• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

One film for a year challenge. (Suggest your favorites).

Years
    • Seen today
    Being under a rock about movies, I thought this would be a fun way to learn about film. I will be watching one movie per day for a year. So far it has been:

JANUARY:

1/1: The Iron Claw (+)
    1/2 Wonka (+)
    1/3 Gran Torino
    1/4 Robo Cop
    1/5 Training Day
    1/6 Jurassic Park
    1/7 How to Train Your Dragon
    1/8 Stand by Me
    1/9 The Strangers
    1/10 A Fistful of Dollars
    1/11 For a Few More Dollars (+)
    1/12 The Lion King
    1/13 Mulan
    1/14 Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
    1/15 Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
    1/16 Up
    1/17 Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
    1/18 Dumbo
    1/19 The Mule
    1/20 Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (+)
    1/21 The Good The Bad and The Ugly
    1/22 The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    1/23 The Great Mouse Detective (+)
    1/24 Toy Story
    1/25 Toy Story 2
    1/26 Toy Story 3
    1/27 The Sword in the Stone
    1/28 The Wizard of Oz (+)
    1/29 Mean Creek
    1/30 A Silent Voice
    1/31 The Fox and The Hound

FEBURARY:

2/1 The Jungle Book
    2/2 Snowpiercer
    2/3 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
    2/4 Oliver and Company
    2/5 Bambi
    2/6 Society of the Snow
    2/7 L.A Confidential
    2/8 High Plains Drifter (+)
    2/9 The Sting
    2/10 Fight Club
    2/11 Stagecoach
    2/12 Shrek
    2/13 All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)
    2/14 Pulp Fiction
    2/15 Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    2/16 Hacksaw Ridge (+)
    2/17 Boyz n the Hood
    2/18 Superbad
    2/19 Shot Caller
    2/20 Once Upon a Time in the West
    2/21 Weird: The Al Yankovic Story
    2/22 Seven
    2/23 Chinatown
    2/24 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
    2/25 Anaconda
    2/26 A Man Called Otto (2022)
    2/27 Dawn of the Dead (2004)
    2/28 Gravity
    2/29 Train To Busan

MARCH:

3/1: What Happened to Monday?
    3/2: Circle
    3/3 Orion and the Dark
    3/4 No Hard Feelings
    3/5 Two Distant Strangers
    3/6 Deadpool
    3/7 Rim of the World
    3/8 Blood and Bone
    3/9 Deadpool 2
    3/10 Zion
    3/11 If anything happens I love you
    3/12 Canvas
    3/13 Remember the Titans
    3/14 The First Purge
    3/15 Forgive Us Our Trespasses
    3/16 Shazam
    3/17 The Babadook
    3/18 The Present
    3/19 Forrest Gump
    3/20 Steamboat Willy
    3/21 Godzilla 1954
    3/22 Burn E
    3/23 Your Friend The Rat
    3/24 Wind
    3/25 Godzilla Raids Again
    3/26 #Alive
    3/27 Quiet on the Set (episode 1)
    3/28 Quiet on the Set (episodes 2, 3, 4, and 5). series finished.
    3/29 A Love Song for Latasha
    3/30 For the Birds
    3/31 Self

April:

4/1 The Hunger Games
    4/2 The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
    4/3 The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
    4/4 The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2
    4/5 Knick Knack
    4/6 Little Shop of Horrors
    4/7 Kill Bill Volume 1
    4/8 Kill Bill Volume 2
    4/9 Inglorious Bastards
    4/10 Django Unchained
    4/11 Reservoir Dogs
    4/12 Born on the Fourth of July
    4/13 Léon The Professional
    4/14 Lava
    4/15 Devil in a Blue Dress
    4/16 Enter the Dragon
    4/17 Rust Creek
    4/18 Escape from Alcatraz
    4/19 Miracle in Cell No. 7 (2019 Turkish version)
    4/20 Lifted
    4/21 Tombstone
    4/22 Annie (+)
    4/23 The Hateful Eight
    4/24 Death Proof
    4/25 Treasure Planet
    4/26 Rocky
    4/27 Tin Toy
    4/28 Thin Blue Line
    4/29 The After
    4/30 Heart Shot

MAY:

5/1 The Green Mile
    5/2 Burrow
    5/3 Madagascar

My viewing habits are random. But if anybody wants to help with this and suggest some films I will eventually watch them. I will watch any genre. I have access to most streaming services so availability isn't an issue.

Notes:

The + symbol is a personal reminder that I watched the movie with others and not on my own.

I almost always watch the original version of movies. Not remakes. If I watch a remake I'll specify it.

Thanks

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen Feb 25, 2024
    Being under a rock about movies, I thought this would be a fun way to learn about film. I will be watching one movie per day for a year. So far it has been:

1/1: The Iron Claw (+)
    1/2 Wonka (+)
    1/3 Gran Torino
    1/4 Robo Cop
    1/5 Training Day
    1/6 Jurassic Park
    1/7 How to Train Your Dragon
    1/8 Stand by Me
    1/9 The Strangers
    1/10 A Fistful of Dollars
    1/11 For a Few More Dollars (+)
    1/12 The Lion King
    1/13 Mulan
    1/14 Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
    1/15 Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
    1/16 Up

My viewing habits are random. But if anybody wants to help with this and suggest some films I will eventually watch them. I will watch any genre. I have access to most streaming services so availability isn't an issue.

