• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

NFC - Nintendo Fan Club

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Ok, basically the Wii matter is one in which I'm actually disappointed I'm in Japan. If I spend the money to buy it here, it won't be compatible when I get back to the US and want to buy English games.

...I'll just sit here and cry, I really wanted the Wii. TP, PBR, all great games.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • If you guys want the GC ver of LoZ: TP then OMG you just got to wait a month (or less). It gives you more time to save up for the game or whatever.
    It's always the same "The Wiimote is a gimmick. |The Wiimote is stupid. | The Wiimote will be the downfall of Nitnendo. | The Wiimote shouldn't be primary controls." and so on. I say before going around saying/thinking the Wii will be the worst on the block, try it out. The whole "Playing = Believing" might hold true.
    Maybe the GC ver will be better, who knows. But I'll be playing the Wii ver of TP on November 19th. I don't want the GC ver when I can have the more better Wii ver of it (let alone that I'll also get to use the Wiimote in LoZ: TP like I wanted when I first heard they're making a Wii ver).

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Like Triffy just said, you won't get to use it like you wanted to. It doesn't mimic real swordfighting in the least. You simply move the controller - doesn't matter which way - and Link swings the sword.

And you contradicted yourself - you said that maybe the GC version would be better, but why get that when you can get the better Wii version... XD

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • We'll see how it turns out. At least I have hope in it (I'm not going to shoot it down before I get my hands on it). And if it doesn't work out good then so be it.

Fine. The GC might be better, but I'm going to get a more advanced ver of TP. That better? XD

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
    Years
  • There is a rumor floating around that says the Opera browser is free until June 2007 for the early Wii buyers. I don't know if that means free until June 2007 or before 2007.

I don't think the Wii is overpriced, not for what I'm getting in return which is great game play. Technically it may be overpriced but the only people who would care are technical people, duh. You must remember that Nintendo has to make a profit off the Wii, not because they want to but because they have to. I love how Nintendo put it, We are a company that competes only in the interactive entertainment space so we have to make a profit on every thing we do. Which basically means that they don't have tons of cash from selling operating systems or media devices that they can just waste like Sony and Microsoft. Back to the technical thing though, they put a lot of money into R&D for the Wii and the motion sensing isn't cheap so you have that to think about too. As far as the $60 controller set, yeah it might be expensive but think of all the tech that's inside it, the 360 wireless is only $10 less without as much tech. Also think about it, I would rather spend $60 on 3 sets of controllers than $60 per game for the whole generation, I don't know about you guys but I buy way more than 3 games per generation. This is of course assuming that all games cost $50.

As for the controls in TP being gimmicky, I don't know I haven't played it so I can't judge but I will try to imagine. After simulating playing TP with those controls I have come to the conclusion that I couldn't care less. If you stop and think about it, the wii-mote will have it's uses in TP that will make up for it. I mean, you can still aim your boomerang and your bow, or fish with the wii-mote. Some people were mad when they heard that you couldn't swing the wii-mote to have Link swing his sword, now the same people are mad because it's not 1:1? Everybody has their own opinion but to me using the wii-mote to have Link swing his sword is a whole lot better than pushing A and having Link do the same. So what I'm saying is, hey you got your wii-mote sword controls so now be grateful and don't be mad if it's not exactly what you wanted, if you want to press the A button instead then buy the GC version. Anyways, I think the Wii version will be just as good as the GC version if not better, then again that's just my opinion.

In other Wii control related news Matt from IGN said that the new expert mode in MP3 is great and shows what the wii-mote can do for FPS games. That's good, the fact that they moved the date back to 2007 means they will have more time to tweak everything.

Also, I think I know why Nintendo chose not to launch all of their big guns with the Wii. Besides the fact that they don't want their titles stealing the thunder of other games I think they made a smart move. Think about it, Zelda to raise sales during the holidays, Mario for the summer game drought which will also sell some more Wii's and then SSBB for next Christmas, it's pretty smart when you think about it. Also, MP3 will also help whenever they decide to release it, I don't have a clue so I won't say anything.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Samurai X, I think the Opera Browser will be free for a limited time in Japan, not here.

