• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

older teens and adults, what brings you to Pokémon?

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
  • Mostly, I was a fan early on in the second gen and I never really got out of Pokemon. Additionally, I'm a fan of video games that resemble older RPGs like Final Fantasy IV for the SNES or ones that haven't really changed their basic format/concept. People may think it's kind of lame, but I hate it when game series change too drastically just to appeal to new types of players. It really destroys them.

Years
  • I don't play a lot of games. Pokemon is a tradition between me and my nephew. I got him into it and we've always played every game. X&Y is a great game and I think everyone should play it Young & Old ... Like Tetris

Ludds

I am British
    Years
  • I guess I liked it when I was younger so I will also have a soft spot for it. Also my little bro is madly into it so I never really had a chance to stop liking it. Besides, they are just good games, is that not reason enough? ;)

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    To put it simply: I enjoy it. But really.. Pokemon has just been a part of my life nearly all my life. It's something that will never go away. Some kids join Jr Football and grow up to be pros. They still play their child appropriate game in adulthood, so why can't I?

I'd go as far as to say the Pokemon games aren't geared for kids- their geared for all ages like some other Nintendo games. The Pokemon anime and toys might be more children oriented than the game ( though I enjoy the toys and anime too.)

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • I don't know really. Guess I've been playing it so long now that it wouldn't feel right to not play them.

Floette

Fairy Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2013
    I just turned 25, and I've been playing since Blue, and I can't imagine stopping. I have a stressful job and a fair number of medical problems, and Pokémon is one of my escapes. Knowing I can get my 3DS out and sit and play for 10 minutes, hatch some eggs, play Amie, evolve some Pokémon, means a lot to me.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2013
    Pokémon has been a part of my life since I was little. I stopped playing after Diamond and recently came back for Pokémon X, but another thing I like is that they are still making new games and episodes after all this time.

SilverCrown

Fired Up!
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 6, 2022
    Been a fan of Pokemon since the very first episode/game. Will probably always play the newest games when they're released, since it's takes you back to when it first started. Plus, to see how Pokemon change throughout the generations is one of the biggest reasons I keep coming back. :)

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • pokemon has been with me for a long time. For me I play pokemon because it helps me escape from the stress of been a parent of a toddler and the stress of problem I face.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen May 2, 2022
    For the same reason almost everyone has. We played as kids and we just grew up with it.
    Yeah, pretty much that.
    Started with yellow edition as a kid and just went on. I didn't finish Diamond and totally skipped on B2/W2, but other than that I played at least 1 game of every generation.

The power of my fascination for Pokémon changes over the years. Sometimes I'm really interested in the games and the community, but other times I don't really care for Pokémon news. But since I grew up with Pokémon and it always was with me in my life (hell, I tought myself reading/writing with that 1st gen 150 pokémon poster.) I'm always at least a tiny bit interested in what's new with Pokémon. My friends are too. Even if we are not totally into Pokémon right now, we still occasionally go something like "Hey, did you hear? Lickitung has an evolution in the next game. lol".

But then again, I'm "just" 20 years old and I saw an infograph recently that showed, most of the Pokémon players are either between 8 - 11 years young or between 19 - 24 years old. So I'm still part of the main demographic I guess...

But even when I'm 50 I will at least be mildly interested in Pokémon. It's already amazing how it changed since the 90s.

-- Matt

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • Like many, I grew up with it. And- despite being mainly targeted towards kids and gameplay that can often border on mind-numbing- it still remains fun. A lot of the changes introduced in X/Y ensure that I'm gonna be playing for some time still.

RimasLT

My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333
    Years
  • Me - brother , we are exact same age ( 20 ) and we started playing like 9-10 year old ( I really do not remeber ) He get Ruby & I get Saphhire versions & always between us was competitive battling , but unfortunatly he always beat me with his Blaziken ( My Sceptile was no oponent for him ) But sometimes I defeated him when my Sceptile reached lvl 100 :D ) And now I still play pokemon and love to meet people who like them too :) ( not many in Lithuania )

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I was a crazy Pokefan during Gen I & II. I started to lose interest during Gen III and I lost complete interest during Gen IV. When I saw the Pokemon from Gen V I started being one of those genwunners saying those aren't Pokemon, blabla. But when I saw my favorite Pokemon game being remade (HG & SS) I just HAD to buy it. After a few plays, I decided I wanted to try Pokemon B&W, and I loved them. So I guess you could say HeartGold & SoulSilver brought me back to Pokemon :)

Thief

The Dark One
    Years
  • I'm 17 if I count. I've just grown up with it ever since Red was released, and I love the general theme/concept of the game.

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    Well, you see, I've actually have been playing Pokemon for... maybe 10 or 11 years now? I'm only 16 though... Pokemon is really just a natural thing to me now and something I really enjoy doing. That's why I blew all of my hard-earned savings from the summer on a 3DS- just so I could play Pokemon Y and continue playing Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    I think it's 50/50 with the whole idea of it being targeted for kids, because there's a lot of gritty dark reference and actions in the games that kids wouldn't necessarily pick up on, but adults do; especially those who have grown with the franchise since Gen 1, such as myself. I'm still into Pokemon because it's a part of my childhood that I can't and don't want to let go. Playing Pokemon has always provided me with fun times and good memories, and it still does, to this day, and because that's pretty much a massive source of entertainment for me, I'm still hanging on.

Years
  • A heavy, heavy layer of nostalgia is what keeps me coming to pokemon. That and the fact that through Nuzlocke challenges pokemon can provide a kinda unique emotional challenge to gaming that I've encountered in few other places.

Back