• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Occupy Wall Street

Years
    Have you seen the state that California's public universities are in? The CSU regents just enacted a 9% tuition increase in anticipation of the CA DREAM Act.

Illegal immigrants do have personhood. They have the same rights as everyone else. They have due process rights, freedom of speech rights, search and seizure rights, etc. Higher education is not a right.

I think these Occupiers, at least the ones here, are confused if they really believe we can decrease tuition while at the same time allow illegals a free ride.

The universities gain money by having these students come to their schools on financial aid because the schools themselves get the money from the federal government. The CSU system is benefiting from the DREAM Act by allowing more students to apply for financial aid to attend their schools. Does the DREAM Act treat those it makes eligible as residents of California and therefore have the state government there subsidize some of their costs if they do get financial aid and get admitted?

I'm hoping to see some Occupy sympathizers or protestors in office this time next year.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    The universities gain money by having these students come to their schools on financial aid because the schools themselves get the money from the federal government. The CSU system is benefiting from the DREAM Act by allowing more students to apply for financial aid to attend their schools. Does the DREAM Act treat those it makes eligible as residents of California and therefore have the state government there subsidize some of their costs if they do get financial aid and get admitted?

I'm hoping to see some Occupy sympathizers or protestors in office this time next year.

Incorrect.

Federal law does not allow illegal immigrants to receive federal financial aid. The aid is purely state aid. (Cal Grant, BOG Free Waivers, etc.) It also gives them in-state tuition discounts, meaning that the state will collect even less revenue from these students.

Years
    Incorrect.

Federal law does not allow illegal immigrants to receive federal financial aid. The aid is purely state aid. (Cal Grant, BOG Free Waivers, etc.) It also gives them in-state tuition discounts, meaning that the state will collect even less revenue from these students.

Ah yes, those horribly atrocious "illegal immigrants." Sucking off the welfare teat and taking university seats from American citizens.

Seriously though, blaming the CA Dream act for that 9% tuition increase? I thought it was because the CA Legislature is cutting $600 Million off higher education funding?

https://www.sanmatean.com/cuts-force-another-csu-tuition-increase-1.2726592#.TuCCgWO5P1Q

The California State Universities were forced to raise tuition by another nine percent starting fall 2012 due to an increased drop in state funding.
    The decision, finalized by CSU trustees on Nov. 16, will affect undergraduate and graduate students.

Then again until the Passage of the California Dream Act a few months ago these "illegal immigrants" were forced to pay out of pocket for much of their tuition, you know what they are called right? AB 540 students, who were able to get in-state tuition rates. That was the only recourse they had until recently when they could apply for Cal Grants. And even then in order to obtain said grants they have to qualify within the income bracket.

https://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/09/local/la-me-brown-dream-act-20111009

The California Department of Finance estimates 2,500 additional students will qualify for Cal-Grants as a result of the Dream Act, at a cost of $14.5 million.

The Cal-Grant program costs $1.4 billion, so about 1% of all Cal-Grant funds could be affected

A lot of these "illegal immigrants" work as hard as other college students sometimes even more since the lack of financial aid makes them lean towards multiple jobs and private high interest loans. (Since as you point out they can't apply for Federal Financial Aid)

Last edited:

Bela

Banned
    Years

Ah yes, those horribly atrocious "illegal immigrants." Sucking off the welfare teat and taking university seats from American citizens.

Seriously though, blaming the CA Dream act for that 9% tuition increase? I thought it was because the CA Legislature is cutting $600 Million off higher education funding?

https://www.sanmatean.com/cuts-force-another-csu-tuition-increase-1.2726592#.TuCCgWO5P1Q

Then again until the Passage of the California Dream Act a few months ago these "illegal immigrants" were forced to pay out of pocket for much of their tuition, you know what they are called right? AB 540 students, who were able to get in-state tuition rates. That was the only recourse they had until recently when they could apply for Cal Grants. And even then in order to obtain said grants they have to qualify within the income bracket.

