed in a way that robs it of a really useful STAB, or so forth. That's generally something fans wouldn't like to see happening, and hence they say "no thank you" to adding a new type at this point.

I don't think the imbalance should be that much of an issue. There sure was a huge imbalance of Ghost, Dragon, Ice, Dark, Steel, etc. back in the day. It just made those types more interesting.

Considering that the Bug type was in the first generation and Psychics still destroyed everything, it obviously wasn't a very effective counterpart. When the second generation was released, the Dark type was introduced to limit the power Psychics had in battle, giving the Psychic type its first true counter in the metagame. The Bug type didn't get very many tweaks to make it more effective against Psychic types, and it still hasn't to this day. Therefore, I must disagree with a majority of your post.

Bug did get (a bit) more power with Bug moves that are actually, real bug moves. And Heracross, finally a competent Bug. Ghost and Steel were also made as counters to Psychic in Gen II. Just goes to show how overpowered Psychic was.

Last edited:

yomamathecableguy

Has a lot of projects going on
    Years
  • Myles said:
    Gen IV gave us the Physical-Special split. That affects the game a lot more. Gen III gave us abilities which also would. Seriously, if some major battle mechanic doesn't change in this game, it's going to be boring.

I'm wondering what exactly you mean by the Physical-Special split.. Physical and Special attacks have been around since the first generation. They've always been split between Physical and Special, just like Defense is and has been. Abilities weren't like adding a new type. Abilities are beneficial to every Pokemon, and are like using a permanent attack before the battle starts. (i.e. Blaze) How would a new type benefit anything? I mean what would even be the reasoning behind it? I'm sure some major game mechanic will change in this game. In fact, it's nearly impossible that it won't. But why would you seriously add another type?

Myles said:
    So adding new type combos isn't interesting either? If we keep going with the same types, we're running out of non-Dragon, non-Ghost related type combos that are interesting. Light would open up another 18 type combos. The same repeated type combos over and over isn't the best. I mean just imagine Gen VI...

Alright, yes, adding new type combos may be interesting. But honestly, Light? You're kidding me. What would Light even do? At least Dark has a physical representation in ghosts and such.. you can't really make God or angels a Pokemon. While I agree another 18 possible combos would be spiffy, I am completely against using LIGHT as the type that adds this to the game.

Myles said:
    It shouldn't affect backwards compatibility. Either way, I doubt there will be trading backwards. And all the complex type combos aren't very important for beginning players. I know I went a few years without knowing any but the basic ones for a while.

How would that not effect backwards compatibility? I seriously doubt they're going to add a new type in the first place, but even more so because of the fact that trading should not magically change your Pokemon's type. Sure, this happened when you traded from G/S/C to R/B/Y, but as I said in my first post, that was the 2nd gen, not the 5th and almost 500 Pokemon in. I think in B/W there will be some type of time machine that functions like G/S/C's... and if this is the case, why would they add a new type? As for the beginning players not paying attention to the complex type combos.. speak for yourself. The only reason I got into the Pokemon games was because of the deep mechanics that went on behind the scenes. I would sit there for HOURS and disect each little part. This is why I became obsessed with the G/S/C breeding system. And I know for a fact I'm not the only one like that.

Myles said:
    But the precedent for adding types is still there. Sure, it woud be a different reason this time, but there's nothing saying they can't have more than one reason. It still shows that if they want, they're not afraid of adding more types. It really makes it more likely that they will then if they hadn't added any at all.

..so because they made a fix to the series, the precedent is still there? That's hardly what I would call a precedent. As .EJ said, balancing things out was the ONLY reason they were added. You can't just say that they would do it for a completely different reason this time around, just because they want. That's like saying the U.S. could nuke Europe, even though the only other time they did it was against Japan, but now they have different reasons and they just want to do it. Game Freak doesn't need to prove that they can do something without being afraid. Why would they? Why do you think they would add a type to show that they're not afraid of adding things that they want to add?

Myles said:
    I don't think the imbalance should be that much of an issue. There sure was a huge imbalance of Ghost, Dragon, Ice, Dark, Steel, etc. back in the day. It just made those types more interesting.

