• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga NP: The Theory of Slice of Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • Never cared for Kirito or Asuna so obviouly I'm not gonna complain. Was just wondering if they will make an appearance or not.

It is a universally accepted opinion that Gintama has a very weak start. Which makes it hard for people to get into it. But then it goes on to have highs so high that it'll probably end up as one of your favorites. Best comedy anime imo, better shounen than most shounen, better drama than 90% other anime I have seen, a huge but amazing character cast (at least 20+ important characters) with their own special traits that make them all unique and they're all so damn dumb but loveable. Combine it with some of the best Openings and ost in general I have seen/heard and you have an awesomesauce anime.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Never cared for Kirito or Asuna so obviouly I'm not gonna complain. Was just wondering if they will make an appearance or not.
    Plot twist: Kirito is actually one of these girls.

...I would not be surprised.

derozio

Years
  • Spoiler:

Ruinedforever. Kill it with fire.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Spoiler:

Ruinedforever. Kill it with fire.
    Spoiler:

derozio

Years
  • Well, I'll still watch it to see how it ends up being in comparison to its predecessor. One of my LN reader friends (besides Netto) said that the next arc is much better than what was covered in SAO. So there's that.

The anime that I want the most right now and one that would make me shout 'YAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY' at the top of my voice would be a sequel to Gintama': Enchousen. My life would be complete then. That, and a proper Pokemon anime. Former is a guarentee as the sales of series in japan have been great but proper pokeani is a dream. Sadly.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I already got my Hajime no Ippo sequel, so I dunno what else is there.

I GUESS...less of a sequel, but more wanting another Adachi Mitsuru manga anime adaption. I read Mix for a bit and I liked it I guess, it's kinda like Cross Game x Touch.
    I got H2 to watch after I finish Touch so I don't exactly crave for more of his work, and I'd probably be burned out by then.

Years
  • SAO sucks don't watch it.

Spoiler:

Anyways I would have gotten into Gintama if it had the right hook. I'll just read the manga first then.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Gintama manga is no way near as good. Comedy is all about timing and that is much harder to achieve in manga format.

Not to mention the music and fantastic voice cast being a massive draw for me.

derozio

Years
  • Oh netto, here I am keeping a completely open mindset about SAO2 and expecting it to be a good animu (I even said I believed you and another LN friend of mine who said the next arc is good right??) and there you go saying stuff like that. Breaks mah heart. ;(

And yeah. I personally think Gintama anime is perfect when it comes to voice acting, ost and pacing.

P.S - Ruinedforever thing was a joke. Doesn't mean I'm not watching it. Or watching just to bash it. I wanna have some fun, that is all. :p

derozio

Years
  • Said series works in arcs, if I'm not wrong. A series can have good and bad arcs. SAO2 might cover a good one is what I'm hoping.

And series can get better over time as well. I never expected Gintama to be as good as it actually is. The first 20-30 (around the length of SAO) episodes just do not do proper justice to the whole series imo, for example. Same could be the case for SAO as a series.

derozio

Years
  • Well, again, taking gintama as an example - I thought the initial episodes were a boring mess. It did make me chuckle here and there but it was a 5-5.5 show at best. But now it sits at a solid 10 for me and is my #1 anime. Shows generally don't jump that high for anyone. But Gintama did. Similarly, a sequel to a mediocre series is either worse or more of the same. Generally, yes. But you can't be certain unless you experience it yourself. Gintama has shown that it becomes much, much better - so much that it isn't even funny. I can hope other series can do it as well. Whether or not they do is something we'll find out when they come out. Won't be forming an opinion before that.

Years
  • Its better to have low expectations or not expect anything at all. :P

Go see it if it turns out well. But I don't expect anyone who's deadset to prove that its bad to change their minds anyways. Though most of the time I do see that reading the source work does enlighten things a bit.

derozio

Years
  • Oh yes, I agree. Which is why I'm hoping for it to be good. Not expecting anything.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Comedy is better when you know the characters, those early episodes serve as a getting-to-know-you phase for the show. If you go and rewatch those now I'm 90% you will enjoy them more than you did first time round. People speak about it like the episodes are awful and then suddenly it turns into the best thing ever, for me it is a total myth. It does get better and better, yes, but it was never bad.

SAO is an entirely different type of series to Gintama so I'm not sure why you are comparing tbh.

derozio

Years
  • They weren't awful. They were decent. But decent doesn't come anywhere near the heights the series achieved later on for me.

I'm comparing them because there's a huge difference between the quality of stuff that comes later on in the series and the stuff that was there in the initial episodes. I rewatched the first few episodes recently and I admit that, yes, I like them better now that I know the characters. But that doesn't change the fact that even the jokes feel MUCH, MUCH more organic and funnier later on in the series. I guess this can be subjective but it is true for me. I mean, even after watching the first few episodes again, all they manage to get out of me is a smile or a chuckle. Compare this to what later arcs did - quite recently, Omnyoji Arc had me in stitches. I teared up, got stomach pains and couldn't breath properly for half an hour. BIG DIFFERENCE.

And sure, SAO is mostly character driven action fantasy with romance and harem in it while Gintama is mostly comedy with drama and action in a few serious arcs. They're different, yes. But the point I was trying to make doesn't have to do with their genre - I only wanted to say that series can get better over time. They don't generally. But sometimes they can.

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • I hope it stays hilariously bad, at least that way I can get some enjoyment out of it. If it say improved to being a 3 or 4 out of 10 show I'd probably just drop it. First series was objectively a 1 but because I got some cheap laughs I gave it a 2.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back