A lot of these "illegal immigrants" work as hard as other college students sometimes even more since the lack of financial aid makes them lean towards multiple jobs and private high interest loans. (Since as you point out they can't apply for Federal Financial Aid)

This is a wonderful post that perfectly clears up the issue of California State University tuition increases. =)

To get back on topic,

TRIFORCE89 said:
    they're taking the occupy part of this a little too seriously I think

I don't see what the problem is with peacefully assembling in public spaces. There's a lot that's wrong with this country, and indeed the world. It seems many will be quick to turn to distractions related to the movement. Distractions such as "they're breaking the law," "they're being off-topic (wtf, are they posting in a thread?)," "Look there's a purported statistical anomaly of human behavior that I don't like happening within a group of people--now stop protesting!" It seems like this all gets away from the main point of all of this--that the system is broken.

Focus on what the _real_ issue is: corporate money in politics! It's been suggested several times in this thread that we should seek to remove our elected officials by voting for somebody else, but it doesn't seem to occur to anybody that people have already been doing this--to no avail. You remove one corporate-controlled candidate only to install another one.

Until you get the corporate money out of politics, your elected officials are not going to represent you! Instead, you're going to have the few anomalies like Bernie Sanders and Ron Paul who have their own popular followings.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    The system is broken yes. Does that mean that this protest should be exempt from the law? No.

If they want to protest, they can. But they need to do so in a legal manner, unless they want to give the 1% a way to downplay the movement. The media coverage from them breaking various laws? Thats run by the 1%. Want to stop that? Stop giving the 1% ammo to use then.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
    I don't see what the problem is with peacefully assembling in public spaces.

I work with the police a lot. And people seem to have a misunderstanding by what a public place is. Not everywhere you think is a public space is indeed public. Even a park can be closed come night time. At when it is closed it you can, and hopefully will, get arrested for tresspassing. Even a street can be closed.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    The system is broken yes. Does that mean that this protest should be exempt from the law? No.

If they want to protest, they can. But they need to do so in a legal manner, unless they want to give the 1% a way to downplay the movement. The media coverage from them breaking various laws? Thats run by the 1%. Want to stop that? Stop giving the 1% ammo to use then.

Funny thing about media coverage is that the one percent blacked them out when it was their turn to commit illegal acts (the very act of media blocking itself). The table is tilted folks. The game is rigged. Nobody seems to notice. Nobody seems to care.

Not justifying illegal actions. Not "two wrongs make a right". Just pointing out that while we're being portrayed as a bunch of goalless, lawbreaking bums, our first amendment rights to a free press are being violated.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

Yes. Let's cut higher education funding yet think we're going to somehow afford giving illegals a free ride. We're not the Feds. We can't just print money.

The DREAM Act also creates "special" grants and loans for the undocumented.

Back on topic, a lot of Occupy encampments have been getting raided and arrested lately. And rightly so.

Last edited:

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    You pick the best times to go on vacation without Internet, Netto.

So instead of protesting the cuts to educational funding, you just want to take away the aid and further burden students who have met the criteria necessary to receive help from the system to take the first step in improving their lives? In other words, big banks and big business take jobs and opportunities away, and you believe that marginalizing a group of people in America and blaming them for all of our problems will solve everything? Make do with what we get and let our owners continue screwing us over? You really have absolutely no fraking clue what this movement is about, do you?

Also, while it does not sit well with me that Occupy was being evicted, the "occupation" did begin to become stagnant. It pleases me to see though that Occupy is starting to organize a lot more direct action protests in steed of the evictions.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    So instead of protesting the cuts to educational funding, you just want to take away the aid and further burden students who have met the criteria necessary to receive help from the system to take the first step in improving their lives? In other words, big banks and big business take jobs and opportunities away, and you believe that marginalizing a group of people in America and blaming them for all of our problems will solve everything? Make do with what we get and let our owners continue screwing us over? You really have absolutely no fraking clue what this movement is about, do you?

Also, while it does not sit well with me that Occupy was being evicted, the "occupation" did begin to become stagnant. It pleases me to see though that Occupy is starting to organize a lot more direct action protests in steed of the evictions.

