• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nurse Joy & the Pokémon Center

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Um... if you're playing an RPG, surely you should be fine with small repetetive animations... that's pretty much what makes up everything in Pokemon games, really.

Still, I think, say: after you black/white out it shouldn't go through the text and animation, but start with the player character outside the Centre's door with fully-healed Pokemon. So only when you go into the centre it'll do it. Retains the obligatory hospitality line and hopefully saves the player a few seconds when it can be omitted without it seeming strange.

Last edited:

Cid

Years
    Probably because it was how it should be.
    Pokémon is and I think will always be for everyone, even for the next generation, and sometimes newbies have no idea what Pokémon centers are.
    Also, it was how she was programmed, so let her do what she wants.

Besides, she's not the only one making repetitive interactions, and let's thank her for not saying anything worse.

joehat

Yay
    Years
    If it's a GBA ROM it's the SpaceBar

Do you use VBA? If you put the volume on off and mute at the same time (I usually listen to my own music when playing anyway), the game runs faster than usual, but not as fast as if you were using the speed toggle. I find the speed toggle too fast because it becomes hard move your character in the correct position or navigate menus.

But it definitely helps when visiting the Pokemon Center. The only time Nurse Joy should give you the whole run down IMO is your first time visiting a Pokemon Center in a new city or town. It would be cool if she (or other NPC's) recognized you if you ever talked to them again although that's not speeding anything up. I just think it'd be kinda cool if the NPC's had more stuff to say, except Nurse Joy haha.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    Well I'm a return customer at the mall store that sells all the EV raising items so they could call me by name.

I don't really mind Nurse Joys speach, except the "would you like me to heal them again?" part. Like did you not do a good enough job the first time?

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Nurse Joy doesnt say that ur mom does. to the on above me.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Oh god, it's a Nurse Joy thread. I hate her. Why can't I just go into the Pokemon Center and she automatically takes my Pokemon and heals them for me? But no - I have to be nice and let her say the exact same things every twenty minutes when I need a quick heal.

zurieau

Flamboyant.
    Years
    I usually don't read the dialogue box either, so I didn't listen to her when she was telling me about how my Pokemon have Pokerus. @_@
    Karma.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Yeah, well I visit the pokemon center a lot...and I think she is just trying to be very polite to us all...especially since Japanese itself has strong beliefs in respect and manners...So it would make sence...

Sweet Speed

Smile...
    Years
    What if someone is new and doesn't know what she does? This is just to reinform people about what she does. I mean I don't even get bothered by it because you just get used to it and, in my eyes, It's nothing to complain about.

MindScar

p0kemn Hax0r
    Years
    For me Nurse Joy is a pain. I mean i know she has good intentions, but she says the same exact thing over and over again.

They should give her some new things to say, lol.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I actually agree with what some ppl said above that there are newer little kids coming into pokemon these days and for them to understand what Nurse Joy does, she needs to say the same thing in every new game they come out with...it makes sence, plus at least she is poilite, unlike sme ppl u meet in the real world...

Candace

Beauty Trainer
    Years
    The only thing that annoys me about the Poké Center is when Joy says "Thank you, hope to see you again! =D" ...she WANTS my Pokémon to get seriously beat up?

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Yea, i hate it when she says that over and over again, i just speed through the text keeps pressing A and when she finished healing my pokemon I accidentally talked to her again, its so frustrating.

invisible-chan

~Pocky Goddess~
    Years
    No--when someone walks into -some- stores/restauarants, the cashier or whomever may have some lame line to say EVERY time, like 'Welcome to Good Burger, home of the Good Burger. Can I take your order?' They'll say that line every time someone comes to them regardless if they're a new and braindead customer or the regular who gets coffee there every morning. I s'pose the same goes for pkmn centers--it's politeness.
    I love you. XD But I also thoroughly agree. It's a mantra that has to be said. It's in their contract.

Shedinjareese

Undercover Rocket
    Years
    That was slightly rude and off-topic. If you're just going to post insults that aren't on topic, then you probably shouldn't post in that thread~

I think that user was actually referring to "your mom" in the game. Haha, I thought it was strange at first too, til I realized that your game-mom does say that.

I'm glad people have their opinions on this! I've been curious for a while if I'm the only one who thinks it's a bit long... but yeah I mean it's not too bad. Still though, rest houses are nice bc they cut right to the chase, and I tend to be a little freaked out when all my Pokemon are dead (except the one, who's inevitably poisoned or such) and Nurse Joy's taking her time (even though I know once you're there, you're safe).

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    It is very annoying, but I just press 'B,B,B,B,B' until she shuts up and I can leave XD

If I press 'A,A,A,A,A,A,A' she would just start talking again :(

Back