• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

One Region or More?

ManInTheMask

Pro Hacker
Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2016
    ManInTheMask here! Would you rather perfer your rom hack to have one region, like in Ruby/Sapphire, or more than one region in your game, like the Sevii Islands in Fire Red/Leaf Green?

Also, I'd like to know about any islands included, because a group of islands counts as a region, unlike the Ruby/Sapphire Battle Tower Island.

slowbro42

The World's Worst Hacker
    Years
  • the more the merrier. It keeps for a long and enjoyable game play. My hacking ideas are based around: what will keep the player interested and is there a lot of things to do. So the more areas to explore means there are more things to do. Exploring is fun for me and I like big maps too.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2019
    If the ROM has enough space for it, my region may well encompass multiple World Map images (effectively making it multi-region).

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    As many as the rom sze will allow, but think that too many and the game will be too repetativp

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    Map size allowance goes without even saying. If someone can pull it off, why not? It's not like it's a bad thing or whatever.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I always loved going to the Sevii Islands in Firered/Leafgreen, so I like having multiple regions. Some people really go too far though.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
    Years
    • Seen today
    I think I'd rather have one main region, and smaller parts of another. Like Rijion and Johto. Especially if it's a game that takes place in the future, or past, since then you can show what the region was like after or before the mainstream games.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • More regions equals more adventure... Although I dunno how feasible it would be to implement it in a GBA ROM.

Although if you focus on one region it would probably be easier to make more events.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    In my opinion, it would be best to focus on one region, then after finishing if you have room left start a second region or some sidequested islands.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • I think that if theres more regions and places to explore it improves the gameplay experience. Like one person said that it means you'll have more to do, but if its repetitive like battle all 8 gyms again for no reason then I think theres really no point.

DaleFails

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
    Years
    • Seen today
    Defffo more if possible, just be sure to keep them all even more entertaining as you go through.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Umm guys, you can expand your ROM so much that it's bigger than a whole movie (figuratively speaking) from XSE..

So, many more regions than just two or three can be included in a hack. I know somebody who has Johto and Kanto in one hack and hasn't even expanded the ROM's space yet.
    To answer your point, yeah I'd love as many regions as possible in a hack! Makes it alot more interesting, long and exciting.

But if you're asking this for your hack, let me say this: don't worry about second or third regions yet, just focus on the first one to make things easier.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    If you have the space after you're done with one region, then you might as well add another!

Destiny Demon said:
    More regions equals more adventure...

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
  • It goes against my original plan, but my team (Rain River) is actually willing to replace the Sevii Islands with all 5 other regions. Originally I thought 5 regions was a crazy idea, but it's just a matter of pulling it off good.

bobvs

Music Composer/Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I prefer several continents, but, its just my opinion

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
    Years
  • Hm...very touchy subject for me...more regions is more fun and adventure, but if you add alot of regions, don't you think your pokemon would be the highest level after the second region, so it's also based on difficulty of a hack, not to mention this idea is getting to unoriginal for me.I wouldn't mind just adding specific areas of a region.

SK3

Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO
    Years
  • Hm...very touchy subject for me...more regions is more fun and adventure, but if you add alot of regions, don't you think your pokemon would be the highest level after the second region, so it's also based on difficulty of a hack, not to mention this idea is getting to unoriginal for me.I wouldn't mind just adding specific areas of a region.

Yeah I basically agree with this, the whole "second region" thing is getting a bit cliche to me. The whole Kanto-Johto thing was pretty cool but too many people are imitating it and the whole idea behind it is becoming lackluster now. I plan to just have extras areas added to my region post-Elite 4.

>Dante<

Call me Steven
    Years
  • well, I think that more regions are better than one, however...complete a region is not so simple. However, I believe that in a hack, the best idea is to put a new region and one alredy existing (for example Kanto, Hoenn, etc..)

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I think the whole multiple region thing is seeming to get cliché simply because of how many people like to have multiple regions due pretty much only for the reason of having multiple regions. So in my opinion, you really should at least consider having an actual reason for adding another region. Since the rom does have the capacity for multiple regions, it is in my opinion that unless you have a good reason to add another region, you should simply use the space to make your one region some huge super-region big enough to take up the space that multiple regions could be fit inside it (not literally) So instead of adding a new region that will probably be completely unrelated to the main story of the first region anyway, you might want to consider simply expanding your region. Would make getting to the gyms and such feel like an actual accomplishment as opposed to having a gym in every town.

Back