Why protest without substance? In order to protest the cuts properly, which I have been doing, there needs to be a plan to save money so the cuts aren't necessary. Big banks and big businesses have nothing to do with this. This is a result of trying to run a nanny state.

The Occupiers here where whining the other day with no plans on what to do. We should end corporate welfare, end welfare, move towards a personalized Social Security and Medicare system, cut defense spending, and less regulations on banks and businesses.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    From what I've read so far, even if you get rid of illegals, the cuts would still be there. I honestly wonder what could be causing this drop in state funding then. Hm... Couldn't possibly be the banks and businesses that are resting easy and continuing to make huge profits from the Bush tax cuts (this means that they're not nearly giving back to the government what they should be). Nope.

Bela

Banned
    Years
    Mr. X said:

I work with the police a lot. And people seem to have a misunderstanding by what a public place is. Not everywhere you think is a public space is indeed public. Even a park can be closed come night time. At when it is closed it you can, and hopefully will, get arrested for tresspassing. Even a street can be closed.

I don't understand why your allegiances to the law supersede the rights of the people they were made for to express their views and to peacefully assemble in an area that is, yes, intended for public use.

The "human microphone" that these occupy protests use is due to them not being granted the permission to get a megaphone. The fact that Zucotti park was evicted was because Mayor Bloomberg decided to disregard a judge's injunction which specifically stated that he could NOT do that. Injunctions have been successfully granted in several other protests, which means they cannot be evicted by the police until they have a hearing.

Now think what this means. You mean a judge thought the protesters should be able to stay, pending a hearing? You mean the NY mayor disregarded this and evicted Zucotti Park anyway? Do you read no disdain for the occupy movement into this at all? Do you think Bloomberg did so in the name of discouraging tresspassing?

You can argue that you agree with what these protesters are saying and that what these protesters are doing is unlawful, but I will contend that your legal objections lend timid, disingenuous support to these protesters. This isn't just some special interest protest. This is literally the most important thing you could be protesting in this country at this time. Do you really think that these accusations of "breaking the law" are REALLY about the littering, or are REALLY about the tresspassing? Do you think Bloomberg REALLY was concerned about Zucotti Park being cleaned when he wanted to evict the protesters? When a people are in desperation, have voted time and again and see no change, when all they have left in this country is the ability to physically occupy space, and your government wants to infringe upon you your ability to do even that, I find myself alarmed that there are people who are not alarmed by this.

Consider an old law against wearing masks that led to some arrests, for example. This was the legal thrust the police were working with initially at Zucotti park, and tells me that these "lawbreaking" arguments are as much a distraction as the fabrications about littering, drug use, and RAPE that have been cried by those whose real problems are with that of the Occupy movement itself.

I would rather have a discussion about income inequality, a deregulated Wall Street, corporate money in politics, and all the effects this has on us, than I would about whether or not the people trying to bring light to this issue should be allowed to occupy a public space. It's mostly because I find saying no to that a stupid argument to make, one that is only made by somebody who either isn't aware of the context for which such accusations are being made, or somebody who would rather avert their eyes from the context and wish not to think that the law is being used here as a convenient way to quash a genuine, well-intentioned protest.

jpp8 said:
    Just pointing out that while we're being portrayed as a bunch of goalless, lawbreaking bums, our first amendment rights to a free press are being violated.

Not to mention the first amendment rights of free speech and peaceful assembly, which seems to be held in equal disdain.

But to get to what I really want to talk about here: income inequality, Wall Street's deregulation, and corporate money in politics.

Ah hell. I'm too tired now and I'm sure you've all heard it before.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    From what I've read so far, even if you get rid of illegals, the cuts would still be there. I honestly wonder what could be causing this drop in state funding then. Hm... Couldn't possibly be the banks and businesses that are resting easy and continuing to make huge profits from the Bush tax cuts (this means that they're not nearly giving back to the government what they should be). Nope.

The Bush tax cuts are federal. They have nothing to do with STATE colleges. California has some of the highest state taxes in the nation.

