• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

oh ew, it has Timid

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
Years
  • I definitely do when breeding. As for catching, I usually don't care. And if I do, I can just use synchronize and call it a day. 10% can make a big difference, so I make sure that the nature is the right one.

Lobotronix

mhm!
    Years
  • I only care about natures when I'm breeding competitive Pokemon.
    For normal playthroughs I don't think it matters. Unfortunately when playing Pokemon Moon I caught myself being bothered by bad natures way more than I should.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Yeah, I don't really care too much for natures either, unless its something really really bad. Thoughthat mostly applies to nuzruns where I have to live with what I get. I confess I'm more picky in regular play hehe.

But sometimes, nowadays I like to see small bad natures as good thing in a way it could make the game more challenging so there's....that.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Often times I pay attention to Nature, but other times I play casually and don't care at all about natures.Nature may be unfavorable if negatively on competive play or during tough battles

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I care in breeding but if it's a big project that take time and after 300 Pokemon I don't have a good nature (if I couldn't assure this nature before) I will stop when I get an okay nature even if it's not the best one.

As for my In-games I kinda care if I know it's a Pokemon I want to breed later, as it's one step done.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • Not really much, I'm not really into competitive battling.
    I appreciate Synchronize though.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    No idea what everyone's talking about with "Synchronize", is that a Gen VI(I) thing?

I do care about natures somewhat although I will eventually tire of soft-resetting for a starter, and if a Pokémon's IVs can be measured and are good I'll settle considering the only reason I EV train is for Battle Frontier. Once HgSs introduced the colourings in the stats screen showing the nature I started to care more as every time I looked at its moves I'd get a reminder than my Sneasel was getting its defence boosted at the expense of its attack, for example.

One reason I hate having roaming pokémon is that if you're not using Master Ball, it takes so long to check their natures and start over so I never bother - ended up training a Docile Latios in Emerald.

Years
  • Sometimes I do, but if the Pokemon has both a bad nature and bad IVs, I will consider it a reject. Thankfully Hyper Training in Sun & Moon is a huge help with the IV problem, even if my Bewear was the only one who used it at the moment (she had 0 HP IVs so it was a good test).

Flan

has the bird flu.
    Years
    • Age 27
    • NYC
    • Seen Oct 15, 2017
    I spent too many hours yesterday breeding to get the proper nature and IVs on a Porygon so I could use it as a Porygon2 in a local tournament. I didn't stop until I saw it was Sassy, had 0 SPD IVs and 31 IVs in all other stats. To begin with, I didn't even have a 0 SPD Ditto nor a Sassy Porygon, so it was chain-breeding all the way.

It was awful, but yes, I care that much maybe too much lol. I only use Bottle Caps/Hyper Train for good-natured shinies or legendaries with lacking IVs.

Last edited:

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I do ever since I read into them, but depending on what I wanna use the Pokémon for (in-game or Battle Frontier/competitive) I either go for an okay nature or don't settle for less than ideal. I hate, hate, hate natures that reduce Defense because Pokémon with low Defense stat always get kicked out of battle so easily. It's too damn inconvenient and frustrating, and the main reason I replaced Pokémon in my in-game team if I ever did so. I care less about IVs unless the stats are really low, so for in-game I don't seek out the Pokémon with best IVs - only a good nature and decent overall stats. If I need a Pokémon for competitve or a Battle Frontier team, I try to use RNG to find Pokémon with both a good nature and IVs. So far I only capture and don't breed; it's too tedious IMO.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I'm not sure when it actually started, but if you have a Pokémon with Synchronize in your party, wild Pokémon have a 50% chance of having the same nature as it.

Ah right yeah. Looked it up - it was from Emerald onwards, and in ORAS any gift pokémon will match natures.

Guess I never realised this because its so rare I use a pokémon with Synchronise.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I'm not sure when it actually started, but if you have a Pokémon with Synchronize in your party, wild Pokémon have a 50% chance of having the same nature as it.

My brain exploded when I read your post.

I also had to look this up and couldn't freaking believe this was a thing and how it is possible I have been playing so long without knowing this.

... Anyways... I only care about natures when I'm in the end game process and mass breeding competitive pokemon.
    When I do the initial play through however, pokemon games are easy, so there's no reason for me to actually care about a pokemon's nature. I let my play through team have what ever natures they may get when caught in the wild, makes the game a tiny bit more challenging, and also the random natures kind of give imaginary personalities to my play through team.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2019
    i try not to
    when i first play through the game i won't usually go back and redo a catch unless it's just a god awful nature
    mostly its just during breeding

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I've pretty much always ignored natures during the storyline, even in the post-game until the later days of Diamond & Pearl when I got into competitive breeding. Now I'm back to not really minding natures as far as random Shinies go (having imperfect natures make them all that more unique imo), but it I'll still try for the best nature possible when breeding them.

In Sun & Moon, the Shiny I most wanted to get was Alolan Sandslash (my favorite design this Gen). I initially tried breeding for one in the post-game and even tried SOS chaining a couple times, but I eventually grew tired of it and decided to casually browse through the region when a Shiny Alolan Sandshrew of all things popped up! Despite having a terrible nature (+Speed -Defense), I made her a member of my main team anyway. I also accidentally got a Shiny Porygon2 in Platinum while SRing for a different nature and, because it's one of my favorites, I added it to my team as well.

Tahki and Codec are currently the only members of my team with "bad" natures (the others were either purposely bred or happy accidents), but I'm currently bouncing back-and-forth between HGSS and Moon trying for a full-odds male Shiny Burmy in an Apricorn Ball. While I'm breeding for an ideal nature in Moon, if I find one in HGSS instead, I'll add it to my team regardless of nature. I'd actually prefer finding one in HGSS.

Last edited:

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • On occasion, yes. Usually I tend to catch some 'mons for Pokédex purposes, but if it comes to the species I wanted to use for battle with, this can matter at times because each different natures can affect what stats that Pokémon will excel at.

Back