And...I'm getting the Wii verison of Twilight Princess because I'm getting a Wii anyway and I want to play Twilight Princess as soon as possible. I can't afford to play it a few weeks later when the rest of the Zelda community would already have played it. I write theories, it's vital that I play it as soon as possible. I don't think the Wii Remote is a gimmick. I think it's brilliant. I do however think that the Wii functionality is being tacked onto Twilight Princess in a gimmicky way. I don't think it will hinder the game in anyway. It's probably just like press the B Button on older games, only now you're flicking your wrist. It's different, and not exactly what we wanted, but it's still similar to the old games. I just think that they could've done more with it. Fire a bow is fun on the Wii, flicking your wrist is just kind of there.

The fact that the entire game world, and textures has been reversed does truly bother me though. ... All signs that will be in Hylian will be backwards!! O_O How am I supposed to read that? Link's a left. Always been a lefty. Should still be a lefty.

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
    Years
  • Well you see, that's what I had heard initially but then I heard somewhere that it might still be free for us Americans, that's the real rumor.

Nobody can really know if it's a gimmick or not because you have to play it for a long time before you can call something a gimmick. I'm just saying that they're not the perfect controls that most people wanted, so if someone is mad because of that then they should get over it or buy the GC version, they shouldn't go out of their way to say it's a gimmick especially since they havn't tried it. I don't think it's a tack-on feature, I just feel that they wanted it to be simple. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't knock it until you try it. Also, less is more, think about it.

Note: The last game Nintendo published or made that people were calling a gimmick was Metroid Prime, now isn't that silly?

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • At least some people make some long replies. XD

Samurai X said:
    There is a rumor floating around that says the Opera browser is free until June 2007 for the early Wii buyers. I don't know if that means free until June 2007 or before 2007.
    Yea I also heard that somewhere. Not that it really bugs me, unless you GOT to have it to download games and for the message board and that sort of stuff.

Samurai X said:
    Also think about it, I would rather spend $60 on 3 sets of controllers than $60 per game for the whole generation, I don't know about you guys but I buy way more than 3 games per generation. This is of course assuming that all games cost $50.
    You got a great great great point there. And I never really thought of it that way. I got 24 PS2 games (I know I'll likely get more Wii games.... far more Wii games), if all of them games costed only $10 bucks more that would be me dishing out $240 more then what I had to pay. The 360 does have $60 games, that $10 dollar difference might not sound much (also tell that to the Wii people who are mad about the price of the Wiimote set). But over time it adds up, and if you start getting up there on number of games then that's a lot of money down the drain. I'll take the $60 Wiimote price of the $60 game price.
    That is a great great great great great great great great point. If only all the people on GameSpot thought about that (threads after threads yapping about the controller price).

Samurai X said:
    Also, I think I know why Nintendo chose not to launch all of their big guns with the Wii. Besides the fact that they don't want their titles stealing the thunder of other games I think they made a smart move. Think about it, Zelda to raise sales during the holidays, Mario for the summer game drought which will also sell some more Wii's and then SSBB for next Christmas, it's pretty smart when you think about it. Also, MP3 will also help whenever they decide to release it, I don't have a clue so I won't say anything.
    I myself hope they don't put SSBB off till Christmas. I mean sure it'd jack the Wii sells up really really high around Christmas. But I'm still looking for a Q1 launch of SSBB. A year to battle you guys, a year to wait for SSBB, a year to see how it plays. Too long for my tastes.

TRIFORCE89 said:
    The fact that the entire game world, and textures has been reversed does truly bother me though. ... All signs that will be in Hylian will be backwards!! O_O How am I supposed to read that? Link's a left. Always been a lefty. Should still be a lefty.
    I can understand both sides of this. Link has been left handed since... well the start. He should still be a lefty. But on the other side most people are right handed, it just makes more sense that Link in TP is right handed. That's why I want TP to have left or right hand controls. You go into options and change the settings. If it had that then it'd be great. Someone like you Triffy would likely play left handed (I'm not sure if you're left or right, but even if you were right handed I'm sure you'd likely play with your left). But me since I'm right handed and I don't mind it I'd play with my right hand. Nintendo really should have an option for that (not only for all the LoZ fans out there, but also for all the left handed people out there).