The Bush tax cuts are necessary to keep people's taxes low. They stimulate the economy by encouraging consumer spending and job growth.

Also "income inequality" is not the government's problem. There are some people who are less fortunate than others. We're not a communist state.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    Banks making record profits while record tuition hikes are happening. Must be no correlation at all.

Occupy Wall Street

WHAT RECORD UNEMPLOYMENT? WOW. JUST LOOK AT ALL THE JOBS GROWTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!ONE-BILLION ONE-HUNDRED--ELEVEN-MILLION ONE-HUNDRED-ELEVEN-THOUSAND ONE-HUNDRED-ELEVEN
    Trickle down theory and supply side economics are retarded and have been shown to be ineffective. Nothing trickled down from the tax cuts and the economic situation only got temporarily better just like what will happen if we deregulate businesses and banks; good for short term, bad for long term (see: Great Depression).

"Some people are less fortunate than others". Yep. If people are poor, it's because luck or they were lazy. While the richest, some of whom may have been born into it, got there because of hard work. Certainly not because of a system that favors them immensely.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Banks making record profits while record tuition hikes are happening. Must be no correlation at all.

Occupy Wall Street

WHAT RECORD UNEMPLOYMENT? WOW. JUST LOOK AT ALL THE JOBS GROWTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!ONE-BILLION ONE-HUNDRED--ELEVEN-MILLION ONE-HUNDRED-ELEVEN-THOUSAND ONE-HUNDRED-ELEVEN
    Trickle down theory and supply side economics are retarded and have been shown to be ineffective. Nothing trickled down from the tax cuts and the economic situation only got temporarily better just like what will happen if we deregulate businesses and banks; good for short term, bad for long term (see: Great Depression).

"Some people are less fortunate than others". Yep. If people are poor, it's because luck or they were lazy. While the richest, some of whom may have been born into it, got there because of hard work. Certainly not because of a system that favors them immensely.

The poor need to go to school, work hard, and rise above their situation. They should not expect others to take care of them.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    They shouldn't. So why do rich white guys in business suits get that privilege? "You wrecked the economy? Shame. Here's a bailout. And have some tax cuts while you're at it. Just continue to supply us with $$$, kay? -Love, Bought System." Do you honestly believe the whole "bootstraps" argument will fly in today's education and job environment? YOU. HAVE. NO. CLUE. WHAT. THIS. MOVEMENT. IS. ABOUT.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
    The poor need to go to school, work hard, and rise above their situation. They should not expect others to take care of them.

Are the poor supposed to magically be able to afford the ever rising costs of education? Do you know what poor means?

I know many people with 2 or even 3 jobs that can still barely afford college education ALONE, yet still have to pay for that AND their bills, and even with 3 paychecks they are unable to keep up on everything.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Are the poor supposed to magically be able to afford the ever rising costs of education? Do you know what poor means?

I know many people with 2 or even 3 jobs that can still barely afford college education ALONE, yet still have to pay for that AND their bills, and even with 3 paychecks they are unable to keep up on everything.

It's not that expensive. Annual tuition is here is $6,890. Community colleges are less than $1,000 for annual tuition. There are also scholarships out there for assistance. If there's a will, there's a way.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    oh. my. god. ARE YOU REALLY THIS DENSE, FREAKY? Listen. Let me make this clear for you since you clearly don't understand:

1. There are VERY LITTLE jobs out there. Saying "just get a job" is not that simple.
    2. Higher education tuition rates are at an all time high. When one is paying off a house, a car, bills, debt, and other necessities, sometimes tuition and grants just aren't enough for some families. ESPECIALLY since, most of the time, going to school means giving up a full time job.
    3. Unemployment is at an all time high. Again, people can't find work.
    4. Meanwhile, banks are making record profits after causing the financial crisis in America.
    5. Banks and Business can continue to do so because they BOUGHT our government through supporting politicians who share their interests. We are sick and tired of this injustice caused by this bought system and how the top one percent of wage owners benefit from it, while the bottom 99 percent are expected to pay for the damage they caused and be content with it.

Back