Probably the only thing you've said that I partially agree with. I agree that back then, I was quite allured to Steel, Ice, and Dragon types myself, merely because their uniqueness. If another type was added, sure, I'd probably be more interested in the new type, if it wasn't Light. But regardless, I don't think another type should be added.

Grrr PokePolitics. >.> XD

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • First of all, way to quote my entire post under someone else's name. =/ Edit: Oh, sorry, you fixed that now. Thanks. :3

Like I just said, it's not that big of a change. It really changes nothing in a very drastic or interesting way. Now, the physical-special split actually affects things and makes battling more interesting, as do abilities. A new type does not alter battle mechanics or add new depth to the game. It's just a new type. It's stalling. It's not a real change. It just makes things more difficult.

There are plenty of interesting non-dragon, non-ghost type combos that haven't been touched yet. Fighting/Flying is one, as is Grass/Steel, Water/Fire, Ice/Rock, Ground/Electric, Electric/Grass, Electric/Dark... If you think all interesting combos have already been done, then you should probably take another look at the double types currently in existence. Light-type is really not necessary for that. Besides, it only offers 17 new combos, so.

Of course it affects backwards compatibility. You need to change things that DPPt, at the very least, did not foresee changing, and you wouldn't be able to trade between those games anymore. Also, see, you are proving my point about the too complex type charts. The type features are important to assure you that you do well in battles, yet beginning players keep to the basics because it's really complicated to remember it all. A new type does not help with that. And I really doubt it makes things more interesting competitive-wise. New, innovative moves are more important for that part of the fandom.

I don't think it shows that at all. Back then, they simply had no choice; they had to either add some new types or overhaul the features of the existing ones entirely. It was easier to add new types, so they did. With most big game franchises, the company who makes them is very vary of any bigger changes they want to make on the games, because the fanbase usually resists any changes. They can change the game mechanics, but they can't change the canon, and types are an integral part of the canon just as much as they are a part of the game mechanics.

But if they only make a few light-types, then what is the point in the whole thing? If there were only a couple of light-types, they would have to be overpowered to compensate for their lack in numbers. That, or the new type would be a tiny bunch of relatively pathetic but neat new Pokémon, much like many ghost-types are (which saddens me, because ghost is my favourite type). Neither of those choices seem all that cool to me.

Last edited:

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • I'm wondering what exactly you mean by the Physical-Special split.. Physical and Special attacks have been around since the first generation. They've always been split between Physical and Special, just like Defense is and has been. Abilities weren't like adding a new type. Abilities are beneficial to every Pokemon, and are like using a permanent attack before the battle starts. (i.e. Blaze) How would a new type benefit anything? I mean what would even be the reasoning behind it? I'm sure some major game mechanic will change in this game. In fact, it's nearly impossible that it won't. But why would you seriously add another type?

I'm pretty sure that's what people usually call the split of physical-special from the types. That is that Firepunch is now physical and Hyper Beam is now special, despite being Fire and Normal.

Alright, yes, adding new type combos may be interesting. But honestly, Light? You're kidding me. What would Light even do? At least Dark has a physical representation in ghosts and such.. you can't really make God or angels a Pokemon. While I agree another 18 possible combos would be spiffy, I am completely against using LIGHT as the type that adds this to the game.

Energy blasts, healing moves, physics-distorting moves, etc.

How would that not effect backwards compatibility? I seriously doubt they're going to add a new type in the first place, but even more so because of the fact that trading should not magically change your Pokemon's type. Sure, this happened when you traded from G/S/C to R/B/Y, but as I said in my first post, that was the 2nd gen, not the 5th and almost 500 Pokemon in. I think in B/W there will be some type of time machine that functions like G/S/C's... and if this is the case, why would they add a new type?

They don't necessarily have to change old Pokemon's types. And since you wouldnt be able to trade back new Pokemon anyway... But anyway, Magnemite and Magneton changed types when traded. And I might be remembering wrong, but Pokemon even changed stats when traded between RG and Blue, didn't they?