The + symbol is a personal reminder that I watched the the movie with others and not on my own.

Thanks
    Freak The Mighty, What if with Daniel Radcliffe, and Interstella 5555.

The storyline of Freak The Mighty is very similar as my life in 4th grade with my friend with a similar disability who got me to start reading novels. Specifically The Ship Wreck Mystery by Hardy Brothers.

Days
    • Seen Feb 25, 2024
    I don't know if you watched the movie already, but if you're a fan of Weird Al, I'd suggest Weird: The Al Yankovic Story.
    That movie is exactly how I would expected to be with Al having creative control or at least some. Daniel Ratcliffe kills it in that movie. Oh and the Sharknado movies, all of em. Masterpiece after masterpiece. And if you like anime Berserk is my favorite, it has made me more emotional than any other anime, the second time doubly so.

Years
    • Seen today
    @Hermione Granger I know about Weird Al but I haven't watched his movie. Will do so.

My knowledge of movies is shallow. Watched random low budget religious films in theater with my family over the years. Watched an occasional movie in theaters with my older sister (Knives Out, Cocaine Bear). Watched the Infinity Saga for Marvel. I liked the Godzilla movies as a kid and I try to see the new ones when applicable.

@Thizguy Haven't watched anime but not against it. Shall keep them in mind.

As for recent films, I liked Pirates of the Caribbean and Star Wars was fun. I plan to watch the sequels.

Years
    • Seen today
    @Thizguy Haven't seen or heard of that one. Will keep it in mind.

In terms of a personal watch list it will be:

The Batman
    Braveheart
    The Good Bad and The Ugly
    Raging Bull
    Joker (2019)
    Gravity
    Lord of the Rings trilogy.

And of course everything suggested today. Depending on time constraints or mood I might watch a short disney animation.

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen Feb 25, 2024
    @Thizguy Haven't seen or heard of that one. Will keep it in mind.

In terms of a personal watch list it will be:

The Batman
    Braveheart
    The Good Bad and The Ugly
    Raging Bull
    Joker (2019)
    Gravity
    Lord of the Rings trilogy.

And of course everything suggested today. Depending on time constraints or mood I might watch a short disney animation.
    Interstella 5555 is a movie long music video by Daft Punk, like the wall but animated.

Years
    • Seen today
    @Thizguy I'm willing to watch it. I enjoyed what I saw from fantasia which was two hours of sheer music. Eventually I'll go through the rest of that too.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I've watched more animated movies, but I was kind of in the same boat as you. Movies just aren't my thing so I haven't seen a lot.

I do recommend: Inside Out, The Secret of NIMH, Black Cauldron, and Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Curious to hear your thoughts on The Batman. Will you be watching any of the older Batman films?

Years
    • Seen today
    @Astinus I have seen Inside Out. I'm familiar with Pixar because they usually release films directly on my birthday. Became tradition to see them.

Absolutely will watch any Disney animation.

So I've watched the first two movies in The Dark Knight trilogy. (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight). I haven't watched The Dark Knight Rises. Haven't seen the more ancient Batman films. I've also played the entirety of Arkham Asylum so I'm familiar enough with the characters now.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing The Batman. It'll be soon.

Years
  • Beautiful idea Zeo and I can't wait to see how this pans out over the year!!! ❤️

I will definitely add some suggestions to this but the suggestion of Weird Al is a really good one. It's a fantastically fun film, especially if you know anything about him but that's not a requirement honestly! Had me in stitches at points!

If you struggle for ideas for the whole year then you could consider watching a series of films - something like the James Bond movies, or everything in the Star Wars franchise or any series you haven't already binged on. That could fill quite a few slots when you're really stuck.

Years
    • Seen today
    @Starlight That same idea occurred to me today. I'd like to watch most of the original disney animations, then at the end of the year watch Once Upon a Studio.

Today I watched The Empire Strikes Back. I'll go through all the star wars films. Not all at once, but it'll be a long term goal with this.

Years
  • @Starlight That same idea occurred to me today. I'd like to watch most of the original disney animations, then at the end of the year watch Once Upon a Studio.

Today I watched The Empire Strikes Back. I'll go through all the star wars films. Not all at once, but it'll be a long term goal with this.

I started a watch-through of every Disney feature film from earliest to latest and got up to 2001 I think. I need to get back on that!

Years
    • Seen today
    @Starlight So I actually watched quite a few disney films at the end of last year. (Not part of this yearly thing).

Pinocchio, Beauty and the Beast, Hercules, Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, Nightmare Before Christmas, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland.

My absolute favorite was Mulan, which I only watched a few days ago. It completely surprised me.

Years
    • Seen today
    January has been a very good month for picks and overall I'm happy with what I watched.

Hit my first rough patch today with Sword in the Stone. This was a slog. No compelling characters, boring art style and animation, boring story.

It didn't feel like a Disney movie. There was no charm or heart. I've had a few I consider 'not incredible'. (Dumbo for example). But I would have to completely knock this on the bottom if I were ranking them. >.>

Back