Samurai X said:
    Nobody can really know if it's a gimmick or not because you have to play it for a long time before you can call something a gimmick. I'm just saying that they're not the perfect controls that most people wanted, so if someone is mad because of that then they should get over it or buy the GC version, they shouldn't go out of their way to say it's a gimmick especially since they havn't tried it. I don't think it's a tack-on feature, I just feel that they wanted it to be simple. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't knock it until you try it. Also, less is more, think about it.

Note: The last game Nintendo published or made that people were calling a gimmick was Metroid Prime, now isn't that silly?
    The way I look at it. It won't be a gimmick, it won't be some stupid thing that won't work out, it won't be some "Blah, that got old.", it won't be "Why should I play something like that?", it won't be "My arms hurt, this is stupid." (maybe a little at first, but I think we'll get used to it). Like you said up there, Nintendo is in it to make money. Sony and Microsoft can throw out billions of dollars into their systems and guess and see "This might work.". Microsoft is making a handheld. They didn't learn from the PSP, the DS blew it out of the water because Nintendo owns the handheld market. But Microsoft is going to get in there and make a handheld of their own. They know there isn't a snow flakes chance in hell that their handheld will come out on top. But they're doing it anyway. Nintendo doesn't have that sort of money to throw away, they don't have the sort of money to guess on everything. I'm pretty sure they know your arms won't hurt when playing the Wii, I'm pretty sure no one will say "Blah, that got old.", and so on. I don't think they would try what they're trying unless they know it'll work. Sure they want to change the way of gaming, but at the same time they don't want to go under. They wouldn't have made the Wii the way it is if it would have turned out stupid and costed them big time. They tested it out, they thought about it, they worked on it and so on. And it paid off, E3 came around, everyone loved it (GS had a poll, who won E3, almost 50% said Ninendo), any poll on GS that has the Wii in it (doesn't matter if it's a PS3 poll or not) takes the lead. The Wii is getting so much great feedback that it's crazy, really really crazy. On GS' forums, the PS3 forum had 10-15K post lead. Then the Wii events came around. Within 2 days it passed the PS3 forum, now it has a 3K post lead. In 2 days it came up with 15K posts. That's just how much people want the Wii (sure a lot of it was people going "OMG the price" but beind that you had ones that understood it).
    I know I'm ranting. But, I have faith in Nitnendo that the Wii won't turn out crap. The ones that's making the games are falling all overthemself when it comes to the Wii. Most feedback from Wii games is positive feedback. And then you got all the people out there that wants the Wii. I don't think it'll fail, not unless Nintendo pulls something really really really stupid.

In other news, Robo has a Black DSLite. So, lets all track him down and the first to find him is the first to get his DSLite. XD

Morkula

Years
  • Touch the DS Lite and you die. XD

I've gotta say, it totally pwns the DS in every way except one. The d-pad and buttons feel really weird on the Lite, and it's kinda hard to do diagonals on the d-pad. Probably get used to it though.

In other news, did anyone else hear that Nintendo's capped ExciteTruck at two players, and that there are only two first-party titles that will support four players (Wii Sports and Mario Strikers Charged)? So much for the concept of "Wii" . x.x

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Andy, I'm right handed. But, yeah, I was planning on playing it left handed. XD Even though my cordination would be severly warped.

But the thing is, and even Nintendo has confirmed this, that because the Wii version of TP will not feature 1:1 control (meaning, if you swing to the right, Link will swing to the right) all lefties have to do is hold the remote in their left hand and the nunchuck in their right. It doesn't make a difference to the sensor bar. Even if there are more righties than lefties, we (righties) could've easily done what the lefties are now going to have to do since it doesn't make a difference to the sensor bar.

