• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Oh Noes, Teh Gym Leader Used a Full Restore!!!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
  • It's frustrating, but it's just something you have to deal with. And because it's predictable when they'll use it, you can use that to your advantage or plan ahead so they don't use them. I usually lead off with a weaker attack to get it down to about half HP, then nail them for the KO.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • The funniest part is, it's not even an advantage. We can do it as well, we just don't. Instead, we just choose to continue pounding them like an idiotic heavy offense team until our pokemon fall apart.

Rainflower

분홍신
    Years
  • Urgh, I hate it when it happens, especially when my Vaporeon has already used Aurora Beam for several times and it got Earthquake'd and Dragon Rush'd by Cynthia's Garchomp after she used Full Restore >>

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • My typical stradegy is usually:

Porygon-Z used Tri-Attack!

X used attack.

trainer used Full Restore!

Porygon-Z used Nasty Plot!

Porygon-Z used Hyper Beam!

X fainted!

*Shifts to next Porygon-Z*

Rinse, repeat. Works every time!
    (Accept for ghosts.)

Wait,

Better yet:

Porygon-Z used Nasty Plot!

X used attack.

Porygon-Z used Hyper Beam!

X fainted!

Aro-kun

Pokemon trainer
    Years
  • That is sooo annoying! but good thing every trainer doesnt do that. but in some hacks normal trainers do it to.....*Cough* Liquid crystal *cough*
    But i tend to predict when they're gonna do it and use it to my advantage.

Syphr

Happy to meet new people ^^
    Years
  • Yes, most of you haven't witnessed it yet but..

Whitney in HG/SS anyone?

xDangerous

Superfly Sister
    Years
  • Annoys me too :/ BUT I have a trick.

I use a not very strong move at first to chip away a little bit of their HP until I take away about a half of their HP. Then I use a strong move to finish them off.

Years
  • Yeah, it's just one of those things you have to deal with. When I'm battling gym leaders (or some other "boss"), I just change up my strategy a little. For example, when their pokemon is in the red zone, rather than using a weak move for the kill, I'll still use my strongest attack knowing they'll heal their pokemon.

But usually, if you can at least pull a 2HKO, you're fine. It's the 3HKOs and 4HKOs that get you in trouble with potions.

And yes, I've seen situations where gym leaders use more than two potions on one pokemon. Heck, I've seen Roark use 4 super potions on Cranidos before, so yeah, it happens.

Last edited:

Drapionmaster

PokeManiac
    Years
  • This happened when I was battling the elite four.

Me: Dragonite only has one hit left, go Feraligatr!

Lance: Lance used hyper potion on Dragonite.

Me: (Silence) Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttttttttt???????????

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Yeah, it is annoying, kinda like when people make threads in the wrong forum. Come on people, there's a forum called General Pokemon Gaming for a reason - use it please?

Years
  • Ah, yes. I've learned to expect it, though- any major/boss Trainer battle includes items, ie Full Restore (or the Potion line, depending where you are in the game). It's just the way they go. However, I've noticed that the Trainer only uses one item on a Pokemon- for example, Cynthia's Togekiss is in Red HP. You choose to attack again, and naturally there's a short pause, a sound effect, and then that terrible text: "Champion Cynthia used Full Restore!".
    The attack you selected brings Togekiss back down to red. And that's it- you attack again, bye-bye Togekiss. I suppose this'd have to happen, else some Trainer's would be impossible to beat. There's also a limit to the amount of items the Trainers can use in a battle (which is also a factor in the difficulty of a Trainer)- in the GBA games it's 4, anyway, but I'm not sure about Gen IV games.
    It doesn't really get me anymore, I get the health to about middle-yellow (ie, leaving just enough for the game to think it's safe). Then I go all out, and bam- win:)

Left4Dead

Are you mental in the face?
    Years
  • Me Vs Cynthia
    1 Pokemon left each

Garchomp used Earthquake - Super effective!
    *Empoleon at red health*
    Empoleon used Hydro Pump - Critical Hit!
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!
    *Garchomp at red health*
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    *Cynthia used full restore*
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....
    Empoleon used Hydro Pump
    Checks bag for any healing items... none
    DOUBLE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....
    Garchomp used Earthquake
    Empoleon fainted
    TRIPLE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....

GAME OVER, YOU LOSE, HAHA, SHOULDA BROUGHT MORE HEALING ITEMS, NOOB! WHO'S THE CHAMP BIATCH!!!

I swear Cynthia said that after she beat me... lol ;)

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • I usually test the waters first and see how effective certain moves are so that I can get them as low as possible without hitting the red zone (which I eventually figured out was what made them use a potion) before going in for the kill. And, as someone above me already mentioned, if I accidentally get them in the red zone, I've learned to use a strong move anyways, expecting a healing potion.

Back