• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No, no, no, don't tell me!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    No, no, no, don't tell me!

How do you feel about Spoilers?

Some people are so anti-spoilers that they don't want to know the ending of a book they never intend to read. Some people read every guide and review before they even touch a game, so they know every aspect of it inside and out. Some people get their kicks from spoiling things for others. :P

How do you feel about spoilers?

Do you like spoiling endings? Do you ask before you share an ending with someone how they feel about spoilers?

Years
    I am not a fan of spoilers. I like to experience the game first before anyone tells me, because there is a huge difference between someone telling you and you actually completing it.

If someone is playing the same game as me and I have finished it, I always look out to see where they are so I don't give anything away. I always ask to see where they are or if they mind me talking about a certain part of the game; if they don't want me to, I don't! Only because I know what it is like for an ending to be spoilt! =[​

Years
    I always end up reading some spoilers and will be like "It's gonna happen any second now" when actually playing the game. Things would probably be more fun without knowing parts of the story, but I never ever can seem to resist.

Years
    Spoilers annoy me a great deal when its in a game I'm half way through.

For example, I was halfway through MW2 campaign and all I hear down the mic in my xbox live party is
    Spoiler:
    that annoyed me quite a bit.

I feel its worse for movies though.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I am not a fan of spoilers. I like to experience the game first before anyone tells me, because there is a huge difference between someone telling you and you actually completing it.​

Forgot to answer my own question. xD; I use this same argument, but for spoilers. I've never cared about spoilers, because even if someone tells you what happens, the events leading up to it and the way it actually happens is always different. For example, my boyfriend was really upset that I learned in Persona 3 that:
    Spoiler:
    but I had absolutely no problem hearing about it and then playing it for myself.

I'm actually super sensitive to spoilers because of him though :P He's so anti-spoiler that he doesn't like when I get spoiled for something, even if I don't care, and I always have to ask if he ever plans on playing or reading something before I tell him about the end, because then he'll be spoiled and I'll feel bad. I had a friend when B/W came out that didn't want any spoilers for that, even Pokemon teams and typings in the Elite Four, and that was difficult. Plot spoilers? No problem. Gameplay spoilers? A bit more difficult to avoid while still talking about the game.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I don't care too much for story in video games; it certainly wouldn't be the focus, if at all present, in my ideal game. Given this, therefore the sorts of games I do play, there's nothing significant to spoil so I don't mind. I think developers should find more gameplay-driven ways to compel players to carry on; if I wanted a story, would I not read a book? The nice thing about free-form gameplay is that it can only be spoiled by the player getting too good, hence another penchant of mine is for games with steep learning curves.

Anyway, I'm going a bit beyond the scope of your question. At the end of it all, I would rather not have plot-points spoiled, but I don't ultimately care either way. Odds are the protagonist wins, maybe dying thereafter. It's nice though when things are affected by the player's actions, as in the Mass Effect series, and those are the sorts of games I'd rather not have spoiled; but again, if I do know what will happen while I'm enjoying it anyway, such knowledge doesn't kill a game for me.

As for me spoiling things for others, well, working on the principle of 'treat others how you wish to be treated', I may or may not go ahead if the subject comes up, suppose it depends on the exact detail. If I do, it's with no malicious intent, I just don't think it matters too much, so don't presume it so with others.

Years
    DEATH TO SPOILERS. I'm an extremist. It comes from the fact I like exploring the game my own way. I see previews or read reviews on very rare times. If I see too much and get obsessive when the real thing comes it wouldn't be such a blast now would it?

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
    Years
    I hate them. Yet I almost ALWAYS click spoiler tags out of curiosity. And then proceed to ruin the game/anime/show I'm watching/playing.

Kind of like Clannad for which I spoiled that

Spoiler:

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
    I kind of like and dislike spoilers, but it depends on what it is. If it's for a game that I really like, then I don't want spoilers for it at all because it will ruin the experience, but if it is for a game that I don't like, then I get spoilers because I could care less about the game anyways.

I don't like spoiling endings for people unless they specifically ask me to tell them. I usually do but unless it is a game worth the wait without spoilers, I just simply tell them they have to find out for themselves.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I despise spoilers so much, especially when almost all of my friends got the best game evar and I'm left wondering what happens. Some of my friends were pretty nice enough to *spoil* the ending, which ruins my reputation for playing the game.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    I think people who go around posting spoilers are inconsiderate little pricks. I can't stand them, and I can't stand spoilers. If you want to talk or comment about something that happened in the game/book/movie/anime/show/whatever then talk to your friends who are at least where you're at in the story. I don't need some random nobody to comment on a YouTube vid saying "OMG I was so sad when ... died!".

FFVII spoiler
    Spoiler:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I don't really mind spoilers; i still have fun with the game regardless of whether I read spoilers or not.

Before I spoil something to someone, I ask them if they want to hear it first.

hazard master

Self Proclaimed Genius
    Years
    If someone spoils something for me then, well, tough titties. For example

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    I have spoiled only 1 game dor me and thar was FFXIII after my save file corrpted 3 times on me I just didn't want to play through 12 chapters again and only really have the ending left.

But normally I hate spoilers. I tend to buy a game and complete it within the first few.

and dam this thread ruined fallout 3 for me now. no point picking that up. lol

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
    How do you feel about spoilers? If I plan on reading the book, playing the game, or watching the movie I am completely anti-spoiler. Likewise, I don't think spoilers should be posted on a public forum or discussed in a room until the book/game/movie has been out for a reasonable amount of time and that if it is discussed on a forum, there should be a spoiler warning either in the title of the thread or before the post.

Do you like spoiling endings? Do you ask before you share an ending with someone how they feel about spoilers? No and always. Sometimes I'm so excited about the game or book or movie that I feel I have to explain it to someone. However, I usually only talk about endings to games with people I know won't play the game anyway. And for everything else, I ask the person if they mind first.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
    How do you feel about spoilers?
    I...am an impatient person. I will seriously go to Wiki or the game's personal Wiki site (if it's popular enough to have its own Wiki site, be it something like Bulbapedia or something on Wikia) to see how the game ends. Especially if I get bored with it.

Do you like spoiling endings? Do you ask before you share an ending with someone how they feel about spoilers?
    While I don't mind spoiling myself, I dislike spoiling endings to others unless they really want to know. I would definitely ask them before spoiling anything.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
    THE ULTIMATE SPOILER!
    Spoiler:

lol, I like spoiling stuff for others. Seriously. By the way, "Aeris/Aerith dies" isn't really a spoiler considering IT'S ON THE BACK OF THE BOX.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I usually don't play games that has spoilers. I am just not into those type of games. I usually don't mind spoilers of anything(book, anime, tv, movie, manga) because then it gets me excited of what is to come. But I will make sure not to tell anyone else about it. I want them to know for themselves. I don't want to ruin everyone's fun.

Pretty much I probably will forget about it til that scene comes. So it doesn't bother me.

PoketalkCreator

Just Some *****
    Years
    I also don't mind spoilers. I realize that it's just a game anyway, and completing the spoiled task is fun no matter what. For the idea that spoiling ruins the game, i say no to it. If you're a real gamer it shouldn't matter to you. No offense to anyone :P

Back