Mork, yeah, I heard that. There also isn't too many games taking advantage of the WFC either. @@ Darn. I want to face you guys in something.

...We should hold a PC Mario Kart DS competition. Dude, that'd be fun. Maybe I'll lift the frind code ban for a day or soemthing. I shall contemplate on this.

Morkula

Years
  • Hey, I'm always looking for new people to play on MKDS Wifi. My connection's back up and stable again, so just ask me on MSN or something. XD

Years
  • I'd love to be in an oline tournament! But it would be hard because I'd have to use McDonalds!
    Here's a quote to clear up the whole Opera browser thing.

"Internet browsing will require getting an Opera browser for the Wii," Fils-Aime said. "In Japan [Nintendo] announced that they will make it free for a limited time, but we're not sure what we are going to do here [in the US] yet."
    -Reggie Fils-Aime

Blaze

Shine On~
    Years
  • Ok, basically the Wii matter is one in which I'm actually disappointed I'm in Japan. If I spend the money to buy it here, it won't be compatible when I get back to the US and want to buy English games.

...I'll just sit here and cry, I really wanted the Wii. TP, PBR, all great games.

*Laughs evilily*

Anyways, I was one of the lucky ones to be able to pre order the Nintendo Wii~

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • We should hold a PC Mario Kart DS competition. Dude, that'd be fun. Maybe I'll lift the frind code ban for a day or soemthing. I shall contemplate on this.

Yes please! That's a great idea in your hands right there sweetie! *Gets ready to pwn everybody.* x3

Anyway, does anybody know what they want to get (besides TP) when the Wii comes out? *Sigh.* They just had to push Super Mario Galaxy and Metriod Prime 3. ;0; I guess I'll get Wii sports and Red Steel.

Latios Master

11 Year PC Member
    Years
  • We should hold a PC Mario Kart DS competition. Dude, that'd be fun. Maybe I'll lift the frind code ban for a day or soemthing. I shall contemplate on this.
    That would be cool. I would have to buy the game first though if I wanted to compete. I've had a DS since Christmas but I only have one game for it, one of those Nintendog games.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Jeremy, other than Twilight Princess I'm looking forward to Wario Ware: Smooth Moves. However, I won't be picking it up on launch day. I do want something for Christmas. XD

Morkula

Years
  • You won't be getting Warioware on launch day anyway - it's been pushed back to Q1 2007. Which sucks, because it was one of the games I was looking forward to and I was gonna try to get it for Christmas. x.x

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Woah? When did that happen? O_O

Darn. So, my only game is Twilight Princess, which isn't really a Wii game. That's...interesting?

EDIT: Alright, maybe Monkey Ball. I want something fun and quirky that would take great advantage of the controller (and made from the ground up for the Wii). If I can't have WarioWare, then I'll get Monkey Ball. Hopefully that'll have mini-games like in past installments. So that, plus Wii SPorts which is included, I should be covered for pick up and play Wiimore quirkiness.

Last edited:

Morkula

Years
  • I've actually never played Monkey Ball, so I doubt I'd pay $50 just to try it. I think I'd be better off getting one of the GC versions if I decided to try it out. =/

Excite Truck and Trauma Center are interesting me some too, but since Trauma Center's only a remake of the DS version, which I already have, I doubt I'll get it. Don't know about Excite Truck...

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • I was going to buy Wii Sports, but since it's in the box I'm happy.
    Anyway I'm going to buy LoZ: TP and Red Steel. If Pokemon comes out as a launch title then I'll also pick that up.

https://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=story&storyid=2440
    How much are you guys paying?

Me, after adding in a Classic Controller and 2000 Wii Points (I wasn't going to get it right off the bat, but I'm really thinking about it right now).
    I come up with $481.44 (that's with a 7% tax and with 2000 Wii Points and a Classic controller).
    And $438.65 (without the Classic Controller and 2000 Wii Points).

Oh, and the Wii can also play MP3s via the SD cards.

Back