• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Optimism vs. Pessimism

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • Would you say you are someone who is optimistic, or pessimistic? How do you feel about those who are the one of the other?

If you're unclear of the terms:

Being optimistic refers to having a positive outlook on things, while a pessimist is pretty much the opposite - someone who has a negative outlook on things.

For me? Well, I guess I'd be optimistic; I guess it really shows more when I was at high school: whenever I got a bad grade at say...an assignment, I would usually just say: "Eh; I'll get a higher mark next time around".

Last edited:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • Arguably its a scale, but its not what I'm trying to ask -- its just something on how you view on outlooks of life so to speak.

Like, the "Is the glass half empty or half full?" question.

Years
  • I will tell you what I am.

I am a realist. The power of Darkness aids me in seeing things truly for what they are. Those affiliated with the Light are generally blinded optimistically. Those who cannot control the power of Darkness are generally blinded pessimistically.

Trying to be realistic about situations is the logical approach to take. For only with such an analysis can one even have any chance of attempting to predict the consequences and/or formulate a strategy to deal with the situation at hand.

Ayselipera

I tend to be optimistic when dealing with other people's problems, but when it comes to my own I lean on the pessimistic side.

Years
  • I am and always have been a naturally pessimistic person, but i do try my best to be a positive person :D nobody really like a pessimistic person.
    My pessimistic side does come out to play every now and again though x3

Years
  • I lean a lot towards pessimism. I always assume the worst is going to happen. Earlier in my life, I did this so I'd be prepared for the worst, and the best would just be a nice bonus. I realize now that it's silly but it's very hard to be optimistic.

I wish I were a realist, but in the end, I'm just too paranoid and always think of the worst possible situation. :/

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I have mood swings between optimism and pessimissm. I try to be optimistic, but sometimes I just wind up... drowning in my own negative emotions. Then I go find someone to try and get a hug from. Dx

I definitely have a generally optimistic outlook though.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I used to be pessimistic, but now I'm more optimistic. And for me everything went more smoothly with optimistic thinking.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.

I'm usually a quite optimistic person. It helps that I always remember what goes well, but tend to ignore what doesn't happen as I expected.

King Of The Blues

Still got the Blues, For you.
    Years
  • I'd lean towards optimism myself. I'm positive most of the time and I do have great visions of my future. I rarely look at the bad things of life.

I use to be pessimistic as a little kid though but that was probably just to be a nuisance. lol

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • I would decribe myself as an optimistic realist.
    I rarely view things from their worst side, but more so the positive, but realistic side. I think I'm quite capable of guessing what is attainable, and what isn't. But I'll try to get the possitive side as well. One example is during exam period: I always tell myself that I'll do my best, as you can't do more than your best (realist), but even if I fail an exam, sure, I'll be sad for a bit, but it's not the end of the world, I'll get another chance to redeem myself after all.(optimist)

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Pessimism for me. I've never once thought of the glass half full. I'm always the one out of my friends to view the bad things and the consequences. I'm mostly always looking at the bad side of things than the good side, and that's what people don't like about me x.x

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Pessimism seems more intelligent, which is really too bad—it means that we tend to value negative outlooks as more likely and more valuable.

I really prefer optimism. I think it's hard to be optimistic right now, because the internet is making us much more aware of how much sadness there is in the world. But it also brings us a lot of culture we've never been able to share before.

Be happy! Yeah, optimism means you're more likely to be let down. If the goal is to maximize happiness, however, it seems odd to me to start with an attitude that's negative, not positive, with the hope of minimizing letdowns instead.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • Hm, a bit of both. I try to be more optimistic, but too often I look at the negative side a lot more, just because I doubt myself a lot and get anxious over every little thing. I think optimistic realist is a solid choice. You can have a positive outlook on life, but don't let that cloud your judgment on what's possible and what's not.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Optimistic realist. You can't let far-fetched hopes obscure reality, but if you're too negative you can't function properly within reality. Sometimes I get too optimistic about the future, and I end up not learning from the past.

Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2011
    I'm a realist. I never think everything is going to be alright or it's all gonna go sour. I just take the realistic point of view :x
    I'd say the same, but i stoped and thought, no one is totally realistic. Everyone has a world view that is not tottaly real, it's always modified by your thoughts, point of view, etc.

Back