As for the beginning players not paying attention to the complex type combos.. speak for yourself. The only reason I got into the Pokemon games was because of the deep mechanics that went on behind the scenes. I would sit there for HOURS and disect each little part. This is why I became obsessed with the G/S/C breeding system. And I know for a fact I'm not the only one like that.

I mean for the start not needing for it. Knowing how all the types work isn't really needed to beat the Pokemon League or enjoy the game. Later they can learn more. ANyway for the people who like working it all out, complexity just makes it more fun. And seriously with all of those mechanics, an extra type is nothing.

..so because they made a fix to the series, the precedent is still there? That's hardly what I would call a precedent. As .EJ said, balancing things out was the ONLY reason they were added. You can't just say that they would do it for a completely different reason this time around, just because they want. That's like saying the U.S. could nuke Europe, even though the only other time they did it was against Japan, but now they have different reasons and they just want to do it. Game Freak doesn't need to prove that they can do something without being afraid. Why would they? Why do you think they would add a type to show that they're not afraid of adding things that they want to add?

I wasn't saying that they'd do it just because they're 'not afarid to', but I was just saying that the existence of Steel and Dark don't make Light less likely. And there still is a precedent. Them deciding to do it for reason X doesn't mean they won't be willing to do it for reason Y or Z.

Like I just said, it's not that big of a change. It really changes nothing in a very drastic or interesting way. Now, the physical-special split actually affects things and makes battling more interesting, as do abilities. A new type does not alter battle mechanics or add new depth to the game. It's just a new type. It's stalling. It's not a real change. It just makes things more difficult.

Many abilities have made the difference between OU, Uber and UU. The physical-special split changed around movesets completely.

There are plenty of interesting non-dragon, non-ghost type combos that haven't been touched yet. Fighting/Flying is one, as is Grass/Steel, Water/Fire, Ice/Rock, Ground/Electric, Electric/Grass, Electric/Dark... If you think all interesting combos have already been done, then you should probably take another look at the double types currently in existence. Light-type is really not necessary for that. Besides, it only offers 17 new combos, so.

I didn't say there are none. But still a lot of them are a bit arkward. Like Grass/Steel doesn't really fit into much, you'd really just have to grab some random animal and apply those two types to it without the animal having relation to them. Or be very creative. There is some crab thing that wouold work with Fire/Water, but still otherwise a bit illogical. Ice/Rock, Ground/Electric and Electric/Ice would be roughly the same. I'm not saying they couldn't be done well, but there's a reason they were left to last.

Of course it affects backwards compatibility. You need to change things that DPPt, at the very least, did not foresee changing, and you wouldn't be able to trade between those games anymore. Also, see, you are proving my point about the too complex type charts. The type features are important to assure you that you do well in battles, yet beginning players keep to the basics because it's really complicated to remember it all. A new type does not help with that. And I really doubt it makes things more interesting competitive-wise. New, innovative moves are more important for that part of the fandom.

See above.

But if they only make a few light-types, then what is the point in the whole thing? If there were only a couple of light-types, they would have to be overpowered to compensate for their lack in numbers. That, or the new type would be a tiny bunch of relatively pathetic but neat new Pokémon, much like many ghost-types are (which saddens me, because ghost is my favourite type). Neither of those choices seem all that cool to me.

They wouldn't have to be weak. But a legendary could be Light, a pseudo-legendary could be dual type with it and then maybe a couple more other ones. And maybe even change a couple old Pokemon (e.g. Togepi), if they want to go that way. Arceus, Kecleon, Porygon, etc. could also make use of it. :P

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    @an-chan: Yeah, I was about to say "I didn't post any of that..."

One Psychic evolving during the day doesn't really say much. Fighting or Steel (a.k.a. Lucario) don't have anything to do with the morning. And I see Light as meaning 'good' rather than physical light; as with how Dark has very few connections to the night, is called Bad in Japan and most of the connections to do with darkness would probably be just because 'badness' is associated with that.

Oh I'm sorry you must be under the impression that I was only referring to one pokemon, however I did mention related pokemon.

How about solrock? lunatone? cresselia?

Hmm, yeah...IF you also see light as good then I guess Mew (a psychic type) should be